ADVERTISEMENT

Any EV Owners in the Locker Room?

FSUDoles

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2005
LBTS
We ordered a 2022 Porsche Taycan RWD Saturday and just wondering if any EV owners are satisfied with the availability of charging stations, and more importantly how enjoyable has the experience been with your Electric Vehicle? Our build begins in Zuffenhausen in February, hopefully a delivery in March of 2022. FSU tag should match up pretty well with the cherry metallic. Thanks in advance.
2021-Porsche-Taycan-Cherry.jpg

Still got the Lambo?
We need a car/suv that can be towed 4 down behind out motorhome so an EV is out for us.

Still got the Lambo?
We need a car/suv that can be towed 4 down behind out motorhome so an EV is out for us.
Trading in the Cayman next Friday. I’m gonna miss that car. We’re going to be down to a single vehicle when this one arrives.

Oh man that’s an awesome car. If you haven’t already you may want to download one of the charging station locator apps.

you can at least get a more clear understanding for what is in your proximity ahead of delivery.

Reactions: FSUDoles
Oh man that’s an awesome car. If you haven’t already you may want to download one of the charging station locator apps.

you can at least get a more clear understanding for what is in your proximity ahead of delivery.
Thanks GBR…with the vehicle purchase we get three free years of rapid charging (from 0 to 80% in twenty minutes or so) at Electrify America…we have one about five miles from home. We have a regular free charging station in Lauderdale by the Sea about 100 yards from home…we’re still hoping the condo association installs a charging station in our garage…that would be ideal. Porsche also has an App that you can plot your trip with charging stations in mind. Have a great Sunday!

Reactions: GbrNole
I really like the design and love the color. Why do they give you a time on charging up to 80%? Is charging linear which would make a charge to full in 25 minutes or does it take longer to charge to full? What kind of range can you expect with this vehicle with reasonable driving conditions?

I really like the design and love the color. Why do they give you a time on charging up to 80%? Is charging linear which would make a charge to full in 25 minutes or does it take longer to charge to full? What kind of range can you expect with this vehicle with reasonable driving conditions?
Good morning. Once you get to about 80%…the fast charging slows down fairly dramatically at the 20 minute mark…and at least at Electrify America….they don’t want people waiting for the entire charge. With a regular AC charger, the type you see at Whole Foods, etc….you can leave it on for a few hours if you choose to. Also, with regenerative charging (during braking), the vehicle self charges a bit as well. As for distance, Porsche isn’t where Tesla is…yet. For the 2022s, it looks like 250-300 miles per full charge with a standard battery system…we didn’t opt for the larger battery. This will be our local driver….if we took a road trip out of state…we’d probably rent a car, but we’ll see how quickly charging stations expand in the next year or two….lots to learn about this…

Last edited:
optimal recharging is in the 15-85% zone. EV's also charge more slowly if you run them to zero for the first few percent. The first few percent won't be as slow charging as the last few percent but not nearly as fast as the optimal charging zone.

the taycan is super quick (on the 350kw chargers) for quick top ups. you can add about 80 miles of range in about 10 mins.

Thanks GBR…with the vehicle purchase we get three free years of rapid charging (from 0 to 80% in twenty minutes or so) at Electrify America…we have one about five miles from home. We have a regular free charging station in Lauderdale by the Sea about 100 yards from home…we’re still hoping the condo association installs a charging station in our garage…that would be ideal. Porsche also has an App that you can plot your trip with charging stations in mind. Have a great Sunday!

No EV information, but my wife and I just bought in LBTS back in April. I'll be on the look out for that sweet Porsche running around town.

No EV information, but my wife and I just bought in LBTS back in April. I'll be on the look out for that sweet Porsche running around town.
Thanks….I’m pre trading in my White Cayman Friday…you may have seen (or heard) that one running around El Mar or Commercial. I hope you are enjoying your time in LBTS….big Christmas Tree Lighting tonight….fun event. We won‘t be taking delivery until late March or early April. See ya around 101!

I don't have an EV...have done some rudimentary research but just can't see how it would fit for me (at this point anyway)
Understood….I’m retired and the Mrs. will start working from home again next week, so we’re going to be able to make it with one car….and perhaps a golf cart down the road.

Reactions: Dr. Nole
Understood….I’m retired and the Mrs. will start working from home again next week, so we’re going to be able to make it with one car….and perhaps a golf cart down the road.
That's a scenario I would envision it working for us.

No EV here but a question. How does the charging work? Can you just plug in at home or do you need to use a charging station? And with the stations is it free to charge or do you need to purchase a package or something?

I have a all gas vehicle now but was looking to move into a hybrid once BMW puts out an X6 hybrid model.

No EV here but a question. How does the charging work? Can you just plug in at home or do you need to use a charging station? And with the stations is it free to charge or do you need to purchase a package or something?

I have a all gas vehicle now but was looking to move into a hybrid once BMW puts out an X6 hybrid model.
Eric,

You can plug in at home, but a 110 outlet is only a really short term fix/charging solution, it would take forever. An electrician can install an EV Charger and it will enhance the speed of the charge. We live in a condo without a charger or even any open 110 outlets, so we have to search out options. Porsche provides three years of fast charging at Electrify America stations, and we have two town charging stations in a beach lot that are always available. After three years, if we wanted rapid charges, we would be out of pocket for that expense. Our hope is our condo installs a charging station for any owners of EVehicles in our building.

By the way that X6 Hybrid sounds really nice….very nice vehicle.

I found this about just using a home plug to charge one:

""110-volt charging is slow. Like a snail-paced type of slow. This is okay if you don't drive a lot of miles in a day or have a lot of time in between usage of the car, but for the average driver, a charging rate of adding just a few miles of range per hour is simply unacceptable.""

I have a gas one now. Waiting for the hybrid to come out to trade in. They have a X5 hybrid but I like the X6 a little better.
Heard something interesting during our purchase….next generation Macans and Caymans will be entirely electric. Porsche is getting ahead of what will be a required fairly high percentage of all manufactured vehicles being entirely electric in the not too distant future. This way, they will still be able to manufacture a small percentage of 911s with combustible fuel engines. Sounds like there will also be electric 911s….”the times they are a changin”.

Sounds like my future cars have already been manufactured or will be in the very near future. :(
I think Hybrids will dominate first before entirely electric….this was attractive because we’re getting the sales tax break on two vehicles we’re trading in towards the new vehicle, plus we get a nice 2022 $7500 income tax credit with the purchase of the EV. Not a deduction, a flat credit….so that’s another $7500 off the sticker. Not paying these dumb premium fuel costs will certainly be worth the aggravation of chasing down a charge now and then. Gary….you’ll get something great….gas, hybrid or EV….

Actually, the wife doesn't like her Ford Edge Sport (she wants smaller) so we will probably trade it for a Ford Escape hybrid or Lincoln Corsair hybrid.
I need the ability to tow it behind our motorhome.
I'm thinking of a C7 ZO6 or maybe a C8 if the prices ever return to normal for me.
Maybe you could get them to put in a 50amp dryer plug in your garage. 🍻

Actually, the wife doesn't like her Ford Edge Sport (she wants smaller) so we will probably trade it for a Ford Escape hybrid or Lincoln Corsair hybrid.
I'm thinking of a C7 ZO6 or maybe a C8 if the prices ever return to normal for me.
All gorgeous cars!

Good morning…we’re asking about a solution but condos are a different animal….it needs to be a communal need, and available to all. I would actually pay to have a wall mounted charger installed with our own meter, but they aren’t approving those at this time.

Good morning…we’re asking about a solution but condos are a different animal….it needs to be a communal need, and available to all. I would actually pay to have a wall mounted charger installed with our own meter, but they aren’t approving those at this time.
Sounds like you need to infiltrate the condo association board and work some magic

Not yet. I am on the list for a Rivian R1S. Deposit paid and configured. I am also a shareholder of stock that I was able to purchase before it went live. Yeah to me.

Oh and buy some of that stock people.

Reactions: GbrNole
Heard something interesting during our purchase….next generation Macans and Caymans will be entirely electric. Porsche is getting ahead of what will be a required fairly high percentage of all manufactured vehicles being entirely electric in the not too distant future. This way, they will still be able to manufacture a small percentage of 911s with combustible fuel engines. Sounds like there will also be electric 911s….”the times they are a changin”.
the beating that VW took due to their diesel scandal i can understand why they might want to transition all of their regular and luxury brands to electric as quickly as possible.

Do they calculate the range of the vehicles in "real" world terms...like here in SW Florida we use the A/C most of the year...I imagine that's a killer with an EV's range?

Do they calculate the range of the vehicles in "real" world terms...like here in SW Florida we use the A/C most of the year...I imagine that's a killer with an EV's range?
They all have government range ratings. Not sure if they drive them around in FL to get those mile ranges tho.

it's actually better. extreme heat and cold are a kick in the nuts for range. summer in FL may hurt range a bit but otherwise this state is great for max range from EV's.

oh, and it's rare that any of them achieve their quoted range but a lot, tesla in particular, get very close to it.

there are some good range vids on youtube.

I have a Fisker Karma so not entirely EV. I have a couple of apps that makes it easy to find charging stations. I also had a 240 charging station put into my garage. However, the one thing no one has mentioned...if you are not going to use the vehicle...say you are going on vacation for a week... do not charge it to 100% and let it sit. It would be like filling a ballon to the very edge of breaking and then letting it sit... My car is not a daily driver so I leave it at 80% most of the time as it will extend the life of the battery.

I have a Fisker Karma so not entirely EV. I have a couple of apps that makes it easy to find charging stations. I also had a 240 charging station put into my garage. However, the one thing no one has mentioned...if you are not going to use the vehicle...say you are going on vacation for a week... do not charge it to 100% and let it sit. It would be like filling a ballon to the very edge of breaking and then letting it sit... My car is not a daily driver so I leave it at 80% most of the time as it will extend the life of the battery.
It's too bad that company couldn't make it. Those were great looking cars.

Thank you….I doubt I’ll have it at higher than 80-85% most of the time. We don’t drive very much…and from the research I’ve done….particularly at Direct Charge facilities, the last 15-20% to get to “full” takes way too long. The 20 minute quick charge at Electrify America to go from 5% to 80% is fine with me. We also have a free AC charging a hundred yards from where we live…again, thanks for your response.

Yes. But I have a 2017 Nissan Leaf. Not a car guy. Live in town and it suits our needs for every day driving. But compared to what you guys are looking at, it's like comparing a golf cart to Spacex.

Yes. But I have a 2017 Nissan Leaf. Not a car guy. Live in town and it suits our needs for every day driving. But compared to what you guys are looking at, it's like comparing a golf cart to Spacex.
Mike…is the Leaf a single pedal vehicle? Taycan…like the Teslas, has an accelerator and a brake pedal. The Taycan allows you to turn off regenerative braking….leaving no sense of slowing down upon letting off the accelerator. If it is single pedal, did that take some getting used to?

Mike…is the Leaf a single pedal vehicle? Taycan…like the Teslas, has an accelerator and a brake pedal. The Taycan allows you to turn off regenerative braking….leaving no sense of slowing down upon letting off the accelerator. If it is single pedal, did that take some getting used to?
Mine is not, but that is an option for the second generation models that started in 2018. You can drive single pedal if you put it in that mode, but otherwise it's dual pedal. I did drive a friend's with single pedal and it was a bit odd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT