ADVERTISEMENT

New FUTBOL thread (old one is broken)

I didn't think Juve could win vs Real either.

I think the Tevez call was a legit foul, but he may have embellished a little too. To me it was honestly hard to tell. As a neutral, I didn't have a gripe about it though.

Any chance Pogba comes back for the return leg or Modric for Real? Both teams are missing those two guys big time.

Ramos was a disaster in MF for sure.

That match had a real Champions League vibe about it though. Those two teams belong in the CL Semifinals for sure. It was really fun to watch. The action on the pitch was fantastic and The Juve fans were really loud and waving giant flags the whole match. Here's hoping Bayern/Barca delivers the same level of play and ambiance today!

I was not surprised to see Juve get a result yesterday at all. Italian teams have been known to do this in the past. Typically they defend at all costs, counter when they can, stay compact etc. I thought Atkinson was poor overall. Penalty was 6 of one a half dozen of the other IMHO. Real are quite poor at the back. They should have been knocked out by Schalke and I saw some of the same defending from them last night. They must sort things out and do it quickly. Ramos in MF is a head scratcher to me as well. He is out of sorts there and only increases the number of problems at the back. I am cautiously optimistic for Bayern. We are without Robben, Ribery, Alaba, Badstuber and possibly a game time decision on whether Lewandowski will actually play and if he does if he can play the full 90 minutes. Luckily, Bayern are a deep side but that will certainly get tested over the next 2 legs. If we can knick an away goal, limit individual mistakes like at Porto(luckily Dante is likely to be on the bench tonight!) then we can get a result next week in Munich. Suarez has added a dimension to Barca that has been the key to them this year. It has opened up space for others as well. I clearly see Bayern as the underdog BUT I'd venture to say every Barca fan would still rather have faced Juve, even with all of our injuries. Looking forward to a good match and an invisible referee as well. Auf Gehts Ihr Roten! Kaempfen und Siegen!

Tim,
I'll be rooting for Munich but if they hold them under 3 goals I'll be surprised. Robben is irreplaceable. Barcelona is due for a hiccup but they are intimidating at home.

As you mentioned Madrid defense and casillas have been inconsistent all year. After spending so much on midfielders I can't believe Ancelotti thinks Pepe and Ramos both need to get on the field, start one with varane that's it. Carvajal was excellent last year but has taken two steps back.
Unlikely Madrid gets a shutout and wins 1-0, but I figure if they can't score 3 at home they don't deserve to make final.

Modric is out for season. Benzema has chance to play 60 min maybe in leg 2.

Pep playing WIDE OPEN vs Barca at the Nou Camp. Unreal. I'll say this...Pep's got some huge pelotas. Gary Neville and Martin Tyler are in shock at these tactics. They're almost incredulous. Lol

Predictable score line, I do like when teams play to win at barca and make them defend but not good enough.

Yeah epic embarrassment of boateng had me laughing, that was brutal!

No idea what Neuer was doing but still a great goal.

Wonder how Munich will respond next week

Bayern were missing Robben, Ribery, Alaba etc. I liked the fight in the team but they simply were outmatched v Barca without those players. Bayern have had zero luck this year with injuries. My talking point: Neymar was booked and then should've been sent off for dissent at the same time. The Italian ref was very kind to him for letting that dissent go in my opinion after already being booked for a foul. For 76 min the plan worked and then we made some mistakes after that and were punished 3 times. Barca v Real Final means I shan't be watching(I fully expect Real to reverse that 1st leg deficit). Liked the tactics from Pep overall but wondered why Mueller was taken off late? Goetze has been simply terrible the last month or more. That was a head scratcher to me. I know we will fight next week at home but we will face the same issues as we faced last night. Now, if Barca lose Messi, Neymar and Suarez over the weekend to injury(which would equate to what we already have out injured) then maybe we have a legit shot! Congrats to them on the victory. I look forward to the summer and a few changes to the team, get healthy again and begin anew next year.....with or without Pep. My sentiment is that Pep will extend his contract unless we get hammered next week in the return leg. If that happens, he will leave in my opinion. I heard the Twitter BS about Ancelotti coming to Munich next year. LOL.....Probably started by the British Tabloid press. Not happening.

Well I made a point to watch yesterday's Barca/Bayern match in the hopes of seeing two of the world's top clubs slug it out. I was totally unaware until tuning in that Batman (Ribery) & Robben were unfit to play. I feel like I just bought a Playboy with Kate Upton on the cover, and she's wearing a parka in all of the photos.

That's a great comparison.

Too bad for you Tim that Barcelona doesn't play the atletico drama team until next weekend they'd be all soft for the next leg. However, sociedad has the second most cards in la liga so it will be physical to a different degree

That's a great comparison.

Too bad for you Tim that Barcelona doesn't play the atletico drama team until next weekend they'd be all soft for the next leg. However, sociedad has the second most cards in la liga so it will be physical to a different degree

I thought I saw La Liga is suspending all matches? They will get the weekend off and not even play a match so unless they go hard in training the point is moot! :)

La Liga often moves scheduled games around (eg. lets a team play Fr. before a UCL game or even the midweek after - giving the team the choice).

The biggest mistake I thought Bayern made was after they were down 2-0, I thought they shouldn't continue to play with a high line going for an away goal. I'd have lowered the line and kept Alonzo deep as well. Let the other 5 attack all they want but ensure that Barca doesn't get that 3rd.

I too was surprised that it was Muller who came off for Goetze. I thought they'd take one of Bernat or Rafinha off to add another attacker. I know that changes the shape completely, but Muller is a proven big game scorer and without Ribery and Robben to provide width, I figured you'd want to keep someone like Muller who has a natural feel to riding a defenders' shoulder to help Lewandowski out (in terms of occupying Barca's D).

Anyone watching the championship final four? Ipswich vs Norwich and Brentford vs Middlesbrough leg 2 this week.

Millwall down not a shocker but blsckpool and Wigan were mild surprises to go down. Reading, Bolton and Fulham all dodged a bullet late season.

The Arsenal. SMH.:eek:

That game reminded me of October - November 2014. Hopefully they learned from it because I see Villa doing the same thing to them in the FA Cup Final.

One thing that did leave me scratching my head was the Walcott for Giroud substitution. I know Giroud wasn't having a great game, but they sure could have used him in the middle for the crosses they kept throwing in...and wasting.

Anyone watching the championship final four? Ipswich vs Norwich and Brentford vs Middlesbrough leg 2 this week.

Millwall down not a shocker but blsckpool and Wigan were mild surprises to go down. Reading, Bolton and Fulham all dodged a bullet late season.

Loved Mick McCarthy at Wolves, go Tractor Boys!!!!!!!!

What a major decline for Blackpool, Wigan and especially Fulham.

Well first and foremost congrats to Barca for their victory and good luck to them in Berlin in a few weeks time. That said, I was very proud of the effort Bayern put in yesterday. They could have easily tanked after going down 1:2 but they didn't. I keep coming back to the realization that this depleted Bayern side, a side missing 4 starers in Franck Ribery, Arjen Robben, David Alaba and Holger Badstuber were basically about 15 min of the first leg subpar to a TOP form and fully healthy Barcelona side. In the 76th min of the 1st leg, the score was 0:0 at the Camp Nou and then 3 mistakes in defense led directly to chances at the other end. To Barca's credit, they took them. That ended up being the difference in the tie in the end. I still believe that a fully fit Bayern side is as good or better than any team in the world but that's not how things ended up. Not going to watch an el clasico CL Final I can tell you that. I would be shocked to see Juve get a result tonight even if Pogba is returning. We shall see. I look forward to the summer transfer period though. I have a feeling Bayern will be quite active! I have read that they have a 100 Million Euro transfer budget.

Regarding the English Promotion playoffs, will be watching the 2nd legs! Looking forward to them! Always so much drama and so much $$$$ at stake, heard its the richest payout in the world for the promoted club to the Prem!

Grazie Juve!!! Grazie! Kroos left Bayern for Titles and he's batting .000 now in that department for the season! Let the Ancelotti out and Klopp in rumors begin.

I can't believe injuries and Bale kept Madrid trophy less this year. They're way too good to not win something. Been slumping the last month with a new lineup each game so I wasn't surprised.

Ancelotti has to go for his stubborn tactics all season not adapting to opponents.

Cr7, prob leave for united now or never. I can't stand fellow Madrid fans do I Hope he leaves.

And please unload the worst player per pound on earth. most coaches would have benched Bale outside Ancelotti months ago.

Hope juve wins but I'm not optimistic

I hope ManU breaks the bank to bring Bale back to the Prem. He won't do any better there than he has at Madrid, IMO. Angle Di Maria > Bale, and it's not close, IMO.

I hope ManU breaks the bank to bring Bale back to the Prem. He won't do any better there than he has at Madrid, IMO. Angle Di Maria > Bale, and it's not close, IMO.

United just signed Memphis Depay, so I doubt that there is much more interest in Bale, especially at $350K a week. I pray that he is not part of any De Gea package.

I would like to see Di Maria come back and play to his potential. Di Maria is a master at creating chances for others, but he has struggled with Van Gaals system. I would be pissed if Di Maria and Bale were exchanged straight up with Real picking up half of Bale's tab.

Grazie Juve!!! Grazie! Kroos left Bayern for Titles and he's batting .000 now in that department for the season! Let the Ancelotti out and Klopp in rumors begin.
I thought that Klopp was going to go to Real in 2013 (when Mourinho left and Carlo got the job). I'm guessing Carlo ends up in the PL if Real does let him go.

Well, it could have been better, and it easily could have been worse. I'm sure The Arsenal is quite fine with a road point at Ol' Trafford. Now, a win over either Sunderland or West Brom next week clinches 3rd place (as would both games endings in a draw). I suppose 3rd place and another FA Cup should be satisfactory to all supporters, but still.....the way the season started with the rout of the Noisy Neighbors in the Community Shield match, I'm somehow disappointed. And to be fair, this IS The Arsenal. 3rd place and another FA Cup are hardly guaranteed.

Yes, things could have been better, or even worse today at Old Trafford. Yes I am happy with getting a point and taking the next step towards a 3rd place finish (it sure beats having to play in the qualifying tie to officially make Champions League next season).

However, I am disappointed in the past few weeks. It seems like the Chelsea match took everything out of this team, and once the title was decided they went on holiday. There is no way Arsenal should have lost to Swansea on Monday (I think it was the first time since 1981 Swansea won both games against Arsenal in the same season). Then, IMO, they should have been able to go up to ManU and take all 3 points.

I am just dumbfounded by the play of Arsenal at times. They are typically one of, if not the best from box to box. However, they seem to forget how to defend inside their own box, and they just can't seem to figure out how to finish. I sure hope a world class keeper and a world class striker are on the shopping list this summer. If not, I would expect another 3rd or 4th place finish next season.

Even if Arsenal had lost, they still had 3rd place under their own destiny. Now it would've sucked for them to have lost both matches, so they avoided that. The team this result hurts the most is Hull. Had Arsenal lost, a win vs Sunderland would've been a must, now I wouldn't be surprised to see a switched off Gunners on Wed.

Having a case of deja vu via 2006 for Monday's game for Chelsea. Damn you City, Arsenal and United. Why couldn't you have stuck around the title race a little longer so we didn't switch off. :D

I lol'd at Fabregas's bullet that got him sent off. No way that was intentional. Hilarious! Stupid, for sure...but not intentional.

Intentional was that POS Doug Johnson trying to hit Bobby Bowden in the pre-game fight that happened in 1998. Thank goodness his accuracy was so poor, or he might have killed Bobby.

I lol'd at Fabregas's bullet that got him sent off. No way that was intentional. Hilarious! Stupid, for sure...but not intentional.

Intentional was that POS Doug Johnson trying to hit Bobby Bowden in the pre-game fight that happened in 1998. Thank goodness his accuracy was so poor, or he might have killed Bobby.

Just like the Johnny Evans spitting incident, not intentional but stupid. Evans sat his six games and Fabregas will sit his three, including the first 2 of the 2015/16 season.

How did Terry not get booked at all on the Berahino foul that resulted in a PK? Not even a yellow, when I wouldn't have argued a red. I can see that Chelsea was already down to 10 men, but that certainly warranted a yellow.

Off-topic...

I just turned 40 a couple of weeks ago. Never having really played any video games since I was in college, and wanting to know what the fuss was all about with all the new stuff...I bought an XBox 360 and FIFA15, for a birthday present to myself.

Holy crap is it fun!

Only downside is that Arteta starts at DM for Arsenal, and Coquelin isn't even in the reserves. Amazing how far he has come since he was recalled from loan in December!

Other early observations...

It's wicked fun running up the score on Spurs, just like in real life.
Messi is pretty much Superman in this game and can do anything...as it should be.
PSG is incredible.

Do you guys play? I haven't ventured into the online realm yet, but eventually I'd like to play other people.

I haven't played video games since college neither, and just about refuse to. On that note, I am 45, and I know several people that are within 5-10 years of my age, that have HATED soccer and have called me a soccer bunny for years, and now they have become fans of the game because of the FIFA video game. Hey, whatever it takes, I guess.

Just like the Johnny Evans spitting incident, not intentional but stupid. Evans sat his six games and Fabregas will sit his three, including the first 2 of the 2015/16 season.

How did Terry not get booked at all on the Berahino foul that resulted in a PK? Not even a yellow, when I wouldn't have argued a red. I can see that Chelsea was already down to 10 men, but that certainly warranted a yellow.

Actually Cesc's ban was reduced to 1 game, so he'll only miss the season finale. Had it stuck at 3, he would've missed Sunday's finale, the Community Shield and the opening weekend.

Actually Cesc's ban was reduced to 1 game, so he'll only miss the season finale. Had it stuck at 3, he would've missed Sunday's finale, the Community Shield and the opening weekend.

When watching the game, I thought a red was coming for Terry. Glad it didn't happen (not because of the game - that was over once the penalty was converted) but so that Terry can play all 38 matches which he's never done before.

I don't understand why the media insists on linking Sterling with Arsenal. I don't see him as a fit on the pitch, and Wenger won't agree to pay him what he wants, especially when you consider he doesn't want to pay Walcott what he is looking for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT