ADVERTISEMENT

Why Eliminating the SAT is bad for students from poor families

Two things. First, my former neighbor who is an electrician once told me that plumbers were the kings of tradesman. All of them can make a great living.
Second, I’ll hand it to my parents. I got an M.S. at FSU and spent my entire career as a scientist in agriculture. My younger brother is a certified auto mechanic AND carpenter. His main job is a construction superintendent. My parents never pressured us in any direction. We always appreciated that.
The USA won WW2 because American farm boys were athletic, could shoot lights-out, and could fix or jerry-rig almost anything that broke. Today’s kids are softer than butter. They love their phones, video games, staying indoors, and the gender-blurring nonsense they have been force-fed since childhood.

The USA won WW2 because American farm boys were athletic, could shoot lights-out, and could fix or jerry-rig almost anything that broke. Today’s kids are softer than butter. They love their phones, video games, staying indoors, and the gender-blurring nonsense they have been force-fed since childhood.

The boomer generation were gifted the keys from greatest generation and drove this country straight into the tree.

How could we be responsible? The boomers never retired and allowed us to take over.
And most of the parents today were raised by boomers.
Allowed you to take over? Take over what? Why do they need to get out of the way? There's plenty of opportunities especially for Gen X folks. The Boomers will be in the workforce for a few more years.

I doubt most parents today were raised by boomers. I bet the majority were raised by Gen X ers.

Reactions: noleman69
Allowed you to take over? Take over what? Why do they need to get out of the way? There's plenty of opportunities especially for Gen X folks. The Boomers will be in the workforce for a few more years.

I doubt most parents today were raised by boomers. I bet the majority were raised by Gen X ers.
That is a poorly thought out argument. Most of the Boomers kids are alive so they're likely to have the most kids. I'm a genx'er parent and I was raised by boomers. And I'm old for a genx'er, the youngers ones are in their early 40s.

How could we be responsible? The boomers never retired and allowed us to take over.
And most of the parents today were raised by boomers.
As a Boomer, I used to watch the series Dallas quite a bit. In one episode, Bobby says to Jock, “You have to give me the power.” In response, Jock says, “You’re not given power like that, you TAKE it.”

The boomer generation were gifted the keys from greatest generation and drove this country straight into the tree.
Really? It wasn’t the boomer generation that gave us skittles parties and texting while driving.

As a Boomer, I used to watch the series Dallas quite a bit. In one episode, Bobby says to Jock, “You have to give me the power.” In response, Jock says, “You’re not given power like that, you TAKE it.”
This is true. If we'd stop voting dinosaurs in for re-election then congress wouldn't be filled with 80 year olds.
On the other hand you could end up with a Matt Gaetz...

That is a poorly thought out argument. Most of the Boomers kids are alive so they're likely to have the most kids. I'm a genx'er parent and I was raised by boomers. And I'm old for a genx'er, the youngers ones are in their early 40s.
I'm Gen X but not raised by Boomers. Father was born in 1936 me in 66 so an older Gen X as well. My kids are in their 30's and just having kids. Hence the argument. If fathers are having kids at 30 - 33 range today they were born in the early 2000's with parents born in the 70's.

I'm Gen X but not raised by Boomers. Father was born in 1936 me in 66 so an older Gen X as well. My kids are in their 30's and just having kids. Hence the argument. If fathers are having kids at 30 - 33 range today they were born in the early 2000's with parents born in the 70's.
Sure, parents having babies right now likely had GenX parents. But the statement wasn't that parents of newborns were raised by GenXers. It was just parents.

No, it was the boomer party that gave us trickle down economics and sent industry overseas.
But skittles are bad too I guess.
Not quite. Look up Carnegie, Ford and Rockefeller. Trickle down and even more unfair economics have been around for at least 100 years.

This is true. If we'd stop voting dinosaurs in for re-election then congress wouldn't be filled with 80 year olds.
On the other hand you could end up with a Matt Gaetz...
There are roughly 70 million boomers. 65 million gen x and 72 million Gen Y. That's not counting the voting age Gen Z. How do the 80 year olds keep winning?

Reactions: goldmom
Sure, parents having babies right now likely had GenX parents. But the statement wasn't that parents of newborns were raised by GenXers. It was just parents.
The statement was Gen X raised the parents we see today which is true. You said most parents today were raised by boomers. I guess we would have to define age of the parent.

The statement was Gen X raised the parents we see today which is true. You said most parents today were raised by boomers. I guess we would have to define age of the parent.
At what age do you stop being a parent?

All presidents have been boomers since Clinton. Time to step aside.

At what age do you stop being a parent?

All presidents have been boomers since Clinton. Time to step aside.
When you die or don't have any more kids left. Why wait for someone to step aside? If you want something take it. That's the problem these days people want an easy path so they wait for someone to move on or retire. You don't want a old president get a younger one to run. Don't worry maybe the next one wont be a boomer.

Reactions: goldmom
I don’t get too caught up in which “Gen” supposedly did what. Personally, I fault everyone who contributed to, or quietly indulged, the current environment of excessive political correctness and lack of basic common sense. We have created a huge swath of oddballs who fixate on absolutely wild stuff like gender fluidity, menstrual equity, and climate extremism, among other things.

Everything goes now. No boundaries. Wear a dress or use the women’s locker room if you feel like it. Tuck in your pecker and directly compete with the girls if the mood strikes you. No perpetuation of basic generational-sustaining essentials. Every bozo gets a microphone, and we are told we must quietly listen, indulge and accommodate.

I don’t get too caught up in which “Gen” supposedly did what. Personally, I fault everyone who contributed to, or quietly indulged, the current environment of excessive political correctness and lack of basic common sense. We have created a huge swath of oddballs who fixate on absolutely wild stuff like gender fluidity, menstrual equity, and climate extremism, among other things.

Everything goes now. No boundaries. Wear a dress or use the women’s locker room if you feel like it. Tuck in your pecker and directly compete with the girls if the mood strikes you. No perpetuation of basic generational-sustaining essentials. Every bozo gets a microphone, and we are told we must quietly listen, indulge and accommodate.
Personally I don't care what others do if it makes them happy.
I do care that economic changes have pushed the wealth gap to historic highs and college costs more than my first home. I care that our planet is rapidly warming and it's likely too late to do anything before we start suffering the ill effects. And yet no one is serious about fixing it.
I guess we just have different priorities.

Reactions: bcherod

True enough! However there’s just as many who want to teach history with no reference to race. Common sense also tells us what happened before 1860 and who lynched who afterward. But hey, can’t hurt anyone’s feelings. Fact is, political correctness and “who gets the microphone” cuts both ways. I had ancestors that fought on both sides of the Civil War. You’re not gonna hurt my feelings by pointing that out. I have an ancestor that’s buried at Camp Douglas (Andersonville of the North).
Here’s an idea. Vote for people who play the game between the 20 yard lines. AOC, The squad and Bernie Sanders…out. Margie Q, Boebert and Gosar…out. We might actually get some things done.

Personally I don't care what others do if it makes them happy.
I do care that economic changes have pushed the wealth gap to historic highs and college costs more than my first home. I care that our planet is rapidly warming and it's likely too late to do anything before we start suffering the ill effects. And yet no one is serious about fixing it.
I guess we just have different priorities.
So letting guys wear dresses and putting tampons in the boys’ bathroom is the fix????

I read about people “so freaked out about the climate” that they are “too concerned” to get married or have children. That’s like saying I’m so worried about the economy that I’m just going to curl up in a ball and never spend another nickel. No?

It’s about the WILD EXTREMES to which “society” is asked (or demanded) to “adapt.” Why can’t we keep legitimate differences of opinion within the proverbial 30 yard lines? Hell, use the whole 100 yard field for all I care. But we can’t survive if the discussions begin in polar opposite parking lots, over a mile apart.

So letting guys wear dresses and putting tampons in the boys’ bathroom is the fix????

I read about people “so freaked out about the climate” that they are “too concerned” to get married or have children. That’s like saying I’m so worried about the economy that I’m just going to curl up in a ball and never spend another nickel. No?

It’s about the WILD EXTREMES to which “society” is asked (or demanded) to “adapt.” Why can’t we keep legitimate differences of opinion within the proverbial 30 yard lines? Hell, use the whole 100 yard field for all I care. But we can’t survive if the discussions begin in polar opposite parking lots, over a mile apart.
Where did I say that letting people live how they want would fix the economy or the climate?
I said I didn't care how they led their lives.
Any no one is forcing you to wear a dress or define your gender. You seem mad that others are allowed to do what you don't want to do.
I'm mad about the things that will actually harm the country, not policing societal norms.

Nice. Second hand account story from the daily beast. Seems legit. DOJ decided not to charge him per CNN.

Not saying he didn’t do it but I would think if they had evidence on him they would use it.

Where did I say that letting people live how they want would fix the economy or the climate?
I said I didn't care how they led their lives.
Any no one is forcing you to wear a dress or define your gender. You seem mad that others are allowed to do what you don't want to do.
I'm mad about the things that will actually harm the country, not policing societal norms.
I would say “my concerns” have a way-way-shorter fuse — and present far more realistic risks — than hand-wringing about “rising seas” and all of that. The meteorology folks can’t accurately predict the weather this Friday, but the climate nuts are confident we’ll all be underwater 5,000 (or more) years from now. :)

Nice. Second hand account story from the daily beast. Seems legit. DOJ decided not to charge him per CNN.

Not saying he didn’t do it but I would think if they had evidence on him they would use it.
Feel free to google if you want to defend him. Fact is he wrote checks to the girl in question and his buddy he was texted with was indicted.

I would say “my concerns” have a way-way-shorter fuse — and present far more realistic risks — than hand-wringing about “rising seas” and all of that. The meteorology folks can’t accurately predict the weather this Friday, but the climate nuts are confident we’ll all be underwater 5,000 (or more) years from now. :)
If you think that LGBTQ people are a bigger threat than climate change we have zero common ground to more forward with.

His alleged partner in crime — Joel Greenberg — ended up turning over WAY less damaging evidence than had been “promised.” Imagine that.

Beyond that, there is an implicit wink-wink agreement among thieves/politicians that outing each other’s “inappropriate personal behavior” is a REALLY BAD AND DANGEROUS idea. Gaetz is a dirtball, but he has a REALLY good lawyer. After some preliminary cards were shown, “DOJ” (i.e., the Biden administration) decided that chasing this relatively low-level scumbag was not worth the collateral risks. So it all quietly goes away. Nice system, huh?

Are you asked to adapt to or just to accept these WILD EXTREMES? Who decides what a legitimate difference is? Why should your discomfort with how people live affect HOW they live….or for that matter how you live?

Are you asked to adapt to or just to accept these WILD EXTREMES? Who decides what a legitimate difference is? Why should your discomfort with how people live affect HOW they live….or for that matter how you live?
I would say we are forced to accept the wild extremes. Call “bullsh*t” on it — as we often should — and you will be labeled a hater, bigot, intolerant, homophobic, whatever. The radical media puts that on the front page, and you are done. So most responsible people with lots to lose just quietly play along, with 80% of us privately saying to each other “this is ridiculous.” The hyper-vocal minority IS NOT the mainstream, although the media portrays otherwise.

The lines are not always clear. But that should not be a reason to have no lines at all. But that is basically where we are today. Anything goes. We need to get back to some modicum or reason and basic common sense. Until someone makes that happen, what is next?? Beastiality? Relations with kids? Why are those perversions not “a legitimate difference” (your words)? See…..where oh where do we draw that “oh-so-difficult” line???

Get real. At some point common sense and the reasonable man standard each need to prevail. They both served us well for a LONG damned time.

I would say we are forced to accept the wild extremes. Call “bullsh*t” on it — as we often should — and you will be labeled a hater, bigot, intolerant, homophobic, whatever. The radical media puts that on the front page, and you are done. So most responsible people with lots to lose just quietly play along, with 80% of us privately saying to each other “this is ridiculous.” The hyper-vocal minority IS NOT the mainstream, although the media portrays otherwise.

The lines are not always clear. But that should not be a reason to have no lines at all. But that is basically where we are today. Anything goes. We need to get back to some modicum or reason and basic common sense. Until someone makes that happen, what is next?? Beastiality? Relations with kids? Why are those perversions not “a legitimate difference” (your words)? See…..where oh where do we draw that “oh-so-difficult” line???

Get real. At some point common sense and the reasonable man standard each need to prevail. They both served us well for a LONG damned time.
No one is preventing you from being a bigot - it's your right to be who you are, it's not like Tennessee.

It wouldn’t allow me to read the article.

Growing up it was always repeated that the SAT benefited wealthy families due to them being able to afford the test prep, tutoring, resources, having the available time to prep, and access to testing centers.

Now not having the SAT is bad for poor students?

I can’t keep up anymore.
People of my generation did not have SAT prep It didn't exist

All through my school days, everyone took standardized tests, no matter the background. There was no prep. I always preferred the ACT as a testing mechanism because it measured what you had learned.

I was lucky enough to have been in DOD since the 4th grade. DOD didn't differentiate by class. We were all BRATS, that's the way it was. I could have only been classified as in a good "class' in grades 1-3. From then on it was all of us together, officer and nco kids and teacher expectations were the same for all of us

Yes, we knew there was a socio-economic difference, but it is far less overseas. We had small classes and the teachers always were very well aware of who we were.

Reactions: fsufool and DFSNOLE
My nephew makes six figures as some kind of manager for Ben Franklin Plumbing.
I got out of FSU with a degree in accounting and got a divorce all in about a year. I had a bad attitude towards life for a while and ended up working for a construction company that I played ball for. My physician father wasn't very happy with that. He softened on his stance when I started my first company and was suddenly proud when I got my CGC license. Having a company with 50+ employees was alright.
He was kind of a snob.
Our parents tended to be like this. Both my parents weren't "kind of a snob", they were snobs, but my mother went to college on a scholarship, and my dad worked all the time and the AF finally paid for his Masters.
But, my grandparents went to college. My grandfather was the oldest. He went to Southern, came home and worked so the next one to go. (there were 10). After the ball got rolling three of the brothers went to Emory Theological School. Education was valued above all else in my family. He was later the chaplain for Huntingdon.

And BTW, even my great-grandparents went to college. I was once harassed by some fellow teachers that were Ivy leaguers, they were disrespecting Southerners, and I got a bit hot under the collar. They made a blanket statement that one of my students would never succeed because he was going to Wake, and in the South all they day was watch NASCAR, drink beer and smoke cigarettes. Well, you can imagine that did not fly with me. One later apologized, the other went to the principal and complained that I had been mean to him, whiny Columbia grad.

Oh and said student that would never amount to much because he was from NC, got his PhD from MIT in AI. I loved that kid and his parents. The coolest day for me was when Dustin's step-father from NC, came to school and laid out the principal in lavender, with a heavy southern accent. I loved every minute of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT