ADVERTISEMENT

What’s a really bad show you have stayed with too long?

Game of Thrones

bring-it-text.png

Did this wrap up? Wife and I watched into the third season then another kid and new job came along and I figured we’d binge it when it was done.

Sopranos ended badly. And, is not something you can sit down and rewatch

Blasphemy!
My introduction to this show was when Paulie caught up with the lawn maintenance crew (home at Xmas and USA was running a marathon)
Torrented and binged the whole thing after that.
Watched it again after finding out my wife hadn’t seen it. I enjoyed how the show and characters evolved. I get how people felt cheated by the last episode, but it reminded me of the way Stephen King would end a book in an open ended way.

I have never seen even a clip of an episode. It's comedic to watch people react with such audacity that I have no clue who Shabawhogivesaflip of the Highlands is or that I have no idea which character died the previous Sunday. At this point, I'm refusing to watch it on principle because so many people have said that I have to watch it.

I applaud the effort. I am the same way with the Titanic. Big difference, we all know how Titanic ended!!!!

The best television ever, puts Breaking Bad to shame. I was the same way and never watched it. I will re-watch it before the final season, it's that good. The character development is what makes it so good plus they know when to quit,at their peak.

I think I agree. I too will try to watch the whole thing again before the last season starts.

Entourage was a great show early. C’mon. Don’t be a revisionist historian.
First couple of seasons we're great, but it got bad fast.

I hated the sopranos ending too, but I have watched the entire series start to finish in the last couple of years and it's excellent.

Reactions: HulaNole
First couple of seasons we're great, but it got bad fast.

I hated the sopranos ending too, but I have watched the entire series start to finish in the last couple of years and it's excellent.

The Sopranos being good was the beat white man’s con on society since the “size doesn’t matter campaign” — it’s beyond terrible.

This is us and Grey’s Anatomy. Wife will watch FSU games, so figured I would try to return the favor and watch something with her she likes. Made it through half the first episode of This is us and the first commercial break of Grey’s. I would rather divorce my wife than have to sit through an entire episode of either.

Let's just say that due to my wife, I know way too much about the lives of wealthy housewives in various metro areas of the U.S. than any middle-aged straight man has a right to.

I actually was mad they cancelled it and felt they rushed through the last season.
Season 1 was great, season 2 started falling off, season 3 was terrible. I stayed with it hoping they'd capture the success they had in season 1, but they didn't

I have the perfect example for the OP.

I started watching Dark Matter on Netflix a few months ago. The story isn't all that bad and it is a Syfy show with a mystery component. I am in season 1 episode 6 and the shows give you just enough to watch the next one. So on the good side the writing is not that bad up to this point. But it is probably the worst acted show I have seen in a while, along the lines of your typical CW show. The girl that plays the android while attempting to come across as robotic ends up sounding like a dork. The female captain should be sexy but isn't. The tough guy doesn't come across as tough ect. ect. I don't know if the casting director simply did a poor job in assembling such a large group of bad actors or the director is forcing this style upon them in an attempt to portray someone who has suffered Amnesia. SyFy did air this for 3 seasons so there could be a chance the actors improve but I doubt it. Maybe I want this show to be more like Firefly where the actors did such a fantastic job and had personality which is very much lacking in Dark Matter.

Made it through half the first episode of This is us. I would rather divorce my wife than have to sit through an entire episode.
Thats like saying "I turned off The Sixth Sense halfway because it was just some crazy kid talking to his doctor"

Reactions: bigmamanole
Season 1 was great, season 2 started falling off, season 3 was terrible. I stayed with it hoping they'd capture the success they had in season 1, but they didn't
I believe the reason Season 3 was not great was it was rushed. That series was supposed to go much longer than 3 season, but it got canceled( upcoming seasons) so they had to throw everything in the last season.

Last edited:
I'm pretty quick to bail on shows, but since there are two different things going on here...

Shows that were good to start, turned bad, but you stayed with them to the bitter end:

I'm also going to say the Sopranos. Regardless of the literal ending, I think the last 2-3 seasons of The Sopranos are actually quite poor. There's good stuff there, but I think if they were subjected to the same level of criticism today's prestige TV is, they'd be savaged. The narrative was mostly trash. But I watched every episode the night it aired until the end, even as it made me more and more aggravated.

I think Lost declined in quality over time, but I never considered it to have reached true bad status, so I've got no problems with sticking with that. I feel the same way about Game of Thrones.

Shows that were never good, but you stuck them out to the very end:

Because I do tend to bail, probably the only one I can think of here that I stayed all the way to the end was The OA on Netflix. Never good, but I saw it through.

There were some shows I stayed with far after I stopped enjoying them though, probably the chief among them being 24. I watched it like two seasons past when I enjoyed it. Probably 1.5 seasons of Homeland after I stopped enjoying it. And I guess you'd have to count the Simpsons, one of my all time favorite shows, which I bailed on after I guess 18 or 19 seasons LOL. I never stopped enjoying it completely, but it was just too much of a dropoff after a while.

I believe the reason Season 3 was not great was it was rushed. That series was supposed to go much longer than 3 season, but it got canceled( upcoming seasons) so they had to throw everything in the last season.

I agree that it was rushed. I just got the feeling they didn't have the story in place to extend it further. It would have been really interesting. The dirty marina brother drove me nuts in the last season. He was not a good actor to begin with, but then his character shifted too much in a short period. There were some weird timelines and some unrealistic things they threw in to try and make it work.

Reactions: Nole Daddy
I agree that it was rushed. I just got the feeling they didn't have the story in place to extend it further. It would have been really interesting. The dirty marina brother drove me nuts in the last season. He was not a good actor to begin with, but then his character shifted too much in a short period. There were some weird timelines and some unrealistic things they threw in to try and make it work.
I had a lot of problems with Season 3 because it was rushed. Where the hell was Meg? ; the character Ozzy( what was his deal?); did Sally and the head drug guy have a thing back in the day and what happened on that boat; and the whole thing about them saying the Keys would be in the Ocean in 10 years and they could not sell the hotel.

Kevin was annoying too, but I did not think he was a bad actor. Just unlikable.

I had a lot of problems with Season 3 because it was rushed. Where the hell was Meg? ; the character Ozzy( what was his deal?); did Sally and the head drug guy have a thing back in the day and what happened on that boat; and the whole thing about them saying the Keys would be in the Ocean in 10 years and they could not sell the hotel.

Kevin was annoying too, but I did not think he was a bad actor. Just unlikable.

I couldn't figure out the Sally/Kingpin connection. I'm guessing they either had a thing or were involved in illegal activities and something was buried under the hotel. The series had a lot of potential, but some weird dialogue that didn't seem to flow right.

I couldn't figure out the Sally/Kingpin connection. I'm guessing they either had a thing or were involved in illegal activities and something was buried under the hotel. The series had a lot of potential, but some weird dialogue that didn't seem to flow right.
Exactly. They make you think they had a thing, but they don’t answer it. It is clear that Sally’s husband was into illegal stuff and that is how he got that property.

Exactly. They make you think they had a thing, but they don’t answer it. It is clear that Sally’s husband was into illegal stuff and that is how he got that property.

You know, I think the thing that bugged me the most about the show was Sally's stupid glasses and her nose.

Anyone watching Designated Survivor with Kiefer Sutherland? I really like him as an actor and I followed him to this show. It had potential but has really had some bad storylines/ writing. Now his wife died and I’m not sure that was a good idea. They could have just replaced the wife who was leaving for another show with a different actress.

I’m also a Survivor fan, and watching again this season.
I though Lost was real good (sure it had some bad storylines but what show doesn’t). Overall it got an A in my book. For comparison Breaking Bad gets an A+.

Anyone watching Designated Survivor with Kiefer Sutherland? I really like him as an actor and I followed him to this show. It had potential but has really had some bad storylines/ writing. Now his wife died and I’m not sure that was a good idea. They could have just replaced the wife who was leaving for another show with a different actress.

I’m also a Survivor fan, and watching again this season.
I though Lost was real good (sure it had some bad storylines but what show doesn’t). Overall it got an A in my book. For comparison Breaking Bad gets an A+.
I watched about 10 episodes or so, but gave up on it( Designated Survivor).

I'm pretty quick to bail on shows, but since there are two different things going on here...

Shows that were good to start, turned bad, but you stayed with them to the bitter end:

I'm also going to say the Sopranos. Regardless of the literal ending, I think the last 2-3 seasons of The Sopranos are actually quite poor. There's good stuff there, but I think if they were subjected to the same level of criticism today's prestige TV is, they'd be savaged. The narrative was mostly trash. But I watched every episode the night it aired until the end, even as it made me more and more aggravated.

I think Lost declined in quality over time, but I never considered it to have reached true bad status, so I've got no problems with sticking with that. I feel the same way about Game of Thrones.

Shows that were never good, but you stuck them out to the very end:

Because I do tend to bail, probably the only one I can think of here that I stayed all the way to the end was The OA on Netflix. Never good, but I saw it through.

There were some shows I stayed with far after I stopped enjoying them though, probably the chief among them being 24. I watched it like two seasons past when I enjoyed it. Probably 1.5 seasons of Homeland after I stopped enjoying it. And I guess you'd have to count the Simpsons, one of my all time favorite shows, which I bailed on after I guess 18 or 19 seasons LOL. I never stopped enjoying it completely, but it was just too much of a dropoff after a while.
Is OA coming back?

Agree with Lou, a complete waste. Would be fine if it didn't.
I was fine with OA and liked it. That is until that dance thing they did in the cafeteria. Can the show be saved after that? I don’t know.

I was fine with OA and liked it. That is until that dance thing they did in the cafeteria. Can the show be saved after that? I don’t know.
I should have been more clear: I liked the show up to the dance point as well for the most part, but that was SO horrible that it really ruined it for me.

Bad shows that I stuck with. I have to go back to when I was a young lad. I stuck with Saved by the bell from start to finish.

I never watched Friends all the way through but I put it in the always bad category.

I think Lost was a fresh way to present a series- but otherwise- really took itself way too seriously, and from a story standpoint sucked. JMO

Bad shows that I stuck with. I have to go back to when I was a young lad. I stuck with Saved by the bell from start to finish.

I never watched Friends all the way through but I put it in the always bad category.

Including the College Years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT