ADVERTISEMENT

PUI: my kid's ACT score

Nice! After a score like that you can afford to give her a few days off.
:D;)

But seriously, that is really impressive, especially first time out and in 10th grade.
Congratulations!

Reactions: NDallasRuss
That's awesome!! We are in the holding pattern for another 6 weeks waiting to hear from FSU and 2 others (UF and Maryland) for acceptance. This is worse than the test scores IMHO.

Is it wrong for a little piece of me to hope she only gets in to FSU? :(
Waiting on scores to be released is the worst! I can't imagine waiting for college admission decisions! Hopefully you get good news soon!

Waiting on scores to be released is the worst! I can't imagine waiting for college admission decisions! Hopefully you get good news soon!

At most schools with a 32 she will get an acceptance letter very quickly. Where is she looking to possibly go?

At most schools with a 32 she will get an acceptance letter very quickly. Where is she looking to possibly go?
Oh man, so far her top schools are Yale and Stanford. Her score puts her in the middle 50th percentile for Stanford admissions, but not for Yale. I keeping bringing up UVA because it's a really good school, and it's in-state, so it's cheaper.

She currently wants to be a neurosurgeon. She likes the idea of going to Johns Hopkins for medical school.

I'm trying to not look too far into the future and just make sure she gets through 10th grace first, but all these dates and deadlines starting coming up on us pretty quickly!

Reactions: SoddyNole
Nice! You said she was getting letters after her psat, remind me what she got on that. Boy just took it.
I believe her 9th grade psat was 1210. The scale is different though - the high score on that psat is 1440. The psat they take their junior year for national merit scholarships goes up to 1520. Not sure why they need to have different scoring scales.

Reactions: BelemNole
Oh man, so far her top schools are Yale and Stanford. Her score puts her in the middle 50th percentile for Stanford admissions, but not for Yale. I keeping bringing up UVA because it's a really good school, and it's in-state, so it's cheaper.

She currently wants to be a neurosurgeon. She likes the idea of going to Johns Hopkins for medical school.

I'm trying to not look too far into the future and just make sure she gets through 10th grace first, but all these dates and deadlines starting coming up on us pretty quickly!
Tell her to go to William and Mary.

Congrats. That’s very impressive. Is she going to take the SAT as well? Probably won’t need to.

FSU: Good enough for Myron Rolle, good enough for your kid.

Mr Rolle attended the Florida State University College of Medicine. He studied at Oxford University for the 2009–10 academic year to earn an M.Sc. in medical anthropology and is a neurosurgery resident at Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital.

4hzU.gif

Mr Rolle attended the Florida State University College of Medicine. He studied at Oxford University for the 2009–10 academic year to earn an M.Sc. in medical anthropology and is a neurosurgery resident at Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital.

4hzU.gif
I agree - it's what you do during undergrad as much as where you went. Still, I'm here to support her dreams, so if she wants to aim for the top, i'll do whatever I can to help her.

Really? You seem like such a softie. What happens behind closed doors stays behind closed doors, I guess.
Ha! I'm kidding. It's been a long time (well, about 15 years, I guess) since I was able to really enjoy being reckless and irresponsible. I'm hopeful that once she's done with college I can get back to "sticking it to the Man". No, nowadays her biggest adversity is terrible puns and having to put up with me using current teen slang to get under her skin.

Ha! I'm kidding. It's been a long time (well, about 15 years, I guess) since I was able to really enjoy being reckless and irresponsible. I'm hopeful that once she's done with college I can get back to "sticking it to the Man". No, nowadays her biggest adversity is terrible puns and having to put up with me using current teen slang to get under her skin.
Of course. I harass and rankle our two (28 and 25) nonstop. Between, of course, trying to help them figure out how to pull off the paths in life that are their current choices/desires.
I can’t help but believe that my parents were more laizzez-faire, that they felt like being hands off was the better method...meh. It worked.
There are many ways to cook brisket, skin a cat, get there, achieve goals, and be happy. Kudos to Russ for being involved, as so many are absent in the life/development of their kids.
Oh yeah. Get her to send payments to the Locker Room retirement fund after she hits it big.

Ouch! Congratulations on her success.

Yeah if med school is the goal, doing undergrad cheaper is the way to go. Plus neurosurgeons are in residency and school until like 40. The lady that did my dads two back surgeries was a neurosurgeon. She had just gotten out of residency and she was pretty old to be just getting her first real paycheck. Granted I am sure that "real" check is $500K+ so it was worth the wait!

I agree - it's what you do during undergrad as much as where you went. Still, I'm here to support her dreams, so if she wants to aim for the top, i'll do whatever I can to help her.

tenor.gif

Send her to trade school to develop a useful skill and avoid crippling debt.
437c0140f09365513de13a6171aa12e2.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Imtotallynottribe

Just about every top school has ways to help you pay for tuition. Getting in is really the hardest part. Schools like Yale and Stanford are competing to get the best of the best. If she is one of them, they'll figure out a way to pay for whatever you can't afford.

One thing I would tell her (and remind her dad) is that under no circumstances with the economic situation we are facing should a college student take on crippling debt. While having Yale, Stanford and Harvard on the resume is nice...what really opens up the options is having a big fat zero in the debt column as it lets you choose entry level jobs and areas of the country you might otherwise be forced to avoid to pay off that giant debt.

At a 32, that places her just outside the top 25% at William and Mary and UVA as they both have a 33 at the 25th mark, but what that would mean is that she likely would be on scholarship there if the grades match up to the ACT score. I would absolutely tell her to get a degree from a Public Ivy (Michigan, UVA, William and Mary, UCLA, Cal-Berkeley) etc with zero or far less debt than to rack it up at Stanford or Yale. And she doesn’t have to go to a giant state factory like Michigan or one of the Cals, UVA and William and Mary are both sized the same as the “true” Ivies so you get a “real college” feel and small personalized classes.

PS Having said that, there’s nothing wrong with putting in a ton of applications and seeing if a real ivy or colleges on par like Duke, Emory, Rice, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Johns Hopkins, USC, Notre Dame, George Washington etc... will pony up the $$$$$. You never know, when I was looking into law schools Penn and Cornell both opened up their $$$$ vaults to me, I ended up at Bill & Mary to stupidly follow a college girlfriend. The end result was fine as I love Bill and Mary and have nothing but praise for it BUT...if not for the ex-gf I would have likely ended up at USC, Penn or Cornell instead.

One thing I would tell her (and remind her dad) is that under no circumstances with the economic situation we are facing should a college student take on crippling debt. While having Yale, Stanford and Harvard on the resume is nice...what really opens up the options is having a big fat zero in the debt column as it lets you choose entry level jobs and areas of the country you might otherwise be forced to avoid to pay off that giant debt.

At a 32, that places her just outside the top 25% at William and Mary and UVA as they both have a 33 at the 25th mark, but what that would mean is that she likely would be on scholarship there if the grades match up to the ACT score. I would absolutely tell her to get a degree from a Public Ivy (Michigan, UVA, William and Mary, UCLA, Cal-Berkeley) etc with zero or far less debt than to rack it up at Stanford or Yale. And she doesn’t have to go to a giant state factory like Michigan or one of the Cals, UVA and William and Mary are both sized the same as the “true” Ivies so you get a “real college” feel and small personalized classes.

PS Having said that, there’s nothing wrong with putting in a ton of applications and seeing if a real ivy or colleges on par like Duke, Emory, Rice, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Johns Hopkins, USC, Notre Dame, George Washington etc... will pony up the $$$$$. You never know, when I was looking into law schools Penn and Cornell both opened up their $$$$ vaults to me, I ended up at Bill & Mary to stupidly follow a college girlfriend. The end result was fine as I love Bill and Mary and have nothing but praise for it BUT...if not for the ex-gf I would have likely ended up at USC, Penn or Cornell instead.
Hummm...I dont see UF listed as a public Ivy school:Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy

This is certainly valuable advice, and something we'll be keeping in mind. So far she's seemed to understand the value of having your school paid for, even if it's not your #1 choice, vs having to pay off a ton of loans. She's got a cousin who went to a smaller school on a lacrosse scholarship and was still able to go to Georgetown medical school, so I think she sees that there's more than one path.

Yeah if med school is the goal, doing undergrad cheaper is the way to go. Plus neurosurgeons are in residency and school until like 40. The lady that did my dads two back surgeries was a neurosurgeon. She had just gotten out of residency and she was pretty old to be just getting her first real paycheck. Granted I am sure that "real" check is $500K+ so it was worth the wait!
Not long ago she learned how long it would take. You're right - I think we figured she'd be 35 when she gets through with residency. Residents still get paid though, like$50-60k/yr. Not a lot comparatively, but enough to not be homeless.

What extra curricular activities is she into? There are lots of scholarship and grants available for extras.

Also, I read somewhere that Rice will waive tuition for students that meet a certain academic standard (no clue what that would be).

What extra curricular activities is she into? There are lots of scholarship and grants available for extras.

Also, I read somewhere that Rice will waive tuition for students that meet a certain academic standard (no clue what that would be).
Not a ton yet. She's doing Model UN and apparently doing well at it. She's in the Latin Club. She's learning Muay Thai and guitar. Volunteering is scattered - she can't do what she wants - volunteer at the hospital - until she's 16yo, so next year.

16 to volunteer? This kid is finishing Harvard at 16. You daughter is falling behind.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/16-old-kansas-student-track-192917712.html
Man, more power to him, but I really don't want that to be her. We've resisted starting any college classes. She's already about the youngest in her class. I don't want her to feel any more awkward by being another year or two ahead in college. As it is she won't turn 21 until after she's started her 4th year of undergrad. She doesn't need to be rushed and put in a spot where she's out of place.

Reactions: 62Nole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT