ADVERTISEMENT

#100pagesnatty Thread 11/08/18 #63pagesnattynumber1 #106pagesnattynumber2

I'm curious if everyone who knocked Jimbo for a lack of loyalty will hold Taggart to the same standard, since he's now coached at three different programs in one calendar year?

Jimbo stopped recruiting over a month ago. Taggart was on a recruiting trip for Oregon yesterday. This coaching business sucks and who knows if Taggart jumps ship again but from what I’ve seen of how he handled all of this, it is light years above Jimbo.

Jimbo stopped recruiting over a month ago. Taggart was on a recruiting trip for Oregon yesterday. This coaching business sucks and who knows if Taggart jumps ship again but from what I’ve seen of how he handled all of this, it is light years above Jimbo.
Isn't that even worse?

If Taggart was out telling kids yesterday to come play for him in Oregon, then today he jumps ship, isn't that a lot more dishonest than if Jimbo stopped recruiting because he through he might not be there?. I don't have the details behind any of that, but it seems like it's worse if Taggart was indicating to recruits yesterday that he was going to be the coach at Oregon.

Still, three schools in one year comes across to me as way less loyal than changing schools after eight years.

Isn't that even worse?

If Taggart was out telling kids yesterday to come play for him in Oregon, then today he jumps ship, isn't that a lot more dishonest than if Jimbo stopped recruiting because he through he might not be there?. I don't have the details behind any of that, but it seems like it's worse if Taggart was indicating to recruits yesterday that he was going to be the coach at Oregon.

Still, three schools in one year comes across to me as way less loyal than changing schools after eight years.
These kids are all on social media, so they knew what was going on.

Reactions: noleclone2
Isn't that even worse?

No, a lot of those kids will still go to Oregon because of him. He did not make himself bigger than the program like Jimbo did.

fat-man-dancing-animated-gif.gif
I didn't know Cman had a pool!

I don't have the details behind any of that,

That's all you had to say. There are details out there from people referenced in this thread that answer your question about how up front he was throughout this process which started last Wednesday.

Last edited:
I was feeling good. Now that I see how salty Oregon fans are, I’m feeling great. You know he’s good.

My feelings on:
  1. Jimbo - Maybe it was for the best.
  2. Trickett and Kelly - Good guys, it just didn’t work out. I wish them all the best.
  3. Pruitt - Negative rumors and ill will.

Reactions: noleclone2
Isn't that even worse?

I think it’s better than what Jimbo did because he works for the school and continued to do his job. The reports about the recent visits by the recruits themselves state that Willie was professional, personable and did not talk about his relationship with them but rather how great the University of Oregon is. He spoke with his team and told them the truth before he even spoke with FSU. Contrast with the reports of what FSU players are saying about how awkward Jimbo was with them and that some of them refused to even play Saturday if he coached. Some even threatened transfer if Jimbo came back. Willie wanted FSU to wait on breaking the news so he could schedule a meeting with his team to tell them before they found out on social media. He was upfront to the school about talking with FSU. Besides the actual act of bailing on the school and his team, he handles it in the complete opposite way of Jimbo.

Just started following Taggart and Leavitt on Twitter. Leavitt is either being paid by Pepsi or has a really weird obsession. I haven't decided on him other than he will be better than CK, but better stock the fridges with Pepsi. IMO Coke is way better.

On coaches, better keep Odell. I think Kelly and Trickett are good men and wish them well. Would like to keep Brewster, but see him following Jimbo. With the rest, I am undecided.

Welcome Home, Coach Taggart. Let's dominate.

If Taggart was out telling kids yesterday to come play for him in Oregon, then today he jumps ship, isn't that a lot more dishonest than if Jimbo stopped recruiting because he through he might not be there?
You are making thinks up here. He most likely told them to come play for Oregon, not him.
He handled this professionally and above board unlike Jimbolt.

Isn't that even worse?

There is a way to do that and still be honest. Now if JF really stopped recruiting over a month ago that is a really an indictment of his character. I have to wonder if as this unfolded the boosters and FSU called him out and said hey coach we know you did a few things here that breached your contract and were unethical. Maybe all the stuff going on the week JF left was more about what we would get, rather than trying to keep JF.

Reactions: RTM58
The Taggart hire is being criticized onGolic and Wingo. Not from the FSU side but for Taggart leaving after only one year at Oregon. Kind of like Russ was saying.

I get the criticism of Taggart for moving on from each job in a short time; I'm fine with it because each of his moves were perfectly logical. Moved from his alma mater, WKU, to USF - a clear step up the ladder from a small school to a bigger one. Same for going from USF to Oregon - a step from a mid-level program to one with a much stronger recent track record and much higher potential. The move from Oregon to FSU is pretty much a lateral move in terms of quality of the program, but it's a move back to his home state from almost as far away as he could've been.

Reactions: BelemNole and RTM58
I get the criticism of Taggart for moving on from each job in a short time; I'm fine with it because each of his moves were perfectly logical. Moved from his alma mater, WKU, to USF - a clear step up the ladder from a small school to a bigger one. Same for going from USF to Oregon - a step from a mid-level program to one with a much stronger recent track record and much higher potential. The move from Oregon to FSU is pretty much a lateral move in terms of quality of the program, but it's a move back to his home state from almost as far away as he could've been.

Yea I was listening when they did that. I can understand them making that point; however maybe they should do some research so they can present a more fair debate. Taggart is from Florida and even his family wore FSU gear when the team he was coaching played us. I think that at least sheds light on the subject. Lets be honest if this was about money he would still be at Oregon.

I'm curious if everyone who knocked Jimbo for a lack of loyalty will hold Taggart to the same standard, since he's now coached at three different programs in one calendar year?

Did Taggart publicly challenge the loyalty of the fans, players, recruits, and boosters during the season? If so, he should be held to the same standard. I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Did Taggart publicly challenge the loyalty of the fans, players, recruits, and boosters during the season? If so, he should be held to the same standard?
I don't know. And my intent wasn't to parse through every action of Jimbo and/or Taggart over the last season. Just making the observation that if you're comparing loyalty to their current programs, Taggart doesn't exactly come across as the most loyal coach.

Growing up weren't we all taught that a resume full of job-hopping makes you look bad to potential employers? I know it's not the same thing when you're talking about coaching, but I still don't think it looks real good to see him so willing to bail on his team and his kids every year in order to keep taking that next step up.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I don't expect loyalty from coaches any more although I'd like it. I do expect for coaches to be honest and upfront. Taggart seems to have done so. FSU is his dream job (Reportedly) and he told the players before the meeting that he was going to listen because it was his dream job. Compare that to Jimbo and his snide "I'm just not gonna talk about it" and getting pissed when people asked personality who mislead the players, stopped doing his job recruiting, challenged fans to fights if they dared to question him, and then dissed FSU in his opening press conference at aTm. Taggart has done none of that.

I can understand people dissing him for leaving Oregon after one year, but FSU is a step up in caliber of program (Oregon has money but no tradition or championships), and if FSU is his dream job then I don't think anyone can really diss him too much. You don't pass on your dreams when they have a chance to become reality.

None of that applies to Fisher.

I don't know. And my intent wasn't to parse through every action of Jimbo and/or Taggart over the last season. Just making the observation that if you're comparing loyalty to their current programs, Taggart doesn't exactly come across as the most loyal coach.

Growing up weren't we all taught that a resume full of job-hopping makes you look bad to potential employers? I know it's not the same thing when you're talking about coaching, but I still don't think it looks real good to see him so willing to bail on his team and his kids every year in order to keep taking that next step up.

Russ, FSU showed Jimbo incredible loyalty, $40M worth, less than a year ago. The loyalty issue with most fans isn't about Jimbo leaving, it's how he left. It's how he treated people. It's how he left his players and coaches in the dark about his intentions. It's evidenced by the trash talk we've heard from him in his press conferences this week. It's evidenced by recruits saying they didn't hear from anyone for weeks. It's evidenced by players saying they would transfer if Jimbo coached the ULM game.

While some things may be subtle to people who don't care, there's a difference in saying "I've been approached about a change and I have to consider it", and "I'm not talking about it; it's clutter".

Russ, FSU showed Jimbo incredible loyalty, $40M worth, less than a year ago. The loyalty issue with most fans isn't about Jimbo leaving, it's how he left. It's how he treated people. It's how he left his players and coaches in the dark about his intentions. It's evidenced by the trash talk we've heard from him in his press conferences this week. It's evidenced by recruits saying they didn't hear from anyone for weeks. It's evidenced by players saying they would transfer if Jimbo coached the ULM game.

While some things may be subtle to people who don't care, there's a difference in saying "I've been approached about a change and I have to consider it", and "I'm not talking about it; it's clutter".
Fair enough.

And you're right - I'm not as personally invested in it as a lot of you.

I guess I see it along the lines of the adage of "if they'll cheat with you, they'll cheat on you". Maybe this is his dream destination though, and he wouldn't think of leaving for anywhere else - even for a lot more money.

The Taggart hire is being criticized onGolic and Wingo. Not from the FSU side but for Taggart leaving after only one year at Oregon. Kind of like Russ was saying.

Taggart essentially worked for free. He earned $2.9m and will pay a $3m buyout. They knew this was a possibility and structured his contract accordingly. Only in college football would the dude working for free be criticized.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUTribe76
Taggart essentially worked for free. He earned $2.9m and will pay a $3m buyout. They knew this was a possibility and structured his contract accordingly. Only in college football would a dude working for free be criticized.
He's not paying that $3M out of his own pocket, is he?

It’s taken into the calculus of his contract negotiation with FSU. He’s paying for it one way or the other.
I guess I always thought one of the boosters or someone paid that as an incentive to get the new coach to come over. Never really considered whether it was categorized as revenue for the coach, if a third party paid that amount to the school. Too many rules!

Taggart essentially worked for free. He earned $2.9m and will pay a $3m buyout. They knew this was a possibility and structured his contract accordingly. Only in college football would the dude working for free be criticized.
Exactly. If Oregon wanted to make a long term commitment to Taggart, they would have given him a long term contract. You can't have it both ways.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40011779-4

A visibly emotional Willie Taggart says as he and his wife were mulling over the decision: "My 16-year-old son came in and out of nowhere he said, 'Dad, I know you're struggling with this decision and I know it's your dream job. You always tell me to chase my dreams and don't let anyone get in the way of it. I don't think it's right for me or anyone else to stop you from chasing your dreams. If you're going to chase your dream, I'm going to ride with you."

There is something in my eye. Don’t mind me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT