ADVERTISEMENT

Stevie Ray Vaughn

TennNole17

Star Player
Sep 18, 2003
I think I was just a few years past this guy being in my generation, but the local “rock stations” play a good bit of him. I YouTube him often and can’t really find anything I don’t like.

For those who know or were around for his “hey day”, was he ever big? Popular? Is he kind of looked over?

I don't recall blues getting much radio play in the 80s but he was fairly well known. I got more into him a few years before he died.

Saw him in concert in '85. One of the best concerts I have seen. There is a story of him and his music on AXSTV on Sling. Very good. SRV "he brought the blues to life again". He played a concert with Clapton and others. After the concert, there was an extra space on one of Clapton's helicopter so Stevie took it to get home earlier. It crashed and all on board were killed.

Life By The Drop is a perfect song.

It is indeed; probably my favorite song of his.

Prior to his death, I'd say he achieved moderate popularity. Very well-known by blues fans & more hardcore music fans, but not all that much as far as radio play (probably the only songs of his most people knew were Pride & Joy and Crossfire, which I think topped the pop charts).

Prior to his death, I'd say he achieved moderate popularity. Very well-known by blues fans & more hardcore music fans, but not all that much as far as radio play (probably the only songs of his most people knew were Pride & Joy and Crossfire, which I think topped the pop charts).

By his last year or two he was playing some pretty massive venues. Maybe not stadiums, but still...
https://www.songkick.com/artists/303928-stevie-ray-vaughan/gigography
https://www.songkick.com/artists/303928-stevie-ray-vaughan/gigography

Life by the Drop was what I was listening to, actually.

There’s a really fuzzy video on YouTube of his mtv unplugged session

Life by the Drop was what I was listening to, actually.

There’s a really fuzzy video on YouTube of his mtv unplugged session
Check out In Session. Him and Albert King going back and forth, both taking the lead at times. It's great.

I saw him in June of 1990 in Nashville with Joe Cocker, less than 2 months before he died. It was a huge sold out concert at Starwood Amphitheater, I would say he was extremely popular

Pull up his Austin City Limits show from 1989 on PBS.org. If ever in Austin, go check out his statue

th

He got some rock radio play leading up to his death. I remember his "The Sky is Crying" being in heavy rotation for a while.

The blues was never my bag, but I know he had a big following among people who play or appreciate guitar. He was a very well known name for sure.

The House is a Rockin' was getting a lot airplay around that time. Not his best song, but it is catchy.

Helicopters, night, low visibility and terrain in the immediate area of takeoff. I didn't realize his brother and sister and law were originally set to be on that flight until some members of Clapton's crew "bumped" them. Tragic.

I just know the Crossfire stuff because it was on the radio. He also played solos on David Bowie's "Let's Dance" album. Never been a blues purist, although I recognize it's the basis for pretty much every classic hard rock band I love.

I saw him in June of 1990 in Nashville with Joe Cocker, less than 2 months before he died. It was a huge sold out concert at Starwood Amphitheater, I would say he was extremely popular

Now that was a fascinating concert I am sure. Cocker is under appreciated IMO. He always had a killer band backing him whenever I heard him.

Was born too late and missed out on SRV. Favorite artists/music of mine are in his realm (KWS, Mayer, Clapton, Bonnamassa). Go on Youtube monthly and will get lost in his concerts. Think there was a Montreal one that I watch frequently. Still amazing to watch and hear him play the guitar. Bummed I never got to see him perform live.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT