ADVERTISEMENT

Why football is so boring...

mother of god, the end of the first half for the Saints vs. Falcons game was a lecture of rules. I appreciate that football and all of its many rules, delays, timeouts, etc. pull at our Puritan heart strings...but the sport is terrible

Basketball is worse with timeouts, replay reviews, intentional fouling.

I recall a Maryland game (they were still in the ACC at that time) that was on before one of our games was to come on TV. It was 2:55 with the game to start at 3 PM. There were 28 seconds. Game will get over in plenty of time I thought. At 3:11 the game ended. Sixteen minutes to play 28 seconds. That was absurd.

Mrs BFT hates the end of NBA games more so because as she says, two minutes left in the game? It will over in 30 minutes.

Basketball is worse with timeouts, replay reviews, intentional fouling.

I recall a Maryland game (they were still in the ACC at that time) that was on before one of our games was to come on TV. It was 2:55 with the game to start at 3 PM. There were 28 seconds. Game will get over in plenty of time I thought. At 3:11 the game ended. Sixteen minutes to play 28 seconds. That was absurd.

Mrs BFT hates the end of NBA games more so because as she says, two minutes left in the game? It will over in 30 minutes.

The longest minute in sports is the final minute in a close basketball game.

That's why both college and nba have both reduced team time outs in the game with the hopes of ending these endless last 2 minutes. I have often said the best part of a good close basketball is from the 6-7 minute time down to about 2 minutes left.

That's why both college and nba have both reduced team time outs in the game with the hopes of ending these endless last 2 minutes. I have often said the best part of a good close basketball is from the 6-7 minute time down to about 2 minutes left.

To be fair, its mostly the endless intentional fouling, not timeouts. Burn 3 seconds for 4 minutes of shooting 2 free throws. Not sure how to regulate that.

To be fair, its mostly the endless intentional fouling, not timeouts. Burn 3 seconds for 4 minutes of shooting 2 free throws. Not sure how to regulate that.

Give the fouled team the option of keeping the ball or shooting the free throws. It's ridiculous that a team can win a game based on their ability to commit fouls and shoot free throws. It would be like the NFL deciding games on dueling field goals or soccer with their shootouts. And the ability for force a field goal or a shoot out depended on how often the opposing team fouled you.

I remember Phi Slamma Jamma (Houston Cougars) in the early 80s who were the superior team to NC but lost (like Miami to Penn State in football, but Penn State couldn't foul Miami to get the ball back). The NC victory was a result of an intentional foul.

Last edited:
Every sport has its close game theatrics.

Football has timeouts, fake injuries, icing kickers
Baseball with multiple pitching changes, throws to first, stepping out of the batter's box to rearrange testicles.
Bball w/ the fouling, substitutions, and official replays

Soccer may actually be one of the few sports that ends within 4 mins of when expected 100% of the time (excluding overtime matches in tournament play).

Soccer may actually be one of the few sports that ends within 4 mins of when expected 100% of the time (excluding overtime matches in tournament play).

How can you say that considering soccer is so clearly inferior ? And even if they got it right, that was by accident and should get no credit.

Give the fouled team the option of keeping the ball or shooting the free throws. It's ridiculous that a team can win a game based on their ability to commit fouls and shoot free throws. It would be like the NFL deciding games on dueling field goals or soccer with their shootouts. And the ability for force a field goal or a shoot out depended on how often the opposing team fouled you.

I remember Phi Slamma Jamma (Houston Cougars) in the early 80s who were the superior team to NC but lost (like Miami to Penn State in football, but Penn State couldn't foul Miami to get the ball back). The NC victory was a result of an intentional foul.
Are free throws not part of the game? Make them and the strategy doesn't work.

On Saturday, BC beat Duke in part because they made all their free throws down the stretch.

Are free throws not part of the game? Make them and the strategy doesn't work.

On Saturday, BC beat Duke in part because they made all their free throws down the stretch.

Well yes it's part of the game. Of course. But it's not right for a team to get your ass kicked up and down the court and then intentionally force the other team into a free throw contest. Not a big deal to me since I hardly watch basketball .

The equivalent would be forcing a football team into a field goal attempt with loss of possession by intentionally fouling them.

I don't know if football is boring; but I noticed a couple of decades ago when I started playing rugby that the games take forever. When I started playing and watching rugby and then watched football I realized I cold get a ton of other things done while a football game was on; not so much when a rugby game was on.

I don't know if football is boring; but I noticed a couple of decades ago when I started playing rugby that the games take forever. When I started playing and watching rugby and then watched football I realized I cold get a ton of other things done while a football game was on; not so much when a rugby game was on.

Big part of why I record the game and start watching at half time. Drives my brother crazy to not watch live, I just can't stand the block of time. I don't do this to the big games, but its a big advantage that soccer has over football.

When you think about it football is an absurdly slow and tedious sport.

Example: Whole drives are spent with no goal other than to win "the battle of field position" and hope that eventually someone else falters into you scoring because you lack the faith in your offense to be able generate points on its own.

All the while there's a 30 second stoppage in play every 12 seconds in addition to stoppages for referees to enforce extremely technical and complex rules every 5-6 plays.

I love the sport but can't help but wonder why when I step back and assess it for what it is, a slow, plodding, brutally violent sport. Beyond the relying on the bogus idea of tradition, I have no idea how it'll sustain itself through another generation or two.

Example: Whole drives are spent with no goal other than to win "the battle of field position" and hope that eventually someone else falters into you scoring because you lack the faith in your offense to be able generate points on its own.

All the while there's a 30 second stoppage in play every 12 seconds in addition to stoppages for referees to enforce extremely technical and complex rules every 5-6 plays.

I love the sport but can't help but wonder why when I step back and assess it for what it is, a slow, plodding, brutally violent sport. Beyond the relying on the bogus idea of tradition, I have no idea how it'll sustain itself through another generation or two.
If I was an nfl owner, I’d certainly be looking to sell my franchise now.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Go stick your head in the sand. I eat your babies in oversized omelettes.
I will just make more babies.

giphy.gif

I think the brutality of it and the identity formation around your team keeping it's players for entire careers helped propel it to where it was. There was also that defiant idea of this is something that only America can do. They've legislated the brutality out of it and players and owners now just approach it as business without any loyalty to the fans. With players moving around as often as they do, it makes it hard to feel like that's your team any more. You just start rooting for a jersey over players (That's not an issue that College has due to so many fans being alums and it trading on something other than just loyalty).

I definitely think it's hit its peak and is on the way down. Where it lands I don't know.

Anyone else watching this epic Colts vs. Broncos clash? Call me old-fashioned, but this Madden-inspired camera angle is bothersome to me.

8be64bbbd0dfcd0e2a8626a91e81658df7711d93c336e4fb0d44be36899ca249.jpg

The funny thing about soccer is that there's a fairly hefty partisan divide over the love of the sports based on some studies. The strongly conservative crowd tends to hate it while liberals are far more likely to love soccer. It is funny as I have noticed my attitude towards soccer change as my political beliefs did. I used to be in the football is awesome, soccer is the worst sport in the world crowd when I was a staunch conservative. As my beliefs have slid more towards liberalism I've also found that my acceptance of the sport began to grow until I now love the sport.

Social Scientists theorize that Conservatives hate it because it is such a global sport and are far more apt to enjoy sports that only America excels at or invented. There's a bend towards an automatic hatred of soccer because of it's global appeal (And also because we're not naturally the best).

Liberals tend to like the sport more for those same reasons and are slowly distancing themselves from football because of it's more brutal/violent nature. Liberals think globalism is a good thing, are less likely to be America first, and also more open to changing ideas and embracing things such as sports that are not traditionally strong.

I'm not making an argument as to which is which (And there's obviously some conservatives who love it and some liberals who hate it) I just find it an interesting case study on how our tribal identities shape so many things that we enjoy.

Now, as for soccer in general; I think it's like any sport. If you don't understand how the sport works, how plays unfold, how momentum swings, how strategies are in play then it's going to seem like a bunch of idiots just kicking a ball around and faking injuries. I think the same is true as football. You try to get someone who doesn't understand football to watch it and they're going to say it's boring, constant stoppage, too complex, etc... If they take some time with people who truly understand the sport to explain how the game works, and if they can build an allegiance to a team they often become converts.

That's the same with soccer. The more I learn about the game (And I'm still at a very low level of understanding) the more I love it. And truth be told if the only soccer you're watching is youth soccer or MLS (Even though I'm a big MLS fan) you're going to hate it. When the game is played at a high level, it can be absolutely beautiful to watch plays develop and move. When Spain was at their height a while back, their play style of quick/precise passes that tore defenses apart and moved quickly was some of the most amazing soccer I'd ever seen and one of the most amazing things I'd ever watched in sports.

There is truth to the politics of soccer fans versus those who don't like soccer. You are also spot on as to why-- a global game appeals to liberals. Conservatives would rather stay with US sports or at least sports that the US dominates.
As someone who is middle of the road politically (leaning more to the left lately) it used to frustrate me that politics would be thrown into the discussions of soccer fans on Big Soccer message board seemingly all the time. I've come to ignore it now. I still hold the perspective that I watch sports to get away from the political nonsense.

Meanwhile, I too fell in love with soccer over the years. It became my favorite sport but heading the ball has me bothered lately. I've read where heading the ball is considered to be a "sub concussive hit" to the head which causes CTE.

The funny thing is I don't think soccer needs heading outside the 18. I see a GK punt the ball 50 years towards midfield and a MF'er heads the ball which goes directly to the other team. He would have been better off trapping the ball with his chest. Ugh. I'm glad the US banned heading for kids. The world will say that is an example of why the US is terrible at soccer.
I read there is a respected English medical facility that is starting a 2-3 year study on heading, subconcussions and CTE. Going to be interesting but I expect the result to not be good. It's common sense...

Last edited:
I think your attention spans are just shortening. There have been fantastic NFL games all year long this season. The Pittsburgh/Ravens game on Monday was great.

Watching the NFL if often like watching FSU basketball....there is very little quality play, but if your team wins you're happy.

I think your attention spans are just shortening. There have been fantastic NFL games all year long this season. The Pittsburgh/Ravens game on Monday was great.

I've gotten so frustrated with it that I rarely give it time.

I'll also admit to that being somewhat due to also having my personal team be both terrible and almost never on tv where I live. As a Bucs fan living in Pensacola, it's a Saint's love affair here all day, all long. I'm excited to have a chance watch us lose tonight however. lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT