ADVERTISEMENT

Tallahassee malls

TallyNole93

All-American
Jul 23, 2008
Ellijay, GA
Curious. What are the state of the Tallahassee malls? Flourishing? Surviving? Dying? I have seen several articles how malls are a thing of the past. All the years I lived in Tallahassee, it seemed Tallahassee mall was a constant trying to survive and Gov Square flourished. What is the state now?

Reactions: squiffynole
The only reason I have ever gone to the mall in T-town was for the G&G store, which I think has moved?

Tallahassee Mall was supposed to be doing a big re-boot that sounded pretty interesting but, it doesn't seem to be progressing as hoped.

Not much good to report.

At about 500,000 square feet Northwood Mall opened in the late 1960's and had Publix, the public library and the Silver Slipper as big draws. But around 2000 Publix moved out and uses converted over to office/call center/fitness followed by nasty mold problems and the discovery of bat guano immediately over the office of a state agency head. (true story)

Tallahassee Mall came along in 1971 and was kind of infamous for dumping flooding and water quality problems into Lake Jackson. Anyway it did well and grew to about about 750,000 sq ft with a 20 screen theater but fell into decline to where a new owner recently tore down a wing added an indoor/outdoor amphitheater for musical performances and community events. They are giving it a go but the Centre of Tallahassee looks like a white elephant to me.

Centre+of+Tallahassee2.JPG

Then in 1979 Governor's Square opened, with it's two levels and natural light the place still looks beautiful to me. It's about 1,000,000 sq feet which was the prototypical size in the day, looks to me its in decline Penny's and Sears don't draw people like before and the smaller stores have been trending down. I've been there maybe twice since G&G moved.

ffl0407.jpg

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

No doubt mall demand was sucked away by the more contemporary lifestyle centers and is now are being hammered by internet shopping. Turns out the structures are only good for 30 or 40 years anyway. Malls are dying all over, there has been one new mall built in the country over the last 10 years (and it's in Sarasota).

End of opus.

The Tallahassee mall thing was completely bungled. The idea was to emulate the open air walk about malls that emulate going to a small downtown. But they either cheaped out or got the wrong architect because the result was horrible. The concert venue is not working well either. Add to all of this is an utter lack of publicity and advertising. I actually think the urban market,though poorly named, is fantastic and a kept secret.

Of contrast is the Bannerman Crossing open air village square type mall type development. It has been a big success.

Not much good to report.

At about 500,000 square feet Northwood Mall opened in the late 1960's and had Publix, the public library and the Silver Slipper as big draws. But around 2000 Publix moved out and uses converted over to office/call center/fitness followed by nasty mold problems and the discovery of bat guano immediately over the office of a state agency head. (true story)

Tallahassee Mall came along in 1971 and was kind of infamous for dumping flooding and water quality problems into Lake Jackson. Anyway it did well and grew to about about 750,000 sq ft with a 20 screen theater but fell into decline to where a new owner recently tore down a wing added an indoor/outdoor amphitheater for musical performances and community events. They are giving it a go but the Centre of Tallahassee looks like a white elephant to me.

Centre+of+Tallahassee2.JPG

Then in 1979 Governor's Square opened, with it's two levels and natural light the place still looks beautiful to me. It's about 1,000,000 sq feet which was the prototypical size in the day, looks to me its in decline Penny's and Sears don't draw people like before and the smaller stores have been trending down. I've been there maybe twice since G&G moved.

ffl0407.jpg

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

No doubt mall demand was sucked away by the more contemporary lifestyle centers and is now are being hammered by internet shopping. Turns out the structures are only good for 30 or 40 years anyway. Malls are dying all over, there has been one new mall built in the country over the last 10 years (and it's in Sarasota).

End of opus.

All of that looks correct except the Silver Slipper. It was by Tallahassee Mall and had the very afforable hotel (now an extended stay) right across the street from Godfathers Pizza. Can't remember what Godfather's turned into, Mexican?, now its a Sushi place. UNless there were multiple silver slippers, I don't remember one being by Northwood Mall.

All of that looks correct except the Silver Slipper. It was by Tallahassee Mall and had the very afforable hotel (now an extended stay) right across the street from Godfathers Pizza. Can't remember what Godfather's turned into, Mexican?, now its a Sushi place. UNless there were multiple silver slippers, I don't remember one being by Northwood Mall.
Old school silver slipper was in bowels of northwood mall. Before that and before my time, it was on south Monroe. The location you refer to was its last.

Hot rumor is they are about to build an outlet mall by the Lowes on the west side of town. Tale of a Topgolf going out there as well. It will be interesting to see if that happens or not.

Hot rumor is they are about to build an outlet mall by the Lowes on the west side of town. Tale of a Topgolf going out there as well. It will be interesting to see if that happens or not.
I think the outlet mall happens, but this is the first I'd heard of Top Golf.

Here is the website for the updated Tallahassee Mall: Centre of Tallahassee

I've only been a few times but I thought it was much better use of space than the previous mall setup. The food market was good both times I've had it and I like having another venue to draw decent mid size touring acts. The only thing that looked troubling was the shops were sparse so anyone that wanted to walk shop to shop might have a long trip. Loved that mall in its prime, my dad worked at Gayfers/Dillards so I was there a lot.

The new outlet center on the NW side is called Park Place

Site%20Plan.jpg

Here is the website for the updated Tallahassee Mall: Centre of Tallahassee

I've only been a few times but I thought it was much better use of space than the previous mall setup. The food market was good both times I've had it and I like having another venue to draw decent mid size touring acts. The only thing that looked troubling was the shops were sparse so anyone that wanted to walk shop to shop might have a long trip. Loved that mall in its prime, my dad worked at Gayfers/Dillards so I was there a lot.

The new outlet center on the NW side is called Park Place

Site%20Plan.jpg
I think the Outlet Mall will happen and will be a nice success. I do wish it was off the Mahan/90 I10 exit. Not sure there will be a Top Golf thought. Sounds like wishful thinking.

While we are on the subjects of malls and restaurants in Tallahassee, my favorite restaurant as a kid of the 70s and 80s here in Tallahassee was the Brown Derby situated on an out-parcel near the SE corner of the old mall development. That was fine dining for us, and as a kid, it seemed huge. Good times, good times.

While we are on the subjects of malls and restaurants in Tallahassee, my favorite restaurant as a kid of the 70s and 80s here in Tallahassee was the Brown Derby situated on an out-parcel near the SE corner of the old mall development. That was fine dining for us, and as a kid, it seemed huge. Good times, good times.

Had a great dinner there with the roommates when one guys dad came into town, bottle of wine, steak and lobster. Cigars were even mentioned. I thought it was phenomenal. It was no CJ's or Ken's, but I enjoyed it. Looking back I'm sure the old man thought it was little backwoods. He was a movie producer who did most of his business in NY, LA, Miami and Palm Beach. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I still like Governor's, but G&G leaving hurts.

The population and traffic are a little thin out by the proposed outlet mall, and I would think especially thin for a TopGolf. That said, "could include a possible water park or top golf" is strike zone developer speak.

10 miles
Population 231,402
Household Income (med) $41,642
Home Value (med) $166,562

Traffic Count:
Capital Circle 15,000 cars per day
Interstate 10 30,000 cars per day

Good article on malls:

Malls are successfully returning to their roots as centers of their communities, a trend that is vital to their future viability, according to experts in community development and consumer trends.

“Malls are coming back to where they started,” said James Hughes, a professor and dean emeritus at Rutgers University’s School of Planning and Public Policy, speaking to market research firm Morning Consult. Southdale Center, in Edina, Minn., with its center court and gallerias, was envisioned by its architect, Victor Gruen, as a place where citizens would mingle, eat and stroll, Hughes observes. “It was a unique period of American life — they became destinations. Parents would designate Saturday afternoons to strolling up and down the mall.”

https://morningconsult.com/2018/02/22/survive-challenging-future-shopping-malls-look-to-past/

Last edited:

I remember thinking I was cooler than the other side of the pillow when we got to go there and I could order a Roy Rogers.

Reactions: noleclone2
I think the Outlet Mall will happen and will be a nice success. I do wish it was off the Mahan/90 I10 exit. Not sure there will be a Top Golf thought. Sounds like wishful thinking.
Last year one of my friends on fb mentioned turning the Cross Creek driving range into a Top Golf and tagged Devoe Moore.
Devoe commented back (in summary) "I don't think people in Tallahassee would pay the price. Installing a Top Golf at Cross Creek is a VERY expensive venture but if you get the investment ready lets go for it"

Everyone mentions Brown Derby but I missed that one, born in 82 so never had a chance I guess. My favorite childhood(and all time?) restaurant is Nicholsons.

Last year one of my friends on fb mentioned turning the Cross Creek driving range into a Top Golf and tagged Devoe Moore.
Devoe commented back (in summary) "I don't think people in Tallahassee would pay the price. Installing a Top Golf at Cross Creek is a VERY expensive venture but if you get the investment ready lets go for it"

Everyone mentions Brown Derby but I missed that one, born in 82 so never had a chance I guess. My favorite childhood(and all time?) restaurant is Nicholsons.
I agree that Tallahassee would love it at first, but Top Golf is expensive. Also, to add, those places do not cost that much to build. There really isn't that much to it and they are really good at packaging.

“Parents would designate Saturday afternoons to strolling up and down the mall.”

Ummm, not mine.

In the mid to late 80s I enjoyed Diamond Jim’s and Aladdin’s Castle for their coin operated fun, but otherwise never ‘hung out’ at the mall.

We hung out at Brown Derby in the mid-70's when we were young and childless. Happy Hour, live band, Tally's big meat market for young post-grad singles. Fun times and actually the food was good.
I had a part time job in the Mall before I went to work for Killearn Properties.

Top Golf in Jax is a huge hit. It would probably be similar in Tally.

Out here, it seems popular in Denver. I find it to be expensive, but seems like its a place to hold an adult party or work event. That said, if someone wants to golf, this isn't really for that. So using TopGolf as a substitute to actually golfing during inclement weather, not sure, it might scratch that itch for some.

Reactions: dmm5157
Top golf is a place to go with a group for an occasion, not a driving range with a bucket of balls modeled after a Par 3.
Parties are popular.

Was always curious about the Tally Mall scene. Seemed it was doomed even before the wave of internet purchasing. Northwood died before anyone had cable modems and Tallahassee Mall tried to expand with a new wing and badly failed - it was all downhill from there.

Interesting to hear that there's a new theater being built in Tally as that industry is also a melting ice cube.

At the end of the day, there's got to be something to do with this prime real estate other than turning them all into Amazon shipping centers. As a society we lack for classroom space, healthcare facilities, community meeting areas, affordable housing, festival areas, and spaces that foster local businesses -- I'd like to think that these soon to be decrepit malls and theaters could fill some of those voids.

I’m surprised they don’t have an outdoor type mall in Tallahassee at this point.

They were going to where the Costco currently sits but those plans fell apart when the previous depression errr.....I mean “soft economy” hit the real estate market.

Reactions: DanC78
Worked a summer at the Montgomery Wards Autocenter selling/installing tires at that mall. It was dying back then; ate a lot of Sbarros (hands down best authentic Italian food--always go to the original at Time Square for the best in NYC). Funny, I was dusting the car with an Old College Inn t-shirt I got at the Bealls(?) (whatever the cheap clothes place in the mall was) that other day and brought up memories of that summer. Outside of line cooks at Chili's, I had never worked with a more derelict band of misfits, hoodlums and felons than the "mechanics" and installers at the Wards.

Reactions: billanole
They were going to where the Costco currently sits but those plans fell apart when the previous depression errr.....I mean “soft economy” hit the real estate market.

Last year or two they’ve been finally filling in stores in that area.
Nothing interesting, but it’s clear that 10 years on the development has resumed.
My family is looking forward to the dine in theater being finished. It’s a bike ride from the house.

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT