ADVERTISEMENT

Tampa Bay fires Lovie

Wow, really? TB just demonstrated everything that is wrong with sports today. So, you bring Lovie Smith in for a year, and get Jameis Winston with the 1st overall pick. Smith and Winston take you from the worst team in the league to playoff contenders with just a couple weeks left in the season. You go from 1 win to 6 in just a year. Doug Martin finshes the year as one of the NFL's top RBs. Everything is looking bright moving forward, and you fire Lovie Smith??? I'm not a Bucs fans, but if I was I would be enraged with the absolute idiocy that was demonstrated by management today. TB will be back at the bottom of the barrel.

Thank God this kind of lunacy wasn't demonstrated with my Niners back in the day when Bill Walsh started coaching. He took a 2-14 49ers team in 1979 to 6-10 the following year with some rookie QB named Joe Montana. In 1981, the 49ers went 13-3, won the SB and began their dynasty. Not saying the Bucs were heading the same direction, but patience and time are apparently of no value anymore in sports. Absolutely pathetic.

Rant over.

As a lifelong Bucs fan who watches them all the time, I disagree. I'm not all that surprised by the move, and not particularly disappointed (admittedly, I was not a fan of hiring Lovie in the first place). Yes, they won 6 games this year vs 2 the prior year - but they did that against one of the weakest schedules the NFL has ever seen. Two of their division mates (Atlanta & New Orleans) were terrible this year. They played the four teams from the pathetic NFC East (won by Washington at 9-7), and they played the four teams from the pitiful AFC South (won by 9-7 Houston). Their other two games were against two more terrible teams, Chicago & St Louis. So they played a total of four teams with winning records (two of them rallying late in the year to get to 9-7). They were the most undisciplined, penalty-filled team in the league, by a long-shot. At no point during the season (or last season) would you have looked at them & thought, "boy, that's a well-coached team."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT