ADVERTISEMENT

So I am going to Cuba in December....

From my understanding and experience, Americans can visit Cuba but are still restricted by the Cuban government in the scope of their visit. I.E., Americans can visit but have to still be part of an educational trip, history trip, visiting local schools and families in their scope of visit.

Basically, it has to be restricted to what the Americans state they are there to do. No lounging on the beach only. As far as I know, that hasn't changed. Am I wrong?

The cruise lines somehow bypass this by making the people take "educational" excursions. I can't just get off the boat and explore. We have to be in a group with a guide approved by the cruise line and the government.

The cruise lines somehow bypass this by making the people take "educational" excursions. I can't just get off the boat and explore. We have to be in a group with a guide approved by the cruise line and the government.

Becca. You will have a great time, especially with having deep family ties to the island.

I spent 8 days in Cuba last November, traveling with a "group" tour of 4. Our tour guide was a Cuban Exile and now an American citizen, that is sanctioned to organize these tours.

Cuba's social and political history are fascinating to me primarily because of my fathers post WWII excursions there. According to his stories, its not quite as much fun now. Overall, I enjoyed my experience (I like 3rd World countries) but the influence of communist government is so very evident and does sober your perception.

Through Airbnb, we stayed in government approved private homes. We were questioned daily about our previous and planned activities. Adhering to your educational itinerary is a good idea.

On the positive side, the elderly Cuban people still have a deep appreciation for its democratic past, the food was remarkably good and Cuba's geography is what Floridians could only have dreamed of existing 100 miles north.

Enjoy...

Went to Cuba thanksgiving 2016, we were there when Fidel died.

Awesome trip. Very interesting for a history and culture nerd to see.

Visiting Havana and Trinidad (a city on the southern coast).

Highly recommend visiting.

Wife and I visited with our kids - 7 and 6 at the time - about a year ago. I would recommend flying in and staying at Airbnb's or hotels. We were able to see and experience much more than the folks that stayed on board the cruise ships.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
So I got word from the cruise line that they have scrapped Santiago from the itinerary due to structural issues with the dock. They are re-routing us to Havana for an overnight stay (a day and a half).

I am sad and disappointed by this because the only reason we booked this cruise was to see where my late grandmother came from in Santiago. I personally could not care less about visiting Havana but I guess we will make do. Some other cruises going to Santiago got rerouted to Key West. I would have been so pissed if they made us go to to Key West in lieu of Santiago (so I guess it could be worse). In all honesty the only reason I was going on this cruise and visiting Cuba was because it was taking us to Santiago.

My mom was so looking forward to going to Santiago and see where her mother came from. We did our research, found the address to her house, the location of the family burial plot in the cemetery where my great grandfather and great uncles were buried and the where she went to school. We even had plans to visit with some extended family still living there. My mom was very close to just backing out but she knew we spent a pretty penny for this trip and we paid for her ticket, also she will be able to spend time with her daughters and granddaughters over the holiday.

Its too late to cancel and we'd only be getting 50% back and it would be credit for another cruise. They wont give you cash back if you cancel.

Now that Santiago is not on the list I feel like its just another cruise. I'm not excited to visit Havana. I actually feel kinda guilty for even going to Havana (or visiting Cuba in general) as I have no familial ties to that city and since my family came from the island I feel like I am offending them in a way. I'm sorry if I am coming off as whiny and snooty but this trip to Santiago meant a lot to the multiple generations (3) of Peña/Hernandez ladies who wanted to see where it all began - where my grandmother was born and raised. We were honoring my grandmother's dying wish for us to see Santiago since she couldn't go back to see it for herself.

I feel like the cruise line shouldn't have even promoted a trip to Santiago until they knew the town could handle the influx of cruise ships and all was OK with the structure of the pier.

My mom has a cousin who lives in Havana and my sister's father in law has a sister there too so she will be able to meet her two grand nieces so all is not lost - but its not going to be the same.

Sad to hear that Becca, I could tell you were really looking forward to the trip.

So I got word from the cruise line that they have scrapped Santiago from the itinerary due to structural issues with the dock. They are re-routing us to Havana for an overnight stay (a day and a half).

I am sad and disappointed by this because the only reason we booked this cruise was to see where my late grandmother came from in Santiago. I personally could care less about visiting Havana but I guess we will make do. Some other cruises going to Santiago got rerouted to Key West. I would have been so pissed if they made us go to to Key West in lieu of Santiago (so I guess it could be worse). In all honesty the only reason I was going on this cruise and visiting Cuba was because it was taking us to Santiago.

My mom was so looking forward to going to Santiago and see where her mother came from. We did our research, found the address to her house, the location of the family burial plot in the cemetery where my great grandfather and great uncles were buried and the where she went to school. We even had plans to visit with some extended family still living there. My mom was very close to just backing out but she knew we spent a pretty penny for this trip and we paid for her ticket, also she will be able to spend time with her daughters and granddaughters over the holiday.

Its too late to cancel and we'd only be getting 50% back and it would be credit for another cruise. They wont give you cash back if you cancel.

Now that Santiago is not on the list I feel like its just another cruise. I'm not excited to visit Havana. I actually feel kinda guilty for even going to Havana (or visiting Cuba in general) as I have no familial ties to that city and since my family came from the island I feel like I am offending them in a way. I'm sorry if I am coming off as whiny and snooty but this trip to Santiago meant a lot to the multiple generations (3) of Peña/Hernandez ladies who wanted to see where it all began - where my grandmother was born and raised. We were honoring my grandmother's dying wish for us to see Santiago since she couldn't go back to see it for herself.

I feel like the cruise line shouldn't have even promoted a trip to Santiago until they knew the town could handle the influx of cruise ships and all was OK with the structure of the pier.

My mom has a cousin who lives in Havana and my sister's father in law has a sister there too so she will be able to meet her two grand nieces so all is not lost - but its not going to be the same.
Not the same but perhaps see if your Santiago fam can visit Havana while you’re there. I’d imagine there are flights (it’s an 11+ hr drive).

Havana is a really interesting city. Happy to send some tips

Not the same but perhaps see if your Santiago fam can visit Havana while you’re there. I’d imagine there are flights (it’s an 11+ hr drive).

Havana is a really interesting city. Happy to send some tips

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but any unscheduled visits by Americans especially Cuban descent Americans is a good way to get thrown in a third world jail for 17 seasons.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.miam...rld/world/americas/cuba/article180637481.html

While I’m looking forward to visiting Cuba myself in the near future, I wouldn’t start gallivanting around. It’s a good way to look like a spy, and they don’t really care about the truth.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but any unscheduled visits by Americans especially Cuban descent Americans is a good way to get thrown in a third world jail for 17 seasons.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.miam...rld/world/americas/cuba/article180637481.html

While I’m looking forward to visiting Cuba myself in the near future, I wouldn’t start gallivanting around. It’s a good way to look like a spy, and they don’t really care about the truth.
Perhaps that's true but I have at least a couple dozen friends, and myself, who've gone over the last few years with zero.zero issues. There are tons of Americans, Canadians, and Europeans wandering around and an infrastructure of casas to stay in. Assuming you're not up to anything openly subversive or obnoxious, I generally wouldn't worry too much. Even in off the beaten path towns we found random Americans, including like half of the entering class of Univ of Chicago Booth MBA candidates.

@BeccaNole72 I just looked up flights to Santiago on Cubana, if you've got 36 hours in Havana you could hightail it from the port to the airport and fly to Santiago (about $330 r/t) but only one flight a day so your arrival and departure times would really have to line up.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
That’s a bummer. I did not realize how big Cuba is. It’s approx 850 km from havana to santiago

Perhaps that's true but I have at least a couple dozen friends, and myself, who've gone over the last few years with zero.zero issues. There are tons of Americans, Canadians, and Europeans wandering around and an infrastructure of casas to stay in. Assuming you're not up to anything openly subversive or obnoxious, I generally wouldn't worry too much. Even in off the beaten path towns we found random Americans, including like half of the entering class of Univ of Chicago Booth MBA candidates.

@BeccaNole72 I just looked up flights to Santiago on Cubana, if you've got 36 hours in Havana you could hightail it from the port to the airport and fly to Santiago (about $330 r/t) but only one flight a day so your arrival and departure times would really have to line up.

Thanks. We arrive in Havana on Christmas Day at Noon and leave port the next day at 5:30pm. The first thing I checked were flights from Havana to Santiago because I knew driving or taking their train couldn't happen. There were no flights that day plus we would have to have 8 of us flying over. Trust me I looked at all my other alternatives and there weren't many. I think next year we will look into flying into Santiago for a few days and do the things we wanted to do but it will just be with my mom.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT