ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday afternoon before the game..

We were fortunate enough to stay at the Westin in Charlotte. This is where the team was staying. It was really cool seeing all the players coming and going. We got a few photos with them. We got to talk with Jordan Travis, my son was star struck and couldn’t say much. I also talked with the AD and he’s a really nice guy. But the highlight of my trip was meeting Charlie Ward! He was in the lounge area of the hotel. He was super nice and I was able to get a selfie with him. He also took a photo with my son. Just to be in the presence of a Seminole legend was incredible. I’m still on a high from it.

Just wanted to share a cool story. Thanks for reading.

19 FSU Championships

@Bob Ferrante's article on the Soccer Team's Championships mentions 19 for FSU athletics.

(4) Soccer - 2014, 2018, 2021, 2023
(3) Football - 1993, 1999, 2013
(1) Softball - 2018
(2) Slow Pitch Softball AIAW 1981, 1982
(3) Volleyball - 1955, 1957, 1958
(1) Women's Golf 1981 - AIAW
(2) Men's Gymnastics 1951, 1952
(2*) Men's Outdoor T&F 2006, 2008 *2007 was vacated
(1) Women's Indoor T&F 1985
(1) Women's Outdoor T&F 1984

That is 20, what is not correct?
Reactions: Mortain44

Notes From the Uninformed (Sunday, Bloody Sunday)

Thought we might take a sober view of the implications of Sunday's corrupt decision; a look at the ripples from that big boulder Boo and his buddies through into the cesspool that is now college football. I'm not gonna try and recount all the violations of facts, institutional integrity and traditions their actions exposed. There are too many. But I'll mention a few, then move on to the longterm implications and finally, a response.

The College Football Playoff Selection Committee is composed of 13 individuals that are mostly AD's with extensive ties to the NCAA governance and administrative boards. All have football in their biographies in one form or another; one is a former AA and Walter Payton Man of the Year; even the only "professor" is really a journalist who wrote for the USA Today for 14 years and was the first female chair of the Football Writer's Association. There is a healthy sprinkling of individuals who represent the diversity interests of CF and a couple of individuals not employed by a university. Basically it looks like a typical committee formed by the NCAA or athletic conferences to oversee the interests of the members; you know, looks like a camel, but was suppose to be a horse. There are some interesting connections. e.g. if you're wondering why the committee found it so easy to ignore the Michigan cheating scandal, look no further than the fact that the U of M AD, Warde Manuel, is a member of the committee. How is the committee charged to select? Here's an excerpt (my emphasis italicized):

OVERVIEW​

The College Football Playoff (CFP) is a postseason event to determine college football’s national champion on the field, while emphasizing the significance of college football’s unique regular season where every game counts.

RANKINGS​

The selection committee ranks the teams based on the members’ evaluation of the teams’ performance on the field, using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and comparison of results against common opponents to decide among teams that are comparable.

SELECTION COMMITTEE RESPONSIBILITIES​

• Rank the top 25 teams and assign the top four to Playoff Semifinal sites.
  • Assign teams to selected New Year’s bowls.
    • Create competitive matchups.
    • Attempt to avoid rematches of regular-season games and repeat appearances in specific bowls.
    • Consider geography.

I'll pause a moment here while you let those words sink in. Sunday's decision is diametrically opposed to the tenants the organization says governs their actions. Every FSU regular season game accounted for nothing. Boo said the committee concluded that FSU was a different team without Jordan Travis. The longterm implications of this aspect of the decision are profound. That can't be better demonstrated than what Jordan himself said in his statement released in response to the announcement that FSU was out. He said, "I wish I had broken my leg earlier so everyone could see that this team is more than one person." Yup, Ole Boo and his boys disincentivized playing through pain and determination for your team because the reward might be to lose the opportunity to compete for the championship. Nicely done committee.

Clearly, the 2023 rankings ignored the head to head results, strength of schedule, conference championships won as it applies to FSU. What was honored was that an undefeated in the conference SEC Champion could not be excluded. Of course there was the little matter of Alabama losing a home game to non SEC Texas. So that had to be ignored or rationalized. No matter; we'll just invite them so we can have the possibility of a rematch. Oh wait! We're suppose to "avoid rematches of regular season games". Let's just pretend that doesn't apply since it can't happen until the final. Maybe no one will notice.

Ok enough of rehashing the mental judo done to get the results ESPN demanded. Let's look at some implications for the long term.

The ACC should be very wary of their "partnership" with ESPN. Despite Corrigan's position on the committee and representing the ACC, the ACC Championship in 2023 was dismissed as an inconvenience to the CFPSC. It was expendable to secure what the broadcast partner required. And that partner is also the the CFPSC's partner and the SECN's partner. I don't think that word "partner" means to ESPN what it means to Jim Phillips. One thing for sure ESPN isn't silent partner.

Speaking of Jim Phillips, he was one of there crucial votes that postponed the expansion of the CFP in 2023. If the expansion was in effect now and included all the NY 6 bowl games, isn't interesting that #5 FSU would be paired with #6 UGa in the OB; #7 v #9 in the Cotton; #10 v #11 in the Peach w/ #8 having to abide by current rules and play the non P5 representative Liberty. Essentially the committee created the playoff matches that would have appeared in the expanded format were it in place this year. How you like them apples, Mr. Phillips? Your conference lost out because you didn't play ball. Are you paying attention Boo?

So what's a likely outcome of the matchups? If Michigan wins the NC and the NCAA subsequently determines that the school lost institutional control of its cheating athletic department and HC, what does that do the the College Football Playoff Selection Committee's brand? Or what if Alabama 14-1 wins it all and you have a 14-0 FSU squad still standing. Can you say Corrupt Championship? How does the expanded CFP repair their brand as the new 12 team format will impact injuries, length of season and interrupts traditional rivalries? Just when they need maximum fan support, they self inflict a positionally mortal wound to the expanded playoff selection process.

Finally, the amount of money the broadcasters have invested comes at a price. They will call the shots on who is and who is not included going forward. Academia meet raw capitalism. The days of pretending that School Presidents and Chancellors are the arbiters of fairness and integrity are obliterated. That ripple will upend a number of ships in the end.

So what to do? Some have suggested boycott of the OB. Others encourage players to protest and opt out. A few even called for FSU to agree to play and not show up o_O . First we earned a bid to the Orange Bowl by winning on Saturday night. A loss would have likely put us in the Peach; maybe the Cotton or worse, the Fiesta against Liberty. The OB didn't snub us and you won't impact ESPN w/ a boycott; you'll only hurt FSU's longterm rations with the bowls which we are dependent on for an invitation. My uniformed take is, we are Florida State University. We have been confronted by snobs and elitist since we began playing male sports. As Bill McGrotha once wrote we didn't knock nicely to be admitted, we kicked the door in and took up a chair at the table. Coach Mike Norvell has rebuilt the program on the solid foundation of the tradition of the Unconquered Spirit of the Seminole Tribe of Florida. They never surrendered. I suspect CMN will challenge his team to return and meet Georgia in the OB first for the sake of the other teammates. It would be a further crime if Darrell Jackson was unable to play with Fiske, Lovett, Verse and the rest of that defense. It would be similarly criminal if Rodemaker couldn't lead the offense of Coleman, Wilson, Benson, Smith, Washington and Bell. It's bad enough to be unable to play because illegal, deliberate shots to the head by a belly draggin' rival, but for that penalty to extended into the bowl game just seems too much. He'll urge them to return for the sake of their parents and fans and for Florida State's spirit. Finally let's finish for #13 and provide proof for his assertion that this team is more than one person. Let's make Boo explain how a one loss faux champion can be named over an undefeated P5 conference and OB champion who defeated the current defending NC.

Go Noles

HUGE change proposed by NCAA to split Division I into ...

the big boys and next-level programs. It seems like this could be the trigger for the Big 4 (soon to be Big 3?) to dump their little sisters of the poor programs (Vandy, Wake, etc.). Decent read that introduces subject, but doesn't draw conclusions, but certainly would have huge ramifications. Schools will have to decide if they can be/want to be "all-in" or not. If you want to be big, you're going to have to pony-up.

Football Duke DE transfer R.J. Oben sets FSU official visit date

R.J. Oben, who has appeared in 50 games at defensive end over the last five seasons at Duke, will be taking an official visit to FSU next week, the Osceola has learned today.

Football Duke DE transfer R.J. Oben sets FSU official visit date

R.J. Oben, who has appeared in 50 games at defensive end over the last five seasons at Duke, will be taking an official visit to FSU next week, the Osceola has learned today.

Football FSU NIL collective The Battle's End sees membership surge after CFP snub

The FSU fanbase has rallied in support of NIL collective The Battle's End in the two days since the Seminoles' shocking College Football Playoff snub, with 900 new members joining.

If you're interested in joining, go to TheBattlesEnd.com.

Alex Mastromanno named CBS Sports All-American

FSU sports information:

Florida State redshirt junior punter Alex Mastromanno was named a second-team All-American Wednesday by CBS Sports/247Sports. Mastromanno is also one of three finalists for the Ray Guy Award, presented to the nation’s top punter.

The Melbourne, Australia, native has averaged 45.3 yards on 60 punts this season, with 17 traveling over 50 yards, 24 downed inside the 20-yard line and 35 fair catches. Mastromanno’s average ranks 19th nationally and third in the ACC, while Florida State is No. 5 nationally with a net average of 43.2 yards.

Mastromanno punted nine times in the ACC Championship Game Saturday against No. 4 Louisville, with a career-high seven punts being fair caught.

Against Clemson and Miami, Mastromanno kicked a career-high four 50-yard punts. Against the Hurricanes, a 52-yard punt was downed at the 2-yard line, a 55-yarder was fair caught at the Miami 18, a 51-yarder out of bounds at the Miami 5 and another 51-yard punt downed at the Miami 16. His three other punts that day traveled 44, 44 and 46 yards.

His four punts at Clemson traveled 59, 57, 52 and 51 yards, with the latter downed at the 3-yard line.

Mastromanno had a season-high 59-yard punt against Clemson, Virginia Tech and Pitt. He was a Ray’s 8 National Punter of the Week against Clemson and Pitt.

Mastromanno began the season with three punts against No. 5 LSU with a long of 51 yards. He has a 50-yard punt in 9 of 12 games this season.

Mastromanno is fourth in FSU single-season history with a 45.3 average, just 0.6 yards per punt behind No. 2. For his career, Mastromanno has punted 190 times with a 43.5 average, 34 50-yard punts and 63 downed inside the 20.

Undefeated Florida State (13-0) will face Georgia (12-1) in the Capital One Orange Bowl on Dec. 30 at 4 p.m.

The potential to win

Talking with somebody who made a very good point. Technically, based on what we have seen this season, and what happened this season. . .the only team in Florida with even the potential to win a National Championship was Florida. FSU proved that even going undefeated in the ACC gets you left out, which means Miami would have suffered the same fate. Then, you look at UCF, USF, FIU, FAMU whoever, they had absolutely no chance had they won every game on their slate too. Pretty crazy when you think about it. The only team that even had the possibility of an invite was the team from the SEC.

Football Reaction to Paul Finebaum’s comments

this is a letter I sent to the Paul Finebaum show.

Good morning, Mr. Finebaum, and thank you for your assessment of this year’s Florida State University football team last Sunday in your discussion with Matt Barrie.

It is plausible because, while Florida State’s team is well coached…exceptionally so…and still is good even with the loss of QB Jordan Travis, it is not yet elite or great.

Keep in mind that the Seminoles also are one of two or three power five teams that are tough…both mentally and physically,…perhaps the toughest of them all…and this toughness under Coach Norvell well may become determinative sooner rather than later.

Near the end of your assessment you said that Florida State was once was a “teachers college”.

Why?

What is the relevance of your “teachers college” statement to your otherwise plausible assessment of Florida State’s 2023 football

In view of you your interest in and your lack of knowledge about, about Florida State’s history, and if you would like to have it, I can email to you my old speech outline…with citations from histories written by both FSU and UF faculty…of the unique, unprecedented and specially-intertwined histories, since 1851, of both the Florida State University and the University of Florida.

Today, however, just to share some facts I documented years ago, you might find it interesting anecdotally:

• that the undergrad members of the 1904 Florida State football team (it was then a college and not yet a university) became members of the first ever official football team of the then brand new University of Florida in 1905 (because those players no longer could go to college in Tallahsssee when Florida State became a women’s college after 55 years as a male or predominantly male institution);

• that the Head Coach (Jack “PeeWee” Forsythe) of that 1904 Florida State football team became in 1905 the first-ever head coach of the Gainesville team;

• that the first ever Rhodes Scholar from any higher education institution in Florida was Fred “Fritz” Buccholz “ who was a star football player on that 1904 Florida State football team;

• that Albert A Murphree, the great president of the UF from 1909 - 1927 , was an alumnus of the Florida State College,(earlier the West Florida public seminary) where he earned a masters degree;

• that FSU and UF are ranked academically by USN&WR in the top 25 of over 200 public universities and in the top 60 out of over 400 public and private universities combined and currently the Florida public university system is ranked the best in the country;

• that FSU (Taxol) and UF (Gatorade) rank 1 and 2 in the magnitude of royalties earned from university research over all other public and private universities in the United Stares;

• that the state”s first prestgious phi beta kappa chapter was chartered at Florida State in 1935 because the then FSCW was so nationally strong academically (while teachers colleges are wonderful and important, the FSCW never was one);

• that several Nobel laureates have been Florida State faculty members. numbering more than at any other Florida university; and,

• that, as I’ve written before, while both the Florida State University and the University of Florida are comprehensive institutions with a variety of schools and colleges in each ( the UF has more for historic reasons), it is by analogy noteworthy that FSU is the “gold mine” of our state (in the U of Michigan science and liberal arts academic tradition) and the University of Florida is our “diamond mine” (in the UC Davis or Michigan State land grant academic tradition) …and that both gold and diamonds, while different, are essential to society.

Hopefully you’ll appreciate this clarification because you are very good and much appreciated.

Thank you, Sir.

Best,
Kenza

PS: just so you know, I’m an octogenarian still practicing law who represented Coach Bobby Bowden in his early years in Tallahsssee and who chartered and incorporated the first Florida State University Research Foundation

Football Column: Decision is hypocritical to collegiate values and yet motivational

I didn't bother even trying to sleep Saturday night, partly because I was so filled with adrenalin after watching Florida State's defensive performance, which was one for the ages, together with the dread that the committee would do exactly what they did on Sunday. Still I was shocked when their decision was made public and felt absolutely naueous for the players, coaches and our readers. I chose to sleep on my anger before publishing my thoughts. Here they are.

Decision is hypocritical, motivational

Heisman Locked….

I was thinking about the Heisman and the potential candidates…

Voters use their “expert” opinions to decide to who they feel is the overall best athlete, impact player, leader for team. This person is a player whose absence makes a significant impact in the results / stats. A player who is considered the heart beat

Off the field - this player is a shining example in and out the classroom and everyday life. A young man who is selfless. As you can see it takes an extraordinary man to win it.

With that said, there isn’t a need for a single vote on who should win! That Winner is JT without a question. He exhibits all of the off field qualities. Here is why he is without a doubt Heisman W….
Based on all of these guru’s and expert analysis have talked non stop about how much
JT brings to his team and that the impact of his absence is so great we are all of a sudden incapable of beating UF at home w/ Tate and we def did NOT have a prayer winning the ACC w/ 3rd team QB to write the ticket to big show the CFP.
With that said there is NOT a SINGLE player who could make the same impact for their team and such a great player you team drops out even though they are perfect.
Reactions: jaap
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT