ADVERTISEMENT

Tallahassee malls

I think the Outlet Mall will happen and will be a nice success. I do wish it was off the Mahan/90 I10 exit. Not sure there will be a Top Golf thought. Sounds like wishful thinking.

Horrible location for Top Golf. Could see it doing well somewhere on Thomasville Rd, but I don't think Tallahassee is a place that screams Top Golf. Not enough money in that town and most folks are cheap there.

226fde887a68185448c6f7d8607be6e667340bae23fff41d66c92ffc832d3b15.jpg

Definitely in my top ten comedians who died of drug overdose/suicide.

Reactions: EconSean and Gonolz
I spent many of hours sleeping in refrigerator boxes on the top shelf of the Sears storage room at the Tallahassee Mall while earning the big bucks.

Was always curious about the Tally Mall scene. Seemed it was doomed even before the wave of internet purchasing. Northwood died before anyone had cable modems and Tallahassee Mall tried to expand with a new wing and badly failed - it was all downhill from there.

Interesting to hear that there's a new theater being built in Tally as that industry is also a melting ice cube.

At the end of the day, there's got to be something to do with this prime real estate other than turning them all into Amazon shipping centers. As a society we lack for classroom space, healthcare facilities, community meeting areas, affordable housing, festival areas, and spaces that foster local businesses -- I'd like to think that these soon to be decrepit malls and theaters could fill some of those voids.
It seems like strip centers transition to lower order uses a lot better then enclosed malls that have become structurally obsolete and carry expensive common areas.

But then again in South Florida those 12-acre strip centers from the 70' s and 80's are being gobbled up and turned into higher density mixed use development. There's a kzillion new units like this west of Boca/Delray/Boynton.

We could use more of that in Tallahassee.

The Tallahassee mall thing was completely bungled. The idea was to emulate the open air walk about malls that emulate going to a small downtown. But they either cheaped out or got the wrong architect because the result was horrible. The concert venue is not working well either. Add to all of this is an utter lack of publicity and advertising. I actually think the urban market,though poorly named, is fantastic and a kept secret.

The current Tallahassee Mall is scatterbrained. I never understood what it is supposed to be. It's a hodgepodge. Someone threw several unrelated ideas in a pot and mixed them all up.

It just doesn't make any sense. It has no anchor stores, with big spaces essentially abandoned. All of its outparcels contain vacant buildings. Concerts only drag in people there once in a blue moon. They could knock down everything but Barnes and Nobles and the AMC (which both existed prior to the latest changes) and could probably retain 90% of the visits.

Reactions: noleclone2
Yeah, I was excited about the prospect of the Center of Tallahassee, but that whole thing has been terribly executed. I've been once and hated everything about it.

Governor's square is still doing ok. Not near it's heyday, but it's not dying at this point. Although that could change at any time.

I also think Tallahassee is long overdue for the outlet mall, but I think the location is wrong. I guess it's a lot cheaper to acquire land over there, but it would do much better off of I-10 and Mahan area.

Reactions: noleclone2
Yeah, I was excited about the prospect of the Center of Tallahassee, but that whole thing has been terribly executed. I've been once and hated everything about it.

Governor's square is still doing ok. Not near it's heyday, but it's not dying at this point. Although that could change at any time.

I also think Tallahassee is long overdue for the outlet mall, but I think the location is wrong. I guess it's a lot cheaper to acquire land over there, but it would do much better off of I-10 and Mahan area.

I thought that too, but now, I am coming around. This location is closer to college demo and the NE folks and even East folks can get there fairly easy using I-10. The folks from GA and Killearn Lakes/Bannerman area can use the new Orchard Pond toll road as well to then just head south on capital circle. Also closer to Gadsden and Jackson Counties which have more poulation than Jefferson/Madison. I bet the cost was way cheaper too

One problem is definitely the music venue. It’s got plenty of bathrooms, a nice air flow circulation for a covered venue and having the BBQ place next door works well. But...they should have used AstroTurf or another surface and/or included some sound deafening tiles on the ceiling because the sound echoes and rattled around that hollow all concrete surface. Unless you’re right by the speakers it sounds terrible.

One problem is definitely the music venue. It’s got plenty of bathrooms, a nice air flow circulation for a covered venue and having the BBQ place next door works well. But...they should have used AstroTurf or another surface and/or included some sound deafening tiles on the ceiling because the sound echoes and rattled around that hollow all concrete surface. Unless you’re right by the speakers it sounds terrible.
The concert venue was definitely done "On the cheap". I was severely underwhelmed.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Here is the website for the updated Tallahassee Mall: Centre of Tallahassee

I've only been a few times but I thought it was much better use of space than the previous mall setup. The food market was good both times I've had it and I like having another venue to draw decent mid size touring acts. The only thing that looked troubling was the shops were sparse so anyone that wanted to walk shop to shop might have a long trip. Loved that mall in its prime, my dad worked at Gayfers/Dillards so I was there a lot.

The new outlet center on the NW side is called Park Place

Site%20Plan.jpg

Was there talk that upscale apartments were going in there?

Here is the website for the updated Tallahassee Mall: Centre of Tallahassee

I've only been a few times but I thought it was much better use of space than the previous mall setup. The food market was good both times I've had it and I like having another venue to draw decent mid size touring acts. The only thing that looked troubling was the shops were sparse so anyone that wanted to walk shop to shop might have a long trip. Loved that mall in its prime, my dad worked at Gayfers/Dillards so I was there a lot.

The new outlet center on the NW side is called Park Place

Site%20Plan.jpg
We had our pix for the high school annual taken at Gayfers. I was skateboarding down the steep ramp off of John Knox road waiting for my appointment and had an epic crash. Old style ceramic wheels failed to hold a turn. The head shot did not show the blood oozing threw my shirt from road rash on my shoulders.
Dero, what was the store that sold black lights, posters, gag gifts, and general garbage? Some people I knew used to go in there from time to time.
Also, I didn’t remember a second floor. Was it always there?

I think the store you are talking about is Spencers(Spencer Gifts?) - the 2nd floor(and that whole wing) was added when AMC came in. I don't remember if they remodeled the food court at the same time or before AMC but I remember when ChickFilA was one of the only choices. I remember when Gayfers had the gift store downstairs by the side door and always had fresh baked cookies. We had our family picture done every year at their employee night when they'd close the store and have big discounts and door prizes.

I miss the Orange Julius that used to be on the north end of the mall. THis is back when Putt Putt was still on the backside of the mall.

Makes me think of think of the Stallone Orange Julius SNL skit. Stallone is small compared to Ferrell. Don't remember that.

Went to AMC to see Red Sparrow Saturday afternoon. Walked around a bit before the movie and it was ghost town. There was a little enclosed trailer for the SE GA Cornhole League at the pavilion with over a dozen games setup. Some guys in what looked like bowling shirts, but shared the trailer logo, with not much else going on.

THis is back when Putt Putt was still on the backside of the mall.
YwMBHUJ.gif

So many birthday parties back there at putt putt. QZar(?) was also a great place when it first opened. I remember when AMC was added there would be a line around the corner and out the door for movies on the weekends, every restaurant was packed and all the stores were busy. Good times(except parking).

I miss the Orange Julius that used to be on the north end of the mall. THis is back when Putt Putt was still on the backside of the mall.

Makes me think of think of the Stallone Orange Julius SNL skit. Stallone is small compared to Ferrell. Don't remember that.
Add a bit of vodka or tequila to that Orange Julius... of course you could add a lot.
Really, that was a great drink.

Update on what we can now officially call the failed Centre of Tallahassee outdoor mall redevelopment - becoming state offices.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/12/28/state-workers-get-new-digs-2019/2425594002/

The Department of Children and Families is the big fish that McNeill landed for the Centre. DCF’s lease at Winewood on Blairstone Road expires next December. About 1,300 workers will occupy most of what is remaining of the former mall’s interior space.

“The department is working with the Centre of Tallahassee to finalize the terms of the lease for 258,000 square feet,” said DaMonica Smith, DCF’s spokeswoman.

Reactions: squiffynole
Update on what we can now officially call the failed Centre of Tallahassee outdoor mall redevelopment - becoming state offices.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/12/28/state-workers-get-new-digs-2019/2425594002/

The Department of Children and Families is the big fish that McNeill landed for the Centre. DCF’s lease at Winewood on Blairstone Road expires next December. About 1,300 workers will occupy most of what is remaining of the former mall’s interior space.

“The department is working with the Centre of Tallahassee to finalize the terms of the lease for 258,000 square feet,” said DaMonica Smith, DCF’s spokeswoman.
Yes that mall is dead. Most of the businesses gone. It's a ghost town.

So What will they do with the concert venue since the place is state offices?

Pretty much what they’ve been doing with it lately which is not much.

I was excited about the venue when I first heard about it. It really is a terrible place to listen to music. Concrete and medal frame. Sound is horrible and no seating. All standing room only.

It wouldn’t have taken much to fix it as it was/is 90% of the way to being a good venue with plenty of bathrooms and a restaurant literally attached. But it needs some acoustical tiles on the ceiling and some artificial turf on the ground (both to deaden the sound so it doesn’t get the riccochet echoes and to make it comfortable to stand on).

It wouldn’t have taken much to fix it as it was/is 90% of the way to being a good venue with plenty of bathrooms and a restaurant literally attached. But it needs some acoustical tiles on the ceiling and some artificial turf on the ground (both to deaden the sound so it doesn’t get the riccochet echoes and to make it comfortable to stand on).
It is like they don't care how it should sound. You are right it will take some minor changes to make it work but after 2-3 years of being open none of that has been done. The booking of acts has diminished as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
It is like they don't care how it should sound. You are right it will take some minor changes to make it work but after 2-3 years of being open none of tbsg has been done. The booking of acts has diminished as well.

I knew it was going to be a disaster when they billed it as an amphitheater and when I took a peak the first time I went to Dreamland I saw it was just a massive, flat and rectangular concrete slab with a stage No effort to make a semi circle, or have some seating seating or even slope downward to a stage. Then they put a ton of money in the massive sloping metal roof, almost as if the high school drop out designer thought it was the roof sloping that made an amphitheater. Perfect example of how bad the whole project was redeveloped. I mean, they could not even get the name right - Centre of Tallahassee...for a development north of mid town.

I am happy that the site will get busy. I do like dreamland and urban food market so it will be great for them.

I knew it was going to be a disaster when they billed it as an amphitheater and when I took a peak the first time I went to Dreamland I saw it was just a massive, flat and rectangular concrete slab with a stage No effort to make a semi circle, or have some seating seating or even slope downward to a stage. Then they put a ton of money in the massive sloping metal roof, almost as if the high school drop out designer thought it was the roof sloping that made an amphitheater. Perfect example of how bad the whole project was redeveloped. I mean, they could not even get the name right - Centre of Tallahassee...for a development north of mid town.

I am happy that the site will get busy. I do like dreamland and urban food market so it will be great for them.

Can state workers afford the food there?

ADVERTISEMENT