ADVERTISEMENT

Piggy's Tallahassee

Who remembers Fat Man's in Tallahassee back in the 1970s? It was on Apalachee Parkway just east of Capital Circle. We used to go there every Wednesday night for AYCE chicken.

If we are romancing about old BBQ, I always liked Tiny's on PCola, but I think it shut down for tax reasons.

I actually liked Mickey Andrews a fair bit. The weird thing was the hatred I remember some Noles fans had for it "because Mickey should focus on our poor defense" as if he was back there cooking.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
There was a place down west Pensacola a while ago past TCC campus on the left. That place used to have the best bbq in Tallahassee.
Tiny's - he closed it when his wife was battling cancer before she died and he himself passed away earlier this year. Last place around here with a real cinder block bbq pit (maybe Goodman's in Perry has the same?).

I actually liked Mickey Andrews a fair bit. The weird thing was the hatred I remember some Noles fans had for it "because Mickey should focus on our poor defense" as if he was back there cooking.

I remember hearing that too, no wonder we couldn't cover a Tight End, Mickey was too busy mixing up sauces

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Tiny's - he closed it when his wife was battling cancer before she died and he himself passed away earlier this year. Last place around here with a real cinder block bbq pit (maybe Goodman's in Perry has the same?).

Man, I loved Tiny's. Golden Q is still the best BBQ sandwich I've ever had.

Is Goodman's still closed for "renovations"?

I believe so. Unfortunately it looks like it's maybe going to only stay open for catering and events not a daily restaurant. Which of course I hate, it was my favorite BBQ place in all of North Florida with no close #2. I guess I'll now say Ken's the Fat Boys ripoff/clone in Lake City and Live Oak that's actually better than Fat Boys ever was. And I saw the Fat Boys in Crystal River shut down as well which sucks as I'd go there for nostalgia reasons about twice a year.

Agree with Tribe that Mission is best in town right now.

Speaking of Mission, I stopped by for lunch and the current seasonal dish is a smoked ribeye steak with some horsey sauce...and it was amazingly good! Very flavourful rub and smoke and the steak itself was cooked to a perfect mid-rare. Better than any steak I've had in a Tally restaurant even Teds and Shula's. And only $10.99! I highly suggest you try it before it goes away like the Ricky Bobby Shake and Bake Chicken (which was almost equally great).

Is The Red Shed on the east side of town any good? I've heard people rave but haven't had a chance to stop yet.

I've heard mixed reviews but I want to try it, it's only a couple miles from my house but I've never been. Hope that changes soon.

Was planning to take my son for the back to school festival they had last weekend but I thought it was on Sunday and it was Saturday...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Tried 4 rivers Tuesday the brisket of course.. don't bother meh.

4 Rivers is always all over the map. Sometimes I go and think their brisket is as good as the best in Texas, other times I go and it's Sonny level dry but even worse because its thick cut. The only consistency is that their sauces suck and so does their tri-tip.

Reactions: PC Load Letter
Speaking of Mission, I stopped by for lunch and the current seasonal dish is a smoked ribeye steak with some horsey sauce...and it was amazingly good! Very flavourful rub and smoke and the steak itself was cooked to a perfect mid-rare. Better than any steak I've had in a Tally restaurant even Teds and Shula's. And only $10.99! I highly suggest you try it before it goes away like the Ricky Bobby Shake and Bake Chicken (which was almost equally great).
Did they do a reverse sear on the ribeye? I've been doing that on my smoker with whole NY Strip roast when we have a group over. It's usually something most haven't tried and it's always a hit.

Did they do a reverse sear on the ribeye? I've been doing that on my smoker with whole NY Strip roast when we have a group over. It's usually something most haven't tried and it's always a hit.

I didn't see them do it, but based on the look and flavor (it was very intensely smoky) I believe so.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Who remembers Fat Man's in Tallahassee back in the 1970s? It was on Apalachee Parkway just east of Capital Circle. We used to go there every Wednesday night for AYCE chicken.
I remember that place. Football players went there on the AYCE nights and the manager finally started serving them semi-raw chicken to get them to leave. My late husband was one of them!

Reactions: Seminolejon78
What is this "reverse sear?"

(is dfs on the board still? )

This came up in another BBQ thread a while back and I mentioned Willie Jewells. I’ve tried once and it was catered. Curious some opinions, it’s up on Thomasville/Kerry Forest. I thought it was decent.

http://williejewells.com/

This came up in another BBQ thread a while back and I mentioned Willie Jewells. I’ve tried once and it was catered. Curious some opinions, it’s up on Thomasville/Kerry Forest. I thought it was decent.

Interesting reading the history of this company. I used to work for Joe Adeeb and began learning the process with Harvey Green and worked with Reggie for several years too. I do remember Joe as being very good at the sales pitch.

Reactions: noleone99
Interesting reading the history of this company. I used to work for Joe Adeeb and began learning the process with Harvey Green and worked with Reggie for several years too. I do remember Joe as being very good at the sales pitch.
The Adeebs are a Jax family with FSU ties, and they have an interest in some of the Bono's BBQ restaurants
here as well as the Beach Diners. Barry and his wife Patty are both class of '71-

The Adeebs are a Jax family with FSU ties, and they have an interest in some of the Bono's BBQ restaurants
here as well as the Beach Diners. Barry and his wife Patty are both class of '71-
I go to the beaches diner in mandarin pretty often.

Reactions: goldmom

I have never been there and I live a couple miles away. It has always seemed almost fake given the location in the little strip mall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT