ADVERTISEMENT

Gorney picks Kam Davis as his top RB in 2024 class

Adam Gorney, who is a Rivals National football recruiting analyst, chose FSU enrolled freshman Kam Davis as his top runningback in all of the 2024 class.
You can read the debate between the national analysts here.

I like the Akers comparison right now. Looking forward to watching him adapt to a college runningback this spring.

Football Malik Benson eyeing the Keon Coleman blueprint at FSU entering final season

Entering his final season of eligibility, Alabama WR transfer Malik Benson knew his transfer decision this offseason was critical. Seeing Keon Coleman's one-year breakout at FSU and his prior relationship with the coaches led Benson to choose FSU.

Football FSU alum, former MTSU HC Rick Stockstill joining FSU staff in off-field role

An FSU legend is returning home. FSU announced today that former FSU QB and FSU Hall of Famer Rick Stockstill is joining the program as the new director of offensive scouting.

FSU 68 UNC 75 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

FSU 68 UNC 75 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

So today is a double show day. Meaning I was only able to catch the last 6:16 of the game. No watching the game on the phone on the music stand in the pit on this one. Its one song rapid fire after another the entire show.

Anyway, just some very brief thoughts.

The Good

FSU getting down by eleven, 19-8, in the first 5:50 and not imploding actually holding a 41-35 halftime lead. The Seminoles could not hold that lead and was down by as many as nine in the second half. Howwever, FSU made that last run and really had a chance to win with 2 minutes left. From what I saw, we made them work for it and gave solid effort.

Credit the bench for keeping this a competitive game outscoring the Tar Heel bench 35-7.

Somebody did a good defensive job on Armando Bacot. Just 5 points and 4 rebounds.

A decent defensive job all around. If you don't count RJ Davis that is. I guess that is why he is the ACC's leading scorer.

Heck of a steal by Primo Spears going coast to coast for the lay up, 70-68 UNC. A whole lot of time remained, 2:37, after that.

The spread was UNC -6.5. For those short term investors who took the Tar Heels and gave the points. You need to share some of that spoils with Davis for that last FT of the game. In this era of NIL money floating around all over the place, that would not be a NCAA violation, right?

The Bad

A big hole remains in FSU's tournament resume. The 'Noles needed this win because they have very little to hang their hat on. There are games to play. But people who do the analytics and vote in polls obviously don't think too much of the ACC. Just two teams are ranked in the Top 25 IIRC. So there are not many quality wins left on the schedule to make a case to the selection committee.

I saw at the half FSU was 7 of 12 from the arc. The second half FSU shot 2 of 8. I was afraid it was not going to last.

If only Jamir Watkins' three with 1:50 left had gone down. FSU takes a 71-68 lead and who knows what happens.

If only Spears had not lost that ball OB under the basket. I thought he tried to press it trying to drive the ball there. The UNC player was just able to squeeze him along the end line.

How does one player grab 17 rebounds as Harrison Ingram did today?

The Ugly

0-5. The number of baskets made and attempted by FSU in the last 2:37. I felt we pressed more than a little.

Memo to Taylor Bol Bowen: PLEASE stop shooting threes. The other team does not even bother stepping out to guard you because they know you are going to miss them as was the case today. Twice. That is 2 of 17 so far. Said another way, that's 12%.

FT disparity. UNC took 24, made 19. FSU took 11 and made just 5. In the game earlier this season it was something like 30-8 in UNC's favor. Now I know FSU missed a number of the front end of one and ones especially down the stretch today. But nah, there is no favoritism going on there.

And speaking of favoritism, the TV color person applauding the hustle by Davis on a loose ball that went OB right in front of them. Umm, you didn't notice the Seminole player right with the floor burn going after the ball as well? Good God, I had to turn off that Tar Heel love fest eventually.

Up Next

FSU goes on the road to the KFC Yum Center to face Louisville on Saturday, Feb 3 at 8 PM. The game will be shown on the ACCN. I watched the first half of the UVa vs UL game before heading to the matinee. Talk about ugly basketball by the Cardinals. They were down by 28 points at the break and had amassed 10 turnovers eventually losing to the Cavaliers, 69-52. Dead last in the ACC, UL is 6-14 overall and 1-8 in the conference. The lone league win was back on January 10th against Miami. This a team that you just cannot lose to if you are trying to make a case for post season play. And even if you aren't you should not be losing to that team.

Ta'Niya Latson selected to Wooden Award Late Season Top 20

FSU sports information:

Florida State Women’s Basketball sophomore guard Ta’Niya Latson has been selected to the John R. Wooden Award Late Season Top 20, announced on Tuesday night by the Los Angeles Athletic Club.

Chosen by a poll of national college basketball experts based on their performances during the 2023-24 season thus far, the list comprises of 20 student-athletes who are front-runners for the sport’s most prestigious honor.

The Miami native is putting together another phenomenal season for the Seminoles, backing up last year’s otherworldly freshman campaign. In ACC play, Latson is averaging 22.5 points, 3.8 rebounds, 4.9 assists and is shooting 42.7 percent from the floor.

Latson leads the league with four 30-point games in ACC play. She recently set the school record for most career 30-point games already with 12, completing the feat in just 52 games played. She is coming off a 33-point performance at Georgia Tech, which means she has four 30-point games against the Yellow Jackets in all four meetings.

Latson repeated as a Top 10 selection to the Ann Meyers Drysdale Shooting Guard of the Year Watch List, and does the same with her late season Wooden Award selection.

The players on the list are considered strong candidates for the 2024 John R. Wooden Award Women’s Player of the Year presented by Principal. Players not chosen to the late season list are still eligible for the Wooden Award™ National Ballot. The National Ballot consists of 15 top players who have proven to their universities that they meet or exceed the qualifications of the Wooden Award.

Nearly 1,000 voters will rank in order 10 of those 15 players when voting opens prior to the NCAA Tournament and will allow voters to take into consideration performance during early round games. The Wooden Award All American Team™ will be announced the week of the “Elite Eight” round of the NCAA Tournament. The winner of the 2024 John R. Wooden Award will be presented by Principal following the NCAA Tournament in April.

SIAP- Russ Wood

Not sure if this has been posted or known but apparently he passed away in December. For those of us who have been around here for awhile he was one of the only bright spots in Warchant’s basketball coverage. He was a Rivals employee but provided lots of good intel on recruits we were after and was quick to reply with accurate intel. Seemed like a really good dude who loved the game. RIP.

Jermaine Johnson headed to the Pro Bowl

Congrats to Jermaine Johnson. From the NY Jets:

Initially one of the Jets' six Pro Bowl alternates, Johnson got the call from the league on Tuesday to join his two defensive teammates, replacing Chargers linebacker Khalil Mack, who is unable to participate due to injury.

After the Jets took Johnson with the 26th overall selection in the 2022 draft, he lined up in 14 games as a rookie and played 312 defensive snaps while totaling 2.5 sacks. The super sophomore started 17 contests this past season, racking up 7.5 sacks, 11 TFL and 7 PDs over 747 defensive snaps. He also ran back an interception for a TD.

Login to view embedded media

Football Live updates: FSU football newcomer interviews begin

The first four FSU football newcomers will meet with the media this morning beginning at 9 a.m.

WR Malik Benson (Alabama) will be followed by DB Davonte Brown (Miami), WR Jalen Brown (LSU) and OL TJ Ferguson (Alabama)

We'll have updates below in the thread

Look for more interviews on Thursday, including QB DJ Uiagalelei

Happy for Dalvin Cook

He landed with the Jets to start the year and just didn't get used all that much (67 carries, 214 yards, no touchdowns in the regular season). The Jets waived him and the Ravens picked him up.

And on Saturday he gets a 19-yard run and finished with 23 yards on eight carries. Not sure how I feel about seeing him in the No. 31 jersey. But Cook is a win away from playing in the Super Bowl.

Ronald Darby also had three tackles in the win over Houston.

Login to view embedded media

Football Recruiting Battle in Miami (7-on-7 Event)

QB

Antwann Hill - (Houston County HS-Warner Robins GA) 6'5-215 - First time I have seen Hill in person. This is what a big time QB needs to look like physical. He is a legit 6'4 if not taller. He is built like a prospect that is already on campus. He has a big time arm and can make every throw. No question that Hill had made the most impressive throws of any quarterback at the 7 on 7 event. He would be my number one priority if I was FSU. You want to play for and win titles, Hill is how you do that.

Luke Nickel - (Milton HS-Alpharetta, GA) 6'2-205 - (Committed to Miami) He was not as physically impressive as Hill. Thought he threw well but not as consistent. I do think Miami got a good quarterback. He would be in my second tier or guy’s Good arm. Can make most of the throws asked. He can lead a receiver. Think he is someone that can be developed into a very good starter.

Tramell Jones- (Mandarin HS-Jacksonville, FL) 6'0-185- (Committed to FSU) did what I expected at the event. Jones biggest flaw is he does not have an elite trait. He has a good but not great arm. He can be accurate but lacks anticipation. He does not lead his receivers. I think he can be a solid starter down the road but where is his upside. Watched him in the state title game and you could see he is not a great athlete so the dual threat part of it is not there. I do think he can play at FSU but I like Hill and Nikel upside more.

Husan Longstreet (Centennial HS-Corona, CA) 6'0-185 - Seems like a QB that would go to Arizona or a Washington State. Know he is listed as a four star. Lacked consistency. Was not always accurate with the football. Needs to work on his footwork and mechanics. Good player but not in the elite group.

Jared Lockhart-Porter Ridge-Indian Trail, NC) 6'4-180- Jared is not ranked by the networks. Very good looking prospect. I think he actually has more upside than Jones. Bigger and a better arm. Can make all the throws. He has smooth delivery. He can get the ball out of his hands well. He is someone that I would look at and at least bring to camp.

KJ Lacey-(Saraland HS-Saraland, AL) 6'0-170 -SMALL. Listed at 6'0 and that is with cleats on. Not impressive throwing the ball. I am surprised he is ranked so high. Even more surprised he is committed to Texas.

Noah Grubbs (Lake Mary HS-Lake Mary, FL) 6'4-190-Grubbs is class of 2026. He was mentioned to me by multiple scouts as someone to watch. Saw his film and liked him. He has a big time arm. One of the best arms at the camp. He needs to work on consistency. I could see FSU recruiting him as Grubbs is similar to Luke. He can make all the throws.

WR

Dallas Wilson- (Tampa Bay Tech-Tampa, FL) 6'3-180 (Committed to Oregon) Wilson is listed as a 4 star, I would move him up. He is one of the most impressive looking receivers in Florida. He has size. He can flat out run. He can get in and out of his breaks. Dallas is so smooth running his routes. He has good hands. You will see him catch the ball away from his body. Wilson is someone that FSU is recruiting and honestly should be either priority number 1 or 2.

Derek Meadows (Bishop Goran-Las Vegas, NV) 6'5-180- Not sure if FSU is showing must interest but Meadows is the real deal. Great size (6'5) makes it looks effortlessly running routes. He is able to high point the ball. Outside of Wilson he was the top wide receiver at the camp. He is someone I would at least kick the rocks on and see if you could pull off an upset. ND looks like they lead but put him in FSU's Offense and this kid would shine.

Cortez Mills (Homestead HS-Homestead, FL) 6'2-170- Mills physically is not the most impressive receiver. He is 6'2 but his body type is what throws you off. He has great hands. May have had the best hands at the camp. He can adjust to bad balls. He runs very good routes. He is going to make some team very happy in college.

Jaime Ffrench- (Mandarin HS-Jacksonville, FL) 6'2-170 -I am usually biased towards South Florida receivers but Jaime is the real deal. He is also a great kid. Very respectful every time I meet him. You talk about players you want in your program this is one of them. He is so smooth. If I had to compare him to a receiver it would be Devonta Smith. You can see why Bama wants this kid so badly. FSU and Miami are the two that will battle it out. Ohio State is trying to get into the picture.

Donovan Olugbode-(IMG Academy-Bradenton, FL) 6'2-175- He is a very good receiver. Not in the top group but you sign him and Donovan is a solid number 2 at most schools. Nice size, can run, has pretty good hands. He does not have the explosiveness as some of the other receivers on the board. He is visiting FSU for a junior day.

Koby Howard-(Chaminade HS-Hollywood, FL) 5'11-180 -Played well. Think he is a very good slot receiver. He is explosive. One step and gone type of player. Think he fits what MN likes to do on offense. He has now transferred again. That is three schools in three years. That is a concern for me. Does he stick it out if Howard does not play right away?

LB
Tarvos Alford- (Vero Beach HS-Vero, FL) 6'2-210 -Linebackers usually don’t do well at 7 ON 7 events. He more than held his own. He made some plays. He is not stiff and Alford dropping into coverage is not a liability for him. With FSU needs at LB, Alford should be someone they seriously look at.

DB

DJ Pickett-(Zephyrhills HS-Zephyrhills, FL) 6'4-175 - Listed at 6'2 on the networks. He is a legit 6'4 and maybe 6'5. Pickett is the best CB I have seen in person at the high school level from Florida. Maybe Patrick Peterson is better. He reminds me of Antonio Cromartie. Great size, great length. He is a shut down corner. It got so bad that other teams at the event did not even try to get the receiver the ball. DJ is the best player in Florida and top CB in the nation. He is a difference maker at CB.

Ben Hanks-(Booker T-Miami, FL) 6'1-160 -If you don't get Pickett, Hanks is a nice 2nd place prize. SMOOTH. Also transitions well. Can move in pretty much any direction and does not struggle. He is a lock down corner. He would be number 2 on my board behind Pickett. FSU is on him and will recruit Hanks till he signs on the dotted line.

Vernell Brown -(Orlando Jones HS-Orlando, FL) 5'11-165 -Brown is a good athlete. Brown wants to play receiver in college. We project him as a slot corner. Reminds me of Terrance Brooks. Not great size but the kid can run. He is physical. He is also very active on the field. Like his footwork. You don't see receivers get inside positioning on him. FSU is very much in it for Brown. Dad played for UF.

Gregory Xavier Thomas-(American Heritage, Plantation FL) 6'2-175- You can see why FSU wants Thomas. He has size and length. Think he is going to end up a safety. Not sure if he is fluid enough to play corner. He would have to be a boundary cb in college. Good player, I could not rank him ahead of Brown or Pickett. FSU is one of his leaders.

Onis Konanbanny-(Heathwood Hall-Columbia, SC) 6'2-170-Keep an eye on him. I could see FSU bringing Onis in for a visit and camping him this summer. He is big and long. Those are traits you want for a corner. Think he is raw but you can see the upside.

Drake Stubbs-(Mandarin HS-Jacksonville, FL) 6'1-180-Stubbs is a bigger kid. Looks more like a safety or even a linebacker down the road. Moves well. He is not a corner. Will struggle at times in space. He is going to be more of an in the box safety IMHO. Will get physical with receivers. Like him....think he is a better prospect playing real football. Not sure if 7 on 7 is the best way to showcase his talents.

Bryce Fitzgerald-(Columbus HS-Miami, FL) 6'1-175-He is probably one of, if not, the best safeties in Florida. Good size. He can run. He has the length to play defensive back. Quick feet. You don't see him get out of position very often. He shines no matter what the setting.

Antonio Branch-(Booker T-Miami, FL) 6'2-180- Hanks will be FSU main priority at BTW. Branch maybe a more realistic option

Football An updated look at FSU football's scholarship roster for 2024 (1/29)

With the transfer window wrapped up at FSU until spring, here's an updated look at FSU's scholarship situation for the 2024 season. We have the Seminoles at 87 guys currently on scholarship.

Football Column: Is FSU a contender for ACC title, spot in 12-team CFP in 2024?

Stability isn’t exactly the first word that comes to mind in college football these days.

The coaching carousel wound up for another go-around in January, with Nick Saban’s retirement beginning a domino effect where Kalen DeBoer left Washington for Alabama, Jedd Fisch moved from Arizona to Washington, San Jose State’s Brent Brennan went to Arizona and Ken Niumatalolo took over at San Jose State. Sitting head coaches in Kane Wommack (South Alabama) and Maurice Linguist (Buffalo) left their jobs to be coordinators at Alabama. And now Jim Harbaugh has left Michigan for the Los Angeles Chargers.

As a result the transfer portal shook up rosters from coast to coast, with FSU benefitting by rebuilding along the defensive front and adding some playmakers at receiver and running back. Check out Curt Weiler’s stories that take a deeper look at FSU’s offensive transfers and defensive transfers.

While we now have a 2024 ACC football schedule, there’s a courtroom battle between FSU and the ACC with two cases in two states.

Let’s set aside the court matters for a moment and reflect on what you’re curious about: What’s the stability (or state) of Florida State football? Can the Seminoles compete for an ACC title in 2024?

Football Recruiting 2025 4-star WR Derick Smith has FSU in his group of schools after Junior Day visit

2025 4-star WR Derick Smith enjoyed getting to see more of the personality of FSU's coaching staff during his Junior Day visit Saturday. He has the Seminoles in his group of schools he's considering coming out of the visit.

Softball America names Harding to preseason All-America team

FSU sports information:

Florida State softball senior Kalei Harding was named to the Preseason All-America Second Team by Softball America on Monday morning. This is the first time Harding has been named a Preseason All-American in her career.

The senior from Murfreesboro, Tenn., put together a very solid year for the Seminoles in 2023 both at the plate and in her new role at third base. Starting in 68 out of the 69 games in 2023, Harding boasted a .311 batting average while hitting 10 home runs and driving in 48 runs. In 2023, FSU hit a school record 122 doubles, and Harding was big part of that. Harding hit a career high 22 doubles in 2023 which is the second-most ever by a Seminole in a single season. She also ranks sixth all-time with 43 career doubles and needs nine doubles to hold sole possession of second on the al-time list. Harding also locked down the hot corner during the season as she played the majority of her time at third base for the first time in her career. Harding had just nine errors in 2023 and made many phenomenal plays at third using her strong arm.

Harding is a three-time All-ACC honoree as she picked up third team honors in 2021 and 2023 and second team honors in 2022. She was also named to the ACC All-Tournament Team in both 2022 and 2023. Harding had one of her best outings last season when it mattered most against Georgia in the Super Regionals. Harding went 4-for-8 with three RBI in two games against the Bulldogs to help the Seminoles advance to the Women's College World Series.

FSU will host their Fan Day this Saturday beginning at 2 p.m. with the Garnet and Gold Scrimmage at the Seminole Softball Complex. The scrimmage is free of charge. FSU will open the season with the JoAnne Graf Classic on Feb. 8-10 at the FSU Softball Complex where they will face Charlotte, Texas Tech and Florida A&M.

First Team
PositionNameSchool
CKinzie HansenOklahoma
1BMcKenna GibsonTennessee
2BTaryn KernStanford
SSSkylar WallaceFlorida
3BAlyssa BritoOklahoma
OFJayda ColemanOklahoma
OFKiki MilloyTennessee
OFAddison BarnardWichita State
UTJayda KearneyGeorgia
UTErin CoffelKentucky
UTTiare JenningsOklahoma
UTMaya BradyUCLA
UT/PValerie CagleClemson
PMaddie PentaAuburn
PJordy BahlNebraska
PKelly MaxwellOklahoma
PNiJaree CanadyStanford
Second Team
PositionNameSchool
CAutumn OwenNorth Carolina
1BKarina GaskinsNotre Dame
2BAllie SkaggsArizona
SSTaylor PleasantsLSU
3BKarli SpaidMiami
OFKorbe OtisFlorida
OFKristin FifieldGCU
OFAlex HonnoldMissouri
UTAminah VegaDuke
UTKalei HardingFlorida State
UTSara MosleyGeorgia
UTMegan GrantUCLA
UT/PLexi KilfoylOklahoma State
PKayla BeaverAlabama
PDariana OrmeBaylor
PNicole MayOklahoma
PAlana VawterSouth Carolina
Reactions: NoleLizards

Orange vs Shrine

Not sure if this has been discussed or not. Maybe some one can maybe explain how/why the hell you opt out of your last game? How can you say no to the coaches who invested so much into you. BIGGEST, How can you? How can you Quit on your brothers! Anyone who has ever played a sport and especially football understands fully that the saying “We are Family” isn’t a cliche but instead is from the heart said. The time, the sweat, the blood, the tears, the disappointment, the achievements, the ups and downs is exactly why “We are Family” is 100% true.

When I was scrolling through the rosters for the at E vs W Shrine game rosters and I come across some of our guys… JT, DeLoach, Lovett , J Jones, R. Green. Right after I saw their names it made me lil “Angry” or maybe should I say very disappointed in . It’s really hard to accept the fact that J.J, R .G, F.L chose to throw them in the lions den. The pure disappointment in them choosing to throw away the last chance they would ever have to play as a Nole.

I can’t understand how they could throw their family in the trash just to choose to play in the E vs W game instead of the Orange Bowl. A chance to be apart of an undefeated team and a season to remember especially ending it with a bang over UGA. If the reasoning is to increase their draft stock that’s total BS! You don’t think a win over UGA team who happen to be Back 2 Back Nattys with a current win streak at 29 games. I’m singling them out over the other guys who declared for the NFL because they didn’t play in another game. It’s almost like a slap in the face when they chose to do what they did to their family I know this is my opinion. This choice impacted their legacy and/or accomplishments will always be overshadowed and dismissed.

THE END

Ps had to get that out! 😂

Sports Business FSU BOT to meet Wednesday, Thursday

The FSU Board of Trustees will meet in Tallahassee this week. On Wednesday afternoon, they will meet in committee. The full board meeting begins Thursday morning.

The agenda is posted and includes a number of consent items (non-athletics) as well as updates from Dr. Richard McCullough as well as a few other speakers, including an athletics update from Michael Alford. He usually brings a student-athlete to speak, and this time it will be Taylor Huff from the soccer team.

This could be a shorter meeting (over before lunch?) as Thursday is FSU day at the Capitol.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT