ADVERTISEMENT

State of Florida appreciation thread

I have come to realize in the last few years that I LOVE my state. I think it started out going to Tally and spending time there. One of my best (probably THE best) friends moved his family there and we started spending more time in the area. They live out in the country, off of Tram. It may have started before that, with trips we took to Sarasota, Sanibel, Captiva, etc. a few years ago.

So, just driving out to see them and seeing the little towns out that way was interesting, and I noticed that I was reacting emotionally to the sights. There was nothing super spectacular, just old houses, farmland, trees, and swamps.

And then we started kayaking. We went to the Santa Fe, Wacissa, Silver, Rainbow, etc. etc. Freaking Crystal River! I wanted to MOVE there when I saw it. I absolutely love going to springs. We don't have super great hiking or waterfalls like in the mountains, but we have some good trails and I'd much rather bike here than in the hills, that's for sure. Then you have the neat little towns like Mount Dora.

I want to win the lottery so I can buy as many acres as possible and donate them to the parks system.

I feel like I wasted way too much time in the early years going to theme parks, but you gotta do that when you have kids. Practically a law. It's really awesome when they get to the point where they appreciate going somewhere like The Keys, Sanibel or North Captiva and being almost off the grid for a week.

Anyway, that's it, just felt like saying it. If you are around me in real life I say this stuff all the time. If you reply, please don't get political.

Was enjoying the thread until about the middle of page 2, when the request in yout closing sentence went out the window

Reactions: NoleSince1961
Was enjoying the thread until about the middle of page 2, when the request in yout closing sentence went out the window
Maybe I'm missing something here. What part of the thread went political? Is bringing up another state political? If so the whole thread was political from the beginning.

There's a lot about the State that I love, though I don't have anything to compare it to because I've never lived anywhere else. The area of Central Florida in which I've lived my entire life is quite beautiful...lot of rolling hills, it doesn't look at all like most of FL. Unfortunately, the urban sprawl & overdevelopment is beginning to steamroll through the area, and our useless city & county governments are approving the next development fast as they can.

About a year ago, we bought a small piece of property on the Withlacoochee River; I have no plans to ever do anything with it other than use it to launch a kayak, which I do as often as possible. The stretch of river there is very lightly developed & a quite beautiful stretch of nature. There are small springs periodically along the river, but much of the water flow is drainoff from the Green Swamp. As such, the water level and the scenery constantly changes, depending on how much rainfall has taken place in the swamp. I'm not sure if it is prettier when the water is high or low. When high, the current can be pretty strong & the water level high enough that you can see over the top of the river bank...but since it's a "swamp river" the water is very murky when it's high. As it drops, the the water becomes pretty clear, and as you down the river you can admire the awesome root systems of the old cypress trees that line the river.

Agree but the population explosion in ALL of Florida means more housing is needed and inevitable. And the families who have owned that land for generations are selling off not just over in your area but all over NoFla.
Here in Jax the Davis family who started Winn Dixie and the Skinner family who had a huge dairy have sold off thousands of acres and enormous developments are being built. Jax is exploding in population and new homes are in high demand.
I like explosions.

Grew up in Florida and never considered leaving. In high school, I new my options were either FSU or UF, and I never considered anything else, and I doubt my parents would have paid for it. My dad went to the Ivy league and later in life told me that he told his friends that "He doesn't want to go to the Ivy Leaque because it's too far from the beach". That's probably true.

Tried to get a job in Denver after my degree, but the economy in the 80s was bad because Denver used to be concnetrated on energy. I wanted to ski.

Florida is great, but it is miserable in August and September. Now I try to escape to the mountains out west to enjoy the equivalent of the Florida winter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT