ADVERTISEMENT

"Old Dixie Highway" to be re-named "Barack Obama Highway"?

JohnnieHolmesNole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Just wow.

I guess any references to "Dixie" must go. Cross City, Florida: look out.....we may soon be changing the name of your entire freaking county.

If this true, that's absolutely ridiculous. More and more about our society these days just makes me have the feeling of things spinning outta control and nothing I can do to stop it. That's crazy. I'm not a big political, media type of guy but I really do feel like there are some broad problems that are spreading throughout our country like a disease. It sucks

I suspect that the demographics of Riviera Beach have changed and this is an issue addressed at the local government level....ah, I love the smell of democracy in the morning....

What Belem is referring to is the new normal in America: who whines most and loudest gets what they want. Temper tantrums are called "social activism", but the end is the same whether it's children or "adults": make me feel good or i will loudly draw attention to myself, in ever-escalating fury, until the parents (or government) coddle me. And the attention i get for myself is as valuable as the results.

And what do you know? Squeaky wheel gets the grease, and suddenly everybody's wheels are squeaking.

Want something? Then start whining.

Reactions: firenole50
What Belem is referring to is the new normal in America: who whines most and loudest gets what they want. Temper tantrums are called "social activism", but the end is the same whether it's children or "adults": make me feel good or i will loudly draw attention to myself, in ever-escalating fury, until the parents (or government) coddle me. And the attention i get for myself is as valuable as the results.

And what do you know? Squeaky wheel gets the grease, and suddenly everybody's wheels are squeaking.

Want something? Then start whining.

You live in a country that was started by men that didn't want to pay their taxes so they dressed up like Indians and threw tea into Boston Harbor.....I think our "whining" has evolved quite a bit.

Things get renamed all the time. Offensive names get removed all the time and usually no one cares. No one rallies when the USGS changes the name of a hill from "Squaw Tit" to "Golden Dome". But you southern boys are something else.
And Presidents get crap named after them all the time. I've driven on Ronald Reagan Highway many times. I didn't throw a temper tantrum about what it was called before. I didn't care, I just continued on to where I was going.

Things get renamed all the time. Offensive names get removed all the time and usually no one cares. No one rallies when the USGS changes the name of a hill from "Squaw Tit" to "Golden Dome". But you southern boys are something else.
And Presidents get crap named after them all the time. I've driven on Ronald Reagan Highway many times. I didn't throw a temper tantrum about what it was called before. I didn't care, I just continued on to where I was going.
You're missing the whole point. They're not renaming it just to rename it. They're doing it because of its current name. There is nothing wrong with changing something's name, especially to honor a president but to do so out of sheer irrational complaints, is silly.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
The locals petitioned the local government to change the name of a local street. No federal or state intrusion....what's the problem here. This is how democracy works.

Reactions: LesClaypool
You're missing the whole point. They're not renaming it just to rename it. They're doing it because of its current name. There is nothing wrong with changing something's name, especially to honor a president but to do so out of sheer irrational complaints, is silly.

I'm not missing the point. I mentioned other names that were changed because they were deemed to be no longer acceptable, like Squaw Tit, or ****** Head Hill. A few people probably thought those were just fine as they were too.

How the Redskins are getting through this recent era unscathed is amazing to me.

You live in a country that was started by men that didn't want to pay their taxes so they dressed up like Indians and threw tea into Boston Harbor.....I think our "whining" has evolved quite a bit.

Of course it's evolved. It's evolved from people protesting threats to their livelihood to people protesting things that don't, to the sensitive, sound nice. It's evolved from things that mattered to life and livelihood to things that matter to our-- or rather, SOMEONE's-- sensitive feelings.

What's evolved is peoples' ever-lower thresholds for that which feels "offensive" (witness the emergence and application of the term "micro-aggression", or for that matter, the offense that some people take at the name "Seminoles"), and the ever-fewer number of people around them willing to say "That is plain stupid. Please grow up, or at least complain about something substantial."

Which is, of course, precisely "how democracy works".

Last edited:
Reactions: wdnole
How the Redskins are getting through this recent era unscathed is amazing to me.

How the Seminoles are getting through this recent era unscathed is amazing to me.

Because, of course, if somebody SAYS it's offensive, then it's OFFENSIVE.

I suspect that the demographics of Riviera Beach have changed and this is an issue addressed at the local government level....ah, I love the smell of democracy in the morning....
No. Riviera Beach has been 60+% black, probably closer 80% for 50+ years. US1 through Palm Beach County has been Dixie Hwy forever. This was a mayor using the current climate to push an agenda.

Reactions: Nole Daddy
Winn-Dixie Stores in Riviera beach will probably have to change signs on their stores in the city limits to Winn-Barack Obama Stores. ;)

Reactions: firenole50
Winn-Dixie Stores in Riviera beach will probably have to change signs on their stores in the city limits to Winn-Barack Obama Stores. ;)
Apples and oranges. Public vs private.

They should change their name to Crappy-food

No. Riviera Beach has been 60+% black, probably closer 80% for 50+ years. US1 through Palm Beach County has been Dixie Hwy forever. This was a mayor using the current climate to push an agenda.

Maybe other mayors will get on this and make some quick points by removing any references to "south" from street names, or beaches too. Cause i'd have to assume "south" is offensive the same way "dixie" is. At least, if a citizen petitions to that effect, it obviously is.

"Barack Obama Beach" is much less offensive a name than "South Beach".

Democracy: forward!

We need to take all this political correctness and toss it in the garbage. It has gotten so ridiculously overboard that it's insane. Our society has become wimps and push overs.

In my opinion we need to get back to the basics of right wrong, common sense the Constitution and toughness. Some need to grow a spine, stay employed and support one another

I'm not missing the point. I mentioned other names that were changed because they were deemed to be no longer acceptable, like Squaw Tit, or ****** Head Hill. A few people probably thought those were just fine as they were too.
People need to stop being offended at everything. There is nothing wrong with Squaw Tit. There is nothing wrong with the Confederate Flag and there is nothing wrong with Native Americans using their symbol that resembles a Swastika, There is something wrong with democracy when it results in ignorant mob rule. Honestly these idiots should just get the hell out rather than force their PC crap on those of us with a spine. If they want to name a street after the retard in the oval office then pick a numbered street.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this may be the first road any where in the United States to be named after a US president. Pretty ballsy move.

Henry Flagler burned their homes to the ground after they built his hotel and thus we got Riviera Beach. As a result of their shyster city government, the only way out of Riviera Beach is in a coffin or on a football scholarship. And even those aren't guaranteed.

No reason to be driving on Old Dixie, which is between US1 and I-95, in Riviera Beach lest you have a gun carry permit. They get less traffic, 8,000 cars a day, than a [insert funny reference here], so nobody will even notice. They have high crime, record unemployment and revenue issues, but I'll be glad if they get this done because Barack Obama will replace Martin Luther King as the street you don't want to be....MLK is smiling somewhere today.

On a lighter note, they will be getting a Wawa's soon... :)

baTDTS.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dmm5157
People need to stop being offended at everything. There is nothing wrong with Squaw Tit. There is nothing wrong with the Confederate Flag and there is nothing wrong with Native Americans using their symbol that resembles a Swastika, There is something wrong with democracy when it results in ignorant mob rule. Honestly these idiots should just get the hell out rather than force their PC crap on those of us with a spine. If they want to name a street after the retard in the oval office then pick a numbered street.

I'm offended that you're this offended over people being offended.

Is it just me or does Kiting sound like he's just DYING to drop an N-bomb?

Reactions: tommynole3476
The people you're calling ignorant are likely the same ones calling you ignorant - who's to say you're right?

As for the man in the Oval Office, history will likely see him as one of the best of our generation (not that that's tough to accomplish given Bushes/Reagan ate up 20 years of our lives with policies that put us in the dump to begin with). You may not agree with what he's doing, I'm comfortable knowing your grand kids will one day look back and think that those who opposed him were the fringe crazies of the old days - just as we do when we look at those who supported Wallace as he stood in the school house door. In his time and place, Wallace had tremendous support, but that proved to be the support of those 1000% on the wrong side of history, and worse, humanity.

Reactions: tommynole3476
I'll agree w Kiting that streets should all be numbered and add that they should be on a grid. The benefits are too many to count.

Easier to navigate, fewer segmented neighborhoods that require unnecessary time/driving before accessing a main road, better access to public transportation, improved walk/bikeability <-- apparently not a word.

The era of winding roads ought to come to an end, it was a poor logistical city planning idea to begin with.

Sounds like the Ashley Madison hack has outed Dixie Normous. There will be hell to pay.

As I said, someone fruit loop was probably upset when they removed those too. Now we know who he was.

What on earth would give you that idea? If you have been on this board for any length of time you would realize how ridiculous your statement is.
After reading quite a few of Kiting's posts over the last few months, certainly some of them caused me to double take, and initially I also thought he was just an outright racist. His avatar does him no favors in dispelling that notion. But I don't feel that's the case anymore. Def do not agree with him many many times, but don't think he's a guy trying to hold in the n-word or an outright racist.
Just has some old school notions he's hanging onto, likely out of a misguided clutch on tradition/heritage rather than a fondness for the subjugation of an entire race.

And yes, that's my idea of defending him

Reactions: KitingHigh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT