ADVERTISEMENT

Studies on effectiveness of mask wearing

Had the annual with my doc yesterday and he said a couple things about C19. He said that 14-15 of his patients have tested positive, with one 80 year male hospitalized. He said the virus appears to be weakening. He's optimistic they will eradicate it like Sars. As far as masks goes, he relayed a story about a hairdresser up here in VA who had it and gave it to most of her family members. However they did tracing and no customers or employees at the salon got it. Mask wearing there is mandatory for everyone.

Had the annual with my doc yesterday and he said a couple things about C19. He said that 14-15 of his patients have tested positive, with one 80 year male hospitalized. He said the virus appears to be weakening. He's optimistic they will eradicate it like Sars. As far as masks goes, he relayed a story about a hairdresser up here in VA who had it and gave it to most of her family members. However they did tracing and no customers or employees at the salon got it. Mask wearing there is mandatory for everyone.

I agree anecdotal stories about hair stylist are much more credible than science based studies from the CDC, New England Journal of Medicine, University of Illinois, and the Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine.

We all know it is the law, and I wear my mask to ensure I do not upset others who think it may help. But the evidence is overwhelming that it doesn’t for anyone who is willing to look at the evidence.

Last edited:
i think the distinction in that article is that the one employee wore a double-layered cotton mask and the second employee wore either the same double-layered cotton mask or a surgical mask. I think where people push back is when people are wearing neck gaiters (which have been found to transmit equal or more virus than wearing no mask at all) or single-layer fashion cloth that has up to 97% transmission rate. this is what local schools (in my area) have been dishing out to the kids.

Reactions: hatsbo and ChiefWB
i think the distinction in that article is that the one employee wore a double-layered cotton mask and the second employee wore either the same double-layered cotton mask or a surgical mask. I think where people push back is when people are wearing neck gaiters (which have been found to transmit equal or more virus than wearing no mask at all) or single-layer fashion cloth that has up to 97% transmission rate. this is what local schools (in my area) have been dishing out to the kids.
I agree all things are not equal. But that story has stuck with me. And I am grateful not to have Covid hair because of it.

I love how not until COVID-19 hit did face masks suddenly become effective against a respiratory virus. But COVID-19 is a magical virus as we know and it changes all the standards of science and biology that preceded it. That in all the randomized controlled trials (RCT's) ever produced regarding the effectiveness of face masks from 1946 to July, 2018 it was found that face masks provided no significant reduction in transmission.

But this article published by the CDC is so antiquated that it was published back in May, 2020. Plus on an anecdotal note, Asian countries such as China and Japan have been wearing face masks for decades without a global pandemic and as we all saw COVID-19 didn't affect either of those countries because of their mass face mask wearing (sarcasm).

From the linked CDC article:

Face Masks

In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs (Real Time Controlled Trials) that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946–July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

"Conclusion: Wearing masks will not reduce SARS-CoV-2.
  • N95 masks protect health care workers, but are not recommended for source control transmission.
  • Surgical masks are better than cloth but not very efficient at preventing emissions from infected patients.
  • Cloth masks will be ineffective at preventing SARS-CoV-2 transmission, whether worn as source control or as personal protective equipment (PPE)."

"Conclusion: Wearing masks will not reduce SARS-CoV-2.
  • N95 masks protect health care workers, but are not recommended for source control transmission.
  • Surgical masks are better than cloth but not very efficient at preventing emissions from infected patients.
  • Cloth masks will be ineffective at preventing SARS-CoV-2 transmission, whether worn as source control or as personal protective equipment (PPE)."
/thread

Reactions: goldmom
Swiss Policy Research (SPR) (before May 2020 Swiss Propaganda Research) is a website launched in 2016, which describes itself as "an independent nonprofit research group investigating geopolitical propaganda in Swiss and international media". The editors of the site are unknown, but they claim that "SPR is composed of independent academics and receives no external funding".[1] The site has been widely criticised for spreading conspiracy theories, especially during the times of the COVID-19 pandemic when it has become a source of misinformation and disinformation internationally.[2] The site has been categorized as a tool of propaganda.[3] It has also been noted that, contrary to what the title suggests, the contents of the site are likely created outside of Switzerland.

Swiss Policy Research (SPR) (before May 2020 Swiss Propaganda Research) is a website launched in 2016, which describes itself as "an independent nonprofit research group investigating geopolitical propaganda in Swiss and international media". The editors of the site are unknown, but they claim that "SPR is composed of independent academics and receives no external funding".[1] The site has been widely criticised for spreading conspiracy theories, especially during the times of the COVID-19 pandemic when it has become a source of misinformation and disinformation internationally.[2] The site has been categorized as a tool of propaganda.[3] It has also been noted that, contrary to what the title suggests, the contents of the site are likely created outside of Switzerland.

I often wonder if people that post on this board like this poster can actually read, or for that matter can think for themselves. Because the link the OP posted listed numerous studies and articles from multiple sources like those crazy organizations named the CDC and the WHO. It literally listed each article and study with a link to the original source.

So if the devil himself posted an article with links to the original sources of each article. How is anything false? That tells me either this poster is just ignorant or has an agenda.

I can't respond well right now because I'm busy dragging my feet so I won't fall off the edge of the earth.

I often wonder if people that post on this board like this poster can actually read, or for that matter can think for themselves. Because the link the OP posted listed numerous studies and articles from multiple sources like those crazy organizations named the CDC and the WHO. It literally listed each article and study with a link to the original source.

So if the devil himself posted an article with links to the original sources of each article. How is anything false? That tells me either this poster is just ignorant or has an agenda.
Exactly. And if you actually read and understand some of the articles sourced and their relationship to our current pandemic today, you'd see why the article OP posted or the one from aaps has an agenda.
These sites aren't understanding the research or at the very best just telling incomplete truths that don't tell the whole story and or are irrelevant to the current pandemic.

I run R&D for a pharma company.
One of my formulators was whipping up a custom aqueous color suspension for coating tablets. It involved a red dye and laboratory mixer...not much different than whipping up some grout or mortar so you can expect some powder to be generated as a result of the mixing action.
We wear N95 in the lab regardless of Covid to prevent powder inhalation. And these aren't the cheap knock-offs we are seeing now.
When he was done his face was covered in red dye including underneath the mask. I was curious so I had him run a particle size analysis on the dye using laser defraction. The mean of the dye was around 6 microns. This virus is around 300 nm or .3 microns.

One of my formulators was whipping up a custom aqueous color suspension for coating tablets. It involved a red dye and laboratory mixer...not much different than whipping up some grout or mortar so you can expect some powder to be generated as a result of the mixing action.
We wear N95 in the lab regardless of Covid to prevent powder inhalation. And these aren't the cheap knock-offs we are seeing now.
When he was done his face was covered in red dye including underneath the mask. I was curious so I had him run a particle size analysis on the dye using laser defraction. The mean of the dye was around 6 microns. This virus is around 300 nm or .3 microns.
that pesky empirical data...

According to your story, the “authentic” N95 mask didn’t work. So it seems logical that you told your boss there’s no need to wear masks at work anymore, right?

Reactions: 89nole
Who is still wearing a mask to prevent catching a virus? That's so four months ago. It's fashion now. I always wear a Brooks Brothers mask that matches my tie. I honestly can't see myself ever ditching it now that's it become such a staple in my wardrobe.

They're going to make great stocking stuffers this year!

Who is still wearing a mask to prevent catching a virus? That's so four months ago. It's fashion now. I always wear a Brooks Brothers mask that matches my tie. I honestly can't see myself ever ditching it now that's it become such a staple in my wardrobe.

Clearly, you do not wear glasses; yet. No mask currently available allows me to see through my glasses and stay safe at the same time.

According to your story, the “authentic” N95 mask didn’t work. So it seems logical that you told your boss there’s no need to wear masks at work anymore, right?

I didn't have to tell my boss anything...I am the boss. How else do think I have time to post on WC during the day? :)
We use the N95 masks as a general line of protection against inhaling excessive powders and API's. When we handle highly potent or cytotoxic API's we kick the PPE up to an appropriate level. That even includes glove boxes and other engineering controls.
The difference here is that, in a general setting, filtering 95% of the airborne particulates is fine. If we are exposed to a small snoot of microcrystalline cellulose, anhydrous lactose or any other inactive ingredient it's not the end of the world...these substances are not living multiplying orgasms.
Will N95 completely protect you?, no. Does it help?, yes. Social distancing, washing hands frequently and N95 is the trilogy I follow.

the problem lies in the fact that many have abandoned two parts of the trilogy after donning their fashion super cloth.

I didn't have to tell my boss anything...I am the boss. How else do think I have time to post on WC during the day? :)
We use the N95 masks as a general line of protection against inhaling excessive powders and API's. When we handle highly potent or cytotoxic API's we kick the PPE up to an appropriate level. That even includes glove boxes and other engineering controls.
The difference here is that, in a general setting, filtering 95% of the airborne particulates is fine. If we are exposed to a small snoot of microcrystalline cellulose, anhydrous lactose or any other inactive ingredient it's not the end of the world...these substances are not living multiplying orgasms.
Will N95 completely protect you?, no. Does it help?, yes. Social distancing, washing hands frequently and N95 is the trilogy I follow.

Good. So you agree that N95 mask is an essential part of the trilogy we all need to follow.

Since you’re in this industry you are probably aware that 3M N95 1860 masks are virtually impossible for the general public to purchase.

What are your thoughts on 3 Ply surgical masks level 2 and 3? They also have filtration levels of 95%-98% for both BFE and PFE.

BTW is your boss going to the FSU/Miami game this weekend?

Good. So you agree that N95 mask is an essential part of the trilogy we all need to follow.

Since you’re in this industry you are probably aware that 3M N95 1860 masks are virtually impossible for the general public to purchase.

What are your thoughts on 3 Ply surgical masks level 2 and 3? They also have filtration levels of 95%-98% for both BFE and PFE.

BTW is your boss going to the FSU/Miami game this weekend?

My opinion is that everything helps. A mask probably does more to prevent stuff from getting out than stuff from getting in.
Not a chance. I've practiced social distancing from Canes fans for years.

masks are the new socks.

Reactions: flnole and 12Nole
masks are the new socks.

NK_Mask_202011134_600x600_crop_center.jpg

Reactions: Bartdog
If you are a scientist then you would understand that the virus for the most part is spread within water droplets expressed when we speak or cough or sneeze. These water particles are much larger then the virus particles and most are trapped in the mask. The virus might have some aerosol spread but it is not the major way it is spread. The information the op posted is largely an opinion piece. The vast majority of scientist and medical professionals completely disagree. The science is clearly in favor of mask use. The rest is propaganda spread by social media and people with agendas.

Reactions: bookernole
If you are a scientist then you would understand that the virus for the most part is spread within water droplets expressed when we speak or cough or sneeze. These water particles are much larger then the virus particles and most are trapped in the mask. The virus might have some aerosol spread but it is not the major way it is spread. The information the op posted is largely an opinion piece. The vast majority of scientist and medical professionals completely disagree. The science is clearly in favor of mask use. The rest is propaganda spread by social media and people with agendas.

The original post was a list of the worlds most respected medical researcher, and the results of their studies, which are linked in every case. You can disagree, but it is science based and it is not an opinion piece.

Reactions: evgoodwin
And if you were a scientist you know about things like settling velocities and surface area to volume ratios and its effect on evaporation rates.
There are 2 things...the donor and the recipient.
While virus containing aerosols generated by the donor by coughing or sneezing are larger in particle size than the virus itself there is a large particle size distribution that is generated. The larger aerosol particles will settle or impact on surfaces. In this case, hand washing, hand sanitizer and a recipients N95 mask would be effective. The liquid portion of the smaller particles will evaporate over time and the settling velocity of sub micron particles is measured in days. It is these particles that a recipients N95 mask will be ineffective against.
Those who claim N95 is the end all be all are ignorant or politically motivated.
As a stated before, I follow social distancing, washing hands frequently and a mask but if I had to rank them it would be: social distancing > washing hands frequently > mask wearing.

The original post was a list of the worlds most respected medical researcher, and the results of their studies, which are linked in every case. You can disagree, but it is science based and it is not an opinion piece.
You continue to miss what you shared is editorialized opinion that references scientific pieces of scientific studies to fit a point of view.

When you take part of a study out of context of it's specific conditions and apply it to different conditions you are not following science. The science is in the specific studies themselves not the editorializing of pieces of it to fit a point of view.

You continue to miss what you shared is editorialized opinion that references scientific pieces of scientific studies to fit a point of view.

When you take part of a study out of context of it's specific conditions and apply it to different conditions you are not following science. The science is in the specific studies themselves not the editorializing of pieces of it to fit a point of view.

Forget the article and read the studies. They all draw the similar conclusions.

The studies were not done by minor league organizations. Many of the are the gold standards of medical research.

And if you were a scientist you know about things like settling velocities and surface area to volume ratios and its effect on evaporation rates.
There are 2 things...the donor and the recipient.
While virus containing aerosols generated by the donor by coughing or sneezing are larger in particle size than the virus itself there is a large particle size distribution that is generated. The larger aerosol particles will settle or impact on surfaces. In this case, hand washing, hand sanitizer and a recipients N95 mask would be effective. The liquid portion of the smaller particles will evaporate over time and the settling velocity of sub micron particles is measured in days. It is these particles that a recipients N95 mask will be ineffective against.
Those who claim N95 is the end all be all are ignorant or politically motivated.
As a stated before, I follow social distancing, washing hands frequently and a mask but if I had to rank them it would be: social distancing > washing hands frequently > mask wearing.
There is no question and it is obvious that the single greatest method of prevention is avoiding the virus by social distancing. However i would rank mask use ahead of hand washing. Most of the scientific information I have read is that the virus does not live long on surfaces and contracting it from this method is the rarest form of transmission.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT