ADVERTISEMENT

What kind of music do you listen to these days?

This time of year, I typically listen to a lot of compilation recordings & playlists from an annual festival that's held near where I live - the Orange Blossom Jamboree. Nice, small festival featuring bands of different styles/genres from throughout the state.

http://www.orangeblossomjamboree.com/

On the INFO tab, there's a link to a page that has the compilations from the bands who've played the past events (the upcoming festival, in 2 weeks, is the 9th annual).

I listen to specific bands more than I do genres.

Band of Horses
The War on Drugs
Cold War Kids
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
Grouplove

Those bands are all featuring pretty routinely in my rotation right now, among some others.

War on Drugs fan? Buuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddddddddddddddddd. Good stuff!

Reactions: LesClaypool
Mostly listen to music of the 1960s. Pretty broad swath of that...pop, Motown, soul, folk, Spector, British Invasion...love almost all of that era. Mainly through Sirius 60s on 6 and Underground Garage, but I've got a huge collection as well. Like a smattering of songs and bands from different eras as well (some metal, some 70s crap rock, old school rap), but probably nothing from this millennium that I can think of. Little bit of showtunes, and comedy music (Weird Al, Jonathon Coulton) from time to time.

Had a pretty depressing experience regarding my music taste last night in fact. Watched the movie 45 Years. Good quiet relationship drama. The main characters are listening to music through much of the movie, and it's an absolute bullseye to the music I like and listen to. The depressing part is that the characters are 70 years old. I always knew my taste in music was old for my age...but now it's REALLY old, because I'm getting older (45).

It's hard to accept that everyone else that really enjoys that music is pushing 70, because when I was in my 20s, they were in their 40s and it didn't seem so out of line. It won't be long before I'm the only one left really into it. And to a lesser extent my kids I guess, as they were raised with it as I was. It's weird for me to know the Herman's Hermits catalogue at 45...even weirder for my kids to know it at 18 or 21.

Reactions: goldmom
Recently played in my iTunes:

Chris Stapleton
Gungor
Needtobreathe
Avett Brothers
Punch Brothers
The Civil Wars

Listening to a lot of Blues lately and some bands I had almost forgotten growing up.
Ten Years After
Savoy Brown
Wishbone Ash
Early Rolling Stones
Clapton

Mostly Rock and or Roll. I'll do the spotify recently played thing:

* Shakly Graves
* Mansionair
* Nirvana
* Chris Cornell
* Tedeshi Trucks
* Smashing Pumpkins
* Deer Tick
* The Lemonheads
* Chris Stapelton
* Left Lane Cruiser (an ode to the LR)
* Jimi Hendrix
* The Wood Brothers
* Siouxsie and the Banshees
* Highly Suspect
* The Avett Brothers
* Valerie June
* Local H
* Portugal. The man.
* The Revivalists
* Florance & the Machine
* Foo Fighters
* Trampled by Turtles
* Temple of the Dog
* Modest Mouse
* Greta Van Fleet
* The Blue Stones
* Royal Blood
* Manchester Orchestra
* Colter Wall
* Justin Townes Earle
* Amy Weinhouse
* Sublime

Etc, etc

Listening to a lot of Blues lately and some bands I had almost forgotten growing up.
Ten Years After
Savoy Brown
Wishbone Ash
Early Rolling Stones
Clapton

Interestingly, I also just picked up some Savoy Brown songs on iTunes this month.

Reactions: motas
Mostly listen to music of the 1960s. Pretty broad swath of that...pop, Motown, soul, folk, Spector, British Invasion...love almost all of that era. Mainly through Sirius 60s on 6 and Underground Garage, but I've got a huge collection as well. Like a smattering of songs and bands from different eras as well (some metal, some 70s crap rock, old school rap), but probably nothing from this millennium that I can think of. Little bit of showtunes, and comedy music (Weird Al, Jonathon Coulton) from time to time.

Had a pretty depressing experience regarding my music taste last night in fact. Watched the movie 45 Years. Good quiet relationship drama. The main characters are listening to music through much of the movie, and it's an absolute bullseye to the music I like and listen to. The depressing part is that the characters are 70 years old. I always knew my taste in music was old for my age...but now it's REALLY old, because I'm getting older (45).

It's hard to accept that everyone else that really enjoys that music is pushing 70, because when I was in my 20s, they were in their 40s and it didn't seem so out of line. It won't be long before I'm the only one left really into it. And to a lesser extent my kids I guess, as they were raised with it as I was. It's weird for me to know the Herman's Hermits catalogue at 45...even weirder for my kids to know it at 18 or 21.
My daughter knows all the "oldies" from my era, because that's what was on the car radio every day.

Reactions: Nole Lou
My daughter knows all the "oldies" from my era, because that's what was on the car radio every day.

Nice.

When my oldest got her first apartment in college with three other girls, they had a bluetooth speaker in the shower, and they discovered that when someone was in there, one of the other girls could connect in and play something else, and play something really annoying that the other person couldn't change and had to listen to.

A couple of girls thought they were funny by throwing on the Macarena or Village People or something on my daughter, not knowing that she had something approximating the Russian nuclear arsenal of crazy goofy songs in her mental catalog to release on them. On one of her trips home she and my other kids sat there for a couple hours creating a "Shower Annoyance" playlist on Spotify of a hundred songs, with everything from Witch Doctor, to the worst of (read: best) The Four Seasons, to the Good the Bad and the Ugly theme, to 96 Tears, to Sukiyaki and Dominique. It was a very proud moment as a dad.

You know, the usual, Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Market Place, Fresh Air, BBC . . .

Yeah, really don't listen to much music these days.

Reactions: Nole Daddy
I just turned 40, so I've had a bit of nostalgia lately listening to a lot of the bands who are still around from my high school days. Bands like King's X, Pearl Jam, etc...

Then for newer things, I've been listening to a lot of Gungor lately. For the first time in my life I've also been getting into hip hop. Propaganda, Chance the Rapper, and the Black Panther soundtrack have all been really entertaining.

Reactions: BOwens21
What's sad and shocking is what is played on the classic rock channels these days. It depresses me when I hear a song that dropped when I was in my 40's on their playlist.
Hearing them used on commercials is what always gets me.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
if you want to see a Red Dirt Country guy and see a good show for cheap, then check him out Saturday. I would be making the long drive to Tally if I did not have something else going on that I can’t get out of.

Reactions: goldmom
I’d highly recommend anyone in tally to check him out saturday. he played Eddie’s attic in Atlanta Tuesday and was great. Tickets are probably about $10 and early show so old people (like me) can get him early and kids can use as little pre-party. Couple songs you could pull up..
Gulf Moon - Kenny chesney is going to put on his new album that comes out this summer
Here I Come - currently single on texas radio
Turquoise
Old Stone Church - got voted one of best songs of the year last on texas radio.

Also the opening act (Zach Nytomt) is really good.

Reactions: Nole Daddy
Geoduck_held_in_two_hands.jpg

I'm not a music nerd/snob like most in here. I'm fine switching from Pop 100 to pop country 100 in the car.

If I do put headphones in to listen to music, I still use Pandora, and its a mix of Cross Canadian Ragweed, Roger Creager, Robert Earl Keen, Chris Stapleton, SRV, etc.

I'm not a music nerd/snob like most in here. I'm fine switching from Pop 100 to pop country 100 in the car.

If I do put headphones in to listen to music, I still use Pandora, and its a mix of Cross Canadian Ragweed, Roger Creager, Robert Earl Keen, Chris Stapleton, SRV, etc.
I am down with what you listen to when you put head phones on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT