ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

To do list -

✔️Invest game time in Autumn Belviy, Amaya Ross and Katie Bright.

✔️Get Mack Leonard a sticky glove.

✔️Teach Michaela Edenfield there is more than one kind of swing.

✔️Train Brooke Blankenship to run down pop flies like Josie Muffley.

✔️Give Troy Cameron something to do during games.

😜
Crazy how many plays Muffley makes. Brooke is going to be solid. But Muffley is special in the field. Won’t comment on the others :)

To do list -

✔️Invest game time in Autumn Belviy, Amaya Ross and Katie Bright.

✔️Get Mack Leonard a sticky glove.

✔️Teach Michaela Edenfield there is more than one kind of swing.

✔️Train Brooke Blankenship to run down pop flies like Josie Muffley.

✔️Give Troy Cameron something to do during games.

😜
Funny stuff

Not for certain but Sandercock not honored during Seniors so she may be coming back.

Excerpt from Coaches Club email.

This weekend we will celebrate our Seniors & their families (Sydney Sherrill, Maegan Tomlinson & Danielle Watson).

At our Senior Sendoff we will recognize Kiersten Landers as she is transferring due to the COVID extra year (she will be playing at another school but ALWAYS considered our family to us).
What happened to Muffley (Listed as Senior)?

There are only 3 seniors graduating and exhausting their eligibility: Sherrill, Tomlinson and Watson. Only those three are being recognized on the field this weekend as well as a Senior Sendoff Luncheon Sunday.

• Love
Reactions: Noles61
Since Kat did not participate in Senior day, does this mean she's returning next year? Would be a fantastic boost if she were coming back.

Crazy how many plays Muffley makes. Brooke is going to be solid. But Muffley is special in the field. Won’t comment on the others :)

No way Muffley should be sitting. I totally disagree with this coaching decision.I realize she is no great shakes as a hitter, but her defense makes up for that, and her spirit can't be duplicated.

No way Muffley should be sitting. I totally disagree with this coaching decision.I realize she is no great shakes as a hitter, but her defense makes up for that, and her spirit can't be duplicated.
I'll share my opinion and that is all that it is, an opinion.
For the retreat to the outfield athletic catch, Muffley is unrivaled.
For the day to day balls to SS, Blankenship is more aggressive and has a better arm.
Muffley has a higher ceiling (spectacular plays) and a lower floor (Muffed chances)!
From stats at seminoles.com Muffley has 3 errors in 34 attempts. BB has 2 errors in 33 attempts.
As I alluded to, BB has a noticeably stronger arm. Neither one is lighting up the plate.

I'll share my opinion and that is all that it is, an opinion.
For the retreat to the outfield athletic catch, Muffley is unrivaled.
For the day to day balls to SS, Blankenship is more aggressive and has a better arm.
Muffley has a higher ceiling (spectacular plays) and a lower floor (Muffed chances)!
From stats at seminoles.com Muffley has 3 errors in 34 attempts. BB has 2 errors in 33 attempts.
As I alluded to, BB has a noticeably stronger arm. Neither one is lighting up the plate.

Agreed, except I believe Blankenship is only more aggressive on balls straight at her. Side to side and straight, back Muffley has it all over her. Now, Muffley tries to get fancy with her backhand on side to sides when it isn't necessary. I have seen her many times do a backhand when she has plenty of time to circle the ball and do a crow hop. Backhands look pretty, but invariably leave the fielder in a bad throwing position. Syd has mastered it at third base, Muffley has not, and like you say, she doesn't have the strongest of arms.

The shortstop/second base double play is the weakest of the lot. Neither Muffley, Blankenship, nor Flaratey (sp) do it correctly, mainly due to none of the three have mastered the underhanded throw to first, nor the bounce back and throw to first. It is a noticible weakness on our infield. We could have many more dp's if they could. That is on the coaching staff, as all of them have arms that could get it done. They just aren't coached to do, so in my opinion.

All of the above is, as you say, just a personal opinion, doesn't make it 100% correct, by any means.

Agreed, except I believe Blankenship is only more aggressive on balls straight at her. Side to side and straight, back Muffley has it all over her. Now, Muffley tries to get fancy with her backhand on side to sides when it isn't necessary. I have seen her many times do a backhand when she has plenty of time to circle the ball and do a crow hop. Backhands look pretty, but invariably leave the fielder in a bad throwing position. Syd has mastered it at third base, Muffley has not, and like you say, she doesn't have the strongest of arms.

The shortstop/second base double play is the weakest of the lot. Neither Muffley, Blankenship, nor Flaratey (sp) do it correctly, mainly due to none of the three have mastered the underhanded throw to first, nor the bounce back and throw to first. It is a noticible weakness on our infield. We could have many more dp's if they could. That is on the coaching staff, as all of them have arms that could get it done. They just aren't coached to do, so in my opinion.

All of the above is, as you say, just a personal opinion, doesn't make it 100% correct, by any means.
So Muffley has another year?

One of you guys who are tight with Coacha need to talk to her and report back on this thread. I love these ladies but even with their record I am becoming frustrated with players, who if they are getting help, don't show it!

Reactions: FletchCC
Wa

Way too critical in my mind for a top 2-3 defense in the country. Do they have flaws- YES. Is there room for improvement YES. I would not trade our infield. Losing Syd will be a major blow JMHO

I was pleased to see Blankenship, Ross, Belviy, Bright and Hartley all get some game time today and happy for Tomlison's brief moment.
How long was Tomlinson in? I couldnt tell from the broadcast. Thought it would have been nice to get an at bat for her at the end on sr day.

I’m pretty sure they are like third in the country in double plays turned.

Reactions: redsoxnole
Tomlinson was in the starting line up but was substituted for during the first at bat. She started in left field.

Also good to see CoachA is getting the pitching staff as a whole all different kinds of looks before the post season as you never know what situations they will be in. Also like yesterday starting Emma who gets a few outs at the beginning of the game is less outs Watson or Sandercock needs to get. Using Leonard to start is also a good move as it also gets another player experience in the outfield.
Not to mention it blows the mind of opposing coaches. LOL

It's becoming apparent that Coacha is more comfortable with BB's defense at short, b/c she is doing late-inning defensive replacements with BB in for Muffley.
I could be reading too much into it.
I am excited about the potential Amaya Ross brings to the table. We just need to find a position for her. Maybe Flaherty goes to 3B next year with Ross at 2B. Maybe she successfully transitions to the outfield. Kerr's bat is beginning to come around, but not her fielding. Again on Friday she takes a circuitous route to a high fly ball to left center and ultimately doesn't make it. She actually looks awkward running to it. Meanwhile their CFer makes a great catch on a scorching line drive going back and slightly to her left. (hit by Harding with the bases loaded and one out.) She then throws a dime to 2B to double up Syd on a rare base-running error. No way Jahni gets to that one, much less throws out the runner.
I haven't watched the games with this in mind, but I noticed 3 CFers who are head and shoulders better than ours.
The VT CFer would be my first choice, The Clemson and UF CFer are both waay better defensively.
Let's go get one of them! (meaning a CFer like those CFers. Of course if one of those hits the portal...)
Maybe Amaya or Autumn can make the move. Defense is the question for Amaya and offense for Autumn.

Last edited:
It's becoming apparent that Coacha is more comfortable with BB's defense at short, b/c she is doing late-inning defensive replacements with BB in for Muffley.
I could be reading too much into it.
I am excited about the potential Amaya Ross brings to the table. We just need to find a position for her. Maybe Flaherty goes to 3B next year with Ross at 2B. Maybe she successfully transitions to the outfield. Kerr's bat is beginning to come around, but not her fielding. Again on Friday she takes a circuitous route to a high fly ball to left center and ultimately doesn't make it. She actually looks awkward running to it. Meanwhile their CFer makes a great catch on a scorching line drive going back and slightly to her left. (hit by Harding with the bases loaded and one out.) She then throws a dime to 2B to double up Syd on a rare base-running error. No way Jahni gets to that one, much less throws out the runner.
I haven't watched the games with this in mind, but I noticed 3 CFers who are head and shoulders better than ours.
The VT CFer would be my first choice, The Clemson and UF CFer are both waay better defensively.
Let's go get one of them! (meaning a CFer like those CFers. Of course if one of those hits the portal...)
Maybe Amaya or Autumn can make the move. Defense is the question for Amaya and offense for Autumn.

Agree 100%.

I'm thinking Blankenship to third, Flaherty to SS.

Is there any history of Jah'ni on the infield? If so she might make the move to second base. On another note, I see her as a defensive liability anywhere they put her. She is as immobile as a statue. We need to replace her in centerfield for sure. Even if she could run fast, her inability to go up against the wall is appalling.

Reactions: FletchCC
As far as rankings go, Alabama lost the first 2 to A&M, so we should jump them.
I expect it to be OU, VT, UCLA, FSU, Arkansas

Isn't Hartly the only player besides Syd to play 3rd this season?

Unless Transfers occur, Harding goes to first, Muffley or Ross 2nd, Blankenship to ss, Flaherty to 3rd, Edenfield to catcher.

Outfield is Mudge, Kerr, Belviy.

Lose bats of Sherrill and Leonard and where is power come from to replace them?

Lanoles, Leonard was not honored at Senior day. It is assumed she will be back!

I'm watching Arky beat UF (up 2-0) top of 7. I kept noticing Arky BA being so high, so I looked at their season long stats.
Top 5 .462, .427., .417, .398, .369. Those same 5 hitters have 14, 16, 14, 10, 12 HRs.
Dang!

Reactions: squiffynole
You are right, but we still need more power from somewhere.

BTW, in the UF/Arky game, there were a lot of empty seats behind the plate. I think their fans have deserted them.

• Haha
Reactions: NoleLizards
  • 1 . 1. Oklahoma (42 -1 )......................4 - 0 stays #1
  • 3. 2. Virginia Tech (36 - 6)...............4 - 0 up to #2
  • 4. 3. Florida State (43 - 5) ...............4 - 0 up to #3
  • 5. 4. UCLA (36 - 5 ) ...........................4 - 0 up to #4
  • 6. 5. Arkansas (35 - 8)......................3 - 0 up to #5
  • 8 . 6. Oklahoma State (38 - 7)..........4 - 0 up to #6
  • 2. 7 . Alabama ( 39 - )........................3 - 2 drops #7
  • 7. 8. Northwestern (34 - 7) .............4 - 1 drops to 8
  • 12. 9. Washington (27 - 11) ..............2 - 0 up to #9
  • 9. 10 . Duke (36 -7) ...........................2 - 2 drops to #10
  • 10. 11. Florida (35 - 12) ........................1 - 3 drops to #11
  • 11. 12. Arizona State ( 32 - 7 )............1 - 2 drops to # 12
  • 13. 13. Kentucky (30 - 12) ..................1 - 1 stays 13
  • 14. 14. Texas (32 - 15 - 1) .....................1 - 3 stays #14
  • 15. Georgia ( 37 - 11).....................2 - 2 replace by Tenn at #15
Note: Kentucky could move up or down after game tonight

Couple of tidbits. 1) We are only losing Sidney, Watson, Tomlinson to graduation, and Landers in transferring; 2) LoPreste told me today she has a back/disc issue and is done for the season; 3) B Keene is out for the season but they are applying for another year of eligibility for her and hope it is approved.

Isn't Hartly the only player besides Syd to play 3rd this season?

Unless Transfers occur, Harding goes to first, Muffley or Ross 2nd, Blankenship to ss, Flaherty to 3rd, Edenfield to catcher.

Outfield is Mudge, Kerr, Belviy.

Lose bats of Sherrill and Leonard and where is power come from to replace them?
Don’t forget about Hartley potentially at 3rd. Seems like they trust her but little PT this year since they are not taking Syd out of the game.😀 Think they will figure out the best combination at 2nd and 3rd between flaherty, Ross and Hartley.

Yes, I posted link to article a couple weeks ago ( then forgot in the above post which Tom corrected).

Reactions: Noles61
What do they have for recruiting coming in next year that could help us .

On the surface, it seems like a fine class. Where are the outfielders?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT