ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

I've watched my fair share of European football over the years, but I can't remember seeing the "celebration yellows" the refs are giving in this Euro 2016. Did I miss something, or did UEFA just start stressing this? Of course there's going to be an emotional outpouring when a relatively rare score is made in such an important contest. IMO yellows should be for egregious acts...Not for celebrating. Those cards can add up quickly an adversely affect a team's chances with suspensions. (See Copa America and how the U.S. had no chance of hanging with Aregentina with three players out.)

So Vardy's staying at Leicester. Happy for LCFC, and though embarrassing to be snubbed by him, I honestly don't think he was the right fit for the Goons anyway. I think everyone benefits from this non-transfer.

Still need to find a center forward, of course, but no hard feelings over it not being Vardy, IMO.

Reactions: FSUdawg
Here's my picks for the KO stage of the Euros:

Round of 16:

Poland over Switzerland
Croatia over Portugal
Wales over N. Ireland
Belgium over Hungary

Germany over Slovakia
Spain over Italy
France over Ireland
England over Iceland

Quarterfinals:

Croatia over Poland
Belgium over Wales

Spain over Germany
France over England

Semifinals:

Spain over France
Croatia over Belgium

Finals:

Croatia over Spain -> taking a flyer here, but I did pick Croatia to win in the group stage over Spain (even without Modric). Hopefully he's healthy and can go the rest of the way.

Now watch Portugal beat Croatia and Italy beat Spain. :)

I like Croatia a lot, as well, and really enjoy watching them play in their youthful energetic style. I wouldn't mind seeing them win this thing.

Well there goes Croatia. Honestly I think that was one of the most boring games of soccer I have ever seen. Portugal just parked the bus, and Croatia didn't want to take any chances out of fear of the counter attack. Of course in the 116th minute Croatia hits the post and an immediate counter attack yields the only goal of the game.

Somehow I think Belgium emerges from their side of the bracket to meet with Spain (though I hope not) in the final. If Spain makes the final I see them winning their third straight Euro Championship.

Well there goes Croatia. Honestly I think that was one of the most boring games of soccer I have ever seen. Portugal just parked the bus, and Croatia didn't want to take any chances out of fear of the counter attack. Of course in the 116th minute Croatia hits the post and an immediate counter attack yields the only goal of the game.

Somehow I think Belgium emerges from their side of the bracket to meet with Spain (though I hope not) in the final. If Spain makes the final I see them winning their third straight Euro Championship.

First, whoops, got that wrong (Croatia winning it all).

I'm inclined to agree with Spain winning it now. Though I like Poland a lot also. That being said, if Poland gets the lead again, let's hope they don't just sit back and absorb pressure as they surely aren't build to play that style. It's one thing to do that in the last 10-15 mins of a match, but with an entire half to be played it just doesn't work for them. They couldn't find their legs again after that IMO.

Let's hope the next 5 games are better to watch.

At halftime of the Croatia/Portugal game the commentators (I live in Toronto, so likely different than others on here) were talking about how both teams were afraid to lose so they weren't going for it as the winner was probably the favourite to navigate their half of the draw.

Seriously. Portugal/Swiss was the best game and Portugal took the foot off the gas for some reason. It looked like teams that have struggled in the past or never been to the quarterfinals so they sat on the lead.Hopefully tomorrow we see guys go for it.

My English neighbor across the street predicted this yesterday. He was terrified of playing Iceland,
and I see why. What a great story theyare --and leading the fans in that cheer
after the games is so much fun to watch. They make this a college football atmosphere.

As big as an upset as this was today, remember that it was Iceland that defeated the Netherlands twice in qualifying to prevent the mighty Dutch from even being in Euro.

If I was a British footballer, I just book my holidays plan from France. Don't go back to England for a month. But when you hire the Fulham manager that's never coach elite football. What do you expect?

I love it when the minnows rise up and smite the big boys. Leicester was a good example as well (think they said today Leicester has approximately the same population as Iceland. Seriously, what kind of domestic league does Iceland even have? And when do they play, 'cos it can't be in winter.

They have no domestic league and not only that, they have only 100 professional footballers around the globe to pick their 23 man roster from.

100!

Back from Euros, had a nasty cold at the end so been a rough transition bsck to the living/functioning world and work. Internet still sucks in europe so even wifi was barely functional all over not worth posting.

Euros was a mostly positive experience in France. 99% fans were there to have fun and support their team and football in general. The singing was fantastic. The other 1% were British. Problem after problem with Brits. Huge portion of them came only to fight , and not just at games they played in and not just in France. Pathetic honestly. Riots in cities i was in, security policing the areas Brits went to in every city, tons armed personnel constantly on the move babysitting them.

Anyway, the actual Brit/Wales match was intense. Wales by far had the louder more vocal crowd for 75 minutes. I couldn't understand most of their chants but well done. As they went into Portugal park bus mode u could feel England was gonna win it and the crowd noise overtook Wales in the end as they won it late. But it was chillingly loud both ways, honestly louder than 100k football games which is mind boggling for smaller crowds.

The actual security at games was high, much higher than airports, so Brits left the fighting for city streets and bars. Lens, Frahce, was a tiny town that must have had 100k people attend for 38k seats, so the main street was a disaster, locals probably have never seen so many tourists in a month let alone a day.

Other game i saw in person was Slovakia/Russia, good time and great second half. No issues with either fan bases.
Traveled to other french cities where other fan zones were like Nice, no issues outside the fan base i mentioned.

Funny thing was talking to the few normal fans from Britain while traveling they truly believe theyre a world power. No one else does. And in a year the Iceland loss will not have eroded their entitled attitude of their team, they'll expect a trophy in Russia, its total lunacy and i was happy Iceland sent them home.

Enough on them, rest of supporters were mostly fantastic. Sweden, ireland and iceland supporters in particular. Genuinely happy and friendly people. And partying wise theres the Irish and everyone else.

Most were happy I was an American(turks didn't appear to) and i was stunned how many asked why I wasn't at the Centennario, lots of Trump questions too. Some seemed confused i chose Euros over Centen, not a tough call for me.

I also mapped out trip to see Belgium in Brussels, Spain in Barcelona and Portugal/croatia in Lisbon to get a sense for energy of each city. Spains support is epic in town, but the roar when Quaresma scored in Portugal was memorable. Portuguese are pessimistic on their team and tactics and also wonder why they dont play attacking football but been that way for decades, wasting Ronaldo and Figo/Costa before him.

If u like to travel id recommend next Euros in 2020, played in over a dozen cities/countries without a host nation. I wouldn't bring young kids, and Just avoid Brits, and eat street food.

Go Portugal!

Reactions: GwinnettNole
I'm expecting a tremendous match between Poland and Portugal this afternoon. Portugal has proved that it will tactically do anything necessary to win, and Poland has looked as good or better to me than any team in this tournament so far. (I felt they outplayed Germany during their draw.)

I will say as long as the EPL stays at the level that it is then England IS a world power. That's the pressure with coaching England is who to pick and who to play from that league. Lots of talk about who was left at home.

RD, i agree the pressure feels like it's a world power, but roster wise? I can go through my top 100 players in the world, when do I get to an English player? now roster development wise, that's a whole other story the English don't want to get into, they've gone into Barcelona playbook of sign any teenage kid from anywhere on earth, and i think that's hurt them internationally.

Ugly and typical Portugal game but i can't fault them for Poland slowing it down. Cr7 rare bad game in the box. Outside box and movement was excellent but finishing half chances was uncharacteristically brutal. miraculously Portugal won it without him, a rarity. They need this long break to semis to get fit. Glad Sanches started and hopefully he does again, i'd like to see Quaresma start too.

Poland is a huge team, much more technical than anyone gives them credit for. They win so many 50/50 balls and play really well together, Portugal has beaten two very good teams in a row despite not playing well. A good sign for Portugal with some time to scout and practice.

RD, i agree the pressure feels like it's a world power, but roster wise? I can go through my top 100 players in the world, when do I get to an English player? now roster development wise, that's a whole other story the English don't want to get into, they've gone into Barcelona playbook of sign any teenage kid from anywhere on earth, and i think that's hurt them internationally.

The last part will change with Brexit. As it currently stands any country in the EU can sign players as young as 16 from other EU countries. With Brexit, that would change to 18. That will hurt BPL teams as those kids will have already been signed by other powers in other countires.

Demand for Iceland kits is up 1800% over what was forecast. The team's kit supplier can't fill them fast enough, partially b/c of "thousands and thousands of orders from Scotland." LOL

Reactions: nole31906

2 of the top 3 scorers in EPL are British and one sat the bench most of the tournament. That's the problem is getting a solid manager. Harry Redknap was a good choice if he'd just paid his taxes. The problem is England by their Press is expected to make the medal round every tournament and should have won a major title in the last 20 years. England is better overall then most of the top 8 except Argentina, Belguim, and Germany. Spain is getting too old, Chile plays very well but has two stars on that team. Brazil is more a mess then England. Columbia is just flat out overrated. England is just better overall then Uruguay, Portugal, and Austria. Italy has one of their least talent team.

So when you look at the top 8 or 10, you only have a handful that could be considered better which means you're a world power.

It's funny because US fans think the coach is the problem when really it's just developing better players. In England, it really IS coaching and changing the lazy approach to the national team.

Btw, France isn't considered top 8 but they should be after this tournament because they have some great youngish talent. France is another team better then England.

I personally would love to see the Welsh and Icelanders win this weekend; having both in the Final Four would be a real-life fairy tale.

Wales.

SMDH

Wales...

What a performance!
They're just an outstanding team. Bale is a super star of course, but doesn't act like one on his national team. You get 11 guys working together on the pitch with one mind, it's hard to beat. Hoping my Azzurri can do the same against the mighty Germans tomorrow!

Really the only negative for Wales is that Aaron Ramsey is out for the next game vs Portugal (yellows).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT