ADVERTISEMENT

Vaccine mandates for student athletes

This is terribly unfortunate. In effort to keep this from turning into another pro/anti vaccine post, these kids should have a choice what they put in their body.

I would hate to lose a player for a game or lose a game based on players being unavailable, however in the bigger picture I am fine with it as long as these players are able to make the best medical choices for themselves.

This country needs to remain about freedom of choices

A boots on the ground report. Hawaii takes Covid very seriously. From the time you arrive when you show your QR code proving a negative test or your vaccination, Hawaii enforces restrictions. Masking and social distancing are a must out there.

That said, it’s very safe and even in the current surge they have overall very low infection rates.

Oh, and it’s picture postcard perfect.

This is terribly unfortunate. In effort to keep this from turning into another pro/anti vaccine post, these kids should have a choice what they put in their body.

I would hate to lose a player for a game or lose a game based on players being unavailable, however in the bigger picture I am fine with it as long as these players are able to make the best medical choices for themselves.

Vaccine mandates for college students have been employed for decades. It's not a big deal. At the university my son attends there is a MMR mandate. Many universities up in the northeast now have Covid vaccination mandates along with the MMR. While personally, I don't like mandates, its not like we don't have a history of them in this country. Given the current situation, I think it is acceptable.

Vaccine mandates for college students have been employed for decades. It's not a big deal. At the university my son attends there is a MMR mandate. Many universities up in the northeast now have Covid vaccination mandates along with the MMR. While personally, I don't like mandates, its not like we don't have a history of them in this country. Given the current situation, I think it is acceptable.
I understand where you are coming from here but this is different. The vaccines they require have a long history of use and data on their long term safety.

Forcing a young player with their entire life ahead of them to take a vaccine with no data on it's long term effects is completely different.

These players should have a right to take the vaccine and everyone should support their right to choose regardless of their own personal choice.

I really don’t understand how any vaccination mandates are legal.
Jacobson vs Massachusetts

Facts of the case​

A Massachusetts law allowed cities to require residents to be vaccinated against smallpox. Cambridge adopted such an ordinance, with some exceptions. Jacobson refused to comply with the requirement and was fined five dollars.

Question​

Did the mandatory vaccination law violate Jacobson's Fourteenth Amendment right to liberty?

Conclusion​

The Court held that the law was a legitimate exercise of the state's police power to protect the public health and safety of its citizens. Local boards of health determined when mandatory vaccinations were needed, thus making the requirement neither unreasonable nor arbitrarily imposed.

Not debating it but choice is still part of the equation. The choices are now impacted by COVID. So its play with the vaccine, or don’t play. I understand you don’t like that but it is a mischaracterization to say they don't have a choice on the vaccine. What they lost was the option to play without the vaccine.

No one is “forcing” anyone to take a vaccine. It’s a choice. The choice is between getting the vaccine and having access to additional privileges, or not.

No one is being imprisoned, restrained or persecuted over their refusal to get vaccinated and contribute to the health of their society. The absolute lack of comprehension regarding the concept of “freedom of choice” of some folks is astounding.

I'm not a fan of the vaccine or the covid mandates (for a variety of reasons) but how is this different from a measles shot or any other mandated vaccine? This isn't new in schools or of the general public. Unfortunately this is going to become the norm and required for you to do anything that involves leaving your house.

No one is “forcing” anyone to take a vaccine. It’s a choice. The choice is between getting the vaccine and having access to additional privileges, or not.

No one is being imprisoned, restrained or persecuted over their refusal to get vaccinated and contribute to the health of their society. The absolute lack of comprehension regarding the concept of “freedom of choice” of some folks is astounding.
This exactly…. Every one of these players has a choice to get the vaccine or not, and if they choose not to then they cannot play football for UH. And it’s UHs choice to mandate the vaccine for its organization or not. Every student and student athlete has a choice whether they want to comply to attend the school or not. It’s the same as whether college players should be paid for play as if they are being forced against their will to play college football for a scholarship only. Fact is every colllege athlete has a choice to play football in exchange for a scholarship, room, board, books and meals. If they don’t like the terms they can choose to attend the university like the rest of us or do something different altogether Many times we confuse not liking something with not having choices when in reality a lot times it’s that the alternative isn’t a whole lot better. It’s called life folks.

Last edited:
That’s funny, why are people that have been vaccinated also coming down with COVID again? Seems to me your just spouting your ideology talking points.
Math isn't your strong suit? The risk of getting infected with Covid, even the Delta, is at least 80% decreased with vaccination. And hospitalization/death risk is decreased by over 95%. That's data, not ideology.....

Those athletes need to all get together and sit out games and practices until they lift that rule. Hit them in their pockets if you want to be respected as an American with freedom of your body.
Nobody's stopping them from sitting out. They have the freedom to do so. I wish the anti-vax players would sit out so we wouldn't have to worry about the rest of the players.

Vaccine or loose scholarship. That is there choice. Staff and school has no right to sacrifice others for ignorance of a few.

I understand where you are coming from here but this is different. The vaccines they require have a long history of use and data on their long term safety.

Forcing a young player with their entire life ahead of them to take a vaccine with no data on it's long term effects is completely different.

These players should have a right to take the vaccine and everyone should support their right to choose regardless of their own personal choice.
Whenever a vaccine is introduced to the population there is no long term data. It was the same for polio, measles, etc. No vaccine is 100% safe. There has always been vaccine injured. So, either you develop the capability to understand statistics/risk or you depend on experts to explain it to you. Saying there is no long term data is a cop out in my opinion. But, I fully support folks who don't want to be vaccinated for whatever reason. Just don't expect to be able to do everything you think you should do in a pandemic with a vaccine readily available.

Vaccine or loose scholarship. That is there choice. Staff and school has no right to sacrifice others for ignorance of a few.
Unvaccinated players would remain on scholarship and be allowed to practice.

The unvaccinated has caused the Covid
Well given only 31% of African Americans in this country are vaxed, that’s a large group of people to call ignorant no?

I'm not a fan of the vaccine or the covid mandates (for a variety of reasons) but how is this different from a measles shot or any other mandated vaccine? This isn't new in schools or of the general public. Unfortunately this is going to become the norm and required for you to do anything that involves leaving your house.
It is different from getting a measles shot I there is no long term data as to the impact of taking the vaccine. This was approved crossing a much lower threshold of proof for approval.

Additionally the measles can and will effect anyone across all age demographics. Covid has proven to only attack the elderly and those with existing conditions. The number of deaths among the non elderly falls in line with similar fatality rates with everyday activities society deems safe.

Leaving this as a choice allows for those who are vulnerable to become vaccinated and be safe while allowing those who are not vulnerable to make a health decision as whether or not to take this vaccine which lacks any long term data to protect from a virus which poses no threat to them.

As for discussing spreading the virus, essentially 99% if the patients hospitalized for Covid are unvaccinated proving that those who choose to get the vaccine are not put at risk by those who are not vaccinated.

This becomes a choice like eating fattening foods and becoming overweight then. Anyone who chooses to eat poorly and allow themselves to become overweight is making a conseous decision to continue with that lifestyle weighing the risk they may become seriously ill.

It is different from getting a measles shot I there is no long term data as to the impact of taking the vaccine. This was approved crossing a much lower threshold of proof for approval.

Additionally the measles can and will effect anyone across all age demographics. Covid has proven to only attack the elderly and those with existing conditions. The number of deaths among the non elderly falls in line with similar fatality rates with everyday activities society deems safe.

Leaving this as a choice allows for those who are vulnerable to become vaccinated and be safe while allowing those who are not vulnerable to make a health decision as whether or not to take this vaccine which lacks any long term data to protect from a virus which poses no threat to them.

As for discussing spreading the virus, essentially 99% if the patients hospitalized for Covid are unvaccinated proving that those who choose to get the vaccine are not put at risk by those who are not vaccinated.

This becomes a choice like eating fattening foods and becoming overweight then. Anyone who chooses to eat poorly and allow themselves to become overweight is making a conseous decision to continue with that lifestyle weighing the risk they may become seriously ill.
It's still not approved fully, it was giving "emergency approval"

Math isn't your strong suit? The risk of getting infected with Covid, even the Delta, is at least 80% decreased with vaccination. And hospitalization/death risk is decreased by over 95%. That's data, not ideology.....
You are correct. This further process the unvaccinated are not a risk to the safety of the vaccinated.

Reactions: ed42222 and FSU1096

ALL vaccines start out with very little to no history of side affects. That's how it works with vaccines. No one is forcing anyone to take the vaccine. I can understand any athletic department that wants to require either the vaccine OR getting tested for natural antibodies, and if you have those, you don't need the vaccine.

It just doesn't seem that big of a deal. Growing up an Air Force brat, we got all the "normal" vaccinations that all American kids got back in the 50s and 60s, but we also got a boat load of others every time dad was stationed overseas. I never even thought twice about it.

Not sure where you live……. But in FL we can leave our house and go about our business as normal with no vax or vax card. So it wont become the norm in FL or any other state that has people with common sense running it. I already recovered from covid, so I should have enough long term immunity, and should only have about a 20% chance of catching it again…. Thats the same percentage as the vax. Funny to see how many on here are bad mouthing people when they really really have know knowledge on why people choose against it.

Proof of vaccinations have been a requirement for public schools and colleges for a long time.
And, I remember taking numerous vaccines in the military as well.
Vaccination requirements aren’t a new thing…….

That’s funny, why are people that have been vaccinated also coming down with COVID again? Seems to me your just spouting your ideology talking points.
You still can get the flu with flu shots…. It’s severity not whether you can get it or not. I take it you’re not in medicine

Kids really don’t know what’s best for them. Best to let the adults make decisions for them*

Not sure where you live……. But in FL we can leave our house and go about our business as normal with no vax or vax card. So it wont become the norm in FL or any other state that has people with common sense running it. I already recovered from covid, so I should have enough long term immunity, and should only have about a 20% chance of catching it again…. Thats the same percentage as the vax. Funny to see how many on here are bad mouthing people when they really really have know knowledge on why people choose against it.
Not bad mouthing anyone. I don't agree with the premise behind the vaccine or the masks either. What I'm saying is that this vaccine is going to become the norm for everyone. This is only the beginning. NYC already doing vaccine passports, were wearing masks again in many areas and businesses even the vaccinated. Federal, state and local government employees will be forced to get the shot along with hospital, school and first responders or not work. You'll have to have a vaccine to travel even domestically. Already plans to require international travelers vaccines to enter the US. If you truly believe in 1 year that you'll be able to go on about your business without the vaccine as you did before then I hope your right. However, that probably not the case. Again I don't agree with any of this but its where we are headed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT