ADVERTISEMENT

Tampa Bay Rays moving to Ybor City

My guess is that the value will improve. If nothing else, you'll have an additional15K sets of eyes viewing the area each game day.

Holy carp! Look out for the traffic jams from the planes of hell if the Lightning and Rays ever are scheduled at the same time.

I wouldn't hold your breath. There's a good chance this won't actually happen and they move to Canada.

This....there is no money for a stadium in Hillsborough. Pinellas has money and is willing and Rays don't seem interested. Will have to wait until Hillsborough plays out to see if they will take Pinelllas money.

Reactions: KitingHigh
Lordy, times have certainly changed. Granted, I haven't lived there in damn near 50 years, but I can remember that people simply didn't go into the environs of Ybor City for safety reasons. There was a hole in the wall rib place called the Blue Flame that had the best Q I ever ate, but that was it.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
They’ll likely figure out a way to get it done and the Rays will contribute much more than $150M to it.

There is no money for this in Hillsborough. We have schools without functioning air conditioning and scheduled teachers bonuses were canceled. Our roads are a shambles. I could go on. No way this goes anywhere when the fight goes public.

The money is in Pinellas. Ultimately that is where they will remain because this is somewhere around the 10-15th sized tv markets and MLB isn't going to abandon such a large market for something much smaller.

There is no money for this in Hillsborough. We have schools without functioning air conditioning and scheduled teachers bonuses were canceled. Our roads are a shambles. I could go on. No way this goes anywhere when the fight goes public.

The money is in Pinellas. Ultimately that is where they will remain because this is somewhere around the 10-15th sized tv markets and MLB isn't going to abandon such a large market for something much smaller.
So you think they haven’t begun looking into the feasibility of this and just blindly announced the Ybor site? It would likely end up being some sort of tourism tax. I think they’ll move to Charlotte before they build in St Pete.

They should import real Cuban sandwiches from Miami to serve at the new ballpark.

Heresy!:mad:

Tampa has always been the home of the real Cuban sandwich

baked Ham, hard salami, Cuban style shredded pork, Swiss cheese,dill pickles with a slight touch of mustard/ mayo on Cuban bread with a palmetto leaf causing the bread to split. Now some demand they be pressed I tend to prefer them unpressed.

Agree/disagree OX Unless it is totally funded by something other than taxes it will never fly in Tampa.

The real possibility that will never happen is to kick out the Yankees and build a refurbished Baseball stadium at the current Yankee facility.

The access to and from the Tampa stadium area is the perfect location. Ybor and Downtown not that good.. Possible right off of Howard Franklin St Pete side might work. All about traffic flow and accessibility.

Apparently the plan is to purge the organization of all major league level talent. That way they'll only need to build a stadium that will seat about 750 fans (and even then they'll have to run some great promotional events to fill it).

Apparently the plan is to purge the organization of all major league level talent. That way they'll only need to build a stadium that will seat about 750 fans (and even then they'll have to run some great promotional events to fill it).

This is becoming a real-life Major League

Heresy!:mad:

Tampa has always been the home of the real Cuban sandwich

baked Ham, hard salami, Cuban style shredded pork, Swiss cheese,dill pickles with a slight touch of mustard/ mayo on Cuban bread with a palmetto leaf causing the bread to split. Now some demand they be pressed I tend to prefer them unpressed.
A true Cuban would not incorporate a European meat in salami. It's like saying you can get real smoked ribs at Ruby Tuesdays.

What does having a stadium so close to a residence do to property values? I can see both good and bad.
Seems to be a decent location, downtown is good and being right off the Expressway provides easy access from Bayshore/Pinellas to the west and Brandon/I-75 east.

Local folks know better but I recall the site area as being transitional with an ambience (and sometime smell) of shipping and industrial activities, there has been a history of land use disputes over encroachment of residential uses near the port area so I'm not too sympathetic about newbies.

The thing that catches my eye is the 14-acre site which seems really small. What are they going to do - build parking garages? I mean a shopping center with a publix needs at least 14-acres.

Not to forget, the place will flood in a storm surge event so it's a lost opportunity for emergency sheltering.

But it's a step forward good luck to them!

tampa_site_10.png

What does having a stadium so close to a residence do to property values? I can see both good and bad.
Seems like it would depend on if the neighborhood's lifestyle matched up with the events and people coming in for the events.

Ybor seems like a good place to drink beer and eat hot dogs, so a baseball stadium probably fits well. Would be kind of like Wrigleyville or LoDo in Denver. The people buying there are probably already looking to be close to drinking, etc. Also the people going to baseball games aren't going to be tearing up the neighborhood.

Contrast that with how property values in South Florida plummeted not long after Hurricanes fans had to travel across county lines when they moves to Joe Robbie Stadium.

Games against Yankees will be played at Legends Field in front of Yanks fans, while Rays season ticket holders can watch the closed circuit feed from the 750 seat home field.

Reactions: hatsbo and SeaPA
It’s a great place to build and the most logical. Pinellas can’t support the Rays like Tampa can. It’s either Ybor or they move to Charlotte/Nashville. They don’t want to stay in St. Pete.

They likely draw 5k more a night during the week and 7-10k more on weekends in Tampa plus they will have more success selling corporate suites and season tickets.

A true Cuban would not incorporate a European meat in salami. It's like saying you can get real smoked ribs at Ruby Tuesdays.

Poor analogy--- Cuban Bread in Tampa is totally unique to the area and not like the Miami knock off...lol

Why Not? All Cubans came from Southern Europe... Spain or Italy
Home of the best pork products on the planet!
Not sure but I do believe Cubans settled in Tampa long before they began their huge migration to Miami when Castro took over.

Poor analogy--- Cuban Bread in Tampa is totally unique to the area and not like the Miami knock off...lol

Why Not? All Cubans came from Southern Europe... Spain or Italy
Home of the best pork products on the planet!
Not sure but I do believe Cubans settled in Tampa long before they began their huge migration to Miami when Castro took over.

I’m pretty sure that quite a few members of the population were brought over from a continent further south.

It’s a great place to build and the most logical. Pinellas can’t support the Rays like Tampa can. It’s either Ybor or they move to Charlotte/Nashville. They don’t want to stay in St. Pete.

They likely draw 5k more a night during the week and 7-10k more on weekends in Tampa plus they will have more success selling corporate suites and season tickets.
Dream on. They will get a little surge at first and then level right back off at roughly the same attendance with maybe a tiny increase. Plus they'll lose half of their current fans.

That is asking this actually happens, which it very well may not.

Not really the right time to drum up funding support either having traded away half the team this offseason. Souza just got sent to Arizona I believe. Ol K-Meyer is not a happy camper.

Not really the right time to drum up funding support either having traded away half the team this offseason. Souza just got sent to Arizona I believe. Ol K-Meyer is not a happy camper.

He, Archer & Colome just need to bide their time & stay healthy; they'll all get traded to a contender in a couple months.

My Rangers would take Archer in a heartbeat. Not sure we have much to trade though, at least above High A ball.

That might do the trick, the Rays are aiming to field a very strong Double A team this season. Unfortunately, that AA powerhouse will be playing in the AL East.

Dream on. They will get a little surge at first and then level right back off at roughly the same attendance with maybe a tiny increase. Plus they'll lose half of their current fans.

That is asking this actually happens, which it very well may not.
Based on what? You realize how poor St Pete is as a geographic location? It's surrounded by water. Downtown Tampa is within a 30min drive of much more of the population including the Wesley Chapel/New Tampa areas that are exploding in population. And it's no further for Clearwater or Northern Pinellas residents either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT