ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 1 Hyundai Tournament of Champions-Sign Up Thread

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • fowler-847-jamiesquire.jpg
    Rickie Fowler is playing in his second Hyundai Tournament of Champions. He finished T6 in 2013. (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
• FULL FIELD: Hyundai Tournament of Champions

• COURSE: Plantation Course at Kapalua, 7,452 yards, par 73. One of the first Bill Coore/Ben Crenshaw collaborations, the Plantation course opened in 1991 and offers some of the most breathtaking views of the entire season. With that beauty, though, comes an exposure to the elements that can flirt with the extreme, as shown during the wind-whipped 2013 edition that went to a Tuesday marathon finish. In most years the trade winds stay gentle enough for the winner to approach 20-under par over four days.

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

• CHARITY: More than $5.3 million has been raised to benefit Maui charities since the Tournament of Champions moved to Hawaii in 1999. This year’s event lists a half-dozen beneficiaries, including Hale Makua Health Service, Lahainaluna High School Foundation and the Maui Council of the Boy Scouts of America.

• FIELD WATCH: World No. 1 Jordan Spieth and fellow major winners Jason Day and Zach Johnson head a lineup of 32 tournament winners from the 2015 calendar year. … With Spieth and Day providing the TofC’s first 1-2 rankings punch since 2005, the field lists six entrants from among the top 10 – including Rickie Fowler, THE PLAYERS champion. … Current FedExCup leader Kevin Kisner and fellow fall winners Emiliano Grillo, Smylie Kaufman, Justin Thomas, Russell Knox and Peter Malnati head a group of 14 making debuts at Kapalua. … Another first-timer is Padraig Harrington, The Honda Classic winner who never made the trip while winning major titles in 2007 and ’08. … Davis Love III, winner of the Wyndham Championship at age 51, returns for the first time since 2009.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 261, Ernie Els (2003).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 62, K.J. Choi (3rd round, 2003), Graeme McDowell (4th round, 2011), Jason Day (4th round, 2015), Chris Kirk (4th round, 2015).

• LAST YEAR: Patrick Reed made up a four-shot deficit over the final four holes of regulation, claiming his fourth career victory when his playoff birdie dispatched the faltering Jimmy Walker. Reed sandwiched birdies around an 80-foot eagle during the final four holes of regulation, finding himself in an unexpected playoff when Walker bogeyed No. 14 and missed two birdie chances inside 10 feet down the stretch. The momentum carried into the playoff, as Walker’s chip missed the green and Reed wound up draining an 18-foot birdie. Reed joined some elite company as just the fifth player since 1990 to notch four wins by age 25, joining Rory McIlroy, Sergio Garcia, Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson. Spieth would join that group a few months later.

• STORYLINES: Spieth and Day, who swapped the No. 1 ranking in the fall, pick up their budding rivalry as the PGA TOUR’s 6 ½-week holiday break comes to an end. It marks Day’s first start since the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola, taking the rest of 2015 off to attend to the birth of his second child. Spieth made starts in China and Australia. … Seven entrants this week are under age 27 – Spieth (22), Thomas (22), Grillo (23), Kaufman (24), Reed (25), Danny Lee (25) and Brooks Koepka (25). … Reed seeks to become the TofC’s first back-to-back winner since Geoff Ogilvy in 2009-10. Four former Kapalua champs in all will tee it up, with Love seeking a second win 23 years after the first.

• SHORT CHIPS: After four years of a Friday start and Monday finish, the tournament reverts back to a standard Thursday-Sunday schedule in 2016. The previous four had been timed to end less than an hour before college football’s national-title game. … Bill Haas, who won the deciding Presidents Cup match in South Korea, is among 10 U.S. team members at Kapalua. Just two Internationals are in the field – Day and Lee. … In 17 years at Kapalua, the event has seen just a single hole-in-one. Lucas Glover aced the 203-yard eighth in 2006.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 6-10 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 3-7 p.m. (GC). Note: Some early coverage will move to NBC on Saturday or Sunday, pending its assignment of an NFL wild-card playoff game.

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, 5-10 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, 2-7 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

Week 1 is upon us, for anyone interested in playing who has not played previously rules are pretty straightforward
Each week you pick 4 players from that week's field. The 4 players receive their weekly FedEx points based on their finishing position. The person with the highest combined total from their four players picked is that weeks winner.
Example
player picks 4 golfers , 2 miss the cut , 2 finish 1st and 2nd that week, the weekly total would be 800
golfer 1-1st place finish 500 points
golfer 2-2nd place finish 300 points
golfer 3 -missed cut -zero points
golfer 4 -missed cut -zero points

This is a weekly contest up through The Tour Championship.
There are no entry fees or prizes ( other than bragging rights)
New or old players have until the Players Championship to sign up for this years contest

Back for more abuse in '16!

Day
Fowler
Z. Johnson
Spieth

I won this a few years ago and the haven't been back since. I'm ready to lace them up again.

Proving once again I'm some kind of masochist, here we go again:
Dustin Johnson
Zach Johnson
Patrick Reed
Jordan Spieth

Somebody hunt down 2952 so I can begin his annual thrashing.

Spieth, Reed, Dustin, McDowell

I remembered this time to get in on the first tourney unlike the last two years.

Jason Day
Dustin Johnson
Jordan Spieth
Bubba Watson

Reactions: DFSNOLE
P Reed
Z Johnson
D Johnson
C Kirk

Welcome back everyone good luck

I remembered this time to get in on the first tourney unlike the last two years.

I think I remembered to play of the first time in 2-3 years!

In advance, thanks to the Gents who will keep this thing putting along, especially, old friend NIA!

Alex Cejka (A Czech national, with a Czech name, playing under a German flag)
Patrick Reed (made picks before looking at the other picks and didn't think that Reed would be as popular as he is)
Jason Day
Dustin Johnson

Tough leaving Spieth, Zach and Bubba off of the list.

220px-Back_in_the_Saddlesingle.jpg

Should we alert Perkins?
No, but you should kick my butt for not picking him! Jason Day wtf was I thinking? But he is like Tiger here though, you HAVE to pick him because everyone else does...

First tournament of the year , starts like 2015 ended, with a dominate Spieth showing. Will be fun to see what this guy does this year with another year under his belt.

Our first winner of the year ( hopefully this will ease the pain from Saturday a little)

Bobcat
Hyundai%20TOC%20Winner_zpszsxza21r.png

will post new thread in a few minutes

Reactions: Bobcat07
Watching Spieth is, to me, like watching the early Tiger. You just KNOW he's going to make certain shots. Difference is, Spieth just oozes class for now.
Hopefully, all this success doesn't get to him--he could truly put professional golf on the map if he keeps it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT