ADVERTISEMENT

Torn meniscus

Spearhead04

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Anyone had this? If so, did you do therapy or surgery and did you fully recover?

Anyone had this? If so, did you do therapy or surgery and did you fully recover?
I feel for you Spearhead04, torn meniscus hurts like heck.

At age 50 I had minor surgery to clip a torn edge incurred while playing softball which was successful although the doctor noted arthritic conditions were present and may have contributed. Sure enough as the years went by I developed bone-on-bone pain to where at 60 I had double knee replacement which gave me my life back, Dr. Wong at TOC was a miracle worker.

Last edited:
Depends on the size and shape of the tear. Minor tears are generally pretty easy to come back from. More complex ones can be different. Don’t know your situation, but if you are active and under age 60, I would definitely get it fixed.

Reactions: Spearhead04
Im turning 40 next month. I’m very active both at work and personal. I go for an MRI this morning. I tweaked it playing soccer with my son. A week later and pain still there I took a trip to the ortho. He did some maneuver and I about jumped out of the chair. He said that’s generally a positive indicator. Today’s MRI will confirm. Do you guys know a top notch surgeon in south Florida by chance? I’m probably going to get a second opinion before making the decision if it is in fact torn.
Dr. Martin Roche at Holy Cross hospital in Ft Lauderdale. You can google him. His partner, who is long retired did my total knees 15 years ago. Gave my life back. Roche has since replaced knees for several friends and my sister n law. All amazing results. Total knees is all he does. His other partners do other parts of the body.

Reactions: squiffynole
I had what they call a bucket handle tear. Didn't really hurt that much, but I would lose strength and my knee clicked when I walked.

Had the surgery, was down for about a week. Two trips to rehab and I was good to go.

Bucket-Handle-meniscus-tear.jpg

Both of mine were torn. I had the left knee scoped back in 2013 and it's worse now than before. I'm not even remotely considering have the right one done. It's the main reason I've scaled back from on filed officiating football. Going on 8 years since I've had the procedure and with old man "ARHTURitis" set in pretty good it's just something I've learned to live with. Bone on Bone is annoying as hell at times and to top it off bone spurs underneath the knee cap has my knee sounding like a ratchet wrench when I extend my leg back and forth. Many have had positive results so don't let my story deter you if you need it addressed. Dr. Jason Oberste (from T.O.C.) performed mine and he's an excellent surgeon. He's put a lot of guys back together especially soldiers fighting in the Middle East.

Last edited:
I feel for you Spearhead04, torn meniscus hurts like heck.

At age 50 I had minor surgery to clip a torn edge incurred while playing softball which was successful although the doctor noted arthritic conditions were present and may have contributed. Sure enough as the years went by I developed bone-on-bone pain to where at 60 I had double knee replacement which gave me my life back, Dr. Wong at TOC was a miracle worker.
Dr. Wong is another awesome surgeon. He saw me when I broke my big toe.(split the bone straight down the middle). It didn't require surgery but he made sure I was good to go.

I tore mine a while back and had surgery to repair it and haven't had any problems since! Therapy was a bit rough initially and the biggest problem was getting the flexibility back. Other than that, I have had no complaints and would recommend it. Especially if you are physically active, as I was when I tore mine.

I had the surgery on my right knee back In '91 or so after being put under. Took all of a half hour and was released within another hour. I was back at work three days later. It still throbs a little when a low pressure front comes through.

Factors like age, size, location, and previous activity level will come into play whether conservative tx, meniscal repair, or partial removal are recommended.

I currently have a torn meniscus. I'm trying not to have surgery. I had an ACL reconstruction on the same knee three years ago. Just not interested in having surgery again, so I deal with the pain.

Good luck if you do have surgery!

I had the surgery on my left knee a couple months ago. It was from an old pick up basketball injury. Found out the knee was pretty jacked up. There was some crystalization in the joint that kept me from fully extending and bending the leg. Did a few weeks of PT to get that range of motion back. The knee feels a lot better than before but I definitely should have done it years ago. I'll see if I can go 10 years before the inevitable knee replacement.

Coming off meniscus repair. I'm at 10 weeks. I was told about 6 weeks to recoup. No therapy just follow (a) through (c)

I suffered my first one in college along with some minor ACL/MCL damage. Thru the years I have undergone 8 knee surgeries with the last 2 being replacements. For the last 20+years I have used the Andrews Clinic in Gulf Breeze. Was actually there when RG111 was going through his rehab after his total knee rebuild. The 2 Drs I have been a patient of both recommend if it is minor tears to do rehab and avoid surgery if at all possible. Standard practice forever has been surgery for even minor tears but the trend is moving away from surgery. Reviewing my history they both felt with my initial injury(left knee) surgery was the right call as I was only 18 and still playing college ball. I tore my meniscus in my right knee playing softball in my 30s and even though it was considered a minor tear surgery was done. I had no issues recovering and for years it was fine. Then it started going south with bone on bone and 4 more surgeries including the replacement Both Drs feel I probably would have avoided replacement if the injury had been treated with PT and strengthening exercises.

I have had 9 surgeries between the two knees. The most involved was cutting the iliotibial band and routing it through the knee replacing the ACL. ACL surgery on both knees as well as meniscus repairs. I have found that Incrediwear knee sleeves give me a lot of needed support and comfort. I wear them when I am out working on our property and they really help with the instability in my knees.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT