ADVERTISEMENT

New Earthlike planet found in the "Goldilocks zone" of potential liquid water only 20 years away

Here's a question for the brainiacs (Jreed...)

If we can go 20% of the speed of light would the time of communication with the craft be affected by the effects of traveling near speed of light speeds? You know those theories of if we traveled at light speed for 4.5 years, us on earth would have actually aged longer? If the craft arrived in 20% of light years time would our communications with it actually take longer because of the warp speed stuff?

I have no idea if what I just typed made any sense, my head is trying to explode.

If we can go 20% of the speed of light would the time of communication with the craft be effected by the effects of traveling near speed of light speeds? You know those theories of if we traveled at light speed for 4.5 years, us on earth would have actually aged longer? If the craft arrived in 20% of light years time would our communications with it actually take longer because of the warp speed stuff?

No problems so long as they stay below ludicrous speed. Beyond plaid is anyone's guess.

So 20% of ludicrous speed would not give 20% of those effects? Sounds ludicrous ;)

If my math is right that's would be only about 134 million mph. Good luck with that.

Reactions: noleclone2
So 20% of ludicrous speed would not give 20% of those effects? Sounds ludicrous ;)

If my math is right that's would be only about 134 million mph. Good luck with that.
Really blows your mind that going 134 million mph it would take 20 years to get to one of the closest stars.

I really am stating to think I am a Sim and none of this is real!

Reactions: FSUTribe76
No problems so long as they stay below ludicrous speed. Beyond plaid is anyone's guess.

ludicrous_speed_tshirt-d235463341541178822t5he_210.jpg

Yes, and last I heard it would take 10 years at best before a probe of that type could be ready. I assume this is in reference to the probes being sent by light sail that Hawking was in discussions about?

We need to quit bailing out Wall Street and build some space shiot...

Reactions: FSUTribe76

If we can go 20% of the speed of light would the time of communication with the craft be affected by the effects of traveling near speed of light speeds? You know those theories of if we traveled at light speed for 4.5 years, us on earth would have actually aged longer? If the craft arrived in 20% of light years time would our communications with it actually take longer because of the warp speed stuff?.

Communications travel at the speed of light..........so after the craft got there, it would only take 4.2 year to receive the signal. How fast the craft traveled to get there has no bearing on the speed of communications.

Now, during the travel to get to the planet there would be a "stretching" (known as a red-shift with stars) of the communications..........but not really sure our aging would be affected much.

Now, during the travel to get to the planet there would be a "stretching" (known as a red-shift with stars) of the communications..........but not really sure our aging would be affected much.

The proposed probe doesn't have passengers, but if we imagined people making a two decade journey there accelerating up to 20% the speed of light, then turning around and coming back, those us on earth would age 4 decades, but the space travelers would not have experienced 4 decades of time passing themselves.

Scott Kelly is about .01 seconds younger than his twin due to his year on the ISS.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
The proposed probe doesn't have passengers, but if we imagined people making a two decade journey there accelerating up to 20% the speed of light, then turning around and coming back, those us on earth would age 4 decades, but the space travelers would not have experienced 4 decades of time passing themselves.

Scott Kelly is about .01 seconds younger than his twin due to his year on the ISS.

Okay, I gotcha........then I would agree.

I guess that answers my question... I was wondering if the effect on time only takes place when you travel at the speed of light. So traveling 20% of the speed of light should effect time by 20%.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT