ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

Think Mack has some good stuff. She was not afraid to go inside. However they were getting some good hits off of her. She will need to get better help up the middle if she is going to start. Like...nay love her coming in for an inning or two in a closer role this year.
She has velocity. She has good drop on her pitches. If Coacha can teach her a slider or screw ball that is a zone possibility then she could be a real starter candidate. IF SHE COMES BACK

Need to sit Muffley and Kerr on the bench with their hitting. Kerr has a bad attitude like she doesn’t care. And Wacaser has done any better. Let someone off the bench play. Heck Ross had a very good abat when she got in

Need to sit Muffley and Kerr on the bench with their hitting. Kerr has a bad attitude like she doesn’t care. And Wacaser has done any better. Let someone off the bench play. Heck Ross had a very good abat when she got in
Good points and I concur

Disagree on Muffley well until last night. Her bat has never been her main contribution. She is normally very solid up the middle. She had some headscratchers last night. Would have liked to see Brooke out there at the very least for 1 AB. I think Muffley will rebound this weekend though.

Kerr...I do not know what to think. Did that leg injury really mess her up this much?!? She was one of the freshmen bright spots last year and then went down with the knee. Do not know how the knee injury would impact pitch selection or reaction after K-ing. First K catcher drops the ball and she's nonchalantly walking back to the dugout. Frustrating for sure.

Reactions: ParooKid and cnole1
Disagree on Muffley well until last night. Her bat has never been her main contribution. She is normally very solid up the middle. She had some headscratchers last night. Would have liked to see Brooke out there at the very least for 1 AB. I think Muffley will rebound this weekend though.

Kerr...I do not know what to think. Did that leg injury really mess her up this much?!? She was one of the freshmen bright spots last year and then went down with the knee. Do not know how the knee injury would impact pitch selection or reaction after K-ing. First K catcher drops the ball and she's nonchalantly walking back to the dugout. Frustrating for sure.
Injuries do effect players differently. Leg injuries can change plate posture and maybe swing plane. Not sure but it would be nice if she got out of her funk. If not my vote is move on to Ross-- but hey I am just a fan and do not get a vote.

I think coach favors Muffley which is why she plays. All coaches have favorites, every sport.

I don't know Kerr, but I suspect she's very frustrated with herself.
She has great potential. Hopefully by next year, her legs/knees will be
back to normal and she can go.
She just needs to learn the strike zone.
I think that is something that CAN be taught!

I think coach favors Muffley which is why she plays. All coaches have favorites, every sport.
Remember back to the beginning of the season when Coacha went to Brooke. Muffley then upped her offensive game and was batting 750 at one point. Brooke was batting better at the time. Then, they started alternating some. Recently it's been all Muffley and Muffley's offense has tanked. Time to go back to the opening of the season and let Muffley earn her spot.

With regard to Kerr, I was sitting between home plate and the dugout so I don't know if anyone said anything to her after the strikeout. But whether it was going back out into the field afterwards, or not starting tomorrow, I would get the point across that performance is one thing but effort needs to always be there as a Seminole.

To be a strike it has to 'clip' the plate in the zone in the eyes of the umpire, this guy was mostly consistent on the 3rd base side of the plate but he miss several off the plate called strikes on the 1st base side.
Thanks ,I really appreciate the explanation! I will now watch balls and strikes with a different eye. You are absolutely right about the first base side. It was really very obvious, and I felt he was giving calls to the other team we were not getting. I was so damn proud of our Ladies, that it felt like we had won a championship!

Did anyone else notice that the camera system in Gainesville was very very good. The number and definition was outstanding. Much better than anywhere else we have had broadcast -- even Clearwater in my mind. Don't know what system and numbers they have but it looked like it would be good to have. JMHO
I noticed right off the bat, and told my wife I wish we had pictures and camera work like what I was seeing. It was very good!

Reactions: ParooKid
Thanks ,I really appreciate the explanation! I will now watch balls and strikes with a different eye. You are absolutely right about the first base side. It was really very obvious, and I felt he was giving calls to the other team we were not getting. I was so damn proud of our Ladies, that it felt like we had won a championship!
As I said above it is any part of the ball on any part of the plate in the Zone -- softball zones are the most diverse on the planet (up-down). Some umpires almost call the shoe tops and others call the upper knee-- just a big diversity - same with the top-- I have seen some umpires lower the belt line a lot. So-- Just have to adjust as called.

Reactions: cnole1
Remember back to the beginning of the season when Coacha went to Brooke. Muffley then upped her offensive game and was batting 750 at one point. Brooke was batting better at the time. Then, they started alternating some. Recently it's been all Muffley and Muffley's offense has tanked. Time to go back to the opening of the season and let Muffley earn her spot.

With regard to Kerr, I was sitting between home plate and the dugout so I don't know if anyone said anything to her after the strikeout. But whether it was going back out into the field afterwards, or not starting tomorrow, I would get the point across that performance is one thing but effort needs to always be there as a Seminole.
I think we will look back in later years and say-- "why did we not play that player earlier-she is really good"-- Just like Mudge. If you look at last year you might reminisce and say "I wonder what we would have done if we had Edenfield catching at the WS"-- I do think we need to expand our options now and see who gets hot.

Something must be in Kerr's head, and it's not good. Harding has really improved this year in pitch selection, so it can be done. I would take a look at Ross in Center. She seems to have her head in the game.

Florida Champs, so far.

We definitely need more production out of the bottom third of the line-up if we are to make a long run in the tourney. I also think Ross needs to be part of the change!

Reactions: squiffynole
I think we will look back in later years and say-- "why did we not play that player earlier-she is really good"-- Just like Mudge. If you look at last year you might reminisce and say "I wonder what we would have done if we had Edenfield catching at the WS"-- I do think we need to expand our options now and see who gets hot.
The extra Covid year provided to last year's seniors had an obvious impact. There is no way (last year) Coacha would have sat two catchers who were ahead of Edenfield. In fairness, who knows how ready Edenfield would have been a year sooner? That's why I was impressed that ss and catcher went to underclassmen to start the season. In both centerfield and ss, there is still work to be done by all involved. I really had high hopes for Culp and Waycaser, as well as Blankenship coming into the season. But like others have mentioned, Ross may deserve the next shot.

On another subject, did anyone see LoPreste at the Florida game? I was there and didn't see her.

Reactions: FletchCC
The extra Covid year provided to last year's seniors had an obvious impact. There is no way (last year) Coacha would have sat two catchers who were ahead of Edenfield. In fairness, who knows how ready Edenfield would have been a year sooner? That's why I was impressed that ss and catcher went to underclassmen to start the season. In both centerfield and ss, there is still work to be done by all involved. I really had high hopes for Culp and Waycaser, as well as Blankenship coming into the season. But like others have mentioned, Ross may deserve the next shot.

On another subject, did anyone see LoPreste at the Florida game? I was there and didn't see her.
Good question about LoPreste - I'd have to think she'd be one to transfer with 51 and the 88 kid as the backup.

The Noles are 20-0 this year when Away or on a Neutral field. All of our wins against ranked teams have been away from Tallahassee. We are 16-2 at Home. Let's turn that home field advantage in the direction it should be this weekend with 3 huge wins. There is no reason not to be pumped from the beginning against Va Tech.

Well, that was a kick in the cajones. Edenfield needs to constantly work on her throws to second base. She consistently throws high and to her right. Runners are sliding right under the tags. Her footwork needs adjusting, also.

Kerr just can't stand the pressure. Get two strikes on her and she will go for anything outside and low to the ground. I told my wife before her last at bat to watch her because there was no pressure on her at that point so she will hit the ball. Result...a shot to right centerfield for a double. For right now, she is just a wasted out. A change, even if temporary, needs to be made.

I also felt Kat should have been relieved an inning an a half before she gave up the losing hits. I'm going on record right now and calling for the hitting coach to be replaced. There were in-game adjustments to to be made to that gals pitching style that would have led to us bombing the hell out of her, but alas, none were made. We have faced much better than her and the results were quiet different. I have never been happy with his approach to hitting.

That's the last of my whining for the year. You will not hear another one the rest of the year. I'm very happy with the team and coaching staff as a whole, so that's my one and only. Jeez, I just realized I'm too involved with this team. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: FletchCC
I will swap Muffley defense for hitting as Blankenship has not out hit or out played her. The ball took an bad hop that went over her glove and between her legs. Unfortunate the next batter hit. She made three outstanding plays after that. Not sure Brooke as them

Kerr needs something but not sure what. Maybe the double will get her started.

Let's see how we coach and play today and tomorrow, how we react. This is still a really good team, you can't win them all against other good teams.

Look how close Flaherty's triple was an HR to win it.

I suppose the coach would say that she is trying to let Kerr play out of her slump. However watching her in person the last two games, I think the reverse is happening. Not running out the third strike in Gainesville, and last night on her last strikeout before the hit, I can't say I have ever seen someone do a 360 degree pirouette swinging strikeout. If I am an outfielder on the bench I'm wondering why I don't get a chance.

We are seeing the shortcoming of Lonni's freshman pitcher recruiting.
Not one single stud since Sandercock and Herzog.
I'm sorry. Not trying to hurt any players' feelings, but it's the truth.
This is on Lonni who is arguably the best pitching coach out there!
There is no excuse for not recruiting a top 10 national pitcher at least every other year.
This team still has potential.

Plain and simple, yesterday and today, they were a better team than us, and I'm not sure about tomorrow. There was a disturbing fact that emerged from these two games. That team put the bat on the ball consistently and constantly. Get two strikes on them, no problem, they hammered the hell out of the third strike. We (our pitching) could not control their batters, but they, for the most part, controlled ours. I seldom, if ever, have ever seen such bat contact in a game. From the first pitch to the last, they made solid contact bat to ball.

I remain firmly convinced we have the wrong approach to hitting and I will leave it at that.

Last edited:
Reactions: FletchCC and cnole1
Perhaps not top 10. 🙁 We were ranked 3rd in espn poll, but 5th in the NCAA poll.

We need to win tomorrow. Bad enough to be humiliated today, but to be swept tomorrow too would be terrible.
Massive game tomorrow...As big as it gets during the regular season IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT