ADVERTISEMENT

Updates and interviews following Tuesday practice (Norvell, Thomsen, McDonald)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
What's up, folks?
We're scheduled to get Mike Norvell and a few select players - maybe an assistant coach as well? - after Tuesday's practice.
Norvell is supposed to start around 6:15 and then the rest will follow.

Thanks for being here!
See you in a few.

Ok, We'll start with Norvell of course. He was running a little late.

"We're continuing to push situational football ... I thought it was a solid day, had some swings back and forth offensively and defensively, which is kind of what you want to see." Says they're still working on the mindset if things dont go their way. "I thought there was a good response toward the end of practice ... guys were competing, and we've got to continue to push to maximize what we have ... have a lot of growth that still needs to take place. ... I think it's been positive."

On Brendan Gant: "This last year was a real challenge. Obviously our safety depth was really limited ... he missed majority of summer training ... he was playing with no training, lost a lot of body weight ... he plays extremely hard and is starting to gain more and more confidence. He's a totally different person now." Said his body weight is around 205 right now, last year he played in low 180s. ... "I love his energy and he's continuing to grow. .... He definitely has the talent and I'm excited about his continued growth."

On Brownlee and the CB competition: "Jarvis is a talented young man. He's probably one of the more athletic guys we have on our football team ... I really like the steps I've seen from him as well. ... I thought he got better, he's a guy, whether it was good or bad he responded in a really good way ... there's a lot of competition, especially in the defensive backfield ... Jarvis is pushing but he's also getting pushed."

On Bam Moore: "He's looked really good ... the newcomers in the defensive backfield have all really shown well. ... We've been able to look at Bam a little bit at safety as well and he's done a really good job there in a short period of time. .... He's excited to be back on the field and has made some really good tackles the first couple of days." Said he hasn't seemed slowed at all physically.

On TEs: "Cam has truly embraced that role and the versatility we ask that position to do. ... He's a natural pass receiver. ... I really like the development I'm seeing from that group of tight ends ... Jackson West today had a really good day ... he's going to really fit in the mold of what we're looking for." Says Rector is over 240 pounds now. ... Says Jordan Wilson is not doing anything in team situations, but he's excited about him as well.

On McRae: Said he thought had a good practice on Thursday, will have to see how he did on film today. Says he's a talented man, "But we challenged him after the season and what we expected to see from him in the offseason program. And he responded really well. .... All those guys are competing and fighting to find their role."

On Milton learning offense: "We're definitely going to help him learn the offense. ... I think he's done a really nice job in the time he's put in. ... I'm excited about what I've seen. The thing that's shown up, his movements, I have no concern. He's been able to extend plays, he's moving in the pocket, out of the pocket, and he's been extremely accurate when the play does break down ... it won't be a finished product after 15 practices ... I think you have seen the strides that Jordan Travis has made as a passer ... I think it's night and day from when we first got here. ... I'm excited about what we're seeing."

On WRs: "It's been good to see these guys try to challenge themselves." Says Kentron had a nice day and Malik McClain "had another big play today. ... he doesn't look like a freshman out there. ... I'm really excited about his growth ... and I think Keyshawn, this offseason was big for him, the recovery, coming off the knee, he was in a brace, now he's out of the brace, ... he made a couple of big plays today."

On morning practices: "In the fall, it provides a great opportunity to start your day together as a team. ... I think it's really helped us throughout the course of my coaching career. ... Being able to impact guys and forcing them to get on a pattern, to go to sleep at night ... and plus it allows everyone to be in the same place. .. A lot of my experience with afternoon practices ... guys are rushing to get to different places .... it's so choppy. I like, in the fall, being able to start our day together and then when 11:30 hits it's all academics for the rest of the day." Says he likes practicing later in the spring normally because it allows HS coaches and HS recruits to come watch practice.

On Sydney Williams: "The offseason was huge for him. ... The thing that's really been pleasing is his physicality. He's a big defensive back, has good change of direction, runs well, and has found a way to get himself to the ball ... he brings the right mindset and the right approach. ... The experience he got towards the back half of the year was so big ... he's been one of the top performers here early in spring ball."

That's a wrap on Norvell. Whole lot of DB talk!
Chris Thomsen is up next.

On TE competition: "They've all positioned themselves to compete and be in a position to play ... their change in their bodes from the end of the regular season to the start of spring ball has been remarkable .... the competition is the key word, we don't want guys getting complacent."

On McDonald: "I think getting a chance to be a full time starter last year was huge. .. I think there's only so much football you can learn in practice ... you have to be out there and feel ... I saw a lot of growth in him as a route runner, as a blocker, all the things you look for ... after the season he went from low 230s to low 240s, he's playing in the 242-243 range ... he's a matchup problem, he's put on so much mass ... i think the sky is the limit for him. ... There are still some things in inline blocking that he's learning ... he's really stepped up."

On Jackson West: "He's adapted really well. He's not the guy you have to push into being physical. ... The first couple of padded practices ... he takes the fight to the other guy. He's not a guy that waits around. ...He put on 10, 12 pounds since the time he got here ... he's a very determined guy. He wants to make an impact early."

"He's one of the few guys on a high school tape, there was a different level of aggression, a different level of just going after people and trying to finish ... everything I've seen from him so far there's no backing down, it doesn't matter who we put in front of him. ... He's learning and so far everything I've seen from him I'm real pleased with."

"I definitely think the guys have a clear understanding of how we want to practice ... we just want a culture of competitiveness and physicality. And through the first couple of padded practices that's what I've seen. ... We want to be a team that we know we've invested the work in being physical ... I definitely feel that. ... We're still evolving that process. Spring ball is a great way to do that."

On Markeston Douglas: "You talk about a big man. Really, really big. Long guy that's athletic. ... I've been pleased with him, trying to work him in with the other guys. He hasn't gotten a ton of reps. ... I think he's another guy that we're very excited about that has a high ceiling."

That's a wrap for Thomsen.
Camm McDonald is the first player up.

"I feel a lot stronger at the point of attack. I feel heavier ... and I'm in love with the development I've seen from myself so far."

"My own dad told me he saw a video of me the other that I look a little more burly ... my body has changed a lot since high school, and I've just got to credit to the Florida State strength staff."

"We get so many meals provided to us through the day it's hard to stay stagnant in your weight gain."

"It's the competitive energy at practice. .... Guys are competing at the highest level ... there's a burning desire to win and compete at the highest level ... i really truly believe that the burning desire to win is there."

On Jackson West: "He doesn't conduct himself like a freshman. ... he's just overall a complete guy, especially for a freshman."

On the TE depth: "I think the TE room is about to progress ... we still have all the same guys and we added more talent. It's just a deep room. ...it's a room full of work men .. they put on their hard hat and we do what we're asked to do."

"The point of attack, how much we emphasize the point of attack ... it started in the weight room. ... I actually have the TE measurables now ... we still have the rest of spring and fall camp."

That's a wrap on McDonald.
And that's a wrap on the interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News