ADVERTISEMENT

Scotch Drinkers...

LesClaypool

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 12, 2004
Tallahassee
I'm a total newbie, but a burgeoning fan nonetheless.

So far I've tried:

Glenlivet 12 (I don't care for it at all)
Suntory Toki (I like it, but don't love it)
Macallan 12 (I absolutely love it)
Oban 14 (I didn't like it much)
Glenlivet 16 Nadurra (I loved it - just had one pour of it at Bern's the other night, but loved it.)

What is there in the $40-$50 range that's remotely as good as the Macallan 12, b/c that stuff is phenomenal, but at $75 (at ABC Liquors in Tallahassee) is a bit steep for an everyday drinking Scotch.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
For everyday, Glenfiddich is pretty good. I also like Aberlour, though it's probably slightly more than you want to spend for an every day scotch. Believe it or not, if you have a Costco nearby, their Kirkland brand is very good. One of their two suppliers is Macallan. Don't know if this bottle is by them but it's still very good ... 20 y/o too.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Balvenie is a decent daily. I think it's around that range. I haven't looked at the price in years.

So far I've tried:

Glenlivet 16 Nadurra (I loved it - just had one pour of it at Bern's the other night, but loved it.)

What is there in the $40-$50 range that's remotely as good as the Macallan 12, b/c that stuff is phenomenal, but at $75 (at ABC Liquors in Tallahassee) is a bit steep for an everyday drinking Scotch.
Good call on the Macallan, buy yourself a bottle of 18 for Christmas and enjoy it on cold, dreary nights by the fire.

I saw Macallan 12 at Costco in JAX. They had it for 50 bucks a bottle but this was a few months ago. Check the Tally Costco if you have a membership. I've always been partial to Balvenie, most varieties.
This. It is always around $50. If you like a smokey flavor, try Johnny Walker Double Black.
Don't buy Macallan 18 for Christmas, will ruin the 12 for you. Get a taste fo the stuff before you go off and buy that or Johny Blue.

Scotch, single malt or otherwise, is too variable and complicated for anyone to advise you on what you'll like. I prefer Glenlivet over Macallan, but you take an opposite view.

As for everyday, I think Dewar's 15 is really good and is less than $40 for 750ml.

Go to a tasting room and try a lot of brands and ages...it's part of the fun.

What's a good bar for scotch in Tally?

By good I mean great selection, cheap, and not pretentious.

(Other than crapplebees of course)

What's a good bar for scotch in Tally?

By good I mean great selection, cheap, and not pretentious.

(Other than crapplebees of course)

My house.

Other than that...I honestly can’t think of any that has a really great selection. Market Square Liquor Lounge probably has the biggest selection followed by maybe Warhorse Whiskey Bar. But I wouldn’t say either is really great when it comes to Scotch.

So far I've tried:

Famous Grouse is the best selling Scotch brand in actual Scotland so that’s probably a good place to start from. I went to the Glenturret distillery which is one of the single malts that go into the Famous Grouse (Glenturret by itself it’s very floral and mellow, not typical of what one thinks of as Scotch). I like it but for blended Scotches I prefer Johnnie Walker Green (the only Johnnie that does NOT have grain alcohol in it even the far more expensive Blue does, Green is a mix of four single malts one from each of the major regions of Scotch production) and Monkey Shoulder (a mix of three Speyside single malts, so balanced but characteristic of that region). So while I have other Scotches, the Johnnie Green and Monkey Shoulder are my go to for a dram.

In single malts, I usually don’t go for “balanced” whiskies but usually prefer those that have something that stands out. For example the already mentioned Glenturret for its mellow, floral flavor, but I also go for flavor bombs like the Ardberg An Oa which is very smooth and silky but will kick you in the rump with its smokiness/peatiness and Talisker Storm which is also quite smokey but also has very strong peppery/rye bite to it. The last two are perfect for for cocktails where you want to add smoke and/or pepperiness.

Finally, I’m a big fan of the Japanese “Scotches”. Specifically Suntory Hibiki and Suntory Toki. Both are very mellow, well balanced Scotches with only hints of smoke. So great for sipping on the rocks without killing your palate like the aforementioned flavor bombs.

Reactions: LesClaypool
I'm a bourbon drinker who would like to expand his tastes. So...
1. How much different is Scotch to bourbon?
2. Knowing that I drink primarily bourbons and ryes, which would be the first Scotch I should try? I'm not going to "learn to like it" because I'm too old and already like what I drink.

Reactions: noleone99
2. Knowing that I drink primarily bourbons and ryes, which would be the first Scotch I should try? I'm not going to "learn to like it" because I'm too old and already like what I drink.

They are very different. I generally prefer a Blanton's over any scotch. I've only tried 20 or so scotches, so I'm no expert.

I only had scotch once in college, and it was nasty. It may be because it was purchased at ABC for less than $10 for a liter.

Reactions: SoddyNole

These are the best whiskey bloggers imo.

They actually Rec Monkey Shoulder as the first Scotch you should go with because it’s a middle of the road blend that’s very smooth and relatively cheap. They’ve got some other recs on there as well.

And Scotch is usually very different than Bourbon. Something like Glenturret and Glenfiddich are going to be closer to bourbon because they are low on smoke and tend to be sweeter and more floral, but they’re not that similar. Most bourbons are heavy on corn which gives sweetness and are usually done in freshly charred brand new barrels which still have a lot of vanillins to dissolve into alcohol, meanwhile almost all Scotches reuse old barrels (frequently from bourbon, sherry, Brandy or wine producers) so that they aren’t getting nearly as much vanillins nor get the neutralisation of other flavours from the char/charcoal (with the small caveat of new smaller producers in Scotland, Wales and England are starting to make Scotches more similar to Bourbons as they’re “friendlier” for nubes and casuals).

Reactions: DFSNOLE
My dad loves pretty much everything from Compass Box. Their story is pretty cool, and the blends are interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewhi...ner-scotch-people-think-dont-like-scotch/amp/

That article also recs Monkey Shoulder as a beginner's scotch, plus adds in Dalwhinnie which is one I temporarily forgot about but agree is a good beginners scotch. As a matter of fact I did three scotch "classes" two in Tally and one in Scotland and the one in Scotland and one of the two in Tally started with Dalwhinnie as the very first Scotch to taste as it's very light and mellow for a Scotch. Then you ramp it up until you end with Flavor bombs that destroy your palate like anything from Ardberg, Laphroag or Caol Ila.

I prefer Scotch from the Highlands as they don't use peat in their process (I just don't care for the peaty smoke flavor)

balvenie-14-year-caribbean-cask-single-malt-scotc.jpg
We toured The Balvenie distillery and this would be one of my favorites...finished in a Rum Cask.
d121.png
Toured this distillery as well...also a favorite.
Desktop_Original.png
Reasonably priced one.

Last time I drank more than 1 scotch was in Chicago at a scotch bar, where the bartender served us increasingly peaty scotches, from a basic scotch all the way up to where the last one tasted like I chewed up a cigar ashtray. I swear I got up the next morning to take a leak, burped and smoke came out.

So for purely educational purposes, I poured a Glenmorangie 10 Year and a Suntory Toki for side by side comparisons. The Glenmorangie was noticeably sweeter and had a distinctive citrus note to both my wife and me, but the Toki had a deeper depth of flavor including a light smoke that lingers far longer on the palate. Both my wife and I preferred the Toki but I could easily see a Bourbon drinker preferring the Glenmorangie.

High West Campfire is a very smokey blend of bourbon and scotch. Although pricey, about $70 for a fifth, it is very interesting and I like it a lot.

My brother likes most anything from High West. But they also give him stuff for some of his photo shoots that he does.

I did a whiskey tasting thing in ALT years ago. They had JW red, green, black, gold, blue. THey'd talk about each, the flavor notes and then we'd try a sip. I was shocked that I could actually taste the difference in them all. I also discovered that I think they all tasted equally crappy just in a different way. I want to try and like other stuff, but don't care for any of the whisky, scotch, bourbons etc.

In my opinion Speyside scotch is where it’s at. For that price range I’d go with a Glenlivet 15. However, the best bang for your buck is Monkey Shoulder, it’s a nice speyside blend for like $30 and is incredible scotch.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
For further educational study, I poured a Glenlivet Founders Reserve (which despite the gaudy name I believe is the lowest in its line) and a Suntory Hibiki.

The Glenlivet has no noticeable smoke and has a lot of fruit flavors especially apple and pear with a strong almost overriding menthol backnote. The Hibiki is pleasantly smoky without being overpowering and a strong undertone of dates, brown sugar and butter.

Again I really preferred the Japanese “Scotch”, but this time my wife disagreed and really liked the light and fruity Glenlivet.

Canadian Mist scotch goes great with Sprite.

Sincerely,
Gators fans

It seems every time I go to the store there is always someone picking up a 1.75 of Segram's 7. One of these days I'm going to buy a small bottle and try it out, that is if they sell it in small bottles.

It seems every time I go to the store there is always someone picking up a 1.75 of Segram's 7. One of these days I'm going to buy a small bottle and try it out, that is if they sell it in small bottles.
It's just another one of those whiskeys for people who really don't like whiskey. Like most Canadian blends, it is smooth to the point that it is bland.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT