ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

Sunday's game is where you start coming back. Our ladies could have given up down 11 0 but did not and they won't today.

Easy to support team when all is great, they need us now more than ever.

Let's Go Noles

Absolutely!

GO NOLES!

We are seeing the shortcoming of Lonni's freshman pitcher recruiting.
Not one single stud since Sandercock and Herzog.
I'm sorry. Not trying to hurt any players' feelings, but it's the truth.
This is on Lonni who is arguably the best pitching coach out there!
There is no excuse for not recruiting a top 10 national pitcher at least every other year.
This team still has potential.
Several (me included ) have said this for the last 2 years - no relief in sight either. Even if Kat and Leonard come back we will need several years worth of portal help.

In true Nole fashion, these young ladies fought like two wildcats with only one tree between them today, and salvaged what could have been a disastrous week-end.😇

Reactions: NoleLizards
Several (me included ) have said this for the last 2 years - no relief in sight either. Even if Kat and Leonard come back we will need several years worth of portal help.

I've asked a few years in a row, why it is we struggle to bring in a top notch pitcher? Coacha seems like a great coach, and she's the pitching coach. FSU is a top program. Maybe not OSU or UCLA history, but recent history. And we sure seem to take care of the SEC when we play them. So why don't we get more excellent pitchers?

Reactions: FletchCC
I've asked a few years in a row, why it is we struggle to bring in a top notch pitcher? Coacha seems like a great coach, and she's the pitching coach. FSU is a top program. Maybe not OSU or UCLA history, but recent history. And we sure seem to take care of the SEC when we play them. So why don't we get more excellent pitchers?

The one's she gets are real good, they just aren't great. Megan King was sweet....

Reactions: Noles61
The one's she gets are real good, they just aren't great. Megan King was sweet....
She’s had a fairly consistent tendency to redshirt freshman pitchers. It may well be that very few recruits are willing to go that route. This is a speculative observation, not a criticism. Her record here speaks for itself.

Plain and simple, yesterday and today, they were a better team than us, and I'm not sure about tomorrow. There was a disturbing fact that emerged from these two games. That team put the bat on the ball consistently and constantly. Get two strikes on them, no problem, they hammered the hell out of the third strike. We (our pitching) could not control their batters, but they, for the most part, controlled ours. I seldom, if ever, have ever seen such bat contact in a game. From the first pitch to the last, they made solid contact bat to ball.

I remain firmly convinced we have the wrong approach to hitting and I will leave it at that.
So you think we are teaching them to swing at balls and let strikes go by? It isn’t the coach. I promise he is doing all he can to make them successful. He can’t hit for them. You are evaluating on your perspective on our results (as we all should) but the fault may be more than coaching- it always is

Reactions: jgking83
She’s had a fairly consistent tendency to redshirt freshman pitchers. It may well be that very few recruits are willing to go that route. This is a speculative observation, not a criticism. Her record here speaks for itself.
This is a chicken and egg anology. They are being red shirted because they do not seem capable to start as freshman! She is currently recruiting several who can come in and dominate from day 1 - we will see

Last edited:
1. Oklahoma went 4 0 this week 35 - 0
2. UCLA went 1 - 2 this week lost 2 to Stanford 32 - 5
3. FSU went 2 - 2 this week lost 2 to VT 37 - 4
4. Virginia Tech went 2 - 2 lost to FSU and UCF 29 - 5
5. Alabama went 2 - 0 with Monday game against UF 33 - 5
6. Northwestern went 3 - 1 lost to ND 27 - 6
7 Oklahoma State went 3 - 1 lost to Iowa State 31 - 7
8. Florida so far 0 - 2 lost to FSU and Ala and has 2 more with Bama 30 - 8
9. Duke went 4 - 0 to go to 32 - 5
10 Arkansas went 4 - 0 to go 28 - 7

So if FSU is not top 5 then who are the five better teams.

I can see (edited with Bama win over Florida
1. Oklahoma
2. Virginia Tech
3. Alabama
4. UCLA
5. FSU
6. Northwestern
7. Okie State
8. Duke
9 Arkansas
10. Arizona State

Last edited:
This is not necessary- we just need to remain in the top 8 to earn a Super. Winning 2 of 4 this week from top 5 teams is not a bad look .

5. Alabama went 1 - 0 Tied now with UF and game tomorrow 32 - 5

I can see
1. Oklahoma
2. Virginia Tech
3. FSU
4. UCLA
5. Alabama
6. Northwestern
7. Okie State
8. Duke
9 Arkansas
10. Florida
At the end of the year we just need to be in the top 8

Any LoPreste sightings this weekend by anyone?
Nope.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

5. Alabama went 1 - 0 Tied now with UF and game tomorrow 32 - 5

I can see
1. Oklahoma
2. Virginia Tech
3. FSU
4. UCLA
5. Alabama
6. Northwestern
7. Okie State
8. Duke
9 Arkansas
10. Florida
Go Bama...Love seeing the sad faces in the crowd wearing ghastly orange and blue.

Super Regional Hosts if this week

Big 12 Oklahoma and either OKie State or Texas (helps FSU a lot if FSU can sweep Pokes)
PAC 12 UCLA and possible ASU but must keep winning
Big 10 Maybe Northwestern unless they fade
ACC - VT, FSU and/or Duke (if Pac 12 only get 1 and Big 10 gets none)
SEC - Alabama and whoever gets hot to end season

SEC is going to have maybe 2 teams in top 8 but also 5 or 6 more given regional. After Alabama there is not a dominating SEC team but they don't all play in conference but again like last year the committee will award them seeds they don't deserve.

Right now Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, Auburn get regional hosts and maybe one gets a Super.

This is a chicken and egg anology. They are being red shirted because they do not seem capable to start as freshman! She is currently recruiting several who can come in and dominate from day 1 - we will see
I’m just going on my past observations. Burroughs redshirted, Megan King redshirted, Kat redshirted, Kyle Hanson came in as a graduate transfer but as a freshman turned Lonnie down because she didn’t want to redshirt. I hope your right about current recruits that will start from day 1, but none in the past come to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: squiffynole
So you think we are teaching them to swing at balls and let strikes go by? It isn’t the coach. I promise he is doing all he can to make them successful. He can’t hit for them. You are evaluating on your perspective on our results (as we all should) but the fault may be more than coaching- it always is
New message. The other one was too long and too involved.

Answer...Nah, they just need to up their plate aggression and have Syd add a little loft to her swing.

Last edited:
Reactions: FletchCC
I don't think Sandercock or Herzog redshirted b/c they were ready to compete.
Since then no pitching recruit she signed has been ACC quality.
Now this girl Morgan kendrick is redshirting and it's too early to proclaim she's not ACC quality.
The point is Coacha should get a top 10 or even Top 5 pitching prospect at least every other year.
Maybe Sandercock comes back and that transfer DuBois is good!
I think one of the two pitchers we signed has stats that make her look promising, but not sure she is highly rated.
Having Lemley has helped Rochard IMO!

5. Alabama went 2 - 0 with Monday game against UF 33 - 5

I can see (edited with Bama win over Florida
1. Oklahoma
2. Virginia Tech
3. Alabama
4. UCLA
5. FSU
6. Northwestern
7. Okie State
8. Duke
9 Arkansas
10. Arizona State
Good rankings. My only change would be us at 4 and UCLA at 5. We split 2-2 with 2 top 10 teams. UCLA was 1-2 to RV Stanford.
JMHO
OU and VT definitely deserve 1 and 2.

Now this girl Morgan kendrick is redshirting and it's too early to proclaim she's not ACC quality.
The point is Coacha should get a top 10 or even Top 5 pitching prospect at least every other year.
I think one of the two pitchers we signed has stats that make her look promising, but not sure she is highly rated.
Herzog did not redshirt but was used primarily as outfielder and hitter. Kat redshirted.

Sandercock and Herzog came in during 18/19. Neither redshirted. Sandercock was (I believe was the 2nd pitcher to Meghan) a pitcher. Herzog was both a pitcher and fielder. KS is a true senior this year and can opt to come back due to the COVID year. I just looked this up on seminoles.com and went back to 18/19.

As to this team, they aren't perfect, but are a lot stronger IMO than last year's variety that was 6 outs from a natty.
VT looks stronger than us. Their 2nd pitcher is stronger than ours, and their hitting is better in the bottom third making them stronger there.
OU looks deserving of the #1 ranking.
That said, we came 1 inch from taking 2/3 from VT. Flaherty's triple to dead center was over the fence with one more inch, or 20 feet to either the left or right.
We were outclassed yesterday, but there is no team we cannot beat.
Who gets hot? Do DW and KZ bring their "A" games?

Reactions: charliemims

Perhaps she can add one or two from the portal next go round.

Sandercock and Herzog came in during 18/19. Neither redshirted. Sandercock was (I believe was the 2nd pitcher to Meghan) a pitcher. Herzog was both a pitcher and fielder. KS is a true senior this year and can opt to come back due to the COVID year. I just looked this up on seminoles.com and went back to 18/19.

As to this team, they aren't perfect, but are a lot stronger IMO than last year's variety that was 6 outs from a natty.
VT looks stronger than us. Their 2nd pitcher is stronger than ours, and their hitting is better in the bottom third making them stronger there.
OU looks deserving of the #1 ranking.
That said, we came 1 inch from taking 2/3 from VT. Flaherty's triple to dead center was over the fence with one more inch, or 20 feet to either the left or right.
We were outclassed yesterday, but there is no team we cannot beat.
Who gets hot? Do DW and KZ bring their "A" games?

I like your your one inch theory, I didn't think of it that way.

Super Regional Hosts if this week

Big 12 Oklahoma and either OKie State or Texas (helps FSU a lot if FSU can sweep Pokes)
PAC 12 UCLA and possible ASU but must keep winning
Big 10 Maybe Northwestern unless they fade
ACC - VT, FSU and/or Duke (if Pac 12 only get 1 and Big 10 gets none)
SEC - Alabama and whoever gets hot to end season

SEC is going to have maybe 2 teams in top 8 but also 5 or 6 more given regional. After Alabama there is not a dominating SEC team but they don't all play in conference but again like last year the committee will award them seeds they don't deserve.

Right now Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, Auburn get regional hosts and maybe one gets a Super.
If the gaders keep losing, you think they are locked up for one? Just askin'.

DuBois was three time conference pitcher of the year, or something like that.
You'd think putting up 20 runs in a 3 game series would yield better results. Hats off to VT for coming out and taking it to us. Proud of our ladies for fighting all weekend. Glad we got the W today. Go Noles! You'd think putting up 35 runs in 3 games would yield better results also.

Top 5-10 pitchers are available- we just need to get one in the top 10 every year and 1 in the top 5 every 3 years or so. I understand we are recruiting some ( or will offer) of these now. We will see.

D1 rankings are out. Probably what I expected after this weekend. Took a hit but not a big one.

1. Oklahoma
2. VT
3. Bama
4. FSU
5. UCLA

8. OK State (still play them thrice)
9. Duke
10. Uf (still play them once)

17. Clemson (still play them thrice)

D1 rankings are out. Probably what I expected after this weekend. Took a hit but not a big one.

1. Oklahoma
2. VT
3. Bama
4. FSU
5. UCLA

8. OK State (still play them thrice)
9. Duke
10. Uf (still play them once)

17. Clemson (still play them thrice)
A big thank you to Sydney Sherrill and Kathryn Sandercock, the team leaders saved the bacon yesterday.

Reactions: charliemims
Softball is a game of inches, Both Friday's and Sunday's game turned around numerous times on one play. A catch by Harding on the called inside the park HR was so close to an out and no runs.

Hats off to VT for Satuday's win but again what happens if instead of the 4th inning the VT pitcher starts getting called for illegal pitches in the first inning. That's another completely different story.

Our ladies never quit, as Lonnie said there was three run rule games just in that one game. Sunday the team hit VT's ace pitcher. All in all teams will have great day or a bad day, Saturday was just when both happened in the same game.

With the ACC schedule the top 4 teams missed playing against each other so the ACC Tournament will be huge. It is almost certain VT and Duke will finish 1 and 2 with FSU and ND finishing 3 and 4, just the order remains to be determined.

It is kind of a weird schedule that only FSU and VT played each other at the top of the acc standings. ND and Duke played one and rest were rained out.

Here is how they end it in the regular season:

VT: UVA (#6 in ACC), Louisville (#8), and at BC (#12)
Duke: at Syracuse (#11) and Pitt (#13)
ND: at Clemson (#5), UNC (#10), and Louisville (#8)
FSU: at UNC (#10), Clemson (#5) and at NC State (#9)

Duke has the easier route with only 6 games left against inferior competition. They lucked out avoiding ND I feel. VT-UVA could be interesting with it being a rivalry series. And Clemson could play spoiler for us or ND.

I do not like the ACC Softball championship format. Not sure how much seeding will come down to what happens at the ACC but would like a shot at Duke and another at VT prior to the selection show.

Speaking of tlhe near miss by Harding in right field, did she ever get her hands on the ball for a drop, or did she miss it all together? The tv shot I had was one that I couldn't tell.

RPI as of today: Already see the SEC bias as only conference with more than 7 losses is the SEC. Only 1 in top 8 but as the conference season goes on that bias will let another SEC team get to Super Regional with double the losses of other teams who should get a Super like LSU did last season.

1AlabamaSEC33-5
2OklahomaBig 1236-0
3Virginia TechACC29-5
4Florida St.ACC37-4
5UCLAPac-1232-5
6NorthwesternBig Ten27-6
7DukeACC32-5
8Oklahoma St.Big 1231-7
9TennesseeSEC26-12
10FloridaSEC30-9

RPI as of today: Already see the SEC bias as only conference with more than 7 losses is the SEC. Only 1 in top 8 but as the conference season goes on that bias will let another SEC team get to Super Regional with double the losses of other teams who should get a Super like LSU did last season.

1AlabamaSEC33-5
2OklahomaBig 1236-0
3Virginia TechACC29-5
4Florida St.ACC37-4
5UCLAPac-1232-5
6NorthwesternBig Ten27-6
7DukeACC32-5
8Oklahoma St.Big 1231-7
9TennesseeSEC26-12
10FloridaSEC30-9

Riddle me this. How is it that Alabama is above Oklahoma? And don't get me started on Tennessee with twelve, count them 12, losses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT