ADVERTISEMENT

Sara Blakely - FSU Alum

12Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2013
Any word if she will be contributing to the FSU Capital Campaign? I know her company hires plenty of FSU female graduates but it would be awesome for the entire student body to have her apart of FSU in some way. She could really help young students and she could relate since she was in their position at one time.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If I had a $1 for every time a thread like this came up asking her for money, I could pay the fund myself.

^ Absolutely. I hope we didn't go into initial talks asking for a donation for the IPF or sports related. Then again it wouldn't surprise me. Push for academics and if she happens to be a sports fan and wants give back to that side then great. How billionaire alums do we have?

Originally posted by 12Nole:
How billionaire alums do we have?
Not sure but Todd Combs could be getting there, and he's only 44.

Lmao if she wants to donate something she will and if she doesn't then she doesn't. I hate beggars .

IMHO, FSU should start a program devoted to women entrepreneurs and name it after her whether she gives or not.

Her name alone is worth a TON to FSU and a great role model for women.

FSU shouldn't wait for her to decide to give before it honors her......honor her now. It can only lead to better things in the future.

I would say something similar about McCombs. FSU needs to start honoring these folks who made it big in private industry.

Originally posted by Sawyer55:

IMHO, FSU should start a program devoted to women entrepreneurs and name it after her whether she gives or not.
Fundraising aside, this is absolutely a slam dunk of an idea.

Originally posted by NOLEpalm_Radio:

Thanks.

FSU has MULTIPLE Entrepreneur programs it has started up just in the last 10 years....funding never an issue. Dr. Barron was HUGE on pushing entrepreneur programs.

I have to wonder, how how this hasn't been done?

Hell, FSU should pushing something re: investing type program and name it after McCombs. Piggy back off the Buffet name, show students a role model, improve the relationship with future billionaire.

There are 3-4 other type ideas like this (with other successful alumni) FSU could push. FSU really doesn't know how to push these types of relationships......it is stuck in the FLorida 1950s where you just ask the state for pennies and name everything after politicians. Doesn't get you very far. It is about private enterprise (and the state has been no friend to FSU anyways....screwed FSU every step of the way).

Instead of just posting these ideas on Warchant I hope you are sending them to the people who may actually be able to use them such as the alumni assoc and FSU foundation.

The university is actively pursuing relationships with her to try to get her to be a contributor. To date she has not been a significant supporter and will likely never be a contributor to athletics.

FSU shouldn't wait for her to decide to give before it honors her......honor her now. It can only lead to better things in the future.

I would say something similar about McCombs. FSU needs to start honoring these folks who made it big in private industry.
This is probably a good idea.

^ I prefer to call it fundraising not begging. Different strategy between the two. I can see where someone can easily confuse the two.

^ I prefer to call it fundraising not begging. Different strategy between the two. I can see where someone can easily confuse the two.
Call it begging; fund raising; sales; or anything you want, but it needs to be done.

Tell them to start by honoring her success on their own dime first. Create an ally.

I can guarantee she views FSU's role in her success as minimal to none-existent. Give a little first, and you might get a little. Very rarely in my life have I gotten anywhere asking someone what they can do for me before I show them what I can do for them.

Originally posted by llnole:
Instead of just posting these ideas on Warchant I hope you are sending them to the people who may actually be able to use them such as the alumni assoc and FSU foundation. 

Feel free to pass them on, fsu is set on comfortable mode

I have reason to believe that the FSU Foundation (academic) botched their chance with her by never reaching out until she was famous. It would probably been more effective to start by going though the Tri-Delts since that is where are friends are. FSU has another billionaire who has given plenty to the COB and to athletics, but his first relationship all along has been through his fraternity.

^ Absolutely. I hope we didn't go into initial talks asking for a donation for the IPF or sports related. Then again it wouldn't surprise me. Push for academics and if she happens to be a sports fan and wants give back to that side then great. How billionaire alums do we have?
Unfortunately we did, but I understand that has been rectified.

She is all about female empowerment and entrepreneurship doubt she ever gives a dime to FSU athletics she supports women causes worldwide.

Originally posted by jhtally04:

She is all about female empowerment and entrepreneurship doubt she ever gives a dime to FSU athletics she supports women causes worldwide.  

Which is why you start a women's program that reflects her interest

sdumper hit the nail, I would bet that most of the people who post on here, about how so and so should give big bucks to FSU, don't really give much themselves. It really isn't our business what they do....I leave that up to the Boosters to try to convince those people.

Sara loves FSU. She doesn't give a rats a*s about football. We were neighbors for almost 10 years here in Atlanta.

Originally posted by jhtally04:

She is all about female empowerment and entrepreneurship doubt she ever gives a dime to FSU athletics she supports women causes worldwide. Â

Which is why you start a women's program that reflects her interest

FSU already has a few one of which is in the Business School. Blakely joined the Giving Pledge in 2013 which is a group of billionaires founded by Buffet and Gates who pledge to give away half their earnings I'm sure FSU has reached out she gives a ton of money to groups in Africa and abroad.

Originally posted by donsue:
sdumper hit the nail, I would bet that most of the people who post on here, about how so and so should give big bucks to FSU, don't really give much themselves. It really isn't our business what they do....I leave that up to the Boosters to try to convince those people.
Well that is who would be asking her and others to give( FSU boosters).

Thanks.

FSU has MULTIPLE Entrepreneur programs it has started up just in the last 10 years....funding never an issue. Dr. Barron was HUGE on pushing entrepreneur programs.

I have to wonder, how how this hasn't been done?

Hell, FSU should pushing something re: investing type program and name it after McCombs. Piggy back off the Buffet name, show students a role model, improve the relationship with future billionaire.

There are 3-4 other type ideas like this (with other successful alumni) FSU could push. FSU really doesn't know how to push these types of relationships......it is stuck in the FLorida 1950s where you just ask the state for pennies and name everything after politicians. Doesn't get you very far. It is about private enterprise (and the state has been no friend to FSU anyways....screwed FSU every step of the way).
FSU has been doing this for several years. It is the work of the Foundation.

People don't hear about it because they are not involved with the Foundation. Much of this was started under Barron, and there are some very good people involved, and their work has been successful.

Also, some that are aware do not speak about it on the boards anymore as it is not football nor athletics involved, and many think that because someone is an alumnus/ae, they should give money to FSU football.

That's right NoleDaddy, it would be the Boosters. Let's let that play out between her and them and not have people coming on here every month or so and call her out.

Originally posted by SeminoleRay:

I have reason to believe that the FSU Foundation (academic) botched their chance with her by never reaching out until she was famous. It would probably been more effective to start by going though the Tri-Delts since that is where are friends are. FSU has another billionaire who has given plenty to the COB and to athletics, but his first relationship all along has been through his fraternity.
I doubt that. They reached out to me when I was working an entry level engineering job. I'm sure they reached out to her as well.

Originally posted by Nole Daddy:
Boosters is/was not the way to go with Ms. Blakely.

Originally posted by bcherod:

Boosters is/was not the way to go with Ms. Blakely.
I should have been more clear. She would be approached about giving towards academics. We all know she is not going to donate for athletics which is completely fine. It would be on the academic side. Another thing is that these types of large gifts usually are many years in the making, and it should not surprise anyone that she has not given yet. Just because she has not given yet does not mean she will not down the road.

Agreed. Great idea.

I'm picturing it now, Jam got a hold of Sara's number and called but no answer. He leaves her a voicemail saying how we have these new clubs seats that are going to be awesome...gives her the entire pitch over a voicemail but ends it with you're going to have to call me back for the pricing and hang ups. She seems like a real Warchanter (attractive, FSU alum, busy-successful life, and super wealthy like the rest of us) so she's probably pissed off that she got the time share sales pitch and can't just get the price for a couple club seats. Now she won't return any calls from FSU.

Originally posted by Timnole:
The university is actively pursuing relationships with her to try to get her to be a contributor. To date she has not been a significant supporter and will likely never be a contributor to athletics.
If we were in the SEC should would have given nearly 25-50 million towards athletics. It's very #GOACC of her to not give a dime to athletics.

FSU has an entrepreneurship program named after Jim Moran, the guy who gave them the money.

Call it begging; fund raising; sales; or anything you want, but it needs to be done.
If it's good enough for Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Penn, Brown, Duke, and on and on, it's good enough for FSU.

If she needs motivation, I would put the screws to her sorority.
This post was edited on 2/20 4:14 PM by RTM58

Any word if she will be contributing to the FSU Capital Campaign? I know her company hires plenty of FSU female graduates but it would be awesome for the entire student body to have her apart of FSU in some way. She could really help young students and she could relate since she was in their position at one time.
does she discriminate against male graduates?

If she wants to give, she will give. No reason to hound someone just because they've been successful and happen to have attended FSU.

Originally posted by RTM58:

If it's good enough for Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Penn, Brown, Duke, and on and on, it's good enough for FSU.

If she needs motivation, I would put the screws to her sorority.
This post was edited on 2/20 4:14 PM by RTM58

I want to be first in line as volunteer to screw her sorority.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT