ADVERTISEMENT

WARCHANT Bourbon Thread

i've had my eye on a bottle of single barrel for a couple weeks, may just have to pull the trigger.

Here’s the thing. There’s the regular 100 proof single barrel, then there are 10 other recipes. ;)

Four Roses uses two different mashbills.
B (35% Rye) & E (20% Rye)

Then they use 5 different yeast strains. O, Q, V, F, & K. So they actually have 10 recipes in their single barrel line.

So you have 10 different options in their single barrels. :D

Here’s the thing. There’s the regular 100 proof single barrel, then there are 10 other recipes. ;)

Then they use 5 different yeast strains. O, Q, V, F, & K. So they actually have 10 recipes in their single barrel line.

I like a challenge!

The Al Young 50th anniversary edition was probably one of the top 5 bourbons I’ve ever tasted.

Reactions: -OB1-
I'll restart - to we mortals without access to Pappy's ….
.. .take it

- neat or with a cube

- Blanton's or Wellers?
- Woodford or Makers?
- Old Forrester or Jefferson's?

- Ever acceptable to have a slice of lime with bourbon?

Why is bourbon better than other US whiskey? What about Yippee Ki Yay

Is Rye whiskey better than Canadian Whiskey or Tennessee Whiskey?

Crown Royal or Jack Daniels?

What goes best with a cigar ….

Please … anything but more waiting on Bob ….

Pappy neat for the first sip or two, then a drop or two only of distilled water. No ice.

All 3 would depend on which exact bottle, weller antique over Blanton (I'm not a huge Blantons admirer, its buffalo Trace marketing in my book).

Woodford over most makers, but I really like the Maker Cask Strength alot.

Old Forrester in most cases, love Ocean but it's a real one off, different than most all Bourbons flavor wise.

Anything is acceptable if it helps you enjoy your Bourbon. White Chlcolate on the tongue is one of my treats when I am drinking with the wife.

I love Rye too, hell right now my go to is a Willet 4 year rare release Rye. For the money it is an absolutely awesome shipping whiskey.

Live Bourbon and Rye... and Scotch :), but it greatly depends on which one you have in front of me.
Angel's Envy Rye > Buffalo Trace
Buffalo Trace > ANY Scotch under 50 bucks
Dalmore Cigar Malt > all the above

Neither Crown or Jack, I drink neat, for me these are both for mixing. Will say Jack Fire is awesome though.

I personally appreciate a Wheated Bourbon or a Cask Strength when smoking a good robust cigar. Lately I've been sipping Stagg Jr and William Heavenhill. Just got a few bottles of McKenna 10 also which is too good not to have with a stogie, so I am not totally biased ;).

Truthfully though, any good Whiskey and Good Cigar are going to always equal a good time.

#IBUIA

Cigar wise currently stocked with:

Montecristo No. 2 (aging most)
Bolivar Gigantes (stopped making them so aging)
Partagas Serie D No. 4
Punch Double Coronos (knock your socks off so letting them mellow)
Arturo Fuente Short Story Maduro wrapper (my go to)

Reactions: -OB1-
you know that I disagree with this completely. Even the old fashioneds we drank during the Clemson game were blah with that bourbon. Haven’t you learned that BT and bowman are much better options??

Their are many opinions in the whiskey world, but only one truth....

The best whiskey is the whiskey you like best, the way you like to drink it.

Cheers!

you know that I disagree with this completely. Even the old fashioneds we drank during the Clemson game were blah with that bourbon. Haven’t you learned that BT and bowman are much better options??
Will always hold a special place in my heart

Blanton’s sort of a go to, Weller 12 year is solid, Bookers when I want one drink with a kick, Four Roses Single barrel is a little sweet for my taste, but if you can afford it and find it, George T. Stagg is a damn good sippin’ whiskey. For a change, Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve Canadian. All on the rocks, single cube. Not a smoker, so can’t speak to the cigar.

Reactions: combee1
All nice cigars but if you want to support a fellow Nole buy Padron.

Cigar wise currently stocked with:

Montecristo No. 2 (aging most)
Bolivar Gigantes (stopped making them so aging)
Partagas Serie D No. 4
Punch Double Coronos (knock your socks off so letting them mellow)
Arturo Fuente Short Story Maduro wrapper (my go to)

I probably have over 50 bottles of bourbon and look for different things all the time and have never seen a bottle of Weller 12 in a store. Funny how states differ when it comes to bourbon.
I had to go on a store list and had to wait a month for a phone call for the Weller 12. They had a lottery for the Pappy and BTAC but didnt get picked.

Reactions: T-NOLE
I had to go on a store list and had to wait a month for a phone call for the Weller 12. They had a lottery for the Pappy and BTAC but didnt get picked.
Virginia is doing a Pappy Lottery with different products available each week in December. 2 weeks ago we had a big Weller lottery and i didn't get any. Gotta keep trying.

I just finished a bottle of 1792 small batch, good stuff for the price. I also had a kristoff cameroon !

Blanton’s sort of a go to, Weller 12 year is solid, Bookers when I want one drink with a kick, Four Roses Single barrel is a little sweet for my taste, but if you can afford it and find it, George T. Stagg is a damn good sippin’ whiskey. For a change, Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve Canadian. All on the rocks, single cube. Not a smoker, so can’t speak to the cigar.
Stagg Jr is awesome and will put hair on your chest at 140 proof!

That’s the 2014. Friend gave it to me as a gift, that’s why I haven’t cracked it. Can’t go wrong with any of the LE’s. I’m a big Four Roses guy though.
That's a good find and a great year from what i've heard. I don't blame you for saving it.

Not trying to be tacky, but what is the going rate for Blanton’s . My store in Valdosta has it for $190.00. Thought that to be a little steep. They have Boss Hog for $500.

Jefferson’s Ocean Cask Strength Please!
I wanted to hate Jefferson's Ocean just cause it sounded like cheesy marketing in how it is stored on top of a ship that sails around the world for a yr, but hot damn if that's not a fantastic bourbon. I was truly shocked, tastes different that anything else I've ever tried.

Not trying to be tacky, but what is the going rate for Blanton’s . My store in Valdosta has it for $190.00. Thought that to be a little steep. They have Boss Hog for $500.
That's insane and quite honestly is bs. Is $59 on the shelf here in FL, if you can find it though.

Reactions: combee1
I wanted to hate Jefferson's Ocean just cause it sounded like cheesy marketing in how it is stored on top of a ship that sails around the world for a yr, but hot damn if that's not a fantastic bourbon. I was truly shocked, tastes different that anything else I've ever tried.

They still source their bourbon but it’s still good stuff. I was a weary too, but they really do have a unique profile.

Pappy neat for the first sip or two, then a drop or two only of distilled water. No ice.

All 3 would depend on which exact bottle, weller antique over Blanton (I'm not a huge Blantons admirer, its buffalo Trace marketing in my book).

Old Forrester in most cases, love Ocean but it's a real one off, different than most all Bourbons flavor wise.

Anything is acceptable if it helps you enjoy your Bourbon. White Chlcolate on the tongue is one of my treats when I am drinking with the wife.

I love Rye too, hell right now my go to is a Willet 4 year rare release Rye. For the money it is an absolutely awesome shipping whiskey.

Live Bourbon and Rye... and Scotch :), but it greatly depends on which one you have in front of me.

Neither Crown or Jack, I drink neat, for me these are both for mixing. Will say Jack Fire is awesome though.

I personally appreciate a Wheated Bourbon or a Cask Strength when smoking a good robust cigar. Lately I've been sipping Stagg Jr and William Heavenhill. Just got a few bottles of McKenna 10 also which is too good not to have with a stogie, so I am not totally biased ;).

Truthfully though, any good Whiskey and Good Cigar are going to always equal a good time.

#IBUIA
Just got a double pour of Russell’s 10 yr with a cube - it’s nice! Like McKenna 10 too - good value.

Thanks, they said they have trouble getting it. I’ll look around or head to Tallahassee for a better selection.

Russell’s Reserve. Single barrel picks ideally.

old forester 1920 is the best bourbon that isn’t overly allocated.
Agree. OF is the best bourbon no one really talks about except for people really into bourbon. And the Russells single barrell is another fantastic bourbon that is always on the shelf.

#IBUIA
Who needs coach conversation - this has real content - Russels kicking in

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT