ADVERTISEMENT

Take a Bite Out of Crime

I'm not a gun guy or hardcore conservative, but I am not going to manufacture sympathy for some random moron criminal who violated someone's personal space and property either. I do feel bad for the gator who did nothing to deserve the death penalty, though.

I'm not a gun guy or hardcore conservative, but I am not going to manufacture sympathy for some random moron criminal who violated someone's personal space and property either. I do feel bad for the gator who did nothing to deserve the death penalty, though.
I don't think anyone is suggesting you should feign sympathy for him. However, I don't think anyone should suggest that being eaten alive by an alligator is getting what he deserved for burglary or take pleasure in his death. It's not dissimilar to mobs cheering on in Rome as criminals were killed by animals in the Coliseum. Hey man, they were just getting what they deserved. Just one more criminal off the street.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you should feign sympathy for him. However, I don't think anyone should suggest that being eaten alive by an alligator is getting what he deserved for burglary or take pleasure in his death. It's not dissimilar to mobs cheering on in Rome as criminals were killed by animals in the Coliseum. Hey man, they were just getting what they deserved. Just one more criminal off the street.
I'm certainly not suggesting the punishment fit the crime or taking joy in his death. My point is once you cross a certain line, you open yourself up to any and all consequences. I can't feel bad for a guy who had every opportunity to NOT commit a felony but did and ended up dying as a result.

Reactions: emccroan
Burglar gets eaten by an alligator while trying to hide from the cops....that's just funny...right out of a Carl Hiaasen book.

Reactions: gwgwi
When I lived in Havana my house was broken into. If I had caught them in my house I would have without a doubt killed them. They took everything and the cops just simply said "you're not going to get your stuff back". They think no one is at home because no cars are there. But what if my car was in the shop and I'm home alone in bed?? With that said, I have no sympathy for a guy who goes around breaking into peoples homes. My wife was terrified after that and we ended up moving .

I didn't say EastCoast Nole, you're a bad person. I didn't call anyone out specifically, but if you feel like I was talking to you (the general you), I probably was.

I disagree that breaking into homes makes a person worse than someone who laughs and enjoys the death of a kid. There's something deeper down in those people that's a bit terrifying.

And I don't buy the internet talk. Well I take that back, I think you're right. But that doesn't make it right.

This wasn't a 10 year old kid shoplifting. This was a grown man breaking into homes. Something he apparently did with regularity. It's a shame he lost his life but he made the choices he did as an adult, knowing there could be consequences and he paid the ultimate. This wasn't a person swimming that was attacked, this was a guy who was violating people's homes, the place where they should feel the safest. Not celebrating his death but not upset about it either.

If the criminals in Rome ran to escape capture and was dumb enough to hide in the lion's cage, then yes I would say he got what he deserved.

If the criminals in Rome ran to escape capture and was dumb enough to hide in the lion's cage, then yes I would say he got what he deserved.
Why is death getting what you deserve for committing a non-violent crime?

Look, I think we can all agree that if someone breaks into a home, the homeowner has every right to defend themselves... if that means the guy gets shot then so be it. This guy didn't do that.. it can be argued whether he may or may not have done it at some point, but the facts are he didn't. It can also be agreed on it that was stupid to hide in a pond at night like that.. .but for anyone to be happy or glad that another human being is dead when in fact he didn't do anything wrong... maybe he would have.. but he didn't... is just wrong and frankly karma is a bitch.

Why is death getting what you deserve for committing a non-violent crime?

You think breaking into someones house is a "non violent" crime?? Really?? Your house will never feel the same once it gets violated and God knows if your wife and/or children are there and the guy has a gun. These guys that do this stuff are desperate and will do anything. It's far from "non violent".

You think breaking into someones house is a "non violent" crime?? Really?? Your house will never feel the same once it gets violated and God knows if your wife and/or children are there and the guy has a gun. These guys that do this stuff are desperate and will do anything. It's far from "non violent".
What you just said isn't relevant. What does a victim's future feelings on their home have to do with it being a violent crime or not? Also, you also didn't answer the question of why is death getting what you deserve for not even committing the crime yet?

If a pickpocket in New Orleans steal someone's wallet during Mardi Gras and then a random bye stander beats their head in with a pipe for it? Did the thief also get what he deserved?

What if a homeless man opens my unlocked door when I'm out of town to steal food for his family that has no food. If while he's walking back down the street with my loaf of bread someone's four pit bulls rip him to pieces in front of his family. Did he also get what he deserved?

Hopefully a young gator gets in a fatal crash and dies so we can all say "shouldn't have been texting and driving... idiot". Most likely someone's daughter and I'm sure no one on this board does it ever, much less on an almost daily basis. "She put others in danger when she did it, she didn't care, and she paid the consequences for it... and if I saw her doing it, I would have ran her off the road myself!" I'm about as conservative as they come but it is bothersome seeing what some of yall post. Bunch of ant burners

His crime was being too stupid to live.
That's not a crime. Regardless, I'm not getting your point. Are you suggesting that those that commit crimes and/or fall below a certain intelligence quotient should be put to death? That's radical thinking.

Hopefully a young gator gets in a fatal crash and dies so we can all say "shouldn't have been texting and driving... idiot". Most likely someone's daughter and I'm sure no one on this board does it ever, much less on an almost daily basis. "She put others in danger when she did it, she didn't care, and she paid the consequences for it... and if I saw her doing it, I would have ran her off the road myself!" I'm about as conservative as they come but it is bothersome seeing what some of yall post. Bunch of ant burners
Everyone is big and tough on the internet. "Man, ISIS is lucky they attacked California because if they had come to Ocklocknee, Georgia they wouldn't have made it two feet on Main Street."

That's not a crime.

The Universe has judged differently.

Are you suggesting that those that commit crimes and/or fall below a certain intelligence quotient should be put to death? That's radical thinking.

I'm stating, not suggesting, that the Universe puts an end to dumb people. Not enough of them, and not fast enough, for my tastes, but I do think it operates on my side...

Reactions: RancheroNole
The Universe has judged differently.

I'm stating, not suggesting, that the Universe puts an end to dumb people. Not enough of them, and not fast enough, for my tastes, but I do think it operates on my side...
So it is your belief that the "universe" should cause the death of even more "stupid" people? Which stupid people are the ones that need more killing?

Pops don't think stuff is funny.
It's not that the kid got eaten by an alligator, it's not that he was robbing homes, it's not that he was running from the law, it's not that he told his girlfriend what he was doing.........it's the whole big picture of absurdness that makes this comedy gold.
Humans have been laughing at other people's misfortune since Grog got eaten by the sabertooth at the dawn of civilization.

If a pickpocket in New Orleans steal someone's wallet during Mardi Gras and then a random bye stander beats their head in with a pipe for it? Did the thief also get what he deserved?
Yes.

What if a homeless man opens my unlocked door when I'm out of town to steal food for his family that has no food. If while he's walking back down the street with my loaf of bread someone's four pit bulls rip him to pieces in front of his family. Did he also get what he deserved?
No. But if the criminal is on the run and decides to hide in the pen/doghouse of the four pit bulls to evade capture, and is subsequently ripped to pieces and eaten, then he got what he deserved. But in your scenario where he's just walking down the street, snacking on my Pringles, and was attacked and killed, then it's the Dogs of Peace who are at fault for his demise.

I concur that I find it terrible to see people laughing at someone's horrific death.

I also enjoy people saying they if he would have broken into their house he would be dead anyways. The more likely event is that you cower in your bedroom with the door shut with the gun pointed at the door and probably would be so frightened you wouldn't hit him if you tried but yes I know you're an expert shot at the range.

Maybe you cower if you are unsure on how to use a gun. If you go to the range or hunt regularly, I doubt you miss and you probably don't shirk from the need to pull the trigger when confronted.

Was deemed aggressive and posed future threats. Im guessing they are trying to prevent this happening to a pet or child in the future

I'm guessing a Gator could develop a taste for human flesh (or at least increase its propensity to view humans as a food source), just like some other animals supposedly have.

What do they put on his headstone...He was a sweet guy?
Need to consult the gator on that description. I know there's a medium out there who can communicate with animals.

Medium: "Barefoot Bay Gator, tell me, was Matthew Riggins sweet ?"
Gator: "Who??? I've eaten more than one person......Was he white meat or dark ? "

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT