ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup

ReliableOstrich

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Just remembered it is this year and upon a quick Google, it starts in less than 1 month.

I suppose the perfect storm of the USMNT not qualifying + it being in Russia means there won't be a ton of interest (side note: lol @ fox paying up for that TV contract).

In any event, it is one of the greatest sporting events on earth, so who are you guys rooting for? I'm rooting for Costa Rica and Mexico.

Here's who I've got coming out of each group.

Group A - cake walk as Saudi Arabia and Egypt fail to advance
1A Uruguay
2A Russia

Group B - also a near guarantee (Iran and Morocco fail to advance)
1B Portugal
2B Spain

Group C - decent group with Denmark and Australia
1C France
2C Peru

Group D - solid group with Nigeria and Iceland
1D Argentina
2D Croatia

Group E - Switzerland and Serbia fail to advance
1E Costa Rica
2E Brazil

Group F - Sweden and S. Korea fail to advance
1F Germany
2F Mexico

Group G - England and Tunisia, England fails to advance
1G Belgium
2G Panama

Group H - Poland and Japan fail to advance
1H Colombia
2H Senegal

Also, I know very little about soccer.

I'd be lying if I said I really cared but I'd like to see Messi win.

I always pull for Germany, so I'm hoping for a repeat!

I'd be lying if I said I really cared but I'd like to see Messi win.
I feel this way too (both about caring and Messi), however I think once the matches start, I'll get swept up into it.

Esp as the NBA playoffs will be ending, which usually marks the beginning of the summer sports lull. I'll be craving a sport to watch to bridge the gap till football season.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Peru's best player (by far) was banned yesterday for failing a drug test earlier in the year. FIFA originally assessed a 6 month ban, which was overturned on appeal. Then it was appealed the association and in an effort to make it as easy as possible for Euros, the ban was reinstated. So - be cheerign from my home country until they are eliminated. And then will cheer for the latin teams.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I suppose the perfect storm of the USMNT not qualifying + it being in Russia means there won't be a ton of interest.

To include zero interest from me. I barely pay attention to this sport when the U.S. is in the tourney. At least I had country pride to fall back on. That is not the case this time.

I'll pull for Argentina and/or Germany, most likely. Wish there was more interest in it around me; last Cup I was traveling in China during the early rounds, and it was fun going to the hotel bars - which were packed with people from all around the world, intensely watching & celebrating the games (even though it was very early the morning there).

I will be pulling for Germany, and anyone playing against Mexico. How anyone not from Mexico could cheer for that country is beyond me.

I hope it is a good tournament, and I also hope there are some upsets. If/when England goes out in the group stage it will be fun listening to all the Brits complain.

I'll pull for Argentina and/or Germany, most likely. Wish there was more interest in it around me; last Cup I was traveling in China during the early rounds, and it was fun going to the hotel bars - which were packed with people from all around the world, intensely watching & celebrating the games (even though it was very early the morning there).
It's great to be visiting Europe during the WC.

Was in Berlin in 2010 for the Germany/Spain semifinal. Watched with hundreds of thousands of Germans in Tiergarten (Berlin's Central Park). Was a crazy experience. They were NOT pleased with the loss. I had to contain my subconscious smiles as I was rooting for Spain.

A week later we were in Barcelona for the final, which Spain won. We were fortunate that our itinerary lined up with the teams playing in each match.

I will be pulling for Germany, and anyone playing against Mexico. How anyone not from Mexico could cheer for that country is beyond me.

I hope it is a good tournament, and I also hope there are some upsets. If/when England goes out in the group stage it will be fun listening to all the Brits complain.
Haven't thought much about it but I'm rooting for MX because they are our neighbors, allies, and friends. Figured that was good reason - if not I was also just down in Mexico City and loved it!

Plus there are a good number of Mexican players in the MLS, which would then increase the stature of the league.

For me, it's just not the same w/o the U.S. for selfish reasons and Italy & Holland for competitive ones.

It's great to be visiting Europe during the WC.

Was in Berlin in 2010 for the Germany/Spain semifinal. Watched with hundreds of thousands of Germans in Tiergarten (Berlin's Central Park). Was a crazy experience. They were NOT pleased with the loss. I had to contain my subconscious smiles as I was rooting for Spain.

A week later we were in Barcelona for the final, which Spain won. We were fortunate that our itinerary lined up with the teams playing in each match.

That's pretty incredible. I was in Nice for the early rounds of the 2006 World Cup, so it was great seeing both French and Italians celebrating their teams' success. Unfortunately, I left before the final, but I was in England when they lost in the tournament.

Mexico is our rival, I'm not rooting for them, we aren't the SEC. I'll go with Iceland and Germany, while rooting for any Atlanta United or Chelsea players who may be playing.

Reactions: osceola74
Peru's best player (by far) was banned yesterday for failing a drug test earlier in the year. FIFA originally assessed a 6 month ban, which was overturned on appeal. Then it was appealed the association and in an effort to make it as easy as possible for Euros, the ban was reinstated. So - be cheerign from my home country until they are eliminated. And then will cheer for the latin teams.
I will be rooting for Germany and all the European teams. Opposite sides of the fence for us!

Can someone who follows soccer provide a tl;dr on the favorites?

I'm sure there's a website that does it but I don't feel like clicking through a slide show of non-sense and clickbait.

Can someone who follows soccer provide a tl;dr on the favorites?

I'm sure there's a website that does it but I don't feel like clicking through a slide show of non-sense and clickbait.

FIFA rankings FWIW:

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

There is no obvious group of death. Group C was tough until Peru lost it best player. Russia has a easy path to the quarters. Germany Brazil Argentina - the usual suspects are up there. Russia has a chance. It's home turf and lord knows what shenanigans russian oligarchy has in play.

FIFA rankings FWIW:

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

There is no obvious group of death. Group C was tough until Peru lost it best player. Russia has a easy path to the quarters. Germany Brazil Argentina - the usual suspects are up there. Russia has a chance. It's home turf and lord knows what shenanigans russian oligarchy has in play.
I think you have to put Portugal and France into that conversation as well.

Reactions: FSU0409
tl:dr version...

The favorites are Germany, France, & Brazil...probably in that order. Then the 2nd tier of challengers you'd bet on would be Argentina, Spain, and Belgium.

Everyone else is just there for fun, except for maaaaybe Portugal.

Also, here's the full schedule of the Group Stage matches w/times and TV listings. http://deadline.com/2018/02/world-cup-2018-tv-schedule-fox-fox-sports-1-russia-1202296827/

The Group Stage matches I'm most looking forward to:

• Friday, June 15: 2 PM – Portugal vs Spain (Group B), Fisht Stadium, Sochi, FOX
  • Sunday, June 17: 11:00 AM – Germany vs Mexico (Group F), Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow, FS1
  • Thursday, June 21: 2 PM – Argentina vs Croatia (Group D), Nizhny Novgorod Stadium, Nizhny Novgorod, FOX
  • Thursday, June 28 2 PM – Group G: England vs Belgium, Kaliningrad Stadium, Kaliningrad, FOX

Pulling for Mex because they are our neighbors is kinda like rooting for the Gators because Gainesville is close to Tally and they are also Floridians. Cant do it.

As for how it plays out, it seems that there is always one country that makes a surprise run to the Quaterfinals or semifinals. This is FIFA and the tourney is in Russia so there is no telling what country has stacked the deck in their favor in terms of bribes and payments to refs.

Spain, Germany, Brazil, Argentina always seem to find a way to make deep runs and would be shocked if at least half the semifinals does not come from them.

France have the talent but need to work on chemistry, but if they find it, watch out. Italy are traditionally strong and find a way to win with the dark arts but seem a bit old for this tourney. Portugal have Ronaldo who elevates them into the discussion but I think they are a notch below the big time favorites because he doesnt have the supporting cast that say Messi does.

England are young but I could see them making the QFs. Russia being the home team will get breaks and can see them making the QFs thanks to the set up of the tournament and fear of Putin (only have kidding). I would lump Belgium and Mexico into this category of dangerous opponent that could knock off any team but not sure they have the depth to win it all. Dont pay much attention to the FIFA rankings.

Rooting for England to make QFs and wouldnt mind seeing Ronaldo lead Portugal to the Final.

Pulling for Mex because they are our neighbors is kinda like rooting for the Gators because Gainesville is close to Tally and they are also Floridians. Cant do it.

As for how it plays out, it seems that there is always one country that makes a surprise run to the Quaterfinals or semifinals. This is FIFA and the tourney is in Russia so there is no telling what country has stacked the deck in their favor in terms of bribes and payments to refs.

Spain, Germany, Brazil, Argentina always seem to find a way to make deep runs and would be shocked if at least half the semifinals does not come from them.

France have the talent but need to work on chemistry, but if they find it, watch out. Italy are traditionally strong and find a way to win with the dark arts but seem a bit old for this tourney. Portugal have Ronaldo who elevates them into the discussion but I think they are a notch below the big time favorites because he doesnt have the supporting cast that say Messi does.

England are young but I could see them making the QFs. Russia being the home team will get breaks and can see them making the QFs thanks to the set up of the tournament and fear of Putin (only have kidding). I would lump Belgium and Mexico into this category of dangerous opponent that could knock off any team but not sure they have the depth to win it all. Dont pay much attention to the FIFA rankings.

Rooting for England to make QFs and wouldnt mind seeing Ronaldo lead Portugal to the Final.
Decent analysis except that (as I posted earlier) Italy failed to qualify.

Reactions: nynole1
Man, slim pickings. No USA, no Italy, no Dutch, no Jamaica.........may as well cheer for the Aussies and Iceland.

Is it the players that hate each other or the fans?
I've never really had goater like thoughts about Mexico so rooting against them (or any team from the Americas) seems unnatural. I'm on #TeamWesternHemisphere

Is it the players that hate each other or the fans?
I've never really had goater like thoughts about Mexico so rooting against them (or any team from the Americas) seems unnatural. I'm on #TeamWesternHemisphere
The Mexican fans have a terrible, terrible reputation.

They throw bags of uring, feces, beers, rocks, anything they can get their hands on, at American fans whenever the US plays Mexico.

They're an abomination to all things sporting.

They throw bags of uring, feces, beers, rocks, anything they can get their hands on, at American fans whenever the US plays Mexico.

So basically they're Eagles fans?

It takes a truly dedicated fan to bag up and carry around his or her own urine or feces for the purpose of throwing it a rival hours later. I kind of respect them for this.

Reactions: LesClaypool

That reputation-as with all things—is exaggerated. And Gringos aren’t angels. I will some of the taunting calls are uncalled for—however, culturally they look at it as just playing/joking and we are too sensitive. Hard for people from developing nations how a country with so many riches can be so sensitive b

Isn't having a rowdy, semi-violent fanbase just part of being a soccer loving culture?

I left a Roma-Lazio derby at halftime after being on the receiving end of god knows how many racial slurs/threats, being shown a knife, and not being able to see any of the game thanks to smoke bombs being thrown incessantly onto the pitch.

After we left that night I read the next day 3 people were stabbed during / after the match.

Plus, Green Street Hooligans...

I will wait until I see this pee/feces flinging in person before passing judgement on my friends to the south.

Isn't having a rowdy, semi-violent fanbase just part of being a soccer loving culture?

I left a Roma-Lazio derby at halftime after being on the receiving end of god knows how many racial slurs/threats, being shown a knife, and not being able to see any of the game thanks to smoke bombs being thrown incessantly onto the pitch.

After we left that night I read the next day 3 people were stabbed during / after the match.

Plus, Green Street Hooligans...

I will wait until I see this pee/feces flinging in person before passing judgement on my friends to the south.
Roma-Lazio is the most violent, dangerous derby in sports. It's asinine to attend for anyone, IMO.

Perhaps on some level that's "cool." For me, anytime murder is a legit possibility, I'll pass.

If you want to root for Mexico...have at it. It almost sounds like you asked the question just so you could quasi-pontificate though.

Reactions: fsugrad06
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT