ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

Through to the Champions League Knockout Stage and the away fans at Aston Villa chanted..."We are top of the League! We are top of the League!" at the end of the match.

What a week!

Come on you, Gunners!!!

Champions League Knockout Round Of 16 Draw:

• KAA Gent vs Vfl Wolfsburg
  • AS Roma vs Real Madrid CF
  • Paris Saint-Germain vs Chelsea FC
  • Arsenal FC vs FC Barcelona
  • Juventus vs FC Bayern Munchen
  • PSV Eindhoven vs Atletico Madrid
  • SL Benfica vs FC Zenit
  • FC Dynamo Kyiv vs Manchester City FC

Devastating draw for Arsenal...as usual. Blew it last year when we had the AS Monaco matchup. Now it's back to playing Bayern or Barcelona every year in the Round of 16.

F#%k!!!

I couldn't bring myself to root for Chelsea yesterday regardless of how good it would have been for Arsenal.

Plus, Leicester has a tough run of matches coming up over their next 5...they'll be dropping points. I can wait to be top of the table, as long as we're still in contention at the end!

Les, my concern is that Leicester is getting more and more confidence every game. Yes, they're a Cinderella story right now, but what if they find the glass slipper? Could these guys actually win it?

Champions League Knockout Round Of 16 Draw:

• KAA Gent vs Vfl Wolfsburg
  • AS Roma vs Real Madrid CF
  • Paris Saint-Germain vs Chelsea FC
  • Arsenal FC vs FC Barcelona
  • Juventus vs FC Bayern Munchen
  • PSV Eindhoven vs Atletico Madrid
  • SL Benfica vs FC Zenit
  • FC Dynamo Kyiv vs Manchester City FC

Devastating draw for Arsenal...as usual. Blew it last year when we had the AS Monaco matchup. Now it's back to playing Bayern or Barcelona every year in the Round of 16.

F#%k!!!

Just to tag:

Tues. Feb. 16:

SL Benfica vs FC Zenit
Paris Saint-Germain vs Chelsea FC

Wed. Feb. 17:

KAA Gent vs Vfl Wolfsburg
AS Roma vs Real Madrid CF

Tues. Feb. 23:

Arsenal FC vs FC Barcelona
Juventus vs FC Bayern Munchen

Wed. Feb. 24:

PSV Eindhoven vs Atletico Madrid
FC Dynamo Kyiv vs Manchester City FC

Wish they wouldn't have put the Arsenal/Barca and Juve/Bayern fixtures on the same day. Probably (from neutral's perspective) the 2 ties with the most interest (maybe Chelsea/PSG as top 3).
I was hoping that Juve got Bayern as I feel they can push Bayern, perhaps even win the tie, but not likely. Bayern is who I favour to win the tourney this year.

I was hoping that Arsenal got Real as I felt (as long as Rafa is still in charge) that Arsenal could've won that tie.

It appears as thought Jose Mourinho has been sacked at Chelsea.

Saw that, now the Pep rumors will be strong. Van Gaal has another year left at MUFC, but I hope that they can get Pep this summer, as my first choice, Klopp, is at Liverpool.

Ed, I don't know that I would consider it an early Christmas. Chelsea was such a dumpster fire with him there I would have preferred he stay through the entire season.

This sure changes the dynamic of the Arsenal / Chelsea game later in the season.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Ed, I don't know that I would consider it an early Christmas. Chelsea was such a dumpster fire with him there I would have preferred he stay through the entire season.

This sure changes the dynamic of the Arsenal / Chelsea game later in the season.

And the United/Chelsea match on the 28th, to finish out the first round/half of EPL games. This game had 0-0 written all over it, with buses parked all over that pitch. Now, I see Chelsea opening up and United countering, a 4-3 (for the home team) match would not surprise me.

Pep is going to start a bidding war between City and Chelsea, and he can ask his price and his terms, with a year left on VG's contract, chances of him landing on the red side of Manchester are slim.

Dawg, I think this can only help The Arsenal in games with Chelsea now. Wenger doesn't have to get all caught up in the head games Jose was always playing on him. That dude sure knows how to punch Arsene's buttons.

I certainly don't feel sorry for Chelsea or Mourhino, but it appears he was a victim of a mutiny by the players.

Leaves undefeated vs Arsenal. That's the only stat I care about.

I think firing him is a mistake but it's hard to argue w/the results.

And the United/Chelsea match on the 28th, to finish out the first round/half of EPL games. This game had 0-0 written all over it, with buses parked all over that pitch. Now, I see Chelsea opening up and United countering, a 4-3 (for the home team) match would not surprise me.

Pep is going to start a bidding war between City and Chelsea, and he can ask his price and his terms, with a year left on VG's contract, chances of him landing on the red side of Manchester are slim.

Guus Hiddink while not official (yet) is likely going to be the caretaker manager for the remainder of the campaign. He did a phenomenal job in 2009 in a similar situation (the best winning percentage of any manager in Chelsea history other than Ray Wilkens who went 1 win from 1 match).

Pep's already been reached out to and said he doesn't like the squad as we need "10 new players". Yikes! Will be very interested to see if City still do pursue him if they win the league (as I believe they will) this year. Heck they may do what I thought they were going to do in 2013 which is be the first team to ever win the domestic treble.

I believe we'll see some youth start to play more (hopefully) like Rueben Loftus-Cheek and Baba Rahman and maybe Kenedy and Bertrand Traore as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see more movement than normal in January. Would've only expected a tweek or 2 if Mourinho was still there just like the previous 2 years.

EDIT: The thing I want to see more than anything though is consecutive good performances rewarded with points. It seems like even when Chelsea did play well something would still go wrong and we'd end up losing.

EDIT #2: I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else roaming the United sidelines next year. Pep or not, LVG seems to have worn out his welcome even faster than normal. I remember when LVG was still "just in the running" to be the United gaffer, Timmy (where's he at) would say that LVG is a guy that the team will be happiest at his arrival and then his departure. Like Mourinho, he's a bit of a vagabond in that he seems to be at teams for only a few years at a time.

Reactions: GriffDog1
Or maybe I'm truly clueless about English footie. I just thought a game that packs 80,000 plus into Wembley had some impact. Silly me.

Speaking of the Emirates, my father-in-law is taking me to the Arsenal - Bournemouth match on the 28th. It will be my fifth match at the Emirates. So far, we have never lost when I went. Keeping my fingers crossed because if we lose, my father-in-law might not take me back.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Lucky you. The Emirates is a terrific venue for games--comfortable seating, easy access from the Tube, quality concessions. And of course, you get to see The Arsenal live. It doesn't get much better than that.

Reactions: nole31906
Or maybe I'm truly clueless about English footie. I just thought a game that packs 80,000 plus into Wembley had some impact. Silly me.
It's officially an exhibition match. As evidenced by the fact that Chelsea made 4 subs in this past summer's Shield.

Liverpool = new manager/new tactics/new attitude/new hope = same old Peasants. LOL

You have to love Watford, Palace and Leicester this year; shaking up the table from the old guard Big 4 (5).
Most competitive league in the world. Meanwhile, La Liga continues to be a Big 2 and all the rest (see:look who scored
10--count'e em-10 goals today.)

Interesting story/rumour out there is that LVG will be sacked by United this week and replaced by Mourinho. I don't believe it, but it would certainly add some more spice to the Dec. 28th clash at Old Trafford.

EDIT: I could see that in the summer.

United has won 16 Community Shields outright and shared 4 of them, of course they count! Part of me tells me it's just a preseason game, but usually it's two top teams and 80,000 fans, so I think it would count as something more than an overpriced scrimmage.

The Arsenal has brought their A game to this point today--up 2-0 on the Noisy Neighbors, and threatening to get more. Walcott and Giroud with lovely goals, and another assist for Ozil as well.

2-1 final made for a nervy ending, but The Arsenal will spend Christmas Day in 2nd place, 2 points behind Leicester, 4 ahead of Citeh and 7 up on Hotpants and United. Crazy season so far. Leicester in 1st and has only lost once (ONCE!) in the league this year, a home loss to the Gunners no less.

Van Gaal has to be a dead man walking. And if the Peasants can pull the upset, The Arsenal could be playing for 1st place this afternoon!

CYOG!!!

I could have anticipated this...same ol' Arsenal.
Opportunity knocks, and no one wants to answer the door.
3-0 now and they're having their asses handed to them. :mad:

Brutal display.

Brutal.

You guys want to talk about a brutal display? Good lord, United have been unwatchable for a month now. It's been excruciating to watch.

I never thought I'd say this but LVG seems worse than Moyes at the moment. I can't explain what it is but his tactics and strategy have just gone to shit. He must be fired immediately and I can't even imagine if we bring in Jose... please no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT