ADVERTISEMENT

OMG I Feel Old: Hank Aaron and Joe Morgan Using Canes

JohnnieHolmesNole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Watched a little of the All-Star Game last night. I know everyone is getting older, but it was really painful to see Hank Aaron and Joe Morgan using canes to get around. Love those guys, and wish them nothing but the best. But it was hard for me to see that.

Oh, man, that is sad. I remember when Hank broke Ruth's record in '74, and Joe Morgan was my favorite player as a kid and the reason I wore the number 8. I remember he had that twitch he did with his back elbow while waiting on the pitcher to deliver.

I have since researched this, and I see that Aaron had knee replacement surgery in 2011-ish, and Morgan had the same thing roughly 13 months ago. I am not an orthopedic expert, but I would think "those issues" would be resolved by now. Maybe not. Also, I am mindful that Aaron is 81 years old. Still, it was unsettling to see such formerly-great athletes using canes under any circumstances.

On the good side, both sounded fine and seemed "clear," so they are seemingly not dealing with any dementia or neurological problems. But I am now convinced that I am much older than I think I am.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT