ADVERTISEMENT

Tampa Bay Rays moving to Ybor City

Noah Pransky again points out that there is no money for a stadium in Hillsborough County.

accurate appraisal best bet would be HF st pete side
They won’t build in St Pete. They’ll ride out the lease thru 2028 and move to Charlotte or Montreal. Hillsborough will likely come up with the money creatively and using taxes on tourism.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
Hillsborough is going to find the money. Buckhorn, Vinik and Tampa business leadership want it bad enough.

It doesnt matter if St. Pete has more money. They aren't going to stick around in Pinellas. Tampa is growing, has bigger business, bigger population closer to the stadium and better chance at sponsorship revenue. It's Tampa or they leave the state.

Reactions: fsUTampa
If public money or a new tax is required it will never fly in Tampa.
I tend to agree that the Rays will likely move by 2028 if no stadium has been built. It would seem if one follows the money it will stay in Pinellas at a better location.

Reactions: KitingHigh
Hillsborough is going to find the money. Buckhorn, Vinik and Tampa business leadership want it bad enough.

It doesnt matter if St. Pete has more money. They aren't going to stick around in Pinellas. Tampa is growing, has bigger business, bigger population closer to the stadium and better chance at sponsorship revenue. It's Tampa or they leave the state.

Buckhorn is done in 11 months and stated on the day of the Ybor site selection that the city has no money for this. City taxes have been raised to pay for Julian Lane park and 1990s spending on Centro Ybor and the police station. That tax increase will be imposed for between 4 and 8 years. The city doesn't have any money and a tax increase for a baseball billionaire isn't happening.

Vinik has his own deal which was recently renewed and he has a very good thing being built that will happen without baseball. Like any billionaire, he isn't taking money out of his pocket to improve the financial standing of another billionaire.

The roads and schools in Hillsborough county are both a disaster. This ybor stadium has very limited public support and that will evaporate in a nanosecond if people start making noise about it, which they will, and if there is a public campaign against it, which there will be.

Not to make this political, but according to an article in the paper this weekend, the status quo on the county commission is trying to make county offices nonpartisan because they can see the writing on the wall regarding the future trends in the county. They are already in a precarious position. They are not going to have much fortitude when the heat is turned up on them over their desires to enrich an out of town baseball billionaire.

Buckhorn is done in 11 months and stated on the day of the Ybor site selection that the city has no money for this. City taxes have been raised to pay for Julian Lane park and 1990s spending on Centro Ybor and the police station. That tax increase will be imposed for between 4 and 8 years. The city doesn't have any money and a tax increase for a baseball billionaire isn't happening.

Vinik has his own deal which was recently renewed and he has a very good thing being built that will happen without baseball. Like any billionaire, he isn't taking money out of his pocket to improve the financial standing of another billionaire.

The roads and schools in Hillsborough county are both a disaster. This ybor stadium has very limited public support and that will evaporate in a nanosecond if people start making noise about it, which they will, and if there is a public campaign against it, which there will be.

Not to make this political, but according to an article in the paper this weekend, the status quo on the county commission is trying to make county offices nonpartisan because they can see the writing on the wall regarding the future trends in the county. They are already in a precarious position. They are not going to have much fortitude when the heat is turned up on them over their desires to enrich an out of town baseball billionaire.
In line with your thinking and despite footballs popularity there were many Tampa residents outraged over the deal the Glazers got for their stadium.
Baseball does not have even close to the popularity of football in the area.

Not going to happen. Roads and drainage are far more important to the residents of Tampa.

Representatives from Key West, Tampa and Miami make their claim as the original home of the Cuban Sandwich

Update - this video is awful.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Representatives from Key West, Tampa and Miami make their claim as the original home of the Cuban Sandwich

Update - this video is awful.

As a long time Tampa resident I am certain Tampa has had a contest for the best Cuban sandwich since the early 70's perhaps even earlier. I moved to Tampa in 1967. The Miami and Key West versions may be more aligned with just Cuba but the Tampa Cuban is totally unique to Tampa. From the bread to the Salami and dill pickles and mustard/ mayo mix. The key issue is the bread and that is unique to Tampa. I am not sure if Pressed was the preferred sandwich, My preference has always been (unpressed) ham, salami, Cuban style pork, Swiss cheese, and dill pickles with a swath of mayo/mustard, Adding lettuce tomato or onion is a sacrilege.

I doubt seriously that pressed Cubans were made in the beginning.

Key west? They just started their contests in 2012! LOL I need to have a conversation with a dear friend who lived in KeyWest in the early 60's.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
As a long time Tampa resident I am certain Tampa has had a contest for the best Cuban sandwich since the early 70's perhaps even earlier. I moved to Tampa in 1967. The Miami and Key West versions may be more aligned with just Cuba but the Tampa Cuban is totally unique to Tampa. From the bread to the Salami and dill pickles and mustard/ mayo mix. The key issue is the bread and that is unique to Tampa. I am not sure if Pressed was the preferred sandwich, My preference has always been (unpressed) ham, salami, Cuban style pork, Swiss cheese, and dill pickles with a swath of mayo/mustard, Adding lettuce tomato or onion is a sacrilege.

I doubt seriously that pressed Cubans were made in the beginning.

Key west? They just started their contests in 2012! LOL I need to have a conversation with a dear friend who lived in KeyWest in the early 60's.

To originalists, the mood ami Cuban (Home of the first Cuban-style sandwich) will always be the best.

To originalists, the mood ami Cuban (Home of the first Cuban-style sandwich) will always be the best.
When did you first eat a Miami Cuban? How similar is it to the Key west version? Is it always pressed?

Reactions: billanole
I have never known a Cuban sandwich anywhere in South Florida to not be pressed. The choice isn't even offered. It's just any ham sub otherwise.

That is what I thought. Just another reason Tampa's is totally unique to the bay area. When I first started eating Cuban sandwiches they were never pressed. They are far different than a ham sandwich or sub. From the bread to the pork ,ham ,salami, Swiss cheese, and pickles the Tampa style Cuban is unique.

That is what I thought. Just another reason Tampa's is totally unique to the bay area. When I first started eating Cuban sandwiches they were never pressed. They are far different than a ham sandwich or sub. From the bread to the pork ,ham ,salami, Swiss cheese, and pickles the Tampa style Cuban is unique.
That doesn't make them unique. Makes them a Subway sanswich.

Sounds like you have been eating an Arby's sub. You should try an original cuban sandwich from Miami.

delish-arbys-cuban-sandwich-1521645321.jpg

That doesn't make them unique. Makes them a Subway sanswich.

Nope Wrong bread and the pork is not Cuban style that is pulled.

Ate at Subway once many years ago. Yukka sheet garbage...

That you would compare that to an authentic style Tampa Cuban shows that you probably eat and love Chicken hot dogs.;) Subway is just a fast food crap. Arbys is slightly better but the fact that they choose the Miami style Cuban says it all... So easy to knock off a Miami or Key west Cuban apparently. lol

So we are in agreement for the following:

1. The Cuban sandwich of Miami and Key West is the most like what came from Cuba.

2. The Tampa Cuban is unique to the Tampa Bay area and unlike Miami and Key West

3. Arby's easily knocked off a copy of the Miami/Key West version

Which is better is totally the opinion of the eater.

I'm only a fan of Arby's Chicken Salad Sandwich, actually.
And for some reason known only to my mixed up taste buds, I'm also a fan of their Jamoca shakes. Maybe twice a year...o_O
Please tell me more about a Jamoca shake. I've never had that experience.

For all the people who say “the tax payers won’t pay for it”. Give me 3 examples where that has thwarted an approval of of a stadium and I’ll give you 20 examples of where one has been approved despite opposition.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Rays days in Tampa Bay are numbered. Not sure who’s to blame here. Sternberg has been notoriously cheap in my opinion as an owner and originally floated the idea that the team would only contribute $150M of the $892M the stadium would cost. He backtracked slightly on that but never gave a firm number. The city and county basically came to them with a proposal that would allow them to split it 50:50 using some creative financing options. Sounds like the Rays and MLB felt like there were a lot of holes in the financing plan and thus have pulled this off the table. At this point I’d be surprised if they give the idea of staying here anything more than lip service before the lease at the Trop is up in 2027. Sternberg has probably quadrupled his money owning the team, I wish he would just sell it.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/...d-remain-committed-to-tampa-bay-area-for-now/

Pinellas/Hillsborough ain’t coming up with anything close to that amount.
Stenberg should take the 50/50 and it will be like winning the Lotto.
If it were me I’d just keep playing at the Trop. It’s not like they’re going to draw that many more fans at the new location.
I know I’m in the minority but I love the Trop.

Pinellas/Hillsborough ain’t coming up with anything close to that amount.
Stenberg should take the 50/50 and it will be like winning the Lotto.
If it were me I’d just keep playing at the Trop. It’s not like they’re going to draw that many more fans at the new location.
I know I’m in the minority but I love the Trop.
They’ll leave the area and prob get nearly the entire stadium paid for by some poor tax payers.

It’s not like they’re going to draw that many more fans at the new location

How can you say that? The downtown Tampa area has 4x the amount of residents than the current Trop location within a 30-min drive. And the Lightning consistently sell-out a 20,000+ arena for hockey in Florida.

How can you say that? The downtown Tampa area has 4x the amount of residents than the current Trop location within a 30-min drive. And the Lightning consistently sell-out a 20,000+ arena for hockey in Florida.
And Miami has twice that number around where the Marlins play. They really pack ‘em in there don’t they.
They’ll do well when the Yankees and Boston come to town. And the rare occasion they get the Cubs, Dodgers etc. The transplants will pack the place.
Moving them 60 minutes or so north isn’t going to magically create thousands of season ticket holders.
But I wish them luck. I would hate to see them go.

Downtown Tampa is within a 30 minute drive from the trop.

And Miami has twice that number around where the Marlins play. They really pack ‘em in there don’t they.
They’ll do well when the Yankees and Boston come to town. And the rare occasion they get the Cubs, Dodgers etc. The transplants will pack the place.
Moving them 60 minutes or so north isn’t going to magically create thousands of season ticket holders.
The Marlins have been plagued by horrible ownership that has poisoned the fan base. Rays would draw well in DT Tampa. 30k on a weekday, no, but way more than the 10k they currently get on most weekdays. I’d be semi surprised if another viable location presents itself in the next few years, at which point they’ll start flirting with Montreal, Portland, Charlotte, etc.

Tampa isn't Miami (as much as some of the city leaders want to try and make it be...). Yes it's a transplant area, but again...why does the Lightning draw so well? It has a great ownership group (amazing right now to see the difference between Vinik and Sternberg) but also has the numbers to pull from.

Reactions: BraveSeminole10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT