ADVERTISEMENT

#100pagesnatty Thread 11/08/18 #63pagesnattynumber1 #106pagesnattynumber2

Why do I feel like the past few years we've been "Practice Report Champions" and then when the season starts I wonder why the team plays so poorly? Is there some sort of Warchant Preseason Hype Machine at work?????

I’m not yet ready to give up on Taggert, if only based on some of the clips of the O line I saw. Some of those guys were barely moving.

Now if that stuff is still happening in game 8 or 9, then maybe he’s not the right guy.
Best to have the Gofundme in place, so if that occurs the administration can't use the $$ excuse. It still has a ways to go though. o_O

We have zero depth at tackle and injuries have forced us to play back up-back up guards (or defensive tackles) who have no business being there who were never developed under the old regime. And so you get people who can't block a throw pillow.

Reactions: cmanole and DFSNOLE
There's a good article on a competing website that describes the difficulties our line is having and why they looked ok in the spring and are hot garbage now.
Man, I didn't know Mia Khalifa retired! And Hockman to NC State?! Dam.

Unfortunately, I think we do owe Taggart the benefit of the doubt and the chance to get a full season under his belt, but we should be prepared to move on quickly if season two goes like the first one. Do we have the resources to buy out his contract?

Think about how bad Taggart must feel...this guys loves FSU. It's his dream job. He's not a carpet bagger like Meyer or Fisher.

I agree with this. I really want Willie to succeed here. I was thinking this season might be a little rocky, but I had no idea it'd be this bad.
IMO, most of this on Jimbo.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Man, I didn't know Mia Khalifa retired! And Hockman to NC State?! Dam.

Hockman to Wolfpack is just the perfect kick in the nuts this season ordered. Some of us speculated he left because he was pouting about playtime. Others wondered if it was just the other guys were so good he knew he would not see the field. I now am thinking as the fall camp closed and he saw how awful the line was, he was like...
nope.gif

We have zero depth at tackle and injuries have forced us to play back up-back up guards (or defensive tackles) who have no business being there who were never developed under the old regime. And so you get people who can't block a throw pillow.

And almost all of this is on Jimmy James Joe Bob and Trickett, as we are currently at 11 semihealthy OLineman including 3 true freshman and some converted Dlinemen. Alabama has 17 and Georgia has 16. That is TERRIBLE recruiting planning by ole Jimmy James Jim Joe Jim Bob and company.

And almost all of this is on Jimmy James Joe Bob and Trickett, as we are currently at 11 semihealthy OLineman including 3 true freshman and some converted Dlinemen. Alabama has 17 and Georgia has 16. That is TERRIBLE recruiting planning by ole Jimmy James Jim Joe Jim Bob and company.

We recruited ONE o-lineman in the 2017 class?
Had some dudes quit for medical reasons and another transfer has put us in a serious hole.

Our tackles deserve new uniforms.

360DC24A00000578-3687269-image-a-26_1468359151617.jpg

Reactions: noleclone2
I heard Hockman was visiting NCSt which surprised me since there are conditions that usually come with the granting of the transfer like you can't go to a team in your own conference.
He transfered to a Juco for this year, so I don't think those rules apply (I could be wrong).

Not gonna contribute to some whore's gfm page.

There is a post on the TCCL that basically shows that OL star ratings are easily overinflated. Our guys just aren't that good. Great in high school against smaller guys, but now they are up against better DLs and they get punched in the mouth and wither.

I am at a work meeting right now. The first thing the speaker says, in front of 500 people, is "What did the Syracuse coach say to his players when they embarrassed Florida State this weekend?" I can't even escape this season at work. SMH

Reactions: noleclone2
Not gonna contribute to some whore's gfm page.

There is a post on the TCCL that basically shows that OL star ratings are easily overinflated. Our guys just aren't that good. Great in high school against smaller guys, but now they are up against better DLs and they get punched in the mouth and wither.

It's a little more than that, Bud Elliot has a great write-up on the situation that came out yesterday I believe. Basically not only is it bad recruiting (both in terms of not getting the simple numbers we need AND getting decent quality players), injuries, lack of development and simple unwillingness to work.....but in addition to ALL of this we also lost Andrew Boselli the son of Tony Boselli to transfer (I believe NC State as well), Brock Ruble to transfer to Toledo and Josh Ball due to domestic violence issues. Ball and Ruble would both have started over our current garbage at Tackles and Boselli would at least provide depth at guard.

Pretty sure we are not in the same league as them...

At least not at OLine. After years of pretty terrible OLine play....this year's version is still several standard deviations worse than any of our previous poor lines.

Honestly, the only thing I'm upset with WT is that I honestly think he believes this OLine could block and didn't plan accordingly. I don't think he was "lying", I think he honestly believed the OLine was adequate which is kind of scary.

At least not at OLine. After years of pretty terrible OLine play....this year's version is still several standard deviations worse than any of our previous poor lines.

Honestly, the only thing I'm upset with WT is that I honestly think he believes this OLine could block and didn't plan accordingly. I don't think he was "lying", I think he honestly believed the OLine was adequate which is kind of scary.

And no real clear change at any point to try something different. Gotta go watch last chance U and see if we can bring in any of those OL. But hey, he knows more about football than I and knows these players as well. <hate to think there is no fix>

Now I am hoping on N Ill, WF, UF, BC and a flier to hit 6. That feels like an impossible task.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
The Best College Football Programs Of The 1990s Are Suddenly Terrible
Florida State and Nebraska used to be unbeatable. What happened?

When I was growing up in the 1990s, it was hard to imagine the football programs at Florida State and Nebraska ever losing steam. The Huskers won national championships in 1994, 1995 and 1997;Sharing the final one with Michigan.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...rams-of-the-1990s-are-suddenly-terrible/#fn-1
FSU took its own titles in 1993 and 1999 (plus went to two more BCS Championship Games, in 1998 and 2000). The two dynasties edged out Florida and Tennessee for the most victories in Division I-A in the ’90s, winning 218 games combined Counting ties as half-wins.
during the decade.

Those halcyon days are a distant memory now, after a weekend that saw Florida State lose to Syracuse for the first time since 1966 — and saw Nebraska do the Seminoles one better, starting a season 0-2 for the first time since 1957. Now they’re part of a group of formerly great teams that have started the 2018 season as badly as any version of their programs have in the past several decades.

It isn’t as if the Seminoles and Huskers have been in the dumps for this whole century, mind you: FSU won the 2013 national championship and made the College Football Playoff the following year. (It wasn’t long ago that the Seminoles were so unfazed by Syracuse that they were literally playing Hangman on the sidelines.) Nebraska won at least nine games in seven straight seasons (from 2008 to 2014). Neither stretch was as dominant as their respective heydays, though, and those runs in the 1990s had long since warped expectations for subsequent generations at each school. Although former FSU coach Jimbo Fisher spurned the Seminoles as much as they moved on from him, the Huskers fired ex-coach Bo Pelini because merely being a Top-25 fixture wasn’t enough in Lincoln.Though Pelini’s temper didn’t help matters, either.

Florida State hired Willie Taggart last offseason, while Nebraska brought aboard former Husker QB Scott Frost to great fanfare after Mike Riley’s brief, mostly disastrous time at the team’s helm.

The early returns have been discouraging, to say the least. According to FiveThirtyEight’s Elo ratings, which measure the strength of each program over time, Saturday’s losses dropped Florida State to 55th in the country, while Nebraska fell to an astonishing 79th. In terms of Elo through the current stage of the season,Meaning the same number of games into a season as the team has currently played.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...rams-of-the-1990s-are-suddenly-terrible/#fn-4
The Seminoles haven’t rated this low (a 1547 rating) after three games in a campaign since 1976, which was legendary coach Bobby Bowden’s first season at FSU. The last time the Huskers started a season rated this poorly (1423 Elo) was an astonishing 61 years ago.

They’re not alone among all-time great programs struggling this year, either. UCLA, with almost 600 wins to its name, is 0-3 under new coach Chip Kelly and has seen its Elo dip to a 74-year low. Tennessee, which also dominated the college football landscape of my youth with great QBs like Heath Shuler, Peyton Manning and Tee Martin, is as bad as it’s been in 63 years. And Florida — which won Saturday against Colorado State but infamously snapped its 31-year winning streak against Kentucky the week before — is sitting at a 39-year low point. Among programs with at least 300 all-time wins and a 60 percent winning percentage, those are the five teams that are currently playing as badly as they have in at least 35 years.

The rest here https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-programs-of-the-1990s-are-suddenly-terrible/

We are not practicing properly because neither coaches nor team appear ready for game situations. Nothing translates...I don't know if it's music or too little hitting but we have no football IQ.

The Best College Football Programs Of The 1990s Are Suddenly Terrible
Florida State and Nebraska used to be unbeatable. What happened?

When I was growing up in the 1990s, it was hard to imagine the football programs at Florida State and Nebraska ever losing steam. The Huskers won national championships in 1994, 1995 and 1997;Sharing the final one with Michigan.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...rams-of-the-1990s-are-suddenly-terrible/#fn-1
FSU took its own titles in 1993 and 1999 (plus went to two more BCS Championship Games, in 1998 and 2000). The two dynasties edged out Florida and Tennessee for the most victories in Division I-A in the ’90s, winning 218 games combined Counting ties as half-wins.
during the decade.

Those halcyon days are a distant memory now, after a weekend that saw Florida State lose to Syracuse for the first time since 1966 — and saw Nebraska do the Seminoles one better, starting a season 0-2 for the first time since 1957. Now they’re part of a group of formerly great teams that have started the 2018 season as badly as any version of their programs have in the past several decades.

It isn’t as if the Seminoles and Huskers have been in the dumps for this whole century, mind you: FSU won the 2013 national championship and made the College Football Playoff the following year. (It wasn’t long ago that the Seminoles were so unfazed by Syracuse that they were literally playing Hangman on the sidelines.) Nebraska won at least nine games in seven straight seasons (from 2008 to 2014). Neither stretch was as dominant as their respective heydays, though, and those runs in the 1990s had long since warped expectations for subsequent generations at each school. Although former FSU coach Jimbo Fisher spurned the Seminoles as much as they moved on from him, the Huskers fired ex-coach Bo Pelini because merely being a Top-25 fixture wasn’t enough in Lincoln.Though Pelini’s temper didn’t help matters, either.

Florida State hired Willie Taggart last offseason, while Nebraska brought aboard former Husker QB Scott Frost to great fanfare after Mike Riley’s brief, mostly disastrous time at the team’s helm.

The early returns have been discouraging, to say the least. According to FiveThirtyEight’s Elo ratings, which measure the strength of each program over time, Saturday’s losses dropped Florida State to 55th in the country, while Nebraska fell to an astonishing 79th. In terms of Elo through the current stage of the season,Meaning the same number of games into a season as the team has currently played.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...rams-of-the-1990s-are-suddenly-terrible/#fn-4
The Seminoles haven’t rated this low (a 1547 rating) after three games in a campaign since 1976, which was legendary coach Bobby Bowden’s first season at FSU. The last time the Huskers started a season rated this poorly (1423 Elo) was an astonishing 61 years ago.

They’re not alone among all-time great programs struggling this year, either. UCLA, with almost 600 wins to its name, is 0-3 under new coach Chip Kelly and has seen its Elo dip to a 74-year low. Tennessee, which also dominated the college football landscape of my youth with great QBs like Heath Shuler, Peyton Manning and Tee Martin, is as bad as it’s been in 63 years. And Florida — which won Saturday against Colorado State but infamously snapped its 31-year winning streak against Kentucky the week before — is sitting at a 39-year low point. Among programs with at least 300 all-time wins and a 60 percent winning percentage, those are the five teams that are currently playing as badly as they have in at least 35 years.

The rest here https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-programs-of-the-1990s-are-suddenly-terrible/

Having lived in Omaha 3 years in the 90s and having married an Iowa State fan, I am quite familiar with the downfall of the Huskers. I think it is a bit of a stretch to compare FSU and Nebraska's current states as suddenly two great 90s teams are terrible. Granted, for sure the fans are bitterly disappointed, having gone into the season extremely excited about their respective coaches and the start has been nothing but disappointment. But their tales of how they got here are quite quite different.

The reality is the Huskers have been enduring misery since the last few years of Solich. Bill Callahan was a disaster. Pelinii had them believing every year they would be back and they would always lose 4 games, and acted like a manchild. Mike Riley had 2 losing seasons in his short 3 years. The Huskers have had one .500 season and freakin 4 losing seasons 2003-2017. So there is no "suddenly" to the Nebraska situation. Meanwhile compare to FSU has the longest bowl and winning season streak going and won a Natty 2013 and went undefeated regular season in 2014...which is not that long ago. So there is a suddenly to our situation, bigly. And it fell squarely on FSU making a great hire after their legend but then that guy lost his will to coach and became indifferent. Would not get rid of friends on staff who were terrible coaches. Actually got them raises for last years season.

Both Frost and WT deserve some time though and a pass. The teams they inherited were not great. The media seems to forget this, especially with FSU. The SEC lovers all hail Jimbo as a coaching god and gloss over that he left FSU 5-6 and if not for getting ULM to come play us, he would have taken FSU from an undefeated regular season in 2014 to one of our worst in 40 years by 2017.

Maybe worth pointing out some things.
We started last year 2-5
BC embarrassed us 35-3
Our 7 wins were Delaware State, ULM, Southern Miss, Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse and Florida (of course) and Duke, Wake, and especially Cuse all played us close....

We were a dumpster fire. Some of us, myself included, wanted to pretend this was not the case. It was. Thank goodness we recruited well last year and still are for this year.

Last edited:
We are not practicing properly because neither coaches nor team appear ready for game situations. Nothing translates...I don't know if it's music or too little hitting but we have no football IQ.

So do you think the staff will change the atmosphere at practice and become more serious and business-like? Ban the music and social media privileges until they get things turned around? Treat all the fun as a reward for returning to winning? They have to #Trysomething!

We were a dumpster fire. Some of us, myself included, wanted to pretend this was not the case. It was. Thank goodness we recruited well last year and still are for this year.

True. I sort of knew it was coming to an end when I called a friend after the NC State game last year and told him that I didn't think Jimbo wanted to be in Tallahassee anymore. It was horrible team and it showed, but at the time I thought it was all on Jimbo. Some of that is still probably true, but some of it is on the fact that the Oline was never very good.

And no real clear change at any point to try something different. Gotta go watch last chance U and see if we can bring in any of those OL. But hey, he knows more about football than I and knows these players as well. <hate to think there is no fix>

Now I am hoping on N Ill, WF, UF, BC and a flier to hit 6. That feels like an impossible task.

I honestly don't think there is a fix to the offensive line issues this year. There is no scheme that can compensate for having turnstiles at both tackle positions.

I've seen and heard over and over again, suggested solutions but I don't see them working.

Suggested solutions that won't work

1) "what about moving the pocket" and having DF run to one side or another rather than stay in the center. This works when only one tackle is bad and you're running to the other side or when your guards and center are getting blown up but have a reliable tackle and WRs who can block on the perimeter. But we have ZERO tackles who can play at the FBS level, there is no one to run behind, instead you would be literally running INTO pressure. Plus the WRs haven't been particularly good at blocking although THAT is fixable if they work on it. But we're not fixing bums at the tackle positions.

2) What about max protect with multiple TEs, RBs and FB or HBs who stay in to block? In that case you're allowing even more defenders staying in "the box" making it even easier for defenders to blow up the tackles and the "chip blocks" from little guys are not going to slow up most quality DEs. They're usually taking on LBs or blitzing safeties, a TE or HB versus a DE is a huge mismatch.

3) What about bubble screens and other perimeter plays? Done infrequently they should work a little although so far they've been unsuccessful because our WRs are blocking very poorly (this MIGHT be fixed by week 8 or 9) but done as the major part of the offense this won't work with DEs crashing in the sides, they'll disrupt the passes if not intercept them if it becomes predictable. And we HAVE been running bubble screens and other perimeter passes at about the right rate, it's just been unsuccessful because of poor WR blocking and/or bad passes from a pressured Frenchy.

#100pagesnatty2

So do you think the staff will change the atmosphere at practice and become more serious and business-like? Ban the music and social media privileges until they get things turned around? Treat all the fun as a reward for returning to winning? They have to #Trysomething!
I'm fine with music or whatever but just make your practices game-like, set up drills that are realistic for building awareness, etc. I can run a hockey practice as good as anyone, football I don't know.

I do know our football IQ is nonexistent so whatever is happening in practice is not effective. We're simply not a physical team so something needs to change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT