PGSF FedEx Cup Week 13 The Houston Open

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • HenleyUpshot847.jpg

ROUND RECAPS
    Russell Henley caps off a spectacular round to win at Shell
Jordan Spieth, who turned a playoff loss in 2015 into a Masters crown, and World Golf Championships-Mexico Championship winner Phil Mickelson headline the final tuneup for the year’s first major, facing a Golf Club of Houston layout traditionally set up to approximate Augusta National.

Justin Rose, twice a Masters runner-up after playing Houston, also returns among 16 players coming to put finishing touches on their Augusta preparation. For the rest, a final Masters berth is available if the winner hasn’t already qualified.

[Check out the full field here]

FIELD NOTES: Rickie Fowler, Henrik Stenson and Matt Kuchar help give the lineup six of the top 20 players in the world rankings. … India’s Shubhankar Sharma, given a special Masters invite after holding the 54-hole lead at the Mexico Championship, also has chosen to do his prep work at GCH. … Two-time major winner Martin Kaymer tees it up on U.S. soil for just the third time since last year’s U.S. Open. … Ernie Els and Lee Westwood are set to tee it up in longshot hopes of extending lengthy Masters runs. Els has missed Augusta just once since 1994; Westwood has a run of 13 straight in jeopardy. … Steve Stricker, who recently notched his first win on the PGA TOUR champions circuit, returns to Houston after a year’s hiatus.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

STORYLINES: Mickelson, whose 4 ½-year winless drought came to an end in Mexico, will fine tune after his Friday departure from the World Golf Championships-Dell Technologies Match Play. He had four straight top-10 finishes before Austin. … Spieth also failed to make it out of group play in Austin, though he was 2-0 before falling to Ryder Cup partner Patrick Reed. The reigning Open Championship winner has yet to place higher than ninth this season. … The lineup features three players who reached the Round of 16 in Austin – Kuchar, Charles Howell III and Ian Poulter. … The last-gasp Masters berth has been in play in four of the past five editions, with Russell Henley last year joining Jim Herman (2016), Matt Jones (2014) and D.A. Points (2013). … For Westwood, Houston is the only non-major U.S. stop he’s played since 2015. … The Houston Open has gone to a playoff 23 times in 72 editions – almost one in three. Only the U.S. Open has seen more playoffs (33).

COURSE: Golf Club of Houston (Tournament), 7,441 yards, par 72. Widely praised for its ability to imitate Augusta National’s setup, the 2005 Rees Jones design returns for its 12th edition as the lead-in venue for the Masters. Carved from wooded countryside in Houston’s northeast suburbs, Jones and consultant David Toms took care to preserve the many natural lakes and wetlands throughout the property. For this event, though, club officials annually go the extra mile to deliver shaved banks, collection areas around the greens and a Stimpmeter reading of 13 or more.

72-HOLE RECORD: 266, Curtis Strange and Lee Trevino (1980 at Woodlands CC), Vijay Singh (2002 at TPC Woodlands). GCH record: 268, Phil Mickelson (2011), Russell Henley (2017).

18-HOLE RECORD: 62, Ron Streck (3rd round, 1981 at Woodlands CC), Fred Funk (3rd round, 1992 at TPC Woodlands). GCH record: 63, Johnson Wagner (1st round, 2008), Adam Scott (1st round, 2008), Jimmy Walker (1st round, 2011), Phil Mickelson (3rd round, 2011), Scott Piercy (1st round, 2015), Sung Kang (2nd round, 2017).

LAST YEAR: Henley used 10 birdies to overcome a four-shot deficit on the final day, booking the final Masters reservation with a three-stroke triumph. The Georgia native caught 54-hole leader Sung Kang with five birdies in his first eight holes, slipped a bit with a double bogey at No. 9, then took control with three straight birdies midway through the back nine. A pitch to 3 feet at the par-5 13th moved Henley in front for good, while Kang missed a 15-footer. Henley followed with a 35-foot birdie at No. 14 and completed the run by getting up-and-down for birdie at the par-5 15th. A bogey at No. 18 kept Henley from breaking Phil Mickelson’s tournament record at GCH.

HOW TO FOLLOW

TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 4-7 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 2-3 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (NBC).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. (featured groups), 4-7 p.m. (featured holes).

RADIO: Thursday-Friday, 1-7 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

Congratulations to last weeks winner @cmanole

@NoleLizards maintains his overall lead after the Match play
Leader%20thru%20Dell%2018_zpsj7h8t8mq.png

Good luck to everyone this week

Reactions: cmanole
As always, NiA, thanks for all the work you put into this thing.

Fowler
Mickelson
Rose
Spieth

Reactions: NoleinATL
The All-Knowing, All-Omniscient Ouija Board has chastised me severely about not picking up on the Wednesday start, and then my disastrous picks on my own. It now knows I need it more than it needs me...for now. So, I'm playing it cool this week and giving that damn thing its head.

Rickie Fowler
Charles Howell III
Hunter Mahan
Phil Mickelson

Supposed to rain heavily tonight, but looks like the system will be out of here by 6 AM tomorrow morning. Forecast looks good for the weekend, so hopefully no delays and WD's for the golfers headed to Augusta next week.

I will be out on the grounds on Friday and Saturday. Going to be upper 70's and clear, so perfect weather for those days. I'll say hello to Phil for you @NoleinATL!

Reactions: NoleinATL
Supposed to rain heavily tonight, but looks like the system will be out of here by 6 AM tomorrow morning. Forecast looks good for the weekend, so hopefully no delays and WD's for the golfers headed to Augusta next week.

I will be out on the grounds on Friday and Saturday. Going to be upper 70's and clear, so perfect weather for those days. I'll say hello to Phil for you @NoleinATL!
Looking at the current radar, the forecast was correct. Hopefully, they can get the course dried up by the first tee time.

Not surprising. They got about 5 inches of rain overnight up there. There is flooding up in Humble apparently as well. Too soon after Hurricane Harvey.

Reactions: DFSNOLE

Enjoy! Nice field there for you plenty of fun golfers to follow.

Reactions: Bobcat07
Great day out at the course today. It's amazing how good it still looked even after Hurricane Harvey dropped close to 50 inches of rain on it 7 months ago. Caught the end of Phil's round and alternated following the Jordan Spieth and Rickie Fowler groups this afternoon.

Mickelson_zpsd1imidw1.jpg

Spieth_zpsscbwmusf.jpg

Great day out at the course today. It's amazing how good it still looked even after Hurricane Harvey dropped close to 50 inches of rain on it 7 months ago. Caught the end of Phil's round and alternated following the Jordan Spieth and Rickie Fowler groups this afternoon.

Mickelson_zpsd1imidw1.jpg

Spieth_zpsscbwmusf.jpg
Stop harassing Rickie to where he collapses at the end of his round! ;)

Rose with a 7 on the 11th. My picks just can't avoid the big number this weekend.

Rickie is really on fire today. He is fortunate to have that DB and triple bogey just now to offset those 5 birdies on his card today. :(:(:(:(

Reactions: NoleLizards
Gene Wojciechowski had a Tiger is feeling better story this am, but the star of this story was the live look in at Augusta National. The course looks outstanding, so excited for Thursday

Would we expect anything from Augusta? It always is in perfect shape. The members demand that.

You can always count on Rickie to go the wrong way late in a round.

I recently saw Rickie and Jack Nicklaus on a show on Golf Channel. The moderator dude asked Rickie how he prepared for majors. He said something like “I don’t change anything....Business as usual.” The same question then shifted to Nicklaus. Jack said your PREPARATION for a major must be very different. He was very polite in basically saying “that’s why you’ve never won one, Rickie,” but he has way too much class to get near those words. But to anyone watching, you had to be saying to yourself “which one of these guys has more insight on this topic?”

Reactions: DFSNOLE
of course not, just enjoyed seeing a live look at the course

April has my two favorite annual non football game sporting events: The Masters and the NFL Draft. Can't wait till Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT