ADVERTISEMENT

Idaho murders suspect

Will be interesting to see what else they have as evidence. The DNA part is strong but otherwise it’s all super circumstantial. His car being seen in the area and the cell phone thing aren’t all that strong when the guy lived pretty close by. I know they’re asking for any tips possible about him so I’m guessing more will come out.
Over 400 phone tips from the area have come in since he was arrested.
I am probably not alone in thinking they’ve got the right person.

Reactions: QuaZ2002
Your sample won’t be required.
Within the last few years the state of FL has started genetic testing on newborn blood samples. Given that hits over 98% of birthed population each year I imagine it’s inevitable that there will eventually be retention of this information.
It will start with efforts to identify remains, and move to use in criminal cases and other sympathetic causes.
I’d really be surprised if it doesn’t.
Probably kick started with a federal grant to fund the whole process when the time comes.
As of Jan 1st all newborns get this test, and it can help identify conditions that cause health issues early on, such as those leading to blindness.

Do you thinking demanding separate bowls for food prep is extreme?

Is it imagined that cleaning the bowl insufficient? e.g. If someone makes a meatloaf in this glass bowl it is forever ‘tainted’ and can’t be used to make a salad?

What’s the reasoning?
It brings these people the attention they seem to need.

If I have a monster who murdered four young people sharing a single strand of my DNA? That’s a hell yes.
Spot on! Living the rest of my life as an “accessory of the fact” would not be desirable.

I wonder if there’s an obligation to notify those people that their DNA was accessed.

I bet there's some small print that allows it. These people voluntarily submitted a sample of their DNA.
You’re probably right but they engaged with a company to provide a service which they paid for.
I don’t care if the FBI has my DNA. I’m not a criminal and if anything happens to me maybe they can use it to find me or the dummy who murdered me. 😏

You’re probably right but they engaged with a company to provide a service which they paid for.
I don’t care if the FBI has my DNA. I’m not a criminal and if anything happens to me maybe they can use it to find me or the dummy who murdered me. 😏
Pretty sure the DNA outfits agree to keep the information private unless they receive a subpoena, search warrant, court order or other similar legal compulsion. Same thing with financial institutions and telephone companies, among others. In effect, you consent to the disclosures on the front end, even though you probably are not aware of it.

Reactions: SnapperNole
The DMV and the State Department have a two-dimensional picture of me; they do not have a three-dimensional facial scan like those used for TikTok filters and Apple Face ID. The DMV does have a thumbprint, but the government already had my fingerprints due to the livescan for my license and to work at the VA. I want to keep my facescan private for as long as I am allowed.
Ok. If that makes you feel better

Reactions: BrainVision
I do not think that is extreme. It is also consistent with how my friends and acquaintances who keep kosher and halal prefer to manage their kitchens.
The ‘magical thinking’ of religion is probably the best comparison.

Why so combative about how others choose to live? I’m a total carnivore but if I invite people to my house I do everything I can to make them comfortable.
Obviously you have never seen combative behavior. I was simply stating what someone at my house did. I even went as far as to add mushrooms to the menu as a substitute for meat as she was a vegan. However, that wasn't good enough as they were cooked on the same device as meat. Wasn't rude to her or anything and she left by her choice. Extreme in my view but to each his or her own.

If you have a drivers license they already have your face if I understand you correctly
So contrary to what some think facial recognition doesn't require a 3D scan of your face. Since 2D images are readily available it has been set up to use them and match images. A phone app uses a 3d image but that's all it needs as its only looking for 1 face not millions. So if you have your picture taken for a DL your image is out there. If they are looking for someone and have a image its uploaded then the systems scan the millions of traffic cameras, ATM, drive throughs, check out lines, security check points ect... to track the individual. Here is a basic layout of how it works.

I guarantee you that the crappy black and white photos on Texas DLs won't be good for any facial data base.
Actually they dont even need a really good image. Just a few data points work. They are not always looking for a slam dunk match just a lead. In most cases they are looking for a location or possibly a better image on someone to match with a phone or car ect...

Reactions: F4Gary
Pretty sure the DNA outfits agree to keep the information private unless they receive a subpoena, search warrant, court order or other similar legal compulsion. Same thing with financial institutions and telephone companies, among others. In effect, you consent to the disclosures on the front end, even though you probably are not aware of it.
Once you upload anything into a computer or phone its not private anymore and someone with the right access and know how can get to it.

I admit to watching the three FBI shows on CBS on Tuesday nights, and if only half of what they know how to access shown on the show is true, then what the FBI doesn’t share with the show’s writers is so advanced they probably know what I had for supper last night.
You can turn off social media and go to cash only transactions but they can access security cameras that most stores and banks and even highways and toll booths. Use an ATM? Boom.
Cell phone? Tower pings.
Big Brother is literally everywhere.

I admit to watching the three FBI shows on CBS on Tuesday nights, and if only half of what they know how to access shown on the show is true, then what the FBI doesn’t share with the show’s writers is so advanced they probably know what I had for supper last night.
You can turn off social media and go to cash only transactions but they can access security cameras that most stores and banks and even highways and toll booths. Use an ATM? Boom.
Cell phone? Tower pings.
Once the police identify a suspect they’re usually pretty efficient in building a case. It seems that this took so long bc they didn’t have any real leads to this guy. I wonder if the DNA thing is what led them to him and then more pieces fell into place. The probable cause document will be interesting.

Most TV shows and movies dramatically exaggerate the capabilities of technology and coordination of information, not just for law enforcement, but for almost all professions.

I cringe every time some “psychologist” on a show starts talking about lie detection or micro expressions or pretty much anything associated with “profiling.” It’s all fantasy.

There is a reason that half of the murders committed in the US every year go unsolved.
Not all murders are like this. Gang related stuff doesn’t get solved bc no one cooperates. I’m guessing murders of this magnitude are solved at a very high rate.

Reactions: goldmom
Most TV shows and movies dramatically exaggerate the capabilities of technology and coordination of information, not just for law enforcement, but for almost all professions.

I cringe every time some “psychologist” on a show starts talking about lie detection or micro expressions or pretty much anything associated with “profiling.” It’s all fantasy.

There is a reason that half of the murders committed in the US every year go unsolved.
You have anything to back that up or are you floating this? Ill piggy back on what Goldmom said. If they are showing you a portion of what they are capable of just imagine what they are hiding.

Back what up?

Like I stated in the edited post. If a part of that is what is on TV is true imagine what they are not telling you.

Once the police identify a suspect they’re usually pretty efficient in building a case. It seems that this took so long bc they didn’t have any real leads to this guy. I wonder if the DNA thing is what led them to him and then more pieces fell into place. The probable cause document will be interesting.
Id bet once they sifted through all the DNA at the scene and figured out what didn't belong it didn't take too long to track him down. Sifting through the DNA was the hard part. This guy was not to bright because he squandered a huge head start.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Cell phone? Tower pings.

Well, I know that the representation of psychology and psychophysiology in the vast majority TV/movies is science fiction, because I am a psychologist/psychophysiologist. I have heard the same from my friends who are lawyers, physicians, engineers, etc. regarding depictions of their professions.

I also know a bunch of people who write television and movies and have consulted on several scripts. It's fiction: they make things up that are interesting and entertaining. They usually lock onto a small concept that they find promising and then elaborate upon it well beyond reality.
Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray [Gell-Mann]’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know
- Michael Crichton.

Well, I know that the representation of psychology and psychophysiology in the vast majority TV/movies is science fiction, because I am a psychologist/psychophysiologist. I have heard the same from my friends who are lawyers, physicians, engineers, etc. regarding depictions of their professions.

I also know a bunch of people who write television and movies and have consulted on several scripts. It's fiction: they make things up that are interesting and entertaining. They usually lock onto a small concept that they find promising and then elaborate upon it well beyond reality.
Yes your right. Much in Hollywood is made up but some is not or at least not totally false. I cant speak to the behavioral analysis part aside from I know they exist as I've actually worked with them in the past on JTTF projects. But lets talk about the technology (engineer) part. A lot of that is fantasy as well but some is based on a bit of reality. In Top Gun Maverick they fly what is called Dark Star a fictional aircraft that goes Mach 10. That plane was based on designs and mockups from Lockheed Martin from the actual designers. Do you think that is pure fantasy? How many years until we see a new fighter or mock up that looks eerily similar to that aircraft. My point is yes movies and tv is fiction but its not all fantasy.

Last edited:
Yes your right. Much in Hollywood is made up but some is not or at least not totally false. I cant speak to the behavioral analysis part aside from I know they exist as I've actually worked with them in the past on JTTF projects. But lets talk about the technology (engineer) part. A lot of that is fantasy as well but some is based on a bit of reality. In Top Gun Maverick they fly what is called Dark Star a fictional aircraft that goes Mach 10. That plane was based on designs and mockups from Lockheed Martin from the actual designers. Do you think that is pure fantasy? How many years until we see a new fighter or mock up that looks eerily similar to that aircraft. My point is yes movies and tv is fiction but its not all fantasy.

If we’re going to bring up Top Gun I’d like to point out that the camera under the nose of the F-14 would have given Maverick or Goose eyes on those extra bandits before they ever merged!

Most of the time it’s just money. The University of Chicago Police have something like a 100% solve rate on murders.

They’ll throw a hundred thousand man hours at a student’s murder. They’ll go through every frame of every CC camera they can find. They’ll go to every single pawn shop in Chicago. They’ll get warrants for cell phone tracking and credit or debit cards. Even the difference in the police and forensic reports is staggering.

As I said: "They usually lock onto a small concept that they find promising and then elaborate upon it well beyond reality."

What you were previously implying would be more akin to asserting that the Air Force already has a Mach 10+ manned aircraft that they are regularly flying around the world, and we just do not know about it yet.
No. The Mach 10 manned flight is likely fantasy.

If we’re going to bring up Top Gun I’d like to point out that the camera under the nose of the F-14 would have given Maverick or Goose eyes on those extra bandits before they ever merged!

We had a camera like that (TISEO) way back on the F-4.

F4ETISEO2.jpg

As I said: "They usually lock onto a small concept that they find promising and then elaborate upon it well beyond reality."

What you were previously implying would be more akin to asserting that the Air Force already has a Mach 10+ manned aircraft that they are regularly flying around the world, and we just do not know about it yet.
Somebody/Something is flying the UAP the military picks up on sensors.

Do you thinking demanding separate bowls for food prep is extreme?

Is it imagined that cleaning the bowl insufficient? e.g. If someone makes a meatloaf in this glass bowl it is forever ‘tainted’ and can’t be used to make a salad?

What’s the reasoning?
Am I the only Jew in here? If you keep kosher, you have 2 sets of everything....Pots, pans, flatware, dishes etc. Now they even have 2 of every appliance, sinks and cabinets as well. Separate meat and dairy, they can not touch. Not so strange, been happening for thousands of years.

Last edited:
Familial from one of those ancestry DNA websites.......
Probably just went through his trash or his apartment. He spells Brian with a ‘y’ and drives a white Elantra. Half of Pullman probably reported him.

The coordination of information software has come out of the military. They developed it along with private companies in Iraq and Afghanistan. It was first used by police in small testing areas in LA and then Philadelphia. I assume most large police agencies in the US now have the capability of surveillance and connecting that to the existing data points (video, banking, auto/truck GPS, license readers, traffic lights, etc.)

Reactions: GeddyLee09
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT