ADVERTISEMENT

No More Day Light Savings in Florida

The bigger issue for me is eliminating the twice-a-year time change. Hope it passes and Congress approves it.

I dont want it. I dont want it to still be dark at 8am, dont want 9pm Saturday Night Nole games. dont want Monday night football starting at 930pm, etc

Reactions: DanC78
If this passes, I'll basically be coming home an hour later every day when its not DST in Georgia.

Frankfurt, Germany is as far north as Calgary, Canada. I remember in the summers being called in for bedtime and it was daylight outside. Seemed unfair.

oSERo4Q.png

Grew up in Indiana, the land of farmers, and we didn't change to DST growing up. I just thought all my favorite shows came on earlier (or later)!

So what's the process now? The Governor signs and then we petition US Congress to allow it?

So what's the process now? The Governor signs and then we petition US Congress to allow it?
The Senate bill has its final hearing today in committee and would still have to pass the full Senate in the next couple of weeks (March 9 is the scheduled end of session this year). But, after that, the Governor would have to sign into law and the Congress would have to allow it.

The Senate bill has its final hearing today in committee and would still have to pass the full Senate in the next couple of weeks (March 9 is the scheduled end of session this year). But, after that, the Governor would have to sign into law and the Congress would have to allow it.
What would the arguments be for congress not allowing it?

What would the arguments be for congress not allowing it?

The same that some others have made here. That it can cause issues for businesses, international travel complications for airlines for example, hardships for those who live in other states and commute to Florida.

I think those would all be non-starters if we chose to fight it legally since we have proof that it works ok with Arizona. I think the biggest hindrance would be Congress actually picking it up. I don't think we can force them, so it would require our representatives trying to get a bill to the floor that would allow it. They could simply ignore it for years.

The same that some others have made here. That it can cause issues for businesses, international travel complications for airlines for example, hardships for those who live in other states and commute to Florida.

I think those would all be non-starters if we chose to fight it legally since we have proof that it works ok with Arizona. I think the biggest hindrance would be Congress actually picking it up. I don't think we can force them, so it would require our representatives trying to get a bill to the floor that would allow it. They could simply ignore it for years.

Lol at the idea of Congress doing anything of substance.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can states just decide on this and determine what time it is? I realize there is something I am missing but it seems like there would be more to it than that.

How can states just decide on this and determine what time it is? I realize there is something I am missing but it seems like there would be more to it than that.
They can't. They still have to get Congressional approval. This bill is asking Congress for that authority.

I really hope this gets the ball rolling on the entire country picking one time and sticking with it. The whole changing times twice a year is a pain in the a$$, especially when there are already states which do not do it any longer.

Personally I would prefer Daylight Savings Time instead of Standard Time, but pick one and let's stick to it.

I really hope this gets the ball rolling on the entire country picking one time and sticking with it. The whole changing times twice a year is a pain in the a$$, especially when there are already states which do not do it any longer.

Personally I would prefer Daylight Savings Time instead of Standard Time, but pick one and let's stick to it.

This. There are just some things that I can only do after work on weekdays that require the sun and such... that extra hour helps me a TON.

Reactions: ericram

Saving

Reactions: DFSNOLE
They can't. They still have to get Congressional approval. This bill is asking Congress for that authority.

We are going to leave this up to Congress?? In what century do they plan on getting around to it?

I prefer standard time myself. But stick to one. Every year when we "fall back" it takes weeks for the cats to adjust as they trample us in bed asking why they have not been fed yet.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
It's far past time the entire country just pick one standard time and stick to it. This whole switching back and forth is ridiculous. Let's either all get on standard time or all on DST and just stay there.

It's far past time the entire country just pick one standard time and stick to it. This whole switching back and forth is ridiculous. Let's either all get on standard time or all on DST and just stay there.
Nah. Either make it daylight savings year round or leave it as is. I want some daylight after the work day is done at least part of the year.

It is a small number, but there is an increase in fatal auto accidents following the spring shift due to sleep, late drivers. That alone means we should stick to time with sunlight later in the day. It will be bumpy though unless other states join in.

Reactions: runkpanole
It is a small number, but there is an increase in fatal auto accidents following the spring shift due to sleep, late drivers. That alone means we should stick to time with sunlight later in the day. It will be bumpy though unless other states join in.
Same with heart attacks

Reactions: noleclone2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT