ADVERTISEMENT

Yard work

goldmom

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jacksonville
the lack of a real winter has forced me into the yard earlier than ever...who's got a garden out already?
I just spent the morning pulling weeds and prepping some flowerbeds. Planted flowerpots and will plant my caladium bulbs the first of March. They're my favorite because they're reliable no fail color.
Too many things never froze back this year, so lots of cleanup needed!

the lack of a real winter has forced me into the yard earlier than ever...who's got a garden out already?
I just spent the morning pulling weeds and prepping some flowerbeds. Planted flowerpots and will plant my caladium bulbs the first of March. They're my favorite because they're reliable no fail color.
Yes! Well, well, well.... quite the domesticated Hannah. Yard work is great therapy for us all.

Hey yea I have pepper seedlings about ready to go outside. Our leaves all came down in Michael except for the Live Oaks which is nice.

My childhood soured me from wanting to do any type of yardwork.
My dad liked to wake us up on Saturday mornings with this:
pallet_sod.jpg

Almost half of my garden hasn't fallen victim to frost or freeze so that'll reduce my plant order. Still have to turn rest of the dirt and top off the survivor's bedding. Never happened before(3rd year in this house), I haven't covered anything all winter.

Dropped spectracide pellets around the perimeter of the yard and sprayed surrounding the house.
Will feed the grass in 2-3 weeks then a couple weeks later hit it with the weed spray.

Got some Walking Iris plants that our FFA teacher was giving out. Planting them this weekend, hopefully can manage to keep them alive in our small flowerbed

Reactions: squiffynole
I haven't started yet, but I have the ITCH.
Just spent my lunchtime walking around the garden section of Ace Hardware. We put up a lattice and I'm planning to put some vines on it.

pallet_sod.jpg
Same. Except for us it was a huge pile of mulch that had to be spread in all the flower beds/landscaped areas (we had a huge yard with lots of landscaping). I despised doing that every year.

You bunch of wimps,:), I grew up with a construction worker dad on a small farm (90 scres). His idea of raising boys and keeping them out of trouble was to work them so hard you did not have the energy to get in trouble. We had a 2.5 acre bahia grass yard which had to be cut weekly. We had (2) 24" cut push mowers. My brother and I had to cut the grass every Saturday morning during the grass cutting season. Every 3rd week during the summer we had to load square bales of hay from our 15 acre hay field. (cows had to eat during the winter). When I started working as a welder apprentice the other apprentices would all complain about how hard the work was, I was thinking it is the easiest job I have ever had. Would not trade a minute of it for a "softer" upbringing.

BTW Goldie, with the lack of a good cold winter I cut the grass yesterday. A lot of weeds but the grass has started growing also. Gardening is my wife's thing but she does container gardening. She is starting to get the containers ready now. I do go in halves with a friend who plants a big garden each year so we get all of our beans, corn, peas etc from that garden. The wife grows tomatoes, cucs, squash, strawberries etc in the containers.

Our first house in Tally was on 11 acres out Appalachee Parkway years ago. We bought a riding mower and garden stuff and we planted tons of veggie stuff. We thought we were so cool. We didn't understand that critters would eat everything in a nanosecond!
Last time I drove by there a huge senior living complex was being built on the property.
Looks like some different sort of "vegetables" might be moving in...:rolleyes:

Looks like some different sort of "vegetables" might be moving in...:rolleyes:

You did not just go there!!! My type of lady,,,,,,,,,,, a warped sense of humor!!

Reactions: goldmom
You bunch of wimps,:), I grew up with a construction worker dad on a small farm (90 scres). His idea of raising boys and keeping them out of trouble was to work them so hard you did not have the energy to get in trouble. We had a 2.5 acre bahia grass yard which had to be cut weekly. We had (2) 24" cut push mowers. My brother and I had to cut the grass every Saturday morning during the grass cutting season. Every 3rd week during the summer we had to load square bales of hay from our 15 acre hay field. (cows had to eat during the winter). When I started working as a welder apprentice the other apprentices would all complain about how hard the work was, I was thinking it is the easiest job I have ever had. Would not trade a minute of it for a "softer" upbringing.

BTW Goldie, with the lack of a good cold winter I cut the grass yesterday. A lot of weeds but the grass has started growing also. Gardening is my wife's thing but she does container gardening. She is starting to get the containers ready now. I do go in halves with a friend who plants a big garden each year so we get all of our beans, corn, peas etc from that garden. The wife grows tomatoes, cucs, squash, strawberries etc in the containers.
you are forgetting who is on this thread with you...;)

We did have a riding mower though. But I have baled plenty of hay, cleaned farrowing houses (had to look up the spelling. We called it a ferrin' house), plowed, chiseled, pulled weeds. Heck every spring break I was on a tractor, too. I wanted to get an airbrush t-shirt "spring break '87 with a tractor and a cloud of dust. :Face with Tears of Joy

I grow plants under lights in my basement....but it's not what you think! We're a long way off yet in Maryland, but I am going to get about 100 tropical milkweed seeds started in peat pellets today. I can plant them in the ground by about the end of April. The goal is to have big clusters in different part of the garden so the monarchs have lots of places to lay eggs.

I do have to replace two butterfly bushes. I'll buy the rest of the stuff to fill in - zinnias, vincas, etc.

I grow plants under lights in my basement....but it's not what you think! We're a long way off yet in Maryland, but I am going to get about 100 tropical milkweed seeds started in peat pellets today. I can plant them in the ground by about the end of April. The goal is to have big clusters in different part of the garden so the monarchs have lots of places to lay eggs.

I do have to replace two butterfly bushes. I'll buy the rest of the stuff to fill in - zinnias, vincas, etc.
Very nice that's excellent work with the the Milkweeds. I love Milkweeds but not as much as Monarchs!

We use a LED grow light in the garage which lights up the window purple sometimes I wonder what people think.

We lived in the mountains out here - Evergreen, CO fm- for 16 years. It was beautiful but our gardens were salad bars for the elk population;) No gardening here for a couple more months. Still some snow left to fall;)

Very nice that's excellent work with the the Milkweeds. I love Milkweeds but not as much as Monarchs!

We use a LED grow light in the garage which lights up the window purple sometimes I wonder what people think.
a couple of houses in my neighborhood have purple glowing lights shining out. I can tell you what I think it is!
th

you are forgetting who is on this thread with you...;)

We did have a riding mower though. But I have baled plenty of hay, cleaned farrowing houses (had to look up the spelling. We called it a ferrin' house), plowed, chiseled, pulled weeds. Heck every spring break I was on a tractor, too. I wanted to get an airbrush t-shirt "spring break '87 with a tractor and a cloud of dust. :Face with Tears of Joy

Well at least you had a spring break. In the 70s we had Good Friday and the following Monday off and that was our SB. When I got to Chipola we had a SB but mine was spent on a road trip with the baseball team.

I don't think you can ever down play the experience of growing up on a farm. I am sure you are like me and it instilled in you the work ethic which has helped you all through life. My kids were not raised on a farm but living in the Graceville area there were plenty of farm jobs for summer employment for both of them. They are both very successful and I attribute a lot of it to the work ethic farm labor gave them. Nowadays you seldom see a kid cutting grass.

Everything is blooming already; it just seems like it's a month early. Azaleas out in full force in February! Weeds popping up everywhere.
More yard work today while it's "cold" out - if 70 is the new cold.

70-85 is perfect weather for all things other than being in the woods. <50 should not be allowed in Fl.

Yesterday, I got an extremely low appraisal... I wanted to go dig in my backyard and 'plant' someonething

Starting to think about spring, daffodils are opening in Cville, beating out the crocus which is usually the first. Hyacinth is soon to follow, then the tulips. I am in charge of our neighborhood beautification, because no one else either gives a damn, or has the impetus. I have planted a bunch of perennial bulbs in the neighborhood{see above}using a nifty bulb auger which makes things go quickly in this somewhat rocky soil. At our house, we have six raised beds for veggies, we start them inside as the risk for freeze is very high. As a matter of fact the danger of frost doesn't end until Mothers Day.

Well aren't we Suzie Gardener???? I'm thinking of planting some things in about three weeks. When spring fever hits full tilt. I like to plant as deep as possible to prevent anything from coming out too early.

We lived in the mountains out here - Evergreen, CO fm- for 16 years. It was beautiful but our gardens were salad bars for the elk population;) No gardening here for a couple more months. Still some snow left to fall;)

Dont plant anything until Mother’s Day in Colorado was a rule I learned the hard way. Every time I try to cheat, I end up with dead plants.

Yesterday was pre-emergent day as per Neil Sperry out N. Texas gardening guru. So I did, not sure why though as all the Poa Annua has sprouted and going to seed already.

I usually don't plant things until the spring game weekend.
Planting deep is always a key to success.

I bought a new reel mower and cut the grass for the first time this year today. It’s so nice to have a lawn again after years of drought.

pallet_sod.jpg
Im with you, I will cut grass and weed eat, trim hedges but that other stuff I rather pay someone any day

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT