ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Best of the Crappy chain restaurants

LesClaypool

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 12, 2004
Tallahassee
Sometimes you're forced to eat at one, for whatever reason. Which one is the best of the worst?

I'm at the ATL airport, sitting in the E Concourse TGIF's. That's what's prompted the question.

I don't care how you rank them, but imo Applebee's has to be last.

You need to check out sweet Georgia's juke Joint. It's D Or E I think.

I'd say Chili...at least their stuff normally has some spicy southwest kick to it....and honestly the Old Timer with Cheese is pretty good

I chose Chili's over Ruby Tuesdays because it's cheaper and I once saw a flock of fruit flies in the Ruby Tuesday salad bar. Told the server about the bugs and she said, "oh, the fruit flies?"

I would vote chilis last,, because the lace is named chilis and their chili is so bad that, for awhile, they had completely removed it from their menu.

Originally posted by Bartdog:

I chose Chili's over Ruby Tuesdays because it's cheaper and I once saw a flock of fruit flies in the Ruby Tuesday salad bar. Told the server about the bugs and she said, "oh, the fruit flies?"
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by SeaPA:
I would vote chilis last,, because the lace is named chilis and their chili is so bad that, for awhile, they had completely removed it from their menu.
They have the best chili of any chain restaurant. Hot and no beans.

I voted Chili's as they have revamped their menu and gotten rid of non "Chili's" type food like pizza.

Chillies is the best the crap! We will hit up Red Lobster once every year or two when really bored and desperate for sneaking different. Their hand breaded shrimp and biscuits are actually pretty good....crazy over priced, but good.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by ncnole1975:
I would say PF Chang's is the best of crap chain food
Maybe so.... but I'm still pissed it took the place of Chili's in the Atlanta airport.

Chili's is a much better layover hangout imo.

Originally posted by wdnole:

Originally posted by ncnole1975:
I would say PF Chang's is the best of crap chain food
Maybe so.... but I'm still pissed it took the place of Chili's in the Atlanta airport.

Chili's is a much better layover hangout imo.
Wow, Ive eaten at PF Changs 3 times and do not like it. I can go in any Chinese restaurant in a shopping plaza and get better food. I keep trying it thinking something will change. I love our TGI Fridays here, great happy hour and 1/2 price apps. They have good burgers, not a fan of their entrees. I only go in these type places to drink some beers and get some food, take alcohol/happy hour out of the equation and I would never go in.

Red Lobster would probably be my pick of the "crappy chains". They at least have a couple of items I actually like (Walts Shrimp, cheddar bay biscuits, shrimp scampi, decent snow crab legs, etc...).

Originally posted by FSUTribe76:
Red Lobster would probably be my pick of the "crappy chains". They at least have a couple of items I actually like (Walts Shrimp, cheddar bay biscuits, shrimp scampi, decent snow crab legs, etc...).
Actually, they have some pretty legit appetizers and pastas as well. The lobster pizza and artichoke lobster dip to be specific.

I think they get a bad wrap because it's seafood. Typically you want a local place with a fresh local catch of the day when eating seafood. You're never going to get that at RL. Like you said, stick with shrimp, crab, and lobster and it's okay.

The RL in Tallahassee stayed busy as hell on the weekends...hour wait at least during peak. Always blew me away seeing that. The RL in Panama City was a full of snow birds or empty when I was younger. I never understood how they were in even in business. Then again, I didn't realize how lucky I was to live in an area with so many seafood options back then.

Originally posted by FreeFlyNole:
Arent all those just about exactly the same?

My vote goes to Bonefish.

I don't think of Bonefish as crappy at all. That place is awesome for a chain. Their Sea Bass is slammin!

Chili's... RT would have been the one, but they overhauled their menu a few years back, and completely ruined anything that was even decent. And the last time I had their salad bar, it wasn't as good as it used to be either.

Chili's actually has a pretty decent country fried steak dinner.

PF Changs doesn't go with the rest of them, and since they're basically the same, I love me some Pei Wei, just ate there Saturday.

My wife and kids lover Applebees. The wife gets one of the salads and the kids get French Onion Soup. They typically go for lunch on days when the kids don't have school or during the summer so I don't go with them. The few times I have been I've had a burger and it's always been good. Dont' understand all the fuss...

Originally posted by cmanole:
My wife and kids lover Applebees. The wife gets one of the salads and the kids get French Onion Soup. They typically go for lunch on days when the kids don't have school or during the summer so I don't go with them. The few times I have been I've had a burger and it's always been good. Dont' understand all the fuss...

It's a crappy food chain for dinner, high class fancy place for a lunch.

Big difference :)

A good manager and staff would easily make their chain better than the others on the list. You do not have to look far to find any of those chains with poor service and food prep.

This post was edited on 3/2 8:17 AM by SoddyNole

Originally posted by DanC78:
Originally posted by cmanole:

It's a crappy food chain for dinner, high class fancy place for a lunch.

Big difference :)
True enough but all of the hate is coming from the same Cretins that love the McRib.
happy.r191677.gif

I used to like Chili's burgers, although lately the quality has gone down a bit. Agree that it's a good airport layover meal.

I've been disappointed in Bonefish the last two times I've been, in different locations. Aside from the bang bang shrimp which I generally split, I've not had really good luck with my entrée.

I've had gift cards to several chain places, and I still have good luck at Carabba's for a quick dinner. I also have never had a bad meal at Stonewood Grill.

Originally posted by DanC78:

Originally posted by Lemon Thrower:
Chuy's and Taco Cabana.

Zoie's kitchen and Panera are good also.

Taco Cabana is a joke, good call.

I love Taco Cabana. In JAX, they just opened a test store that is a different version of a regular Taco C called Cabana Grill. Not many fast food Mexican joints are serving Barbacoa tacos in house-made tortillas.

Of the choices listed, I say Chilis. Their burgers have always been awesome and they are very consistent.

There are two places that I will not give my money to, and they are Applebee's and the 99!

I am big on customer service, and will generally give a place a 2nd chance, everyone has an off day, but both places have given me bad experiences, twice each.

The 99 involved rude waitresses, one time I had silverware with water streaks all over them and I asked for clean silverware and the waitress acted as if I had stabbed her with the dirty fork and the 2nd time the waitress was pissy for some reason and slammed the drinks on the table where one soda fizzed up and leaked all over, she then acted pretty rudely and never apologized. Sorry, I am through with you.

My mother came up from Florida last year and took a bunch of us out to eat, her treat, and everyone wanted to go there, I went, but had water as I will not give them business again.

I've been to Applebee's twice and they are 0 for 2 in getting my order correct, the 2nd time everyone else was finished with their meal when my corrected meal came back.

I actually didn't mind Red Lobster, but it closed 6 months after they opened because of lack of business as we can go down the street and pay just a little more for fresh seafood instead of the frozen stuff that they serve.

Denny's might be at the top of my list for crappy chain restaurants, but again, there is only 1 within 25 miles of us because people can go to a diner and pay the same or less for a meal that is better.

Btw, Bennigans was one of the options in the poll, with a comment of "do they still exist." The entire chain was shut down a few years ago, but I read recently that a former corporate officer has purchased the rights to the company (name, trademarks, etc) and plans to reopen the chain on a much smaller scale. I think what I read indicated that he's starting out with just a handful of stores, iirc all in Florida.

Originally posted by FreeFlyNole:
Arent all those just about exactly the same?

My vote goes to Bonefish.
That was my point - that they're all the same...thus which of those is the most marginally best?

It's too bad that you guys don't have the Pappas restaurants over there. Of course, they are a little higher level than the Chili's over the world, but if you are on the road, you know you will get a good meal.

Lately, I have been going to Longhorn because they have a diet menu which is pretty good.

I don't think Bennigans ever completely went away. I remember being shocked a few years ago when there was one in DFW.

I voted for Chili's. I worked at various Chili's in various roles for 6 years, and they kept getting more and more fresh. The burgers used to be frozen, and then went to hand packed. The ranch is made on site. The Country Fried Steak is fried to order, and there are multiple fresh guacamole options.

The stories I heard from people at Olive Garden were much worse.

Originally posted by SoddyNole:
A good manager and staff would easily make their chain better than the others on the list. You do not have to look far to find any of those chains with poor service and food prep.

This post was edited on 3/2 8:17 AM by SoddyNole
Having worked in restaurants, I can tell you that no one in the restaurant is more important to the quality of your meal than the line cook who prepares it. A good dish can be made great, or oh so wrong, and an average dish can be made a little better, or a lot worse. Nothing can fix a crappy dish (like a bad piece of sirloin).

Originally posted by SeaPA:

Btw, Bennigans was one of the options in the poll, with a comment of "do they still exist." The entire chain was shut down a few years ago, but I read recently that a former corporate officer has purchased the rights to the company (name, trademarks, etc) and plans to reopen the chain on a much smaller scale. I think what I read indicated that he's starting out with just a handful of stores, iirc all in Florida.
heh, I remember having to scrape up enough money to go to Bennegans. It was "nice" restaurant to me. I didn't like it when the closed down and I also missed Daryl's. That place could be fun.

Talking about service, the Applebees in town center in Jax has extremely attentive servers. It's at an almost-creepy level. They're trying really hard, I'll give them that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT