PGSF FedEx Cup Week 37 The Tour Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
    • firstlook-847-mikeehrmann.jpg

INSIDE THE PGA TOUR
      2018 TOUR Championship preview
    FedExCup points leader Bryson DeChambeau headlines the 30-man field that will determine the season champion, as the FedExCup Playoffs once again wrap at Atlanta’s historic East Lake Golf Club.

Justin Rose, Tony Finau, Dustin Johnson and defending champion Justin Thomas round out the five players who can lay claim to the $10 million end-of-season bonus simply by winning the TOUR Championship. For everyone else, a little – or a lot – of assistance is required.

FIELD NOTES
    Tiger Woods returns to postseason finale for the first time since 2013, when Henrik Stenson’s victory at East Lake allowed him to leapfrog Woods to the top of the standings. Woods will begin this week at No. 20. … Phil Mickelson is set for his 20th TOUR Championship start, extending his own record. He’ll also become the first man to reach 45 FedExCup Playoffs starts. … Jordan Spieth wound up 31st in FedExCup points, one below the cutoff. … Aaron Wise, winner of the AT&T Byron Nelson in May, is the only rookie to reach the final playoff stop this season.

FEDEXCUP
    Winner receives 2,000 points.

STORYLINES
    DeChambeau, who won both THE NORTHERN TRUST and Dell Technologies Championship to start the Playoffs, seeks to become the first since Woods in 2009 to win from the No. 1 seed entering East Lake. If not, he’ll join McIlroy (2012) and Jason Day (2015) to win two of the first three Playoffs events but not the big prize. … The annual East Lake points reset gives everyone a mathematical shot at taking the crown. For No. 30 Patton Kizzire to win, though, DeChambeau would have to place in the bottom two at East Lake. … No. 5 Thomas, No. 9 Billy Horschel and No. 17 McIlroy have a chance to join Woods as the only two-time winner of the FedExCup crown. … Woods also can become the FedExCup’s first three-time winner, though he’ll need a win at East Lake, DeChambeau to finish no better than a share of 15th and other help. … BMW Championship winner Keegan Bradley stands No. 6, joining McIlroy (2016) as the only men to win one of the first three Playoffs stops but still needing help at East Lake to win the overall title.

COURSE
    East Lake Golf Club, 7,385 yards, par 70. A Tom Bendelow design when it opened in 1908 as the Atlanta Athletic Club’s original home, the course got an overhaul just five years later by Donald Ross. It’s best known as the place where Bobby Jones learned the game, shooting 80 by age 11 and later stamping his name in history by completing the 1930 Grand Slam. East Lake welcomed the 1950 U.S. Women’s Amateur and 1963 Ryder Cup before a decaying neighborhood sent members moving to the northern suburbs. The AAC itself followed in 1967, leaving East Lake in the hands of 25 members opposed to the move. The club managed to hold on for a quarter-century before a 1993 project was launched to restore the club as a tribute to Jones. The TOUR Championship came to East Lake for the first time in 1998, becoming the annual host in 2004.

For those visiting the Atlanta area, must-play courses include Bear’s Best Atlanta (Suwanee, Ga.), the Fazio Course at Barnsley Resort (Adairsville, Ga.) and Heritage Golf Links (Tucker, Ga.). Explore your options at TeeOff.com.

72-HOLE RECORD
    257, Tiger Woods (2007).

18-HOLE RECORD
    60, Zach Johnson (3rd round, 2007).

LAST YEAR
    The TOUR Championship saw just its third split ceremony of the FedExCup era, with Thomas taking the $10 million season prize despite rookie Xander Schauffele winning the tournament. Thomas finished second on the leaderboard, carding birdies on two of his final three holes to finish off a 4-under 66. But that left him one stroke behind Schauffele, whose 68 was good enough to become the first rookie to win the season finale. It was his second win of the season, joining his win at the Military Tribute at The Greenbrier triumph in June. Thomas’ runner-up placement made him an easy winner of the points race, finishing 660 points ahead of No. 2 Jordan Spieth. East Lake’s closing ceremony had not crowned two winners since 2009, when Mickelson captured the tournament but Woods walked away with top FedExCup spoils.

HOW TO FOLLOW
    TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 1-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, 12:30-2:30 p.m. (GC), 2:30-6:30 p.m. (NBC). Sunday, noon-1:30 p.m. (GC), 1:30-6 p.m. (NBC).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. (featured groups), 1-6 p.m. (featured holes). Saturday, 11:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. (featured holes). Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-6 p.m. (featured holes).

RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-6 p.m.; Saturday, 1-6:30 p.m.; Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

6 comments

The Regular season is done and congratulations again to this years winner
2018 Regular Season Champ @NoleLizards

As per the rules of the fedex cup, our points reset prior to The Tour Championship

Point%20Reset%2018_zps8eloccek.png

Good Luck to everyone Next week

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleLizards
Mr. Commissioner. May I request that you post the rollover picks for those who don't make theirs next week? Thank you and thank you for running this again this year. I know what goes into it and I appreciate the time you spend.

Mr. Commissioner. May I request that you post the rollover picks for those who don't make theirs next week? Thank you and thank you for running this again this year. I know what goes into it and I appreciate the time you spend.

These are everyone's picks that would be played if someone did not make a pick for the Tour Championship

This what you wanted @DFSNOLE ?

Picks%201_zpsgvsbjgdq.png

Picks%202_zpsy1skmufw.png

Picks%203_zpsayctp04g.png

Picks%204_zpsvx22phkl.png

Everyone is welcome, I enjoy the competition and the golf conversation so do not mind doing it at all, but do appreciate the thank yous.

@seminoleed , I am going to pass on the All-Omniscient, All-Knowing Ouija board, that board seems crazy

And yes, ATL thanks again for doing a great job this season! Your efforts are much appreciated and I thoroughly enjoy following along all season. Chuck would be proud that his baby is still going strong.

Seems like an improvement and will keep things interesting. Judging by the comments, people don't seem to be fan of these changes. Sounds about right, because generally whatever I like most people seem to dislike. For one, I like Johnny Miller's commentary and most of Twitter seems to hate him.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Yes NIA, great job. Enjoyed it...

Ricky
Reed
Bubber
Schaffele

Seems like an improvement and will keep things interesting. Judging by the comments, people don't seem to be fan of these changes. Sounds about right, because generally whatever I like most people seem to dislike. For one, I like Johnny Miller's commentary and most of Twitter seems to hate him.

Not esp a fan of Miller. He obviously knows golf. Just something about how he delivers his commentary. I am interested to see who replaces him. I just think it was time for a change.

I swear everytime I go back and forth on two picks I always pick the wrong player. Dang it Bryson

Read an article about how Woodland plays these types of courses really well and should have a good week. But whenever I pick him he plays like garbage so I went with the safer pick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT