ADVERTISEMENT

Well, the old boy is not so bright. We helped send a slug to jail...

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
Long asss story... After an auction this weekend, we had a cat jumping up and down for a couple of pieces of jewelry to be sent out for next day delivery. We routinely ship out to most states and up to 45-50 countries, so his request was not unusual...but he was very insistent it must be shipped quickly. He won about $4,000 worth of junk at auction. Our average lot is several thousand, so there was no red flag at the onset.
The lady who dealt with him via phone came in this morning and said that she had a wierd feeling about the shipment and wanted it to be intercepted. I told her that we needed a good reason,,,many of our folks are those whom buy for presents, dealers who need stock for upcoming buyers, peeps who travel and need things while in town, etc... and we can not stop a shipment just because. That could create a real spit storm with the wrong person. While we talked I tracked the package and it was out for delivery.
She went to work and found that the card he purchased with had been closed out, (the system told us to take possession of the card) as well as another he used for shipping.. I got on the line with UPS Capital, (we ship a spit ton of stuff and do not deal with the 800 # in Pakistan or India) and as we talked the tracking showed that delivery occurred 7 minutes earlier...Dang!!
I asked them to contact the driver for details on the recipient and then called the upper Midwest police department in whose town this delivery occurred. I gave the dispatcher and later a detective lots of details, and he told me that the buyer was a real person with a real address...he told me he would go by and see if there was a problem with the credit card.

Meanwhile, several things happened,...I had asked for UPS to check with the driver for details on the delivery. They came back with an amazing bit of detail on th slug...5'5 ish, short grey hair, 60ish, round face, white guy, cig in his mouth, sweat shirt, white pants, no tats or earrings, two dogs in the house,...Wow! What detail from a driver.
Meanwhile slug called and said he only received one of two pieces...we knew otherwise. When the officer quizzed him, he said that he only received one piece,,,officer told him to turn them both over.
Turns out the cat was on probation for similar stuff. We will get the goods back after processing for evidence. Meanwhile, he is in jail tonight.
The officer told us that this is the next scam...we deal with all kinds of crazy stuff, particularly with buyers of Asian objects. The auction world attracts some crazy mother scratchers...

The amazing work by both UPS and the police department ( in addition to the chick at our place) deserves a big shout out. Art scams are a huge issue in our world...

Link to auction house?
International House based in Western NC. brunkauctions.com Are you looking to buy or sell ? For consignments, we deal mostly with the three D's. ..death, divorce, or debt. Our sales are global.

Last edited:
Not sure if you have one in person, but I read your posts in this thread with a thick Brooklyn accent.
Actually, folks can't figure my speech. It is a mix of Florida cracker, NC Piedmont and Mountains...with a strong splash of smart ace.
As far as Brooklyn, we interact with many dealers, collectors, and wheeler dealers from the five boroughs routinely. Most of those folks are pushy and straight forward... and quite adept at reasonable business dealings. There are many cultures represented whom target a wide variety of objects....the Russians have things sent to forwarders near JFK, the Chinese are strong in Brooklyn and south Manhattan, the Persians are in Manhattan as well as out on Long Island...
They want what they want, we tell them what we will do, and we either strike a deal or politely part company. Often, the first time we interact with some of these folks, their impression is that we must be rubes or unproductive, but they typically recognize professionalism and are respectful going forward. The New York folks are predictable and reasonable in dealings within the auction world. They ask for detailed info, which we provide, and then act accordingly. Too many other cultures play non productive games. My part is often dealing with the rug and carpet folks...translated that typically means Persian merchants. Their culture requires politeness and negotiation.
The international buyers bring an entirely different mix to the table. The Brits are hands down the most professional to deal with, while the Chinese act like winning a bid at auction is just the beginning of negotiations...

Last edited:
Damn, sounds like an episode of White Collar. The perps name doesn't happen to be Neal Caffrey, does it?
No, but the guy used his real name in all of the transactions, including getting a valid credit card which he then cancelled. Wut, wut?

International House based in Western NC. brunkauctions.com Are you looking to buy or sell ? For consignments, we deal mostly with the three D's. ..death, divorce, or debt. Our sales are global.

My college roommate (best man at my wedding) owns an auction house in St. Pete - Does mostly estates and he loves it. Cool business. I will share this story with him to put him on the lookout.

Bidding_2.jpg

Great story!
Glad to see you read and appreciate that tale, goldmom. That kind of thing happens way too often in my work life, and even tho it means there is seldom a dull moment, it can become tiring. I know that you and Tom lived in various places and dealt with differing "cultures" in work and life. Was there a point in time or place that you think of in regards to folks who "had it together" regarding business dealings as well as being those whom you wanted to live and interact with... It seems that Texas life is up on your list.
When it comes to after work hours, we love our little refuge from big doings and have no desire to move to a "bigger" spot on this earth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT