ADVERTISEMENT

What Was the Name of the . . .

pattynole

Walk-on
Nov 1, 2002
. . . movie theater on Tennessee that served beer and food? I believe it then turned into a $1 theater and then maybe a bowling alley(?).

Let me get this straight. You come back here to post about a movie theater??

How you doing you old pirate! (In my best Lando voice)

If we are doing what was the name of... I think there was an ice cream parlor up near the top of College Avenue...when I was there in 1989ish.. Can anyone tell me the name of that. I think the same family that owned the Phyrst owned that.

I remember Cinema Drafthouse on Monroe, about where the A Loft is now. I watched an FSU LSU game there when I was a sophomore. The place was packed to the gills and loud as hell. We won of course.

Yea the Varsity was on Tennessee St at the end of High Road I think. Wow, the memories of watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show there.

. . . movie theater on Tennessee that served beer and food? I believe it then turned into a $1 theater and then maybe a bowling alley(?).
Any of you cats watch flicks at the old Florida Theatre on Monroe Street?

I worked at Mugs and Movies for about a year while at FSU. I remember having to stomach the movie Beaches for about a month maybe longer. Later that year sales were down and they brought the damn thing back. The only solace was on the opening night the reels were out of order and when the manager put them together the women died and credits came up in the middle of the movie. Some people were pissed off and the manger handed out free passes. Even though tips were down that night I found it all funny. I don't recall working much longer after that so maybe it was having to listen to Better Midler that encouraged me to find work elsewhere.

IC Flicks or something like that I believe.
We have a winner! I was the owner, we opened in Spring of 92 and lasted 5 years. I went into business with the manager of Mugs and Movies, who in turn managed ICF until I fired his ass. It was the Varsity Triple before that, which had turned into 2 buck sub run theater when that was the craze. They went under when Movies 8 opened, which was a nice sub run concept put together by Cinemark. I own a building maintenance company, which had cleaning contracts with pretty much every theater in town except the Parkway. I knew the prez of Eastern Federal, which owned the Varsity, the Miracle, Oak Lake 6 and Governors 12. He made it easy for me to convert the Varsity, basically leaving all the equipment in there. It was basically a cosmetic makeover, we did have to build the kitchen in the lobby. Loved my time there, we had free flicks at midnight on weekends{The Wall, Heathers, Dazed and Confused, etc. }, we ran VHS tapes through the overhead projectors, so no need to charge. Also had the FSU football games there, which made beaucoup money.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUTribe76
Let me set the record straight, I was the owner of I.C Fl

We have a winner! I was the owner, we opened in Spring of 92 and lasted 5 years. I went into business with the manager of Mugs and Movies, who in turn managed ICF until I fired his ass. It was the Varsity Triple before that, which had turned into 2 buck sub run theater when that was the craze. They went under when Movies 8 opened, which was a nice sub run concept put together by Cinemark. I own a building maintenance company, which had cleaning contracts with pretty much every theater in town except the Parkway. I knew the prez of Eastern Federal, which owned the Varsity, the Miracle, Oak Lake 6 and Governors 12. He made it easy for me to convert the Varsity, basically leaving all the equipment in there. It was basically a cosmetic makeover, we did have to build the kitchen in the lobby. Loved my time there, we had free flicks at midnight on weekends{The Wall, Heathers, Dazed and Confused, etc. }, we ran VHS tapes through the overhead projectors, so no need to charge. Also had the FSU football games there, which made beaucoup money.

Well you got a fair amount of my ramen and Lipton noodle money back when I was a freshman and sophmore.

Yea the Varsity was on Tennessee St at the end of High Road I think. Wow, the memories of watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show there.
yup, was the varsity. was walking out one night when odell and some of the other players were entering. odell was around 230 then and a linebacker. what a beast he was
sporting a 32-inch waist.

I was at FSU 92-96. Went to IC Flicks all the time. Really like the concept. A well done one is the Alamo Drafthouse

I was at FSU 92-96. Went to IC Flicks all the time. Really like the concept. A well done one is the Alamo Drafthouse
Either this or Cinebistro would do nicely in Tallahassee. Unfortunately, the era of the dollar house is on life support, the megaplexs have made it hard to survive. Prior to AMC opening in Tally, the largest theater was 12 screens, the sub run theaters could still get the product pretty quickly while it was still registering in the consumers' minds. But AMC, with 20 screens, holds titles forever, putting them in smaller auditoriums with each passing week as the business gets slower. I think the final nail in the coffin of the sub runs will be digital. The film distributors are phasing out 35mm prints, and a digital projector runs around 500,000. You can't pull in enough revenue on 2 bucks a ticket to pay for that kind of equipment. I linked a story on a a theater that is soon opening in town, this is a bit of an upgrade on the Alamo, Cinebistro concept.
http://www.c-ville.com/new-owner-sa...dine-in-movie-theater-next-fall/#.Vi6MXbWFPcs

Reactions: Banditking

Cool. I believe I saw Pulp Fiction for the first time there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT