ADVERTISEMENT

Tampa Bay's Huge mistake in the Draft

Cook would have assured TB of a division title
Atlanta is the defending NFC champ and 3-0 right now. Case Keenum just smoked the Bucs again. Cook wouldn't be covering WR on defense so nothing would have changed that outcome

I love cook but RBs are a dime a dozen if you want to spend a 1-3 rd pick or 6-7 mill a year in free agency. TEs who can block and catch are very rare. Once Martin comes back the Bucs RB situation greatly enhances.

Reactions: RedWolfe11
So far OJ has not made one play that I said, OK this guy has it, Cook so far has made like 10 of those.

Clearly we are early on, but early data points to this being a big mistake.

As far as the RB on suspension, well have you head of trade for a 5th rounder, I have
Once again, its not about how many "ooh" plays cook makes.
Who cares, there are at least 5 other rb's who have done the same from this years draft, and thats true most years.
Its about how hard is it to find a 1st rd. TE vs yet another 1st round RB.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that unless you are banking on winning it all this year (and the head coach has said repeatedly they are not), you take the position thats harder to get. There will be another cook in the next two drafts . . . in fact maybe 10 of them. There likely wont be a top level tight end in the next class, maybe 2 of them in the next 3 years, and likely neither as good as howard.

keep comparing apples and oranges with tight ends and RBs and itll just be foolish.

Dalvin would have been a better impact pick but OJ was a great pick at that spot. TE's typically take longer to develop but Howard has the tools to be elite, and elite TE's are harder to come by than RB's. Both have the potential to be among the top guys at their position in the next few years, and DC's have scheme around elite TE's every bit as much as they do elite RB's.

Where the Bucs clearly went wrong was not moving up in round 2 to grab Cook. Even if it took a 3rd round pick to move up, and it likely could have been done for a 4th or 5th, I'd be shocked to see Justin Evans, Chris Godwin or any of the guys they drafted after the second round have anything close to the career that Dalvin will. The off season was clearly about adding weapons for Jameis, signing Desean Jackson, drafting Howard in the first, then Godwin in the 3rd. I'm not entirely sure why they didn't go ahead and round out the offensive skill guys when a gift was there for the taking. They'd have been in good position skill wise for years to come. They've proven they don't know what to do in round 2 in recent years for sure.

Great point

Atlanta is the defending NFC champ and 3-0 right now. Case Keenum just smoked the Bucs again. Cook wouldn't be covering WR on defense so nothing would have changed that outcome

I love cook but RBs are a dime a dozen if you want to spend a 1-3 rd pick or 6-7 mill a year in free agency. TEs who can block and catch are very rare. Once Martin comes back the Bucs RB situation greatly enhances.

What he said.

You want to criticize a pick, how about Hargreaves last year?

Simply put, super bowl winners don't draft running backs in the first round any more.

Or kickers in the second.

What he said.

You want to criticize a pick, how about Hargreaves last year?
This is the pick nobody discusses. Picking top 10 You should pick an elite athlete with a good resumes and a high ceiling. Haregreaves was good at uf but will never become a top CB in the NFL. He is small which is not the end of the world, but he is also not explosive. Big reach IMO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT