ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

Matchday is here! I'm on my way to the Camp Nou in a few hours. We drove by it the other day on one of our tours and the place is massive. Saw La Masia where Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, et. al. got their youth training...super cool.

On another note, even though I can't watch it, COYG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beat Spurs!

And there's our opening! The Villains put on a massive effort to hold Citeh to a scoreless draw; spank Hotpants and first place will belong to The Arsenal!

COYG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will take the 1-1 draw against sp*rs today, but it should have been a full 3 points. Arsenal had its ups & downs, but Giroud missed 2 or 3 clean headers on the day. If a striker of his quality gets a free header it should be in the back of the net...or at least on target.

Hopefully after this International break we get a player or 2 back because we are very short handed right now. Bellerin & Walcott were definitely missed today.

City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and the Spurs all combined for a total of 3 points, or what MUFC earned this weekend. Not bad at all!

Holy crap! I decided to sit down and watch the 4 MLS playoff games today, just to get more of a feel for the league and how they play, since Atlanta has a team starting in '18 and I'm on board for 4 season tickets. All I can say is, if this is normal, I can't wait. First two games were exciting, but this Dallas/Seattle match (now into the second part of OT) has been pulsating. 3 goals in the last 4 minutes between the two sides got it to overtime, and the game has been relentless. Good stuff.

Just getting back from Barcelona. Have to say that the visit to the Nou Camp was everything I could've hoped for. And to top things off, Neymar did THIS

I can't believe I saw this live, and right in front of our goal where we were sitting!

Anyone surprised by the Classico hasnt seen what Benitez has done to Madrid. I expected a 3 goal loss, its 4 at the moment. Benitez, the only coach in the world able to shut down Ronaldo and the offense around him. A remarkable overnight accomplishment.

Anyone surprised by the Classico hasnt seen what Benitez has done to Madrid. I expected a 3 goal loss, its 4 at the moment. Benitez, the only coach in the world able to shut down Ronaldo and the offense around him. A remarkable overnight accomplishment.

Benitez is a horrible coach, I wish Liverpool had rehired him instead of Klopp, Liverpool had their shit together at City on Saturday.

Maybe this opens the door just a little more for a CR7 return to MUFC this summer.

Leicester at the top a third of the way through, unbelievable and good for them!

Just read that Coquelin out 2 months with the knee injury. With a bad result in the Bayern/Olympiakos match (anything other than a Bayern win), the Gunners could have their worst week of the campaign.

Most reports saying 3-4 months for Coquelin.

I honestly believe the season is over now. Flamini and Arteta are garbage. There's no replacing him.

As for the Champions League...we're already out of that competition. I would be surprised if AW doesn't field a very weakened side vs Dinamo.

3-4 months is more like it. I heard AW state he is out until the New Year. Nothing like trying to downplay it as that is only 6 weeks away. AW also stated this changes his plans for the January transfer window. It's a shame he didn't think about this back in July/August , he could have signed someone then and we wouldn't have to worry about it now.

Arteta is also hurt (AGAIN), so he won't be filling in. I read that Ramsey returned to training on Monday so hopefully he is good to come back in the next week or two.

As much as I want them to win every game, I would rather see them lose in the CL at this point. There really isn't any point in trying to advance and just adding games to the schedule. Half the team is injured and the other half is tired from not getting much rest.

Get a rare treat and an 11:50 AM kickoff in the CL with BATE and Bayer Leverkusen.

United has up to 10 players hurt, I hate when they play for their countries, so many injuries occur.

So Arsenal roots for bayern today, then Arse needs to beat Olympiacos, away, and in all this process, Arse needs to make up a 4 goal differential. With an Arse win and Olymp. loss today, that's at least 2 goals they make up, then Arse needs to win by 2 in that last game. If that is done, then Arse will win the 3rd tiebreaker, which is the most goals scored against the teams in question.

Very possible. Bayern is up 1-0 in the 13th, Arse needs to start finding the net.

Well, The Arsenal up 3-0 as Sanchez goes on a rampage, and Olympiakos down 4-0 as well. Plus, Terry stretchered off for Cheatski. Great day for me so far.

Well, The Arsenal up 3-0 as Sanchez goes on a rampage, and Olympiakos down 4-0 as well. Plus, Terry stretchered off for Cheatski. Great day for me so far.

Yup, was just texting with Les on this before the match, now the Gunners just have to win at Olympiacos to advance out of the group stage, for what, the 16th straight year? Wenger hasn't won much hardware the past 10 years, but his teams have never quit on him.

I'm confused on the tiebreakers. At this point I thought Arsenal only needed to win at Olympiakos, but I keep hearing they need to win 3-2 or better. Is one of the tiebreakers away goals to where Arsenal needs to either win 2-0 or score 3+ and win by a single goal?

I'm confused on the tiebreakers. At this point I thought Arsenal only needed to win at Olympiakos, but I keep hearing they need to win 3-2 or better. Is one of the tiebreakers away goals to where Arsenal needs to either win 2-0 or score 3+ and win by a single goal?

I heard to commentator say something that they needed to win in Greece by 2 or 3. I tried rewinding to figure out what he said, but his accent made it impossible. UEFA CL tiebreakers are as followed:
  • 1. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question; A push
  • 2. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question; If Arsenal wins by one then it's on to the next tiebreaker, if they win by 2+, they advance to the knockout phase.
  • 3. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question; Olympiacos won the first tie, 3-2, so this tiebreaker will not come into play. If Arse wins by one goal, the total goals will be equal and on to the next tiebreaker. If they win by two+, see tiebreaker #2.
  • 4. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question; If it gets to this tiebreaker, then Arse will have to win 4-3 to advance, if they win 3-2, it's on to the next tiebreaker.
  • 5. if, after having applied criteria 1 to 4, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 12 apply; Stupid, this just tells us to move on to the next tiebreaker.
  • 6. superior goal difference in all group matches; This is why today's 3-0 win and Bayern's big 4-0 win was important, as Olympiacos came into today with a +4 GD over Arsenal.
  • 7. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
  • 8. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
  • 9. higher number of wins in all group matches;
  • 10. higher number of away wins in all group matches;
  • 11. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
  • 12. higher club coefficient.
  • Here is what the Metro lists as to what Arsenal has to do to advance. (which is what I listed on tiebreakers #2 and #3)

Last edited:
I heard to commentator say something that they needed to win in Greece by 2 or 3. I tried rewinding to figure out what he said, but his accent made it impossible. UEFA CL tiebreakers are as followed:
  • 1. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question; A push
  • 2. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question; If Arsenal wins by one then it's on to the next tiebreaker, if they win by 2+, they advance to the knockout phase.
  • 3. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question; Olympiacos won the first tie, 3-2, so this tiebreaker will not come into play. If Arse wins by one goal, the total goals will be equal and on to the next tiebreaker. If they win by two+, see tiebreaker #2.
  • 4. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question; If it gets to this tiebreaker, then Arse will have to win 4-3 to advance, if they win 3-2, it's on to the next tiebreaker.
  • 5. if, after having applied criteria 1 to 4, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 12 apply; Stupid, this just tells us to move on to the next tiebreaker.
  • 6. superior goal difference in all group matches; This is why today's 3-0 win and Bayern's big 4-0 win was important, as Olympiacos came into today with a +4 GD over Arsenal.
  • 7. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
  • 8. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
  • 9. higher number of wins in all group matches;
  • 10. higher number of away wins in all group matches;
  • 11. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
  • 12. higher club coefficient.
  • Here is what the Metro lists as to what Arsenal has to do to advance. (which is what I listed on tiebreakers #2 and #3)
You guys are overthinking the tiebreaker rule.

1) Head-to-head
2) away goals
3) GD in group.

These apply to all 2 team scenarios.

4) if needed consult Manch's list. ;)

In Chelsea's group, there is a very real possibility of a 3 team tie at the top with all of Chelsea, Porto and Kiev with 11 points after matchday 6. In that case, Porto would be going home due to GD amongst the teams. Chelsea's is currently +0, Porto are -1 and Kiev are at +1. This only occurs if Kiev wins (at home vs Maccabi Tel Aviv which should occur since MTA is at 0 points through 5 matchdays) and Chelsea/Porto draw.

EDIT: I edited the part above in Italics.

Last edited:
Sanchez injured now. I guess Gibbs will have to fill in for him too.

Sanchez injured now. I guess Gibbs will have to fill in for him too.

The whole damn team seems to be injured. I really wish they would have just tossed it in for CL this year after losing the first 2 games so they could concentrate on winning EPL. I sure hope Wenger plans to spend in January, and I don't mean for 16-18 year old projects. If he plans to try and get through the season with what he has, they may not be able to field a team come April/May.

Reactions: nole31906
The whole damn team seems to be injured. I really wish they would have just tossed it in for CL this year after losing the first 2 games so they could concentrate on winning EPL. I sure hope Wenger plans to spend in January, and I don't mean for 16-18 year old projects. If he plans to try and get through the season with what he has, they may not be able to field a team come April/May.

Now Cazorla is out until March. But, yeah, I think the most we can hope for from Wenger in January is some 16 year old Spanish protege that he immediately sends out on loan to Bolton.

I think the opposite will happen, but it won't be good. I think he'll buy a lot of players, maybe 3-4...but those players won't be able to integrate quickly enough and it won't matter.

When you're core is intact, you can add a striker and not much changes, but w/Coquelin and Santi both out (while the rest of the team is all hurt too) anyone we add is going to get minutes right away, and they're not going to be versed in Arsenal's style.

These players SHOULD HAVE BEEN BOUGHT BEFORE. Now it's too late, IMO.

Leicester City is at the top of the table in December. Wow.

Huge game for Everton, with so many weekly slip ups their hopes for europe continue to stay alive, despite Martinez attempts to tie everyone.

Defense needs a clean sheet today, Palace are all over the place but i like that they go for 3 pts!

And Martinez does it again, another home draw! Dear lord.....just sell everyone in January u cant tie 15 games and make europe

The Arsenal! Left for dead in the CL, that out of the blue win over Bayern was the catalyst to a stout run. Giroud with the hat trick, Campbell maybe the MOTM, don't you know Wenger will enjoy THIS upcoming press conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT