ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Best of the Crappy chain restaurants

Originally posted by Bav803:
I don't think Bennigans ever completely went away. I remember being shocked a few years ago when there was one in DFW.

I voted for Chili's. I worked at various Chili's in various roles for 6 years, and they kept getting more and more fresh. The burgers used to be frozen, and then went to hand packed. The ranch is made on site. The Country Fried Steak is fried to order, and there are multiple fresh guacamole options.

The stories I heard from people at Olive Garden were much worse.
The franchisor of Bennigans had a liquidating bankruptcy about 7 years ago, but some franchises stayed open.

Chili's was founded by several Bennigan execs who left the company to compete.

Originally posted by Fijimn:
It's too bad that you guys don't have the Pappas restaurants over there. Of course, they are a little higher level than the Chili's over the world, but if you are on the road, you know you will get a good meal.

Lately, I have been going to Longhorn because they have a diet menu which is pretty good.
I would kill for a Pappasitos here. I think the closest one (and the only one outside the state of Texas) is in the ATL area. Abuelo's has started popping up here in Florida and my wife, having grown up in west Texas, is all about stopping at the one in Orlando the next time we go.

They have Longhorn in Houston? Wow. I wonder how they compete with TX Land and Cattle and Saltgrass because Longhorn is nowhere near as good as either.

Originally posted by Lemon Thrower:
Originally posted by Bav803:
I don't think Bennigans ever completely went away. I remember being shocked a few years ago when there was one in DFW.

I voted for Chili's. I worked at various Chili's in various roles for 6 years, and they kept getting more and more fresh. The burgers used to be frozen, and then went to hand packed. The ranch is made on site. The Country Fried Steak is fried to order, and there are multiple fresh guacamole options.

The stories I heard from people at Olive Garden were much worse.
The franchisor of Bennigans had a liquidating bankruptcy about 7 years ago, but some franchises stayed open.

Chili's was founded by several Bennigan execs who left the company to compete.
That was Norman Brinker, the founder of Steak and Ale. I used to fly him around back in '83 after he took over and saved Chili's.

Originally posted by TexSkills:
Originally posted by DanC78:

Originally posted by Lemon Thrower:
Chuy's and Taco Cabana.

Zoie's kitchen and Panera are good also.

Taco Cabana is a joke, good call.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
I love Taco Cabana. In JAX, they just opened a test store that is a different version of a regular Taco C called Cabana Grill. Not many fast food Mexican joints are serving Barbacoa tacos in house-made tortillas.

Of the choices listed, I say Chilis. Their burgers have always been awesome and they are very consistent.

Really...I always felt completely ripped off every time I went there. Some of my friends swore by them though.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Out of the choices that were given the correct answer would be Bennigans because of one of the top 3 sandwiches of all time.... The Monte Cristo.

Originally posted by SeaPA:

Btw, Bennigans was one of the options in the poll, with a comment of "do they still exist." The entire chain was shut down a few years ago, but I read recently that a former corporate officer has purchased the rights to the company (name, trademarks, etc) and plans to reopen the chain on a much smaller scale. I think what I read indicated that he's starting out with just a handful of stores, iirc all in Florida.
There are at least two Bennigans in Houston, TX.

It's too bad that you guys don't have the Pappas restaurants over there. Of course, they are a little higher level than the Chili's over the world, but if you are on the road, you know you will get a good meal.

Lately, I have been going to Longhorn because they have a diet menu which is pretty good.
I would kill for a Pappasitos here. I think the closest one (and the only one outside the state of Texas) is in the ATL area. Abuelo's has started popping up here in Florida and my wife, having grown up in west Texas, is all about stopping at the one in Orlando the next time we go.

They have Longhorn in Houston? Wow. I wonder how they compete with TX Land and Cattle and Saltgrass because Longhorn is nowhere near as good as either.
I know they have a Pappadueax in Arizona because it is my Mom's favorite place to go. Yeah, in my suburb town we have a Saltgrass, Longhorn and Texas Roadhouse within a 1 mile radius. I do like the Saltgrass. But since the beginning of the year I have been trying to eat healthy while on the road, so that's why I've been hitting the Longhorn. Outback has a similar option with their sirloin. Sadly, the last three times I have been in NOLA I ate at the salad bar at the Whole Foods in Metairie....sigh, getting old sucks

I would have always said Chili's, but the last couple times I've gone I've been unimpressed. We don't eat at these type of places, so it's probably been two years since I've been to Chili's (don't see myself going back), six years since I've been to Ruby Tuesday, 15 years since I've eaten at an Appleby's (drank a couple times), and 20+ years since I've been to TGIF. The last time I went was a bad experience for each of them.

Red Lobster is one I've been to probably the most, a few times over the last 10 years because my in-laws like it. It wasn't always horrible in my memory, but the last time I went, it was probably the worst meal I've ever been served.

If I had to pick a place like that to go to, I'd probably go Mexican, like Frontera or On The Border.

We have a Benningan's franchise here in Clarksburg, Maryland. Nothing special.

Originally posted by TorreyOaks:
Out of the choices that were given the correct answer would be Bennigans because of one of the top 3 sandwiches of all time.... The Monte Cristo.
Bennigan's used to have a cheese burger that had a fried wheel of cheese

they are not the only place that has that sandwich. its basically a croque-monsierre, which is a french snack. The Mill in Tally used to make them.

Bennigan's used to have a cheese burger that had a fried wheel of cheese
never saw that, but they had a great desert called Death by Chocolate.

I know they have a Pappadueax in Arizona because it is my Mom's favorite place to go. Yeah, in my suburb town we have a Saltgrass, Longhorn and Texas Roadhouse within a 1 mile radius. I do like the Saltgrass. But since the beginning of the year I have been trying to eat healthy while on the road, so that's why I've been hitting the Longhorn. Outback has a similar option with their sirloin. Sadly, the last three times I have been in NOLA I ate at the salad bar at the Whole Foods in Metairie....sigh, getting old sucks
Wish we had them here too. Used to like to go to Arlington just to eat at Pappadeaux

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT