ADVERTISEMENT

Press conference updates from Norvell, coordinators (w/ video)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017

Norvell is here.
Says he was pleased with finishing effort, but "came out and started the game probably as bad as we could have." Really struggled to get off the field on third downs. "Offensively, for a variety of different reasons, we were not able to convert." Laments the continued struggle of third downs and fourth downs. "Tried to look for sparks."
Defensively in the second half, "they played lights out. Wasn't some magic scheme adjustment that we had. ... Guys did a much better job in communication. ... Did a great job of stopping the run and containing the passing game."

The talk to the team yesterday, "everybody is disappointed. It hurts and it's painful to sit there and be where we are right now. ... We see the film, see the results of our actions ... things that need to be fixed and can be fixed. ... You're down 31-7 and guys just continue to believe, continue to fight. ... That's what we've got to be able to continue to do throughout this process."

On negative plays on offense: "There were a few poor decisions on things we did, and it's all positions. ... Reads, progressions, decisions that we make, those are all things that go into sustain a rythem. ... Errors in judgement on trying to do too much."

"It's not just one position."

Says being second and long really hurts the offense, "we're not far enough along as an offense to overcome those things." ..."They were simple mistakes that showed up."

On fourth down decisions: "Our lack of production on 4th down is definitely something I look at and evaluate. ... There have been some calls I felt really good about. ... At the end of the day, we've got to go out there and trust the preparation. ... When you're 1 of 9 on fourth downs, we've got to be right." ... We're always going to be aggressive.

Says he was happy with third and short production. But that he could perhaps use other types of "resources" when it comes to being productive on the offense. This was in response to a question about mobile quarterbacks.

Says the defense has been playing hard all season. "We've had coaches we've played that have echoed that same sentiment. ... We've just got to be more consistent in that. ... But there's no question we played at a high level in the second half."

On Corbin: "Jashuan has done a great job. Had some wonderful runs in the game this last week. He's just continuining to show up. I think we've got a really good backfield. ... We had them on the same field at times some. ... The consistency to be able to sustain drives. ... Good to see D.J. Williams get out there and have some tough, productive runs."

On Keyshawn punt returns: "We had him up and they end up kicking a 50-yard punt. ... He let the ball bounce. ... That was a big play in field position.... We do not say the 10-yard line. The last few years we've backed it up from that. But we do have a stop point."

Was asked about Maurice Smith, Lovett and Toafili: Was very vague, says those guys are pushing to get back. Commended Robert Scott for going out there. Said Smith is getting closer. "We'll see how this week progresses."

Says they are what they've earned. They are what the record says they are. But in three of the games they were right there at the end.

"These guys believe. ... mistakes that have been made in certain situations, they're not hard to spot."

"It's not hard to find a negative thought about this program from the outside, and sometimes from the inside. ... when the core of who you are is about the right things.

That one was hard to sum up.
You're going to have to watch it. But Norvell got very emotional/animated when asked what he's telling recruits after the 0-4 start. You need to watch it.

Now Kenny Dillingham is up.

On the slow starts: "It's been something different (every game).

"It's never been a problem in the last nine years in starting fast. ... We've got to do a better job."

There was a drive where we had a 12-play, 54-yard drive. ... We go all the way down the field and then we MA. On a play we've run the same time seven times. And it's second and 14.

Says he has to do a better of putting Milton in a good spot. Giving him confidence, making him comfortable. So anytime he struggles, that's a reflection on him.

Says they've struggled playing with tempo this year. That's when a lot of their negatives happen, because someone misses a signal or mis-IDs something. "He feels very, very comfortable going fast."

Says football comes down to 1 on 1. And they made a play at the end, and Parchment didn't.

Can't believe how many yards the offense is putting up without putting up points. "The math doesn't add up" when you look at some of the numbers.

Says Corbin has been "unbelievable. ... Jashaun has consistently made his one guy miss and that's what's led to those explosive plays."

"There's no secret button you press to all the sudden start fast. ... From that type of stuff, it's about the work ... I hate losing. I've never lost. Really in my life. I've never been a part of it. .... We've got to put it all together. We've got to have one game where we don't have penalties, don't turn the ball over and don't have negatives .... that's the challenge. From a scheme standpoint, we're always going to adapt."

"The guys are the guys and I'm blessed to be able to be here to coach these guys. .... We still lose, it's unacceptable, but there's no quit. I don't know when it's going to click ... but we are getting better."

"When it clicks, it's going to click. It's not going to be a flash in the pan .. that's what we're struggling with right now is how to win. .... We've got to learn how to win."

Says Syracuse is all about creating havoc defensively. Will have zero coverage in the back end just to get pressure on the QB.

That's a wrap on Dillingham.

Adam Fuller is up next.

Says it was a horrible first half, and the difference between the two halves was third down.

"Guys press. Guys press when you're winning games, guys press when you're losing games. ... Third down, we're playing man coverage, bracket coverage, zone coverage. We're blitzing, we're rushing three, we're doing whatever we can ...."

Says the 31 points was unacceptable, but they did a better job in the second half.

"Sick of learning lessons through failure, we need to start winning."

"We got a bunch of stops on third down in the second half. Does that build momentum? It needs to."

Says they've given up some deep passes on one on ones this year, and when they hit a deep ball right away, there comes some pressing.

Says he wants that to be solved in practice. "We are playing a good amount of people in the secondary, that's not something I always want to do."

Says he thinks Omarion Cooper is going to give them some depth this year. Says that's "Life as a corner" giving up that touchdown pass when he got in there. Says Cooper and Farmer earned the right to go in the game, because they think they can help them win.

On defending the run: "Per play, what's it look like? What's the average? What's it look like per play? ... Things are getting compressed .... and then we're playing with really good effort and chasing things down. ... we're tackling better ... all of those things are contributing to it. ... I'm proud of the way we're building walls and compressing space this year."

That's a wrap on Fuller.

John Papuchis is up next.

Says they wanted Helton to start at 44 yards back from the line of scrimmage on punts. But they moved him up as the game wore on and the ball landed over his head. Flipped field position.

Says he liked the decision by Helton to catch the ball at the 6. That's what they teach him, because they don't want to have the ball downed at the 1. Which punters are really good at these days.

Says he's been pleased with the coverage units for the most part, but the return units have failed to make a real impact. Says they're close, but close doesn't cut it.

Says he's pleased with the development of Fuller and McClendon. "I think each week they've gotten a little better." ... (McClendon) "works really, really hard in practice, and it's translating. ... There is a correlation between what you put in day to day and the product you see on the field."

Says Keir Thomas played his best game of the season. Had three hurries in the game.
"He did a great job of feeling the screen, I think it's killing him that he didn't finish the play. I know it's something that he's beating himself up on. ... It's a reaction play from a defensive lineman ... i have total faith and confidence in everything he's doing."

Says he likes how the defensive line group responds to adversity. They don't get down. They keep fighting. "A lot of that is the maturity they have as a group."

That's a wrap on Papuchis. That's a wrap for today.

Peace and love.
Go hug someone!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's up, folks?
We'll be meeting with Mike Norvell and his coordinators here in a few minutes.
So hang tight! We'll keep you updated on everything that's said. Whether it's interesting or not!
Supposed to start at 11:30 a.m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rjstf and Garofalo5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.